The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: jaydub on August 14, 2009, 09:35:23 pm

Title: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: jaydub on August 14, 2009, 09:35:23 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8202137.stm

Wonder if she'll move to Corcoran to be closer to her Charlie.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: AugustWest on August 14, 2009, 09:55:10 pm
Watch out, Jerry Ford!

Oh wait...
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: CortJstr on August 14, 2009, 10:11:50 pm
I had no idea who this person was until this morning's news. Stupid history classes thinking nothing worth mentioning happened after D-Day.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 14, 2009, 11:02:25 pm
I had no idea who this person was until this morning's news. Stupid history classes thinking nothing worth mentioning happened after D-Day.
Yeah what is with that. History class was on some kind of repeat loop between colonization and world war II until college.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2009, 12:50:56 am
An even better story about the youth of America not giving a fuck about people who baby boomers think are famous:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090814/ap_en_mu/us_people_bob_dylan (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090814/ap_en_mu/us_people_bob_dylan)
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 15, 2009, 01:52:11 am
Oh Wombat, thank you for that.

There's hope for these punk kids yet!
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: jaydub on August 15, 2009, 03:14:26 am
The article makes it sound like he was a victim of racial profiling.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 15, 2009, 03:37:33 am
I know of Bob Dylan and like his music, but I wouldn't believe some wandering 68 year old man if he said "im bob dylan"
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: pmcd9 on August 15, 2009, 05:58:06 am
This is the second story I've read recently about Bob Dylan just out doing something in public all by himself.  Apparently when in Liverpool a few months ago he took a tour of Places of significance in John Lennon's life.  Just got on the bus with everyone else on a public tour.

Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2009, 11:59:25 am
I know of Bob Dylan and like his music, but I wouldn't believe some wandering 68 year old man if he said "im bob dylan"

Sure if it was out of nowhere, but still - I wouldn't cross the street to see Bob Dylan, but I think I'd be aware if a no doubt hugely promoted concert was in town and I am pretty sure that in that case I'd recognize him and put two and two together.

Anyway, don't spoil it for it for me. I am loving the idea that 24 year olds don't know or care who he is. The past is the past, people who can't stop talking about the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. Who gives a fuck?
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 15, 2009, 02:30:16 pm
ALSO: if the Manson trials happened today, don't you think that some reality producer would try the extreme makeover thing on the ladies there if they were out on bail until trial or whatever?

"A little foundation, a push-up bra... there... no one would EVER think you killed a lady because a dude who used to hang out with the Beach Boys told you that the ghost of a ***** wanted you to do it!"
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2009, 03:18:46 pm
Honestly, no matter where he was wandering around, I think it would be easy to mistake Bob Dylan for a crazy homeless person. C'mon, look at this one:
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/police-officer-Long-Branch-File/photo//030125/249/480zi.html/ (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/police-officer-Long-Branch-File/photo//030125/249/480zi.html/)
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 15, 2009, 03:25:56 pm
Honestly, no matter where he was wandering around, I think it would be easy to mistake Bob Dylan for a crazy homeless person. C'mon, look at this one:
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/police-officer-Long-Branch-File/photo//030125/249/480zi.html/ (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/police-officer-Long-Branch-File/photo//030125/249/480zi.html/)
"im bob dylan, IM A FAMOUS MAN"
okay, sir, please come with me... we just want to help you...
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: Doc on August 15, 2009, 03:33:37 pm
I've never been huge on Dylan and even after seeing those photos probably wouldn't recognise him on the street.

I'd run through traffic if I thought I spotted Leonard Cohen though so, y'know, different strokes.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2009, 03:58:04 pm
Get off of Ash's lawn!

Come on, this is pretty funny on both sides. You know those cops have got some friends and relatives and co-workers who are never going to let them hear the end of this, for the rest of their lives and careers.

PS: Bob Dylan is recording a CHRISTMAS album. (http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSTRE5792FL20090810)
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: AugustWest on August 15, 2009, 04:01:12 pm
But was it that they didn't recognize Bob Dylan or that they did not even recognize that they should know who Bob Dylan is.  I took the story to mean that they had never even heard of Bob Dylan.

Bob Dylan.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: CortJstr on August 15, 2009, 04:36:48 pm
But was it that they didn't recognize Bob Dylan or that they did not even recognize that they should know who Bob Dylan is.  I took the story to mean that they had never even heard of Bob Dylan.

Bob Dylan.

Agreed.


Bob Dylan cares what Bob Dylan thinks. Let's hear from Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan!
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: pmcd9 on August 15, 2009, 06:06:27 pm
Those cops were Juggalos.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 15, 2009, 06:33:11 pm
squeaky fromme is one hell of a name.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 16, 2009, 03:59:31 am
Sure if it was out of nowhere, but still - I wouldn't cross the street to see Bob Dylan, but I think I'd be aware if a no doubt hugely promoted concert was in town and I am pretty sure that in that case I'd recognize him and put two and two together.

Anyway, don't spoil it for it for me. I am loving the idea that 24 year olds don't know or care who he is. The past is the past, people who can't stop talking about the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. Who gives a fuck?
Honestly, no matter where he was wandering around, I think it would be easy to mistake Bob Dylan for a crazy homeless person. C'mon, look at this one:
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/police-officer-Long-Branch-File/photo//030125/249/480zi.html/ (http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/police-officer-Long-Branch-File/photo//030125/249/480zi.html/)

First of all, let me say that Bob Dylan has been the most influential person in the last 10 years of my life, and, even though for the last two years there are very few times when I won't turn Dylan off immediately when I hear it, he is still one of my favorites.  Also, you listen to Springsteen, which, I mean so do I, but, like, c'mon.  I am not into hippie culture, but art is art and Dylan almost ruined Woodstock (it was supposed to be on his upstate property.)  Also, the greatest, most influential lyricist of all time, but, yeah, you don't need people experimenting and taking things in places they have never been before, I guess.

Also, Dylan and Willie Nelson came to my town a few years ago and played at a minor league baseball park.  Before that, I know Nelson played at a local community college and Dylan played at the zoo, so don't assume. 

That picture?  Pretty sure it was taken when Dylan was undergoing or recovering from a serious heart condition that could have easily killed him.  He looks a lot better now, so, you know, don't assume.

Also? even if he looks like shit it is from taking drugs and sleeping with beautiful people all over the world.  Pretty much everyone with a brain would make the trade, so, you know, don't be a dick.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: theinevitable on August 16, 2009, 07:16:24 am
the guy behind me at the sonic youth concert said something like "who's thurston moore?" when someone said something about thurston moore.
Which isn't as good as bob dylan, but also this guy had just paid 50$ to get into this concert.

i was recently in a funny situation where someone hadn't heard of someone REALLY IMPORTANT, but now I cannot freaking remember it.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: wombat on August 16, 2009, 01:18:06 pm
Guaranteed those poor cops have at least one friend like Keith.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: wombat on August 16, 2009, 01:21:45 pm
Here is someone who manages to be amusing rather than self-important about the life-changing musical events of the sixties.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/15/opinion/15collins.html?_r=1 (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/15/opinion/15collins.html?_r=1)
Best reader comment: "Thanks for making me laugh out loud several times while reading your column. You almost made me forgive your generation for giving us Fleetwood Mac."
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 16, 2009, 04:27:10 pm
See, I just have it beaten into my head by my dad that when his generation needed to have some kind of a leader so that things wouldn't turn out... the way that things did turn out... Bob Dylan turned back into Robbie Zimmerman, found Christ, cut some country albums and basically proved himself not in any way an authentic artist but rather some kind of Madonna for hippies, changing his image to whatever would make him the most money and/or give him the popular image he desired in the current cultural zeitgeist.

And inspired wave after wave of inauthentic copycats, digging the same parched soil, for the same kind of utterly calculated shapeshifter bullshit populism, be it Bruce Springsteen or John Cougar Lincoln Ford Mercury or... anything else of that ilk. Christ, even Dylan made fun of Springsteen for it on a Travelling Wilburies song himself.

Also, the guy is a talented songwriter whose voice sounds like a cat shitting sandpaper into bagpipes.

So these are my problems with Bob Dylan.

If you're looking for me to tell you that I think they're entirely sane reasons, no, I'm not so crazy as to I think I'm not crazy. If you're looking for passionate opinions and a scattershot knowledge base, I'm your man. If you're looking for internal consistency, by all means, buy yourself a D&D Dungeon Master's Guide.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: wombat on August 16, 2009, 04:44:11 pm
This is what I have come to realize about music:

1. Sometimes stuff is good even if it's popular
2. Sometimes you don't like stuff even if it's good, and there's nothing wrong with that
3. It's only rock n'roll. Don't get your knickers in a twist.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2009, 04:46:31 pm
Mozart was a fraud!
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: wombat on August 16, 2009, 05:00:14 pm
Mozart was a fraud!

Oh God, that Mozart. A total sellout. And Bach. Don't even get me started on Bach, churning out all those cantatas for every Sunday mass. What wouldn't he write, with all those kids to support?
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2009, 05:21:38 pm
'zactly.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: theinevitable on August 16, 2009, 10:29:11 pm
I made out with a girl whose favorite beatle was Paul. I don't know if that is better or worse than my friend whose favorite is Ringo.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: Toaster on August 16, 2009, 10:37:37 pm
My girlfriend has terrible taste in music. I AM GLAD SHE WILL NEVER FIND OUT THAT I SAID THAT.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: theinevitable on August 16, 2009, 10:47:35 pm
you think it won't be a problem, and then they want to listen to Phish while you make out.

maybe that was meant to be some sort of subliminal message about "talented noodling that has no fuck*ng point."
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: pmcd9 on August 16, 2009, 11:00:38 pm
My favorite Beatles is Paul.  Sorry.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 16, 2009, 11:04:45 pm
My girlfriend has terrible taste in music. I AM GLAD SHE WILL NEVER FIND OUT THAT I SAID THAT.

im printing this out and mailing it to her, right now.  youre up shit creek, dude.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: Toaster on August 16, 2009, 11:06:12 pm
Noooooooooooooooo.
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 16, 2009, 11:10:03 pm
Noooooooooooooooo.

for the sum of $8.00, i can forget i ever read it...
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: Choop on August 17, 2009, 12:05:08 am
i just saw paul last night - well, i heard him anyway from a house with a backyard that overlooked the park he played

he was better than i expected but he should cut 'a day in the life' from his set list (not beatle-ist)
Title: Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
Post by: theinevitable on August 17, 2009, 01:22:08 am
I mean, I like basically every beatles song, he is obviously a genius, but he is not my favorite.