The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jaydub on July 22, 2009, 04:38:15 pm
-
I keep coming here because the board has a memory of sorts. You can go back and find the funny/tragic/useful stuff we were talking about a year ago - can't do that on FB. I had a brief conversation there where someone dropped some wisdom about firmware for your Linksys router. When I tried to find the info later it was impossible to find.
-
Do you ever read old threads here and come across posts that you personally made but you don't remember at all? I've seen entire conversations on here that I have no memories of.
-
Do you ever read old threads here and come across posts that you personally made but you don't remember at all? I've seen entire conversations on here that I have no memories of.
All the time.
Before I started doing so much writing I imagined that writing would stick in the memory more than talking. But it doesn't necessarily. On the bright side, I can read something I wrote and think it's terribly clever without feeling stuck-up for thinking that, because as far as I can tell, someone else did it.
-
Sometimes I go through and look at old threads, and notice that sometimes I used to be funny.
-
Sometimes I go through and look at old threads, and notice that sometimes I used to be funny.
I disagree.
You were never funny. BOOM!
-
I disagree.
You were never funny. BOOM!
STFU or I will stab you in the neck with my pen.
-
We could do with a pens-in-neck tracker alongside our Dr Pepper count.
-
We could do with a pens-in-neck tracker alongside our Dr Pepper count.
I think we toyed with the idea of Onion Offense Cards at some point. But I guess we'll just have to make do with negative cans.
-
Should it bother me that I really like this idea?
Me too.
-
STFU or I will stab you in the neck with my peen.
hehehe
-
I keep coming here because the board has a memory of sorts. You can go back and find the funny/tragic/useful stuff we were talking about a year ago - can't do that on FB. I had a brief conversation there where someone dropped some wisdom about firmware for your Linksys router. When I tried to find the info later it was impossible to find.
So basically, it boils down to search functions.
-
So basically, it boils down to search functions.
Well, sort of - community has something to do with it too. We build something of a community here. Facebook sort of leeches off community that already exists.
-
Right. This is what makes me so sad about Facebook. The internet used to be where you went to interact with people that you'd never have met otherwise. Now it's where people hang out with people they already know. It used to make a person's world bigger and expose them to points of view they might not otherwise experience. Oh well, I guess there was no way that could last.
-
Don't be such a pessimist. You can do both, you know.
-
But I am a paranoid and awkward person who needs anonymity to interact with other people! And I assume that everyone else is just like me!
I totally get were you're coming from Wombles, although I think I kind of missed the golden age of online interaction.
-
Yeah. I identify with this line of thought.
I remember when it was an essential part of the human experience to lose touch with all but your closest friends from every phase of your life.
Now everyone who ever knew you even slightly is your friend on like three or four different platforms and knows all your deepest and most random thoughts all the time.
It as if our ability to evolve over our lives has been erased to the point of erasing even the memory of the ability to evolve.
Everything we have ever been lingers in electronic amber all the fuck at once.
All is remembered, nothing forgiven. Paper trails of your every followed fad and failure like the chains of Jacob Marley, trailing us forever and ever amen.
I mean, I remember the Golden Age of The Internet too, when the early adopters amoungst those who did not actually know how to field-strip and programme, the first people whom internet-literacy and computer-literacy were not synonymous were all crawling out from under rocks and getting to know all kinds of people from all over the world like a bunch of jolly pirates with jolly-pirate nicknames and everything was fresh and new.
It was pretty fuck*ng amazing for a little while there.
-
I wonder if the Golden Age of the Internet and the Golden Age of Ham Radio were similar.
-
I don't know, though, I think I may have squandered that internet age of wonder myself.
Fell in with a community of people committed to meeting up at conventions to have lonely-people sex in hotel rooms and/or create the illusion of friendship with the moderately famous... and all the fucked-up psychodrama that spins out of people chasing those ghosts. Tin-hat junior-high gossip tornadoes. Dime-store Machiavellis, a handful to a nickel. Munchausen by proxy-server real folk blues. Wheels within fifth wheels. Madness in every direction.
Basically, there's only two internet message boards I'm still an even remotely regular part of... here and a Mets message board where I am sort of the token messenger of rational pessimism.
Take this as great compliment, guys and girls, I love you tangental agendaless rogue motherfuckers.
I adore this little vestigular corner of the internet world, random imaginary people talking about whatever in a mostly intelligent manner.
You. Are. Rad.
EDIT: CB Radio too, from my father's tell of it.
-
One of the many reasons I like this place is that it is not too big, or too small.
-
Hmmm, I think I prefer its positioning between "hard" and "soft."
-
All is remembered, nothing forgiven. Paper trails of your every followed fad and failure like the chains of Jacob Marley, trailing us forever and ever amen.
This guy posted on my wall the other day something like "I should have been nicer to you in junior high." Thing is, I can't even remember who the fuck he is. I guess if he was really a dick this is like the ultimate fuck you. I don't even remember the asshole! I know for some people Facebook can bring back some bad memories. It can't even do that for me.
-
I remember when it was an essential part of the human experience to lose touch with all but your closest friends from every phase of your life.
Based on my understanding of human history this was like 20 or 30 years out of the last million.
Maybe I can have a catchphrase that is like "bein' a dick about knowledge"
-
Okay. Point?
However:
I was promised, by my culture, the ability to run away from my actions and my communities over and over and over again until I got things right and I got to stay there, where everyone thought I was smart and awesome and flawless until the day I died. The concept of America definitely signed a document promising this when I was born. I am definitely sure of this. Notaries were present.
And now my culture pulls a total dick move and people who remember me from when I was eight and didn't eat vegetables for two months after seeing that Gilligans Island where they were almost poisoned by radioactive vegetables can totally know everything about me as I push dangerously close to thirty.
Dick move, culture, dick move.
-
Don't be such a pessimist. You can do both, you know.
Yes, but I'm afraid most people aren't.
As for LFM's point I guess I always believed that everything you did was part of your Permanent Record. Although I guess to some extent I have done what you describe. You can always refuse those friend requests and ignore emails, anyway. That's not the problem. You know the real problem is that you bring yourself with you every time, right?
-
Yes, but I'm afraid most people aren't.
But we ARE, which is all that matters. There'll be a community here for as long as we want there to be. All we have to do is keep coming.
-
Everything we have ever been lingers in electronic amber all the fuck at once.
Registration still optional.
-
Registration is definitely still optional, with the caveat that you get to have every person you ever knew think you're a dick on the internet for ignoring them and thinking you're better than them, every time the next fad social networking platform comes along, every year or three.
I dunno.
And, yeah, I know that is not what America promised but... it's the way I feel like the only way I could get myself out of this rut, if it worked like that.
So pretending that it was promised as such made me feel better at the literal and figurative 2 AM of the soul.
"So yeah."
-
with the caveat that you get to have every person you ever knew think you're a dick on the internet for ignoring them and thinking you're better than them
Color me old, but sometimes this is a Good Thing. Also dude, didn't you hear, they've been successfully fighting 2 AMs of the soul for years already with vodka.
-
so, I really want to post these Avett Brothers lyrics, but when they are not sung in a simple voice with pleasing guitar in the background they sound... not as nice.
But I like:
Disappear from your hometown
Go and find the people that you know
Show them all your good parts
Leave town when the bad ones start to show
...
The weight of lies will bring you down
And follow you to every town
Cause nothin happens here
That doesn’t happen there
So when you run make sure you run
To something and not away from
Cause lies don’t need an aero-plane
To chase you anywhere
-
Not to get too too downer but...
I mean, my brother was a border-line alcoholic before his seizure disorder kicked up and, like...
Alcohol reacts horribly with his seizure medication so we do not keep alcohol in the house so that he will not be tempted.
-
But LFM, there are these places called 'bars,' where you can go OUT to drink.
-
I remember when it was an essential part of the human experience to lose touch with all but your closest friends from every phase of your life.
So...a brief time in the western world after the invention of the automobile, but before the invention of facebook?
-
Based on my understanding of human history this was like 20 or 30 years out of the last million.
Oh, I see that someone covered this already.
-
For what it's worth, those are the 20-30 years our whole culture is based on.
Also, where did alcohol come from? Like talking about it in this thread, I mean.
-
It was said that I should deal with this feelings with vodka, Keith.
In bars. But (a) I hate bars and (b) there are no bars within walking distance/I do not drink and drive.
But yeah. Well said, K.
If those twenty to thirty years are the basis of our culture as it stood, it should also be noted that I am less than thirty and more than twenty.
-
Alcohol reacts horribly with his seizure medication so we do not keep alcohol in the house so that he will not be tempted.
Let's solve this motherfucker. Say, you have a treehouse?
-
Or a bicycle?
-
get off ash's lawn
-
Who?
-
Yeah, I guess I would say this started in the 1930's in my opinion, just went with the whole 20-30 year thing cause it was there.
Great Depression, WWII, GI Bill, and comfortable children of GI Bill people, mixed with cheap cars and interstates. The Beats man, the beats.
-
there was some sort of reasoning I went through to arrive at my blurted-out number of 30 years, but I do not recall what it was.
maybe just because the first "leave everything behind" generation in my family was my parents.
-
get off ash's lawn
We need to go farther than this, we are missing all kinds of other useful techniques.
Webcomics guest star Wil Wheaton and I discussed the most effective techniques of being a grumpy old guy telling kids to stay the hell of our respective lawns — he favors the cane to gesture with, I’m going with chucking the pears that fall of my pear tree at the little whippersnappers. We agree that releasing the hounds is something you have to hold in reserve, but I’ve just thought of another issue … when do we get the garden hose?
-That guy Gary from Fleen (http://www.fleen.com/archives/2009/07/25/saturday-update-why-do-i-do-this-to-myself/)
-
Yesterday will always have a hazy warm glow. Nostalgia is the quiet mourning of impermanence.
Facebook didn't sneak up and destroy the internet yesterday. Facebook also isn't why interactions are down on this message board.
Assetbar has a lot to do with that. Why go look for a community, when it is right there wrapped around the thing you want to talk about? (By this reckoning, hot dog carts are FUCKED when the hotdog factory opens a restaurant in the factory. Then again, maybe not - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhwXPsTaRgc)
I think another part of it may be that you guys are kind of a tough community to crack. The seven* of you come off as very closed off to outsiders and every post needs to be 99th percentile. This is, of course, unless you're one of the seven ordained, and can post at will.
(I've decided that there are only seven regulars here. I know the number is more like 14, but seven has a better fairy tale quality.)
-
Smick surely has a point about why there are not as many noobs as there used to be, but we just need to make more of an effort to promote our niche. TOUAMB: The Online Community For People Too Cheap to Pay for Assetbar.
But there are still many incidents of The Seven Regulars having conversations on Facebook that could just as well happen here so I'm not letting anyone off the hook for that.
-
Am I still one of the 7?
-
The magic of it is that everyone has their own list of the seven.
-
The magic of it is that everyone has their own list of the seven.
I thought there was some kind of elaborate single elimination tournament to become one of The Seven.
-
I thought there was some kind of elaborate single elimination tournament to become one of The Seven.
Let's get this shit started.
-
TOUAMB: The Online Community For People Too Cheap to Pay for Assetbar.
TOUAMB: The Online Community For People Who Remember Grammar and Can't Declare Achewood Infallible Despite Quite Liking It.
-
I thought there was some kind of elaborate single elimination tournament to become one of The Seven.
-Bake Bread
-Rap with a Con
-Car Think-off
-Dog Challenge
-
I've done challenge two, and could probably win challengefour, but don't even know what the third competition is. I think my chances are decent.
-
Possibly the bigger problem is how few of the magnificent Seven even post here regularly any more? I mean Bobby only just started showing up regular again and is Jough even alive? Who knows?
Anyway I thought all differences here were decided in the ancient manner: Prescriptivist vs Descriptivist in the steel cage!
-
Jough is actually using FB more and Twitter less, oddly enough.
-
Possibly the bigger problem is how few of the magnificent Seven even post here regularly any more?
Well, they're pretty much all dead. Eli Wallach and Robert Vaughn are still left, sure, but they never posted much anyway.
-
Well I guess the only thing left to do now is to post our list of who these glorious seven are.
-
Well I guess the only thing left to do now is to post our list of who these glorious seven are.
No! Don't spoil the mystery. We each know in our hearts.
-
We need the canonical 7 and the apocryphal 7 and then the dead VIP section scrolls.
-
We need the canonical 7 and the apocryphal 7 and then the dead VIP section scrolls.
We talked (http://chiaroscu.ro/touamb.jpg) about this.
-
We talked (http://chiaroscu.ro/touamb.jpg) about this.
I has a breefcase.
-
I am pretty sure I am not one of the seven. I have never used F5 on the touamb site.
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ever have considered using this picture from my past as an avatar anywhere else. All the other communities I'm part of are full of strangers.