The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on July 29, 2009, 01:10:27 pm

Title: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: wombat on July 29, 2009, 01:10:27 pm
His MySpace blog.
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=68141876 (http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=68141876)

As is to be expected, his real life is not as fascinating as his art. Maybe if he'd mention the dog.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: smick on July 29, 2009, 10:21:40 pm
Whathtemyspace?!
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 30, 2009, 03:02:45 pm
What's an Onstad and why would we stalk it?
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: Cioran on August 03, 2009, 06:47:39 pm
angry samoans
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: Cioran on August 05, 2009, 11:45:44 pm
Here is an excellent blog post by the Stad.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=68141876&blogId=503980314

Quote
August 5, 2009 - Wednesday
Facebook phenomenon.
Current mood:  amorous

It's Rick's "big important wedding anniversary" today, so we can't play Wii Golf, even though I finally figured out how to get my Mii data onto my handset so I could bring it to his house. Well, I hope they're having fun, because I'm not.

Wait...I am! I am having a strange kind of fun. Listen.

So, I wrote on Facebook, "Chris Onstad has Zapruder footage of Barack Obama being born in North Korea. Call or text. The Truth must be Known."

Some people got the yuk that I was putting a thin one across the "birther" idea, but some did not. Oh, some did not. Some grade school acquaintances "liked" the comment. I clicked on their profiles. They had recently joined things like IMPEACH OBAMA A LOT STRONG, etc. One of the Ayn Rand quoting people was there, incorrectly liking what I said.

It was fun, in a way, to be misconstrued by the walking insane. It was helpful to be reminded that the walking insane grew up alongside us. It was the kind of fun you have when you outgrow the Wet Banana and are 34. Oh, how fun changes, my children. Oh, how fun becomes less about splashing people and more about morbid curiosity regarding their pathologically seeded, unchecked intellectual vectors.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: pmcd9 on August 06, 2009, 12:15:48 am
That sounds strangely familiar, but not Onstad like. 
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: Cioran on August 06, 2009, 01:14:33 am
I think the man's got a wider range than shows up in the strip.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: pmcd9 on August 06, 2009, 01:44:41 am
It sounds like someone trying to write like Onstad.  But the big hint... wasn't there someone on this board said they have a Facebook contact that posts Ayn Rand quotes everyday? 
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: miles on August 06, 2009, 02:37:37 am
It sounds like someone trying to write like Onstad.  But the big hint... wasn't there someone on this board said they have a Facebook contact that posts Ayn Rand quotes everyday? 

Doesn't everyone have that contact?
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: theinevitable on August 06, 2009, 06:23:10 am
My friend's best friend works for some shitty magazine, and she (my friend) posted an article the girl wrote that literally just said...

a lot of people hate on Ayn Rand, but I think she's really great! I think she's good, you know. I like how she writes. And man, her sex scenes. Let me tell you, I like Ayn Rand a whole bunch.

(aren't all of her sex scenes about, like, "i raped her, and she liked it after a while"? I have heard that.)

Then she got really mad because I responded "this article is horribly written."
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: miles on August 06, 2009, 06:44:08 am
I've only read The Fountainhead and it was over 12 years ago, but I think you're basically right about the sex scenes. Incindentally, someone recently gave me Atlas Shrugged as a gift. I'd feel bad if the next time I see this person I tell her I haven't read it, but it's too fuck*ng long for a courtesy read.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: Doc on August 06, 2009, 06:55:57 am
(aren't all of her sex scenes about, like, "i raped her, and she liked it after a while"? I have heard that.)


I've only read Atlas Shrugged and it was more like 'He raped me and I liked it' which is kind of worse.

But yeah that story did sound oddly familiar, particularly the crazy ex school friend part. Maybe we are one step closer to find out which one of us is really Onstad?
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 06, 2009, 11:03:12 am
Doesn't everyone have that contact?
Yep.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: dejavroom on August 06, 2009, 11:10:30 am
Miles canned for "courtesy read". The concept is appalling but yes, who's the social animal, uh? Who's society's little animaal??
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: jaydub on August 06, 2009, 06:28:28 pm
Oh, jeebus.  The courtesy read.  I'm totally guilty of that - to the point where I will avoid a person if they've handed me a book I'm supposed to read until I've "done my homework".  Fortunately I have an off-the-books Minor in bullshitting, so I can usually fake my way through a conversation about a book I've skimmed.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 06, 2009, 07:36:28 pm
Did you bullshit your way through your bullshit bullshit minor?
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: smick on August 06, 2009, 08:51:29 pm
He mentions "No giraffe, Go giraffe!" a restaurant that I can only exuberantly endorse.

Should you come through PDX at any point, you should likely have lunch there.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: miles on August 06, 2009, 10:41:13 pm
so I can usually fake my way through a conversation about a book I've skimmed.

Change "conversation" to "paper" and that's how I got my degree in philosophy.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: jaydub on August 06, 2009, 11:08:37 pm
Did you bullshit your way through your bullshit bullshit minor?
Hey!  A little respect for higher education achievements is in order!
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2009, 12:08:38 am
my favorite professor here basically told me that the reason I am so far behind in the reading is that everyone else in the class has already completed their minor in bullshitting, whereas I am still an undergrad.

I only have two settings: actually read everything, or read nothing and fail at bullshitting. This is what I am working on.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: pmcd9 on August 07, 2009, 12:44:13 am
Seriously, who was it said they had a Facebook friend who posted Ayn Rand quotes everyday?
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: Choop on August 07, 2009, 12:52:06 am
could it have been smets going off on something he imagined again?
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: Toaster on August 07, 2009, 01:16:55 am
It was A-Cap, in this thread: http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4989.0.html and also Teodor, in the strip for that thread: http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06232009

Search box, dudes.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: pmcd9 on August 07, 2009, 04:13:44 am
I used the search box and couldn't find it.  Thanks and canned!

Ok so that makes sense now.  It was Teodor and by extension Onstad who has a friend posting Ayn Rand quotes.

Or is it?
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 07, 2009, 05:02:52 am
If I can ever get my shit done and published, it is one of my dreams to be regarded as "the anti Ayn Rand".

If my life's work could simply cancel out hers, fuck, job well done.

ALSO: I don't know. I imagine a lot of things, I can't keep track of it all.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 07, 2009, 01:47:52 pm
If I can ever get my shit done and published, it is one of my dreams to be regarded as "the anti Ayn Rand".

If my life's work could simply cancel out hers, fuck, job well done.

ALSO: I don't know. I imagine a lot of things, I can't keep track of it all.

Today's SMBC is so relevant to this.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 13, 2009, 06:27:40 pm
If I can ever get my shit done and published, it is one of my dreams to be regarded as "the anti Ayn Rand".

If my life's work could simply cancel out hers, fuck, job well done.

ALSO: I don't know. I imagine a lot of things, I can't keep track of it all.
So your life long ambition is to troll ayn rand fans?
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: theinevitable on August 14, 2009, 12:47:52 am
I feel like the anti-ayn-rand would be like... karl marx or j.j. rousseau or someone. you know, who wrote things that are the opposite of her, including making their points without creating fictional worlds.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: Doc on August 14, 2009, 01:02:34 am
I think the anti-ayn rand would be a novelist.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2009, 01:14:48 am
I think the anti-ayn rand would be a novelist.

ZING!

That's earned you one objectivist can of good ol' Dr. Pepper.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: dejavroom on August 14, 2009, 11:20:31 am
Make that two.
Title: Re: For Onstad-stalkers
Post by: atalkingdog on August 31, 2009, 03:06:21 am
I feel like the anti-ayn-rand would be like... karl marx or j.j. rousseau or someone. you know, who wrote things that are the opposite of her, including making their points without creating fictional worlds.

The anti-Ayn Rands are American.  Henry Carey.  Thorstein Veblen.  John Adams.  Abe Lincoln.  Alf Landon.  Mark Twain.  Theodore Roosevelt.    Cornelius Vanderbilt.  Andrew Carnegie(became American).  Davy Crockett.