Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)  (Read 6836 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« on: June 09, 2009, 01:22:10 am »

So apparently the internet has spontaneously decided to read Infinite Jest this summer. All this is seemingly for the sake of a wordplay joke, and that means that I cannot resist.

I will be doing this. It will be my first time reading Infinite Jest.

Who has heard of this? Who is doing this?

Infinite Summer dot org

Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:23:49 am »

That blog post gives me the impression that Infinite Jest must be a lot like listening to Joe Satriani.  That is to say, the dude can play the shit out of the guitar, but he's not making music (at least to my ears).
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 02:34:59 am »

This strikes me as a gimmick that some bloggers came up with to make themselves more famous. And I am sorry to have to say that because a couple of them are favorites of mine.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 03:07:55 am »

What is the wordplay joke?

I read this about 3 years ago on the recommendation of Andalucia (a former TOUAMBie) when I said I really like books with neat footnotes.

It was definitely interesting but I'm still not sure if it's actually good or just obtuse enough that people go, "this is difficult to understand therefore it must be really good"
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 03:21:59 am »

The wordplay joke was "Infinite Summer". Because it makes it sound like the summer is going to be infinite? And maybe I thought it was more clever than it is?

*grins awkwardly*

*hides behind couch*


Toaster is easily impressed.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 03:34:56 am »

I might give it a shot, if I can get my hands on a copy easily and cheaply.  I got a couple hundred pages into it a few years ago.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:53:39 am »

If these people got into a big fight about how to read it, it could be a Crisis on Infinite Jest.

And...

And I'm a nerd.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 07:58:36 am »

I would be all for this except I just read that damn book at the start of the year. Which was my summer anyway? So yeah.

Also yes LFM, yes you are.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 06:38:24 pm »

I remember that book as the largest unread one in Side_Show's collection.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:47:52 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 10:35:53 pm »

Reading that thread, I see that a lot of people here are more interested in jests of the finite variety.

Also, what is the deal with prescriptivism vs. descriptivism? I read about that in Dinosaur Comics.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 11:01:16 pm »

You mean there was a Dinosaur Comic about how TOAUMB can't go five freaking seconds without getting into a discussion of prescriptive vs descriptive grammar? I knew things had gotten out of hand, but that's pretty impressive.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 02:27:02 am »

My girlfriend and I are planning to read Infinite Jest this summer.  It'll be fun. Maybe.

I'll let you know. Maybe.

Glad to see the board is kicking it post-modern school.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 03:33:01 am »

You mean there was a Dinosaur Comic about how TOAUMB can't go five freaking seconds without getting into a discussion of prescriptive vs descriptive grammar? I knew things had gotten out of hand, but that's pretty impressive.

Also: breast-size preference and pubic hair grooming. All topics we can't get enough of.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite Summer (Not Endless Summer)
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 08:29:56 am »

Giraffe placentas alas, seem to have gone the way of the dodo.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up