The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on June 26, 2009, 06:33:02 pm

Title: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 26, 2009, 06:33:02 pm
As much as I enjoy reading Dan Savage or Cary Tenis or any other of the post-Dear-Abby advice column crowd, I find them wordy. This is mainly because in order to one-up the last column, they have to find more poignant or shocking topics. And to then fill the space they are paid for, they have to equivocate and hem and haw a lot more than they need to. The result is three questions with five paragraph responses, when a one-liner will often do.


I want to see how far I can go with this idea:

https://twitter.com/AskDrProton

It's a Twitter-based advice column, which means that I will give one-line answers to complex problems. In addition, those complex problems have to be phrased in one line, which makes it a bit easier to deal with. BRILLIANCE!

Or not. But feel free to use it.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: CortJstr on June 26, 2009, 06:57:35 pm
Oh man, the urge to ask like 50 bacon-related questions is overwhelming.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 26, 2009, 07:00:33 pm
Oh man, the urge to ask like 50 bacon-related questions is overwhelming.

One per person per day! You have the next two months taken care of.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: wombat on June 26, 2009, 07:38:47 pm
This is brilliant.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 26, 2009, 07:45:10 pm
Ask some questions, people! (serious ones even better). I want to PRIME THE PUMP and BUILD MARKETSHARE
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: theinevitable on June 26, 2009, 11:11:32 pm
My favorite implementation of this was in my friend's zine.
Huge, long, wordy question, ending with

Quote
I really love her, but lately she's been pressuring me to try acid with her. I really want to strengthen our relationship, but I'm really scared. What should I do?

The answer was one word: "Acid."
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 27, 2009, 06:12:28 am
My attempts at such a similar endeavour as "Dr. Opinion" in my journal generally did not go well.

However, the conceits built around the use of the brevity of Twitter are novel.

If I wasn't avoiding signing up for Twitter so as to not be addicted to another damn fool thing on the computer, I would completely think of something.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Choop on June 27, 2009, 07:35:48 am
avoiding signing up for Twitter so as to not be addicted to another damn fool thing on the computer

hear, hear!

@askdrproton my big toe looks infected :(
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 27, 2009, 01:23:03 pm
hear, hear!

@askdrproton my big toe looks infected :(

http://twitter.com/AskDrProton/status/2358595351
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: CortJstr on June 27, 2009, 02:04:04 pm
Bobby, you should use the .@ reply method. The period tricks Twitter into thinking it's a "mention" not a "reply" so that way everybody who's following you sees it.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 27, 2009, 02:05:49 pm
Bobby, you should use the .@ reply method. The period tricks Twitter into thinking it's a "mention" not a "reply" so that way everybody who's following you sees it.

AUGH THIS TECHNOLOGY
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Choop on July 14, 2009, 05:24:01 am
@askdrproton took your advice, done one round of antibio's, no difference but i poo constantly - can i stop w/ the yogurt? (it's activia btw)
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 14, 2009, 05:38:00 am
The horrible secret behind Activia is that it is only optimally effective for hermaphrodites.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Choop on July 14, 2009, 05:56:24 am
those poor hermaphrodites i can't imagine having it worse than this
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 14, 2009, 02:32:07 pm
The horrible secret behind Activia is that it is only optimally effective for hermaphrodites.

I thought that was a myth?
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 14, 2009, 02:33:27 pm
@askdrproton took your advice, done one round of antibio's, no difference but i poo constantly - can i stop w/ the yogurt? (it's activia btw)

actually activia or kefir are pretty good to take during most antibiotic rounds, except with cipro - cipro doesn't really mess with your intestinal flora too much, and the calcium in any sort of dairy product is liable to bind to the cipro and flocculate it out of your system.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: AugustWest on July 14, 2009, 02:44:18 pm
I thought that was a myth?


It is.  In an extensive series of double-blind trials on snails, Activia proved no more effective than any other yogurt at improving digestive health.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 14, 2009, 04:24:12 pm
Yogurt is the official food of women (http://current.com/items/88941392_sarah-haskins-in-target-women-yogurt-edition.htm), you know.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 14, 2009, 05:54:02 pm
It is.  In an extensive series of double-blind trials on snails, Activia proved no more effective than any other yogurt at improving digestive health.

I don't eat any yoghurt that doesn't have cyrillic or arabic script on the bucket, so I wouldn't know
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: wombat on July 14, 2009, 05:56:41 pm
Yogurt is the official food of women (http://current.com/items/88941392_sarah-haskins-in-target-women-yogurt-edition.htm), you know.

Bogus. Everyone knows chocolate is the official food of women.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: lprkn on July 15, 2009, 01:11:32 am
Bogus. Everyone knows chocolate is the official food of women.

Grandpa told me that it was mens' souls. Grandpa's a little bitter, though.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 15, 2009, 01:16:45 am
Grandpa told me that it was mens' souls. Grandpa's a little bitter, though.

So is dark chocolate.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Doc on July 15, 2009, 07:39:51 am
Yogurt is the official food of women (http://current.com/items/88941392_sarah-haskins-in-target-women-yogurt-edition.htm), you know.
I can't load that on my crappy connection but I hope it was building up to  a lactobacillus joke.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Toaster on July 15, 2009, 07:59:14 am
It's the milk of kings.
Title: Re: OPINIONATED MAN USES TWITTER; FILM AT ELEVEN
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 16, 2009, 01:29:49 pm
It's the milk of kings.

Or Khans, if you think about it.

Hey people, ask some advice from Dr. Proton (mostly serious if you can actually have problems for my sake) - I want to build up a good backlog before I try to monetize the mindshare of this.