Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck  (Read 6994 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« on: July 22, 2009, 04:38:15 pm »

I keep coming here because the board has a memory of sorts.  You can go back and find the funny/tragic/useful stuff we were talking about a year ago - can't do that on FB.  I had a brief conversation there where someone dropped some wisdom about firmware for your Linksys router.  When I tried to find the info later it was impossible to find. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 04:45:45 pm »

Do you ever read old threads here and come across posts that you personally made but you don't remember at all? I've seen entire conversations on here that I have no memories of.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 09:29:36 pm »

Do you ever read old threads here and come across posts that you personally made but you don't remember at all? I've seen entire conversations on here that I have no memories of.

All the time.

Before I started doing so much writing I imagined that writing would stick in the memory more than talking. But it doesn't necessarily. On the bright side, I can read something I wrote and think it's terribly clever without feeling stuck-up for thinking that, because as far as I can tell, someone else did it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 09:31:49 pm »

Sometimes I go through and look at old threads, and notice that sometimes I used to be funny.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:01:22 pm »

Sometimes I go through and look at old threads, and notice that sometimes I used to be funny.

I disagree.


You were never funny. BOOM!
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 10:02:47 pm »

I disagree.


You were never funny. BOOM!
STFU or I will stab you in the neck with my pen.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 10:14:26 pm »

We could do with a pens-in-neck tracker alongside our Dr Pepper count.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 10:23:16 pm »

We could do with a pens-in-neck tracker alongside our Dr Pepper count.

I think we toyed with the idea of Onion Offense Cards at some point. But I guess we'll just have to make do with negative cans.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 02:18:24 am »

Should it bother me that I really like this idea?

Me too.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:03:40 am »

STFU or I will stab you in the neck with my peen.

hehehe
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 03:12:13 pm »

I keep coming here because the board has a memory of sorts.  You can go back and find the funny/tragic/useful stuff we were talking about a year ago - can't do that on FB.  I had a brief conversation there where someone dropped some wisdom about firmware for your Linksys router.  When I tried to find the info later it was impossible to find. 

So basically, it boils down to search functions.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 09:58:33 pm »

So basically, it boils down to search functions.
Well, sort of - community has something to do with it too.  We build something of a community here.  Facebook sort of leeches off community that already exists.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 10:47:50 pm »

Right. This is what makes me so sad about Facebook. The internet used to be where you went to interact with people that you'd never have met otherwise. Now it's where people hang out with people they already know. It used to make a person's world bigger and expose them to points of view they might not otherwise experience. Oh well, I guess there was no way that could last.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 02:59:56 am »

Don't be such a pessimist.  You can do both, you know.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 03:51:21 am »

But I am a paranoid and awkward person who needs anonymity to interact with other people! And I assume that everyone else is just like me!

I totally get were you're coming from Wombles, although I think I kind of missed the golden age of online interaction.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up