The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Asherdan on August 07, 2009, 04:21:27 pm

Title: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: Asherdan on August 07, 2009, 04:21:27 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 07, 2009, 04:26:51 pm
We watched Weird Science about eight hundred times in high school.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: CortJstr on August 07, 2009, 04:27:14 pm
I hope this is real because it's a great story: http://wellknowwhenwegetthere.blogspot.com/2009/08/sincerely-john-hughes.html
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 07, 2009, 04:36:09 pm
See, I thought this was about how to separate early great John Hughes from later... regrettable John Hughes.

When you call him up on imdb, the credit that shows up on the page where you separate him out from people with similar names, the credit is "writer - Home Alone 2: Lost In New York" for God's sake. The loss of perspective, the downfall into self-obsessed fatherhood and the creative laziness that comes with having your three houses all paid off... and then right off the cliff into strict kiddie treacle.

That first hint "She's Having A Baby" all the way down that hell-ride, all the way to co-writing "Maid In Manhattan" under a pen name.

Yet... man. Dude had a six or seven year run like nobody's business. "Vacation" to "Planes Trains and Automobiles".

And on the other hand other hand other hand though, Willie Mays, lost out there in the canyon that was Shea's outfield, writing fuck*ng "Flubber".

Life is goddamned weird. Rest in peace, nonetheless, talented dude I never met.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: AugustWest on August 07, 2009, 06:22:30 pm
I think Jay and Silent Bob finally got him.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2009, 07:27:44 pm
I absolutely love the movies of his that I've seen. Brilliant.

Although, of course, DUCKIE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE GIRL.

I would like to hear a story where a film was changed after focus-grouping, and it was better afterwards.

(the latest failure of this being the decision that "Let the Right One In" is too long of a movie title for Americans. WHAT!?)
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: pmcd9 on August 07, 2009, 09:30:49 pm
I always thought John Hughes was that guy that made syrupy teen movies that I was never interested in because I was in my 20s by that point.

But I heard his obit on the radio yesterday and he did Planes Trains and Automobiles and Vacation two of the funniest movies ever made.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: lprkn on August 07, 2009, 10:36:25 pm
"Let the Right One In" is too long of a movie title for Americans. WHAT!?)

What indeed. Let's get some more Assasinations of Jesse James by the Cowards Robert Ford up in this piece. I was more offput by the fact that they're doing an American remake of this one in the first place, when the original was nearly perfect just the way it was. See also: Steven Spielberg, Harvey

I've appreciated most of the John Hughes movies that I've seen, although The Breakfast Club falls into the category of "Things That Other People Love That I Merely Think are Okay."
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2009, 10:37:25 pm
yeah, I wasn't so into Breakfast Club when I saw it.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: Toaster on August 08, 2009, 01:44:49 am
"So what do you do on TOUAMB?"

"Well, we get together, and we talk about cartoon cats, properties of cartoon cats."

"So it's kinda social. Demented and sad, but social."

***

"Ray Smuckles, hip-hop king of Achewood?"

"The same."

***

"It's a 1965 Ford Galaxie with the cammer 427 657 bhp so choice if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up dogg."
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 08, 2009, 01:54:35 pm
I was kindly informed by Mrs. Isosceles today that, for over twenty years or so, I did not know that John Hughes and John Waters were separate people. Pop culture fail.

Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 08, 2009, 03:21:49 pm
I've talked to people who couldn't tell John Waters from ROGER Waters and so...

Somehow, somewhere, someone must have all three of them confused.

Which is really interesting, I think.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: theinevitable on August 08, 2009, 08:40:37 pm
The Osmonds and the Osbournes.

That one took until like 8th grade.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: AugustWest on August 08, 2009, 09:25:45 pm
I've talked to people who couldn't tell John Waters from ROGER Waters and so...

Somehow, somewhere, someone must have all three of them confused.

Which is really interesting, I think.

It's a coming of age movie about a teenager who takes too much LSD and chops up his friend Eugene with an axe...
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 09, 2009, 02:52:18 am
in my youth i would confuse 'beastie boys' with 'beach boys'(not pertaining to musical stylings, just in name)

i also thought that the dude from blue oyster cult was singing, "dont fear the reefer!"
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: CortJstr on August 09, 2009, 03:10:25 am
Nelly and Nelli Fertado (sp?)

Fat Mike and Fat Joe
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: jaydub on August 11, 2009, 04:33:47 am
(http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:UyVCnOXnISjUdM:http://www.goldensilents.com/stars/lonchaneyportrait.jpg)Lon Chaney and Lon Chaney Jr.(http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:5U2pw3F9JYoZeM:http://gammillustrations.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tal01.jpg)
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: dejavroom on August 11, 2009, 12:35:50 pm
The Osmonds and the Osbournes.

Ambrose Bierce, Pierce Brosnan... I mean, not actually getting them mixed up, more like saying the name of one when I mean the other, always.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: AugustWest on August 11, 2009, 12:37:08 pm
(http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:UyVCnOXnISjUdM:http://www.goldensilents.com/stars/lonchaneyportrait.jpg)Lon Chaney and Lon Chaney Jr.(http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:5U2pw3F9JYoZeM:http://gammillustrations.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tal01.jpg)

Hey! I saw him talking to the Queen!
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: AugustWest on August 11, 2009, 12:37:54 pm
Marcel Proust and Shemp Howard.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: CortJstr on August 11, 2009, 01:40:30 pm
Ambrose Bierce, Pierce Brosnan... I mean, not actually getting them mixed up, more like saying the name of one when I mean the other, always.

I do this with Charles Bronson and Pierce Brosnan
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 11, 2009, 04:09:46 pm
Bill Pullman, Bill Paxton, of course.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: jaydub on August 11, 2009, 04:18:20 pm
Bill Pullman, Bill Paxton, of course.
Good one.

I'm having trouble with these, because it requires remembering errors that I have tried to forget.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: Turbo Ninja on August 11, 2009, 05:08:45 pm
John Hughes bought dinner for my high school theater department.

When I was a freshman at an all-boys Jesuit high school not exactly known for our theater program (we had to draft female actors from the all-girls school across town), we did this production called "The Worst High School Play In The World."  Lame jokes, bad songs, simple choreography - exactly the kind of thing that wouldn't make us look too talentless and awful.

Our director was one of the Jesuit Novices (not yet a Brother), a young guy who insisted he was an extra in Flatliners while studying at Loyola Chicago and was therefore the most showbizy Jesuit ever.  He wrote to a ton of celebrities and asked them for autographed 8x10's telling us to break a leg, which he posted on a huge glittery bulletin board outside the theater doors. (Now that I think about it, it was probably sarcastic but we took it as really cool and supportive at the time.)  I remember head shots from Vanna White and Tony Danza with their words of encouragement.

John Hughes didn't send an autographed picture.  Instead, he sent us $500.  This was the coolest thing ever.  We sent back an autograhed cast picture and program.  We spent the money on a big party at the Italian banquet room up the road from our school after the last show of the run. 

I can't watch any of his movies (National Lampoon's Vacation has been on the Travel Channel a lot lately) without thinking about how cool it was that this guy just sent us a considerable sum of money with no obvious benefit or return expected, particularly when so many people didn't send back a damn thing.  I hope one day I'm in a position where random schools ask me for a donation just so I can pay it back.  Thanks, John.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: CortJstr on August 11, 2009, 05:12:37 pm
John Hughes bought dinner for my high school theater department.

When I was a freshman at an all-boys Jesuit high school not exactly known for our theater program (we had to draft female actors from the all-girls school across town), we did this production called "The Worst High School Play In The World."  Lame jokes, bad songs, simple choreography - exactly the kind of thing that wouldn't make us look too talentless and awful.

My school tried this as a one-act. We called it Half a Loaf of Teen Angst. The judges at the districts competition were not fond of it as they considered all comedies worthy of only contempt. Plus it wasn't all that good.


(Think of this post as a palate cleanser. Now whoever posts next doesn't have to follow TN's awesome post and feel inadequate)
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: dejavroom on August 11, 2009, 05:25:53 pm
John Hughes bought dinner for my high school theater department.

Cool story.



"Uvula" for "vulva". For... quite some time, actually, half-drunk, at a party, before the look of utter incomprehension/shock/horror of friends and strangers. Raving about the soreness of the then girlfriend's vulva UVULA, due to an infection. It all started innocently enough with me blurting "she can't even talk really, you should see her vulva, it's all swollen and red, it's really gross."
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: CortJstr on August 11, 2009, 05:43:26 pm
Cool story.



"Uvula" for "vulva". For... quite some time, actually, half-drunk, at a party, before the look of utter incomprehension/shock/horror of friends and strangers. Raving about the soreness of the then girlfriend's vulva UVULA, due to an infection. It all started innocently enough with me blurting "she can't even talk really, you should see her vulva, it's all swollen and red, it's really gross."

My dad does this with prostrate for prostate. I don't know if he ever reverses it since prostrate comes up in conversation even less frequently than prostate does.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 11, 2009, 05:49:45 pm
Quote from: Turbo Ninja
a young guy who insisted he was an extra in Flatliners

If I ever start runnin' around saying that the fact that I've been an extra in a movie was the high point in my life, please, please kill me.

We are coming up on my thirtieth birthday and this is the only favour I ask of you, my dear imaginary friends.

It was a fun experience and all that and I'd do it again if a friend did something or whatever but...

Please. This is my birthday present.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: AugustWest on August 11, 2009, 06:10:09 pm
David Brinkley and Pauly Shore
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: jaydub on August 11, 2009, 06:15:12 pm
David Brinkley and Pauly Shore
:boggles:
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: AugustWest on August 11, 2009, 06:18:54 pm
Betty White and Susan Sontag
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 11, 2009, 11:15:32 pm
i keep mistaking your mom for a watermelon with a hole in it.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: Toaster on August 12, 2009, 07:06:11 am
I keep mixing up Bronson Pinchot, Charles Bronson, and Thomas Pynchon.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: Doc on August 12, 2009, 07:30:25 am
Nelson Mandela and Mandy Moore.
Also Freddy Mercury and Frida Kahlo. That exhibition was a serious disappointment, I can tell you.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: AugustWest on August 12, 2009, 12:34:15 pm
Charles Bronson, and Thomas Pynchon.

I think these two are really the same person.  Think about it.
Title: Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 12, 2009, 04:23:41 pm
My brother's girlfriend just went to the Frida Kahlo museum in Mexico.

I asked her to pick me up some souvenir eyebrow-couplers but apparently they do not sell them.

Something about "her life was full of pain and horror and that would be too light-hearted".

Still. You'd figure they'd do whatever they could to keep a museum in Mexico going.