The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Choop on August 17, 2009, 02:34:13 am

Title: Favorite Beatle
Post by: Choop on August 17, 2009, 02:34:13 am
other options i'd argue for: stu sutcliffe, pete best, george martin

other options i'd argue against: brian epstein, yoko ono

ps. george
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: miles on August 17, 2009, 02:40:38 am
George.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: AugustWest on August 17, 2009, 05:19:16 am
George.

Aside from every other reason I like him best, if it weren't for George we wouldn't have had Life of Brian.  And that would have been a tragedy.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 17, 2009, 05:30:04 am
stag
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: Doc on August 17, 2009, 06:12:34 am
Ringo, don't know why. Maybe because he didn't get to be the genius or the eternally famous one but I think he'll outlive them all.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 17, 2009, 06:16:56 am
I really don't like George, but that is because of his solo things.  Paul is summed up best by achewood (underrated bassist, overrated celebrity; also, all of his non revolver, or post revolver, songs blow.) and Ringo is the coolest.  But John, John is the one who speaks to me.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: pmcd9 on August 17, 2009, 09:04:08 am
Who cares.  They were great together and they were all pretty damn good on their own.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: AugustWest on August 17, 2009, 12:11:33 pm
stag

Not dung?
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: wombat on August 17, 2009, 12:41:13 pm
All I have to say about this is, there is a sushi place I go to, where the owner plays nothing but the Beatles, over and over and over. Now when I hear the Beatles I get a craving for sushi.

Unless it's a song with sitar in it, in which case I'm completely confused and can't decide if I want sushi or Indian.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 17, 2009, 02:10:55 pm
bombardier
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: theinevitable on August 17, 2009, 07:17:50 pm
the beatles were the band who taught me to get music. the first band where I learned to tell the instruments apart and know whole albums of songs by name, etc.
It was a big deal when I realized I could tell who wrote the songs, and that John was my favorite. Although George's guitar playing is awesome, and as stated, Paul is a great bass player and writer and singer.

John is my favorite. If only because I have a weird love for guys who are dicks, because I wish I could be that aggressive in pursuit of things I want.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 17, 2009, 07:37:38 pm
i recognize and appreciate the beatles way more than i actually enjoy their music.  im sure in some circles, thats enough to get me lynched.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: AugustWest on August 17, 2009, 08:05:01 pm
i recognize and appreciate the beatles way more than i actually enjoy their music.  im sure in some circles, thats enough to get me lynched.

Git the rope, Horace.  That boy don't have a sufficient affection for the lads from Liverpool.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 17, 2009, 08:42:34 pm
Oh I get it, Beatles is like the word "beetle" but they're musicians, so its BEATles. Am I getting this right now?
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: dejavroom on August 17, 2009, 09:13:55 pm
To me the Beatles were kind of "there", somehow. During my infancy I was physically/psychologically/culturally removed from whatever was going on in the Real World, kind of a "raised by wolves" deal, but even so a few of their songs ("Michelle", "Help!", those types of early tunes) had apparently managed to trickle down to our rarefied lycanthrope society. For a long while I never associated the (few) tunes I later found out were theirs with "rock songs from a rock band"; To my warped perspective those were songs that had always existed, like "Happy Birthday to You". Only yyyyyears later I got acquainted with more stuff from them. But never really got around to really know what I'm talking about when I talk about the Beatles. They were kind of like Radiohead back then is that right?
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 17, 2009, 10:15:00 pm
what i like most about the fab four is that they made acceptible, music that rocked pretty hard, but at the same, was catchy and fun and palatable to different peer groups.  even now, a lot of young people share a love, or even an enjoyment of the tunes of those dudes with their parents.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: theinevitable on August 17, 2009, 10:26:39 pm
"Helter Skelter" is still abrasive enough that my mom asks me to go to the next song.

and Revolution #9.
and"Happiness is a Warm Gun" is so weird...

Damn, John's songs on that album are so fuck*ng awesome and weird.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: jaydub on August 18, 2009, 02:55:29 am
To me the Beatles were kind of "there", somehow... But never really got around to really know what I'm talking about when I talk about the Beatles. They were kind of like Radiohead back then is that right?
According to Bono, they were the U2 of their time.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: miles on August 18, 2009, 10:55:33 pm
Heh, and to Chris Martin...
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 10, 2009, 10:43:35 am
mono remasters are tits, looking forward to checking out stereo.

since they are rich as fuck i can post the rapidshare links if it is cool or wanted?
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: Mr Trout on September 10, 2009, 11:43:35 am
Did anyone else read the Onion AV review by Klosterman? Amazingly funny stuff: http://www.avclub.com/articles/chuck-klosterman-repeats-the-beatles,32560/

Quote
Like most people, I was initially confused by EMI’s decision to release remastered versions of all 13 albums by the Liverpool pop group Beatles, a 1960s band so obscure that their music is not even available on iTunes.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: miles on September 10, 2009, 11:03:51 pm
mono remasters are tits, looking forward to checking out stereo.

I have a question for any audiophiles here. What is the benefit of mono over stereo? I know that most Beatles albums were originally mono mixes so is it just preserving the original mix or is there another reason to prefer mono over stereo?
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: Choop on September 10, 2009, 11:16:04 pm
i can't stand klosterman. he's ironic and apathetic and complains about people who are ironic and apathetic. which is ironic, and i don't fuck*ng care. he's a hipster and he hates himself, or he should because he hates hipsters, and if the editors of esquire keep turning the magazine into Maxim circa '97 then klosterman won't be the only thing i stop reading.


miles, from what i hear, the stereo mixes weren't overseen by any band members or associated producers, but in-house studio producers that arbitrarily decided which tracks went where for the stereo cut. the mono mixes were the ones that epstein and martin and the four actually worked on themselves and called "good." when i was a kid one of my headphones died, and good lord the half of that stereo mix i heard of past masters was just unlistenable.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: miles on September 10, 2009, 11:22:09 pm
I see. But I imagine these new stereo mixes should be better? Basically I'm trying to decide whether buying both the mono box and the stereo box is even worth considering, or if I should just settle on deciding whether to buy one or the other. I think the mono box doesn't include Abbey Road because that was originally mixed in stereo (I think Let it Be and Yellow Submarine too). Which is kind of obnoxious that they just wouldn't throw the stereo mixes for those albums into the mono box.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: miles on September 10, 2009, 11:47:34 pm
Did anyone else read the Onion AV review by Klosterman? Amazingly funny stuff: http://www.avclub.com/articles/chuck-klosterman-repeats-the-beatles,32560/

Klosterman kinda bugs me too but the article will be worth it for the replies it inspires. Just scanning the top few there is already one complaining about him calling "Rain" a boring song. It reminds me of this satirical column (like, satire is actually in the subtitle of the column) in the local alternative weekly, and this being Utah it naturally pokes fun at mormons and mormon culture. I really don't enjoy the column at all, except that every once in a while there will be a letter to the editor that's all "Orrin Hatch actually isn't a polygamist in fact the LDS church stopped the practice of polygamy over a century ago you should really check your facts before publishing this garbage" which makes it worth it.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: theinevitable on September 11, 2009, 12:00:10 am
I hate Chuck Klosterman. he is not funny.

also he made some statement about Punk Rock, i forget exactly what, that made me very mad.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 11, 2009, 01:57:32 am
I see. But I imagine these new stereo mixes should be better? Basically I'm trying to decide whether buying both the mono box and the stereo box is even worth considering, or if I should just settle on deciding whether to buy one or the other. I think the mono box doesn't include Abbey Road because that was originally mixed in stereo (I think Let it Be and Yellow Submarine too). Which is kind of obnoxious that they just wouldn't throw the stereo mixes for those albums into the mono box.

They aren't new mixes, but new masters of the original sixties mixes. They apparently sound much better because the technology to transfer analogue tape to digital has vastly improved since 1987, but they're still the same mixes with the same odd track placement Choopernickel complains about. (Personally, I love the way those sound through headphones, at least when both channels are working.)
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: miles on September 11, 2009, 02:01:43 am
They aren't new mixes, but new masters of the original sixties mixes.

That's right. I've read some bitching about it not being remixed (and if it was, there'd probably be bitching about that). Anyway, I'll probably end up buying neither. That's a lot of money.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 13, 2009, 04:29:47 am
So I'm listening to the remasters this evening (disc two of the mono Past Masters, mono Sgt. Pepper's, stereo Abbey Road, stereo Revolver, and now I think I'll give the stereo Sgt. Pepper a spin), and all I can say is

I THINK MY MY HEART'S EXPLODIN'! THESE REMASTERS!
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: linnea on September 13, 2009, 05:29:51 am
Ringo was my favorite when I was a kid, probably because he was the littlest and also because he had the rockingest mustache. So I had to vote for Ringo.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: miles on September 13, 2009, 07:34:35 am
So I'm listening to the remasters this evening (disc two of the mono Past Masters, mono Sgt. Pepper's, stereo Abbey Road, stereo Revolver, and now I think I'll give the stereo Sgt. Pepper a spin), and all I can say is

I THINK MY MY HEART'S EXPLODIN'! THESE REMASTERS!

FUCK! FUCKITY FUCK FUCK FUCK! I may need to waste some money now. I go through phases with the Beatles... well not really. I'm just hesitant to anoint them as the best band ever and get a bit annoyed when others do, but they were consistently fuck*ng incredible, and all this talk of these new masters is making me want to plunk down some money that I should be putting in my rainy day savings account.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: pmcd9 on September 13, 2009, 07:37:10 am

I THINK MY MY HEART'S EXPLODIN'! THESE REMASTERS!

I acquired the entire Beatles catalog a couple of years ago from a tape traders group.  They only traded boots, no official releases and they justified this Beatles trade by saying it was the mixes that were done for reel to reel in the 60's and were never used again anywhere else.  That claim sounded dubious, but I didn't argue.  And I didn't feel bad either, shit, I've paid for these albums about a half a dozen times by this point.

Anyway, they are simply amazing mixes.  I didn't think it was possible to hear new in these songs I've listened to hundreds if not thousands of times.  But my god, holy shit, fuck*ng hell and daaaaaam.

I wonder if these are the 'new' mixes they have just released?

I'm just hesitant to anoint them as the best band ever and get a bit annoyed when others do

They are the best band ever.

Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: miles on September 13, 2009, 07:43:00 am
They are the best band ever.

Here's me, just a bit annoyed:

(http://farm1.static.flickr.com/172/427807020_0ce14b8469.jpg)
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: theinevitable on September 13, 2009, 07:57:39 am
yeah, probs the best band.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 13, 2009, 05:55:16 pm
Certainly the best band of rock bands that everyone has heard of and knows well.

Not even a question.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 14, 2009, 06:14:55 am
FUCK! FUCKITY FUCK FUCK FUCK! I may need to waste some money now. I go through phases with the Beatles... well not really. I'm just hesitant to anoint them as the best band ever and get a bit annoyed when others do, but they were consistently fuck*ng incredible, and all this talk of these new masters is making me want to plunk down some money that I should be putting in my rainy day savings account.

Friend, friend:


Mono v0

www.rapidshare.com/files/276274351/A_Hard_Day_s_Night-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276277062/Beatles_For_Sale-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276283811/Help-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276286207/Magical_Mystery_Tour-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276289592/Mono_Masters_Vol_1-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276297006/Mono_Masters_Vol_2-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276299721/Please_Please_Me-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276301985/Revolver-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276308874/Rubber_Soul-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276311892/Sgt._Peppers_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276315347/The_Beatles_Disc_1-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276318862/The_Beatles_Disc_2-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276321895/With_The_Beatles-2009_Mono_Remaster.zip

Stereo v0

www.rapidshare.com/files/275978752/A_Hard_Day_s_Night-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/275992589/Abbey_Road-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/275996386/Beatles_For_Sale-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276000090/Help-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276003612/Let_It_Be-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276007456/Magical_Mystery_Tour-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276016626/Past_Masters_Disc_1-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276022290/Past_Masters_Disc_2-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276025889/Please_Please_Me-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276029860/Revolver-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276037525/Rubber_Soul-2009_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276041955/Sgt._Peppers_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276047166/The_Beatles_Disc_1-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276052461/The_Beatles_Disc_2-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276056657/With_the_Beatles-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
www.rapidshare.com/files/276061367/Yellow_Submarine-2009_Stereo_Remaster.zip
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: theinevitable on September 14, 2009, 07:03:31 am
Quote
Certainly the best band of rock bands that everyone has heard of and knows well.

Not even a question.

Best band if we don't care about whether everyone has heard of them:

(can't decide of the best joke here. Pussy Galore? James Chance and the Contortions? It obviously needs to be someone that most people would not consider music.)
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: pmcd9 on September 14, 2009, 02:12:21 pm
The Beatles are the best band ever whether you've heard of 'em or not.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: miles on September 14, 2009, 10:49:46 pm
Friend, friend

You're a good man.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: milhouse on September 18, 2009, 11:47:08 am
Friend, friend:

OHHHHH SHIIIIIIIT!

I listened to Abbey Road last night. Man, the bass parts are THERE. I think I have whiplash from snapping my head at the speaker every time I heard something new. I do miss the distorted clip on John's vocal on "She's So Heavy" though. Some of the flaws and muddy mix are part of my memories... It's almost like I'm starting over with this album. Great stuff.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 19, 2009, 01:07:59 am
Some of the flaws and muddy mix are part of my memories... It's almost like I'm starting over with this album. Great stuff.

I know what you mean, but oh god the bass.  It just proves onstads point.
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: pmcd9 on September 19, 2009, 04:14:13 am
I know what you mean, but oh god the bass.  It just proves onstads point.

What was Onstad's point?
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 19, 2009, 04:23:36 am
overrated celebrity underrated bassist
Title: Re: Favorite Beatle
Post by: side_show on September 19, 2009, 02:25:40 pm
A poll I made (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,5116.0.html), partially inspired by this thread.