The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jaydub on June 10, 2009, 10:11:44 pm

Title: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: jaydub on June 10, 2009, 10:11:44 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06102009

Where did the sheep get that fabulous hat?
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: CortJstr on June 10, 2009, 10:24:49 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06102009

Where did the sheep get that fabulous hat?

I don't know but she is workin' it
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Dangermoose on June 10, 2009, 11:52:34 pm
And here I thought "unbidden mittens" was the correct thread title, or at least a New Wave band from Austin.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on June 11, 2009, 12:11:23 am
Ha. This one brought the funny; I am glad the poorly-drawn sheep from the last strip made a return in the service of chuckles.  But it is still undetermined: is the poncho still magic now that is has lost its tag?  Wait for several days and maybe find out!!!
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: wombat on June 11, 2009, 12:41:28 am
I had kind of forgotten that this messageboard is about a comic, but OK, this was worth waiting for.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: AugustWest on June 11, 2009, 01:36:01 am
...but do they call you Iorwerth the wall builder?
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 11, 2009, 03:32:38 am
So... wait... I'm adrift here.

Is the suggestion that the dead Welch talking cat wants to fuck that sheep?

Is it... less beastiality for a talking cat to fuck a sheep or is sentience v. non-sentience the beastiality line?

I'm adrift on the issue.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: pmcd9 on June 11, 2009, 03:48:32 am
My favorite line is Ray's "Well, we got a major benefit in that I don't give a damn about any of that."
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: AugustWest on June 11, 2009, 04:01:25 am
My favorite line is Ray's "Well, we got a major benefit in that I don't give a damn about any of that."

Mine too.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Toaster on June 11, 2009, 04:32:54 am
I don't think sentience is the issue, I think the issue is that animals don't fuck*ng look like people. If you put Zooey Deschanel's brain in a sheep, I would not want to fuck that sheep. Because it would still look like a sheep. But we could be best friends and fight crime and have adventures. And Zooey would be all like, "I can no longer play ukelele with my new ungulated hooves! I am sad!" And I would be all like, "There, there. I will play the ukelele and you can sing along."
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Dangermoose on June 11, 2009, 07:34:47 am
I don't think sentience is the issue, I think the issue is that animals don't fuck*ng look like people. If you put Zooey Deschanel's brain in a sheep, I would not want to fuck that sheep. Because it would still look like a sheep. But we could be best friends and fight crime and have adventures. And Zooey would be all like, "I can no longer play ukelele with my new ungulated hooves! I am sad!" And I would be all like, "There, there. I will play the ukelele and you can sing along."

So then the trouble for Ray is that a sheep is not a cat?  But in this world, cats mix freely with alive stuffed bears and tigers and otters.  So your postulate ---{shut the hell up, DICK}---.  Oh yeah, sorry.

On another note, I was joking today to friends who like the Decemberists (I am tepid) that I'll only really be impressed if they made an album based on the current Achewood storyline.  I even mocked up a couplet based on the last frame to get the thesaurus-happy party started:

"How you have spurned my poncho charity / Dally with beasts and draw my asperity"

I'm aware that this is dangerously close to fanfic, so am putting down the tongs and backing away now.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 11, 2009, 08:27:40 am
So Zooey Deschanel's body with a sheep's brain is significantly less abhorrent?

Is a large anthropomorphized cat really all that different from a sheep that has itself been somewhat anthropomorphized by Mexican magic?

Is it the gulf between a half-peopled cat and a quarter-peopled sheep all that much more than the gulf between Captain Kirk and the four-armed three-tittied green-skinned lady with antennae who got it on every other week with very little word of the squickiness?

Just trying to sort out the actual parameters of what we're talking about here. Are the lines hazier when all concerned are imaginary things?

Would Zooey say you were a baaaaaaaad boy? A very very baaaaaad boy?

(Thank God for rogue message boards.)
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Ruta Bagas on June 11, 2009, 09:12:37 am
So... wait... I'm adrift here.

Is the suggestion that the dead Welsh talking cat wants to fuck that sheep?

Is it... less beastiality for a talking cat to fuck a sheep or is sentience v. non-sentience the beastiality line?

I'm adrift on the issue.

I've indicated the part of this that is significant.

The Welsh predilection for sheep is one of those powerful comedy commonplaces that resists this kind of questioning. If you need a visual illustration, try writing "THE WELSH LOVE SHAGGING SHEEP" on a piece of paper with wax crayon and then washing over it with thin paint.

Also I corrected your spelling, just because I was emboldening it.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 11, 2009, 09:31:36 am
Hm.

The comedy stereotypes I'D heard of for sheep fuck*ng was... the Greeks and New Zealanders.

So, like, Balki Bartokamous, Pappa Papadopolis and Peter Jackson three-teaming a sheep would make perfect comic sense to me. But Welsh?

I dunno. Maybe it's just my particular cultural background but, if the Welsh were considered separate of general British stereotypes at all, they MIGHT be stereotyped as... thrifty and incomprehensible? Sort of a Scottish stereotype, mostly, but sort of hazier, sort of half in the shadows of a campfire?
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 11, 2009, 10:43:24 am
I've indicated the part of this that is significant.

The Welsh predilection for sheep is one of those powerful comedy commonplaces that resists this kind of questioning. If you need a visual illustration, try writing "THE WELSH LOVE SHAGGING SHEEP" on a piece of paper with wax crayon and then washing over it with thin paint.

Also I corrected your spelling, just because I was emboldening it.

I don't know what your problem is, that is a perfectly cromulant spelling.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: herofix on June 11, 2009, 12:46:44 pm
Hm.

The comedy stereotypes I'D heard of for sheep fuck*ng was... the Greeks and New Zealanders.

So, like, Balki Bartokamous, Pappa Papadopolis and Peter Jackson three-teaming a sheep would make perfect comic sense to me. But Welsh?

I dunno. Maybe it's just my particular cultural background but, if the Welsh were considered separate of general British stereotypes at all, they MIGHT be stereotyped as... thrifty and incomprehensible? Sort of a Scottish stereotype, mostly, but sort of hazier, sort of half in the shadows of a campfire?

No, it is a comedy stereotype of the Welsh that they like to shag sheep.  I wouldn't lie to you about this.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: CortJstr on June 11, 2009, 01:19:10 pm
No, it is a comedy stereotype of the Welsh that they like to shag sheep.  I wouldn't lie to you about this.

The only Welsh stereotype I'd ever heard is that they're supposed to be so stupid that they think cheese toast is actually rabbit.

Of course 100% of my knowledge of the Welsh comes from that one episode of Good Eats and The Dark Is Rising books that I read in 5th grade.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: oball on June 11, 2009, 01:30:39 pm
The Welsh, like their southern cousins the Kiwis, are well known for shagging sheep.

I can't say I've ever heard the same stereotype about the Greeks, though.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: jlk7e on June 11, 2009, 04:01:34 pm
I must note here the historical inaccuracy that there was no such thing as "County Gwynedd" in 1676.  The current county of Gwynedd was then divided into the separate counties of Caernarvonshire, Anglesey, and Merionethshire.  "Gwynedd" was, in 1676, only the name of a long extinct Welsh kingdom of the middle ages.

Yes, I am a pedant.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: jaydub on June 11, 2009, 04:02:33 pm
Greek shepherds perhaps.  AFAIK, the Greeks are mostly infamous for buggery.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 11, 2009, 04:21:59 pm
This entire comic was an excuse to use the phrase "Sandmaster Flash."
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Dangermoose on June 11, 2009, 05:35:29 pm
I just have to add that the sheep?

It is a sheep in Hungry Like the Wolf's clothing.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: milhouse on June 11, 2009, 05:38:05 pm
I just have to add that the sheep?

It is a sheep in Hungry Like the Wolf's clothing.

Canned for LOL
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: theinevitable on June 11, 2009, 05:47:57 pm
Quote

Of course 100% of my knowledge of the Welsh comes from that one episode of Good Eats and The Dark Is Rising books that I read in 5th grade.

SOW, I keep seeing well-dressed frenchmen on the metro reading fantasy novels I read in middle school.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 11, 2009, 05:58:08 pm
Hm.

The comedy stereotypes I'D heard of for sheep fuck*ng was... the Greeks and New Zealanders.

So, like, Balki Bartokamous, Pappa Papadopolis and Peter Jackson three-teaming a sheep would make perfect comic sense to me. But Welsh?

I dunno. Maybe it's just my particular cultural background but, if the Welsh were considered separate of general British stereotypes at all, they MIGHT be stereotyped as... thrifty and incomprehensible? Sort of a Scottish stereotype, mostly, but sort of hazier, sort of half in the shadows of a campfire?

there is a county in my state(perry county) where there are rednecks a-plenty and the garages are 2-3 times bigger and more well-maintained than the filthy broken down trailers they live in.  a common joke is: Perry county: where the men are men and the sheep are scared.  ive also heard the same joke applied to people from idaho and wyoming.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: CortJstr on June 11, 2009, 06:13:16 pm
SOW, I keep seeing well-dressed frenchmen on the metro reading fantasy novels I read in middle school.

And which novels would those be?
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Ben-San on June 11, 2009, 07:34:39 pm
The only Welsh stereotype I'd ever heard is that they're supposed to be so stupid that they think cheese toast is actually rabbit.

Welsh rabbit isn't a "Welsh are stupid" stereotype, it's a "Welsh are poor" stereotype - rabbit is the meat you eat when you can't afford to do better than catch vermin, and Welsh rabbit is what you eat when you can't afford vermin.

The Welsh are sheep-fuck*ng poorer-than-dirt leek-loving coal miners. Basically transpose American West Virginia stereotypes and add leeks.

It is an outdated stereotype that the Welsh are also a race of warlocks, but one which I choose to propagate as much as possible.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 11, 2009, 07:39:29 pm
Welsh rabbit isn't a "Welsh are stupid" stereotype, it's a "Welsh are poor" stereotype - rabbit is the meat you eat when you can't afford to do better than catch vermin, and Welsh rabbit is what you eat when you can't afford vermin.

I have heard this theory.  I have also heard that it's because the Welsh are really bad hunters.  So when the Welsh man went out to shoot some dinner and came back empty handed, the Welsh woman came up with cheese sauce on toast.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: herofix on June 11, 2009, 08:15:56 pm
I must note here the historical inaccuracy that there was no such thing as "County Gwynedd" in 1676.  The current county of Gwynedd was then divided into the separate counties of Caernarvonshire, Anglesey, and Merionethshire.  "Gwynedd" was, in 1676, only the name of a long extinct Welsh kingdom of the middle ages.

Yes, I am a pedant.

Canned for pedantry.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: theinevitable on June 11, 2009, 09:44:11 pm
Quote
And which novels would those be?

So far: David Eddings (i checked right before I graduated and only one person had checked this book out from the school library since I did in 1999), Robert Jordan.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 11, 2009, 09:47:20 pm
Afterlife Past and "Real" Past probably have a lot of discrepencies like that going on.

Probably there was an extra fee to change over the political designations and they were like... ah... we're fine, thanks.

Kind of the reverse of magical realism, you know, realistic magic, where there are large and great mystic things like compartmentalized heaven and so forth but a lot of the majesty of the whole thing gets whittled away by zoning laws and paperwork.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 12, 2009, 03:35:49 pm
So then the trouble for Ray is that a sheep is not a cat?  But in this world, cats mix freely with alive stuffed bears and tigers and otters.  So your postulate ---{shut the hell up, DICK}---.  Oh yeah, sorry.

On another note, I was joking today to friends who like the Decemberists (I am tepid) that I'll only really be impressed if they made an album based on the current Achewood storyline.  I even mocked up a couplet based on the last frame to get the thesaurus-happy party started:

"How you have spurned my poncho charity / Dally with beasts and draw my asperity"

I'm aware that this is dangerously close to fanfic, so am putting down the tongs and backing away now.

Simplify using words once spoken by a sheep: Four legs good, two legs bad.

Four legged animals stay together with four legged animals, and once that walk on two legs, like scottish folds and bears and otters, stick with their own.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Dangermoose on June 12, 2009, 06:57:05 pm

Four legged animals stay together with four legged animals, and once that walk on two legs, like scottish folds and bears and otters, stick with their own.


Who will love those with only a third leg, like the great Ice Cube?
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: Lister on June 14, 2009, 09:26:36 am
Robert Jordan.

Was he miserable?  If not he will be soon.

Also: I like how Ray relates to the world by simply superimposing his will on it.  Solipsism is truly its own reward.

Also: "Help ye push it along?  It's not far, is it?"
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Advanced pleasure machinery
Post by: AugustWest on June 14, 2009, 02:24:05 pm
Robert Jordan.

Was he miserable?  If not he will be soon.

No shit.  I read about five of those before I wised up.