The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

The Wide World of Webcomics => Not Daisy Owl => Topic started by: greenkoolayd on November 08, 2009, 05:00:12 am

Title: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 08, 2009, 05:00:12 am
weapon brown (http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/2008/04/07/weapon-brown-1/)

eerie cuties (http://www.eeriecuties.com/d/20090601.html)

lackadaisy cats (http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/comic.php?comicid=1)

menage a 3 (http://www.menagea3.net/d/20080517.html)

pictures for sad children (http://www.picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php?comicID=1)
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 08, 2009, 05:00:56 am
other than achewood, that is....
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 08, 2009, 05:11:06 am
weapon brown (http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/2008/04/07/weapon-brown-1/)

eerie cuties (http://www.eeriecuties.com/d/20090601.html)

lackadaisy cats (http://lackadaisy.foxprints.com/comic.php?comicid=1)

menage a 3 (http://www.menagea3.net/d/20080517.html)

pictures for sad children (http://www.picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php?comicID=1)

Yay, that's what I've been looking for.  Thanks, you.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 08, 2009, 05:21:41 am
I will never get tired of Drew and Natalie's empire:
Toothpaste for Dinner (http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/archives/2009/Nov/)
Natalie Dee (http://www.nataliedee.com/archives/2009/Nov/)
And my favorite slice of the not-Achewood online comic realm, the consistently skewed and frickin' hilarious Married to the Sea (http://www.marriedtothesea.com/archives/2009/Nov/).
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 08, 2009, 05:49:39 am
If you are not reading Hark, A Vagrant! (http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php) by Kate Beaton you need to. I am really enamoured of her visual style, it's deceptively casual. Here are a few of my favourites:

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=209

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=202

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=140

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=61

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=35

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=34

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=4

Note: many of Kate Beaton's comics make much more sense if you are Canadian:

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=6


Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2009, 01:17:43 pm
These links are all broken for me, in the sense that it seems that Kate Beaton forgot to pay some part of her internet bill.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 08, 2009, 03:12:57 pm
If you are or have been a D&D/RPG nerd, you will enjoy Order of the Stick (http://www.giantitp.com/Comics.html) and ErfWorld (http://www.erfworld.com/) (the latter you really, really need to read from the beginning to get what's going on).

If not, don't bother.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: CortJstr on November 08, 2009, 04:56:03 pm
These links are all broken for me, in the sense that it seems that Kate Beaton forgot to pay some part of her internet bill.

She's having a fight with her ISP. I believe Ryan North is mirroring her comics at Qwantz in the mean time.

If you are or have been a D&D/RPG nerd, you will enjoy Order of the Stick (http://www.giantitp.com/Comics.html) and ErfWorld (http://www.erfworld.com/) (the latter you really, really need to read from the beginning to get what's going on).

If not, don't bother.

I read the first "book" or whatever of Erfworld that was on GitP but didn't really get it. I do enjoy me some Order of the Stick, though.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 08, 2009, 07:58:50 pm
As someone gleefully inexperienced with non-NES roleplaying games, I find "Darths and Droids" to be an interesting deconstruction.

And also an interesting RE-construction of Star Wars at the same time.

http://www.darthsanddroids.net/ (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/)
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: oball on November 08, 2009, 08:16:55 pm
If you are not currently reading Nedroid (http://nedroidcomics.livejournal.com/), then maybe you should be.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: CortJstr on November 08, 2009, 09:00:57 pm
If you are not currently reading Nedroid (http://nedroidcomics.livejournal.com/), then maybe you should be.

IIRC the author of Nedroid also does the color for Dr. McNinja.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: oball on November 08, 2009, 09:18:22 pm
Yep.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 08, 2009, 09:36:56 pm
All of those comics are summed up nicely here (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01172005).
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Choop on November 08, 2009, 09:43:26 pm
from oball's link: http://nedroidcomics.livejournal.com/257362.html

awesome.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 08, 2009, 10:09:46 pm
I'm full-on loving Menage a 3 and Order of the Stick, so thanks guys! Here's one for y'all in return, it was discussed in length at Assetbar, but it just might be unknown in these parts.  NSFW...very, very NSFW.  The art and story are jaw-dropping...as is the subject matter.  Please to enjoy.  Chester 5000 XYV (http://jessfink.com/Chester5000XYV/?p=34)
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 09, 2009, 12:27:23 am
All of those comics are summed up nicely here (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01172005).

Little surprised it took over 4 hours for someone to post this.

Anyway, put me down as heartily recommending MS Paint Adventures (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/) (don't worry, it is a million times better than the title would have you believe) and Bobwhite (http://www.bobwhitecomics.com) as the best things in their webcomic genres.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Choop on November 09, 2009, 12:45:06 am
I'm full-on loving Menage a 3 and Order of the Stick, so thanks guys! Here's one for y'all in return, it was discussed in length at Assetbar, but it just might be unknown in these parts.  NSFW...very, very NSFW.  The art and story are jaw-dropping...as is the subject matter.  Please to enjoy.  Chester 5000 XYV (http://jessfink.com/Chester5000XYV/?p=34)

this reminds me of 4chan and not in the good way
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 09, 2009, 01:51:02 am
The artist... sure likes drawing little water-droplets around insertions, huh?

Uhm.

Uh-huh.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: smick on November 09, 2009, 05:05:41 am
It is worth going through the entire Wonderella archive.

I feel one you've done that, you might hope to know what happens in my brain.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 09, 2009, 06:59:12 am
Wait, you guys are all reading Ryan Armand's Great (http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/great.html), right?

I just assumed.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Doc on November 09, 2009, 07:30:18 am
Wait, you guys are all reading Ryan Armand's Great (http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/great.html), right?

Nice, it kind of reminds me of Nana's Everyday Life (http://manga.clone-army.org/nana.php).
Note: No one should ever read this comic. Especially you, Wombat.
Edit: Just read a few pages again and realised I wasn't explict enough, that comic is not safe for work, children, animals or functional members of society.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 09, 2009, 07:48:19 am
Can't art be about how horrible life already is, merely teasing that truth out through analogy and exaggeration?

Do we really need newly invented horrible that exists only to be worse than yesterday?

Is this... really required, Nana's Everyday Life?

Have you really thought this through?
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: theinevitable on November 09, 2009, 07:53:06 am
Quote
All of those comics are summed up nicely here.

This.

Actually, so many different things that I do not like, and cannot explain well why I do not like them, are summed up there.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Doc on November 09, 2009, 08:07:21 am
(http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/great/great151.jpg)

This is a new favourite image of mine. Thanks, Chump Change!
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 09, 2009, 07:09:45 pm
Wow, 5 cans already? You guys are spoiling me.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 09, 2009, 07:11:02 pm
Wow, 5 cans already? You guys are spoiling me.
"We can take them away, too," she said ominously.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 09, 2009, 08:30:05 pm
"We can take them away, too," she said ominously.

you just got stole, chumpy.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 09, 2009, 09:08:24 pm
you just stole, chumpy.
Hmm what?  That did NOT make sense to me.  (damn kids and your damn slang phrases)
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 09, 2009, 09:45:43 pm
Hmm what?  That did NOT make sense to me.  (damn kids and your damn slang phrases)

fixed

im pretty sure it means to be caught unaware, most likely by a strike to the face.

"i came/i saw/i stole you right in the jaw"
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 09, 2009, 09:48:15 pm
fixed

im pretty sure it means to be caught unaware, most likely by a strike to the face.

"i came/i saw/i stole you right in the jaw"

LOL, gotcha!  The fix wouldn't have helped me without the translation, so thanks for both.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 09, 2009, 11:35:52 pm
Nana's Everyday Life (http://manga.clone-army.org/nana.php).

Augh, someone made me watch the anime this is based on. Then he sat us all down to talk about our character flaws. It was "an evening".

Why did I click that.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 12:05:03 am
Nice, it kind of reminds me of Nana's Everyday Life (http://manga.clone-army.org/nana.php).
Note: No one should ever read this comic. Especially you, Wombat.
Edit: Just read a few pages again and realised I wasn't explict enough, that comic is not safe for work, children, animals or functional members of society.

Glarp.  I should not have clicked that link.  My stomach is roiling.  I READ TO THE END.  I think I'm going to retch.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 12:07:35 am
i think you deserve it after that victorian fuckbot link you gave
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2009, 12:11:23 am
Nice, it kind of reminds me of Nana's Everyday Life (http://manga.clone-army.org/nana.php).
Note: No one should ever read this comic. Especially you, Wombat.
Edit: Just read a few pages again and realised I wasn't explict enough, that comic is not safe for work, children, animals or functional members of society.

I feel like this is kind of a dare, but I'm not feeling sassy enough tonight to take you up on it.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 12:12:43 am
wombles think of it less as a dare and more as Doc's orders. i don't know whose mind can take in that cartoon without rejecting it, but i don't want to know them.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 12:15:27 am
i think you deserve it after that victorian fuckbot link you gave
*SNORT*  Come on, that was romantic.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 10, 2009, 12:25:57 am
Choop is can'd for sass.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 02:07:52 am
Choop is dooubly canned.

Yeah I totally forgot to comment on that Victorian Fuckbot cartoon.  It made no damn sense.

Let me see if I understood the plot.  Dude takes a wife, but is so consumed by his work he runs out on her after a honeymoon quickie.  To keep her satisfied he builds her above mentioned fuckbot.  Dude spends most of his time consumed with his work while wife and fuckbot do a lot of fuck*ng.  Dude spys on them fuck*ng one night and jacks off.  Then for some reason becomes jealous of fuckbot and tries to destroy it.  Then there was another woman I think, but I stopped at about that point.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: miles on November 10, 2009, 02:15:10 am
Let me see if I understood the plot.  Dude takes a wife, but is so consumed by his work he runs out on her after a honeymoon quickie.  To keep her satisfied he builds her above mentioned fuckbot.  Dude spends most of his time consumed with his work while wife and fuckbot do a lot of fuck*ng.  Dude spys on them fuck*ng one night and jacks off.  Then for some reason becomes jealous of fuckbot and tries to destroy it.  Then there was another woman I think, but I stopped at about that point.

Cuckolded by his own creation. You don't see the beauty?

So I didn't even get that he left because he was so consumed by his work. It looked to me as if he were embarrassed by ejaculating prematurely.

I stopped after the fuckbot spooged oil all over the lady. I needed to collect my thoughts.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 02:17:48 am
I stopped after the fuckbot spooged oil all over the lady. I needed to collect my thoughts.

Yeah, that was pretty nasty. 
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 10, 2009, 02:23:02 am
Man, it really makes you wonder if space babies fuckbots is such a good idea.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 10, 2009, 02:33:53 am
The real problem is the masturbots I mean my God that is just such a waste of electricity
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: wombat on November 10, 2009, 03:07:38 am
Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I am REALLY HAPPY with that.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 10, 2009, 03:13:23 am
"victorian fuckbot" would be a great posting level, by the by.

one of the little titles that correspond to the number of posts, usually?

but in this case, a Great and Powerful Oz could go in an manually make someone a "victorian fuckbot" if they are being a dick.

I mean, it's a great goddamned insult.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 10, 2009, 03:21:42 am
In all seriousness, Bluemoon, even though I couldn't get through more than a few pages of that comic it is obviously really well drawn and even if no one ever stops making fun of you it is probably an okay thing for a person to like.

But just because no one pounced on greenkoolayd for linking Menage a 3 doesn't mean you deserve to be surprised by the general reactions.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2009, 03:24:28 am
I always follow along comics like that for a little bit, and then think "I could be watching free movies of actual people having sex" and then I stop reading them.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 10, 2009, 03:30:05 am
I always follow along comics like that for a little bit, and then think "I could be watching free movies of actual people having sex" and then I stop reading them.

All pausing the video every ten seconds and then waiting a few days for the authentic "webcomic" experience.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 03:37:43 am
All pausing the video every ten seconds and then waiting a few days for the authentic "webcomic" experience.

I've never tried that.  Ha ha.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2009, 03:38:22 am
I'm so old I used to get my porn from magazines.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: smick on November 10, 2009, 04:11:03 am
I have to say, on some level I wish I was a Victorian Fuckbot.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 10, 2009, 04:20:48 am
I imagine this as being similar to wishing you were an Oscar Meyer weiner, smick.

(ALSO: "movies of actual people having sex" would also be a great posting title.)
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 10, 2009, 04:21:38 am
Posting titles are like band names that way.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: theinevitable on November 10, 2009, 04:29:58 am
oh man, Band Names.

Lately I keep finding things where... the concept that the words mean would be such a good band name, but the phrase itself is not a good band name.


My current favorite is "Toes as Pigs," which is how the "this little piggy..." rhyme was listed in this psychology paper I read. (it had to do with games children knew by a certain age)
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 04:52:14 am
on halloween my neighbor dressed as a zombie rollergirl and i knew the instant i saw her that 'roller zombie army' would be an awesome movie title
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: oball on November 10, 2009, 04:58:03 am
From when the Victorian fuckbot comic got linked on Cracked:

Quote from: Remington
Are you sure you posted that in the right thread?

Are you sure you didn't mean to post it in the "Rationalize your love of cartoon porn by slapping a monocle on the fuck robot" thread?
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 05:00:48 am
do you see bluemoon

do you see how many people you have scarred with your victorian fuckbot comixxx

i shall can you and pretend to forget the whole incident
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 10, 2009, 05:09:22 am
Zap! Pow! Comics aren't just for kids anymore!
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 05:20:50 am
In all seriousness, Bluemoon, even though I couldn't get through more than a few pages of that comic it is obviously really well drawn and even if no one ever stops making fun of you it is probably an okay thing for a person to like.

Yeah, it gets oddly and satisfyingly better the more the story progresses. 

But just because no one pounced on greenkoolayd for linking Menage a 3 doesn't mean you deserve to be surprised by the general reactions.

Huh...I must be EXTRA-weird because I checked that one out after he posted the link, and I'm really enjoying it.  Got all up to current in about an hour of surprised and occasionally shocked laughter.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: R2DTrousers on November 10, 2009, 08:40:47 am
Bluemoon72 has hell of moral turpitude when it comes to webcomics.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 10, 2009, 08:54:33 am
I will say, I liked the strip one of y'all linked about the modestly-good-looking girls who go to art school together.

Kinda despite myself! Most web-comics about college are pretty much the same wish-fulfillment screed on the topic of how someone wished they were in college and/or clearly just an awkward fictionalization of the author's life and... no, no, while it played with some of the genre cliches a little too much, it was pretty good.

I suppose most genres, no matter how tired, end up with a few good examples, if only by sheer math.

Except for "Comic About Jerks Way Too Much Into Computer Games and How Snarky They Think They Are." Uniformly terrible.

(Also, I now seem to ONLY be able to post in this thread?)
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 10, 2009, 09:17:09 am
Bluemoon72 has hell of moral turpitude when it comes to webcomics.

"Turpitude"! Yes.

If you look up "pandering" in the dictionary, there will be no pictures or mentions of Menage a 3 because dictionaries have standards.

I will say, I liked the strip one of y'all linked about the modestly-good-looking girls who go to art school together.

Kinda despite myself! Most web-comics about college are pretty much the same wish-fulfillment screed on the topic of how someone wished they were in college and/or clearly just an awkward fictionalization of the author's life and... no, no, while it played with some of the genre cliches a little too much, it was pretty good.

LFM gets a can for bringing this thread back to positive things! I'm almost positive Bobwhite is the only good college strip, although I'm open to being proven wrong.

edit: No one prove me wrong this week, I have a midterm.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Doc on November 10, 2009, 10:36:54 am
Zap! Pow! Comics aren't just for kids anymore!

I like you Chump Change. Your jib is well cut.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 10, 2009, 01:38:37 pm
Bluemoon72 has hell of moral turpitude when it comes to webcomics.

..aaaaand everything else.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: dejavroom on November 10, 2009, 05:03:22 pm
Bluemoon72 has hell of moral turpitude when it comes to webcomics.

Well you all seem to like PBF, and I'm still here everyday for the 5 o'clock tea, so yay turpitude... *runs*
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 10, 2009, 05:51:05 pm
bla bla bla
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: smick on November 10, 2009, 06:51:08 pm
Parking Lot Is Full seems to go well with PBF.  http://plif.courageunfettered.com/

Dead as it may be...

On edit: They managed to spoil the (non)ending to There Will Be Blood 5 years before it came out!
(http://plif.courageunfettered.com/archive/wc003.gif)
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 10, 2009, 07:21:26 pm
Except for "Comic About Jerks Way Too Much Into Computer Games and How Snarky They Think They Are." Uniformly terrible.

How did I almost miss a cue to link to Powerup Comics (http://www.drunkduck.com/Powerup_Comics/index.php?p=363040)?
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 07:27:41 pm
chump change i like you a lot guy

which is why it pains me to do this

*tweeeeeeet* one onion offense card! worst writing and artistry yet linked. everybody has crossed arms, or something in their hands or both. also gravity doesn't work the way that guy thinks it does.


(is it supposed to be this bad because if so it still doesn't work)
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: smick on November 10, 2009, 07:34:53 pm
After reading that, I have to agree: Hands are hell of hard to draw.

Also, it seems like it might be trying for a Pokey the Penguin thing. 
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: AugustWest on November 10, 2009, 08:04:06 pm
chump change i like you a lot guy

which is why it pains me to do this

*tweeeeeeet* one onion offense card! worst writing and artistry yet linked. everybody has crossed arms, or something in their hands or both. also gravity doesn't work the way that guy thinks it does.


(is it supposed to be this bad because if so it still doesn't work)

Man, that was hell of awful.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 10, 2009, 10:05:10 pm
You forgot to mention the gradient backgrounds, the recolored couch, "Every time I've shot your brother in the past", and the word "b$^@#&ing" in the author comments. Also, the author surrogate named himself "Shadow".

The whole thing was basically an impressively long-lived forum prank organized by the Unwinder's Tall Comics (http://www.tallcomics.com/index.php?strip_id=50) guy. There were terrible games, a terrible fantasy adventure spinoff, terrible fake commenters and everything.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Choop on November 10, 2009, 10:46:15 pm
see now that's the kind of context that would have protected your tiny cans of dr pepper
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: dejavroom on November 11, 2009, 12:41:07 pm
It has been mentioned already, but Pictures for Sad Children makes up my top 3 list (the others are achewood and lackadaisy). I'm always amazed at how much expression the dude can inject into a character's face with only a couple slits, the odd dot (http://www.picturesforsadchildren.com/index.php?comicID=110).
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 12, 2009, 11:27:13 pm
see now that's the kind of context that would have protected your tiny cans of dr pepper

My bad; I squandered that can. I normally pass that link around in some pretty irony-drenched circles!

Anyway, what do you guys think of Cat and Girl (http://catandgirl.com/?p=2244)? I've really been enjoying the latest storyline.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: wombat on November 12, 2009, 11:35:26 pm
Cat and Girl has storylines? I knew I didn't always get it, but I had no idea I was missing that much.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 13, 2009, 12:04:19 am
Cat and Girl has storylines? I knew I didn't always get it, but I had no idea I was missing that much.

They're pretty rare and short and don't have too much continuity to them, so you aren't missing as much as you think!
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: smick on November 13, 2009, 12:27:47 am
I am a Future Corpse of America.

This is my favorite of all time (being a Portlander) http://catandgirl.com/?p=2061
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: dejavroom on November 13, 2009, 12:52:35 am
Speaking of which... this is an unusually drawn Girl, don't you think? What happened to her breasts?
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 13, 2009, 03:11:26 am
Jellybeans (http://catandgirl.com/?p=1425).
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: dejavroom on November 13, 2009, 10:44:44 am
Oh ^^. So she's a small girl, I get it now.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: jay-ell on November 15, 2009, 05:07:26 pm
I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but what about XKCD (http://xkcd.com/)? IIRC, this has come up in the past, and a lot of people here enjoy it.

The larger question is, which of these strips should have their own fora here? I don't want to turn this place into Dumbrella, but I think having more than one comic in our "other comics" section would be nice.

I nominate XKCD and PBF. I don't read PBF, but it seems to be popular enough.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: wombat on November 15, 2009, 05:22:33 pm
PBF doesn't update anymore.

(Post that says "how is that different from Achewood" in 3... 2... 1... )
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 15, 2009, 10:58:06 pm
I would be for a PBF fora if the strip weren't dead.

I think Daisy Owl is the only one that has really collectively captured the hearts of the board at large I think.

I would lobby for an 'Other Comics' fora though for everything else.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: oball on November 15, 2009, 11:06:48 pm
XKCD is very hit and miss, like Michael J. Fox playing darts.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Chump Change on November 16, 2009, 01:46:32 am
I would be fore a Powerup Comics fora if the strip weren't dead.

Seriously though, Cat and Girl seems like it could lead to some neat discussions with you guys, so if someone with more History than me nominated that I would be in favor.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 16, 2009, 02:38:41 am
I vote for XKCD for sure, and perhaps Pictures for Sad Children, Wondermark, and **ducks** Chester 5000 XYV.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: oball on November 16, 2009, 03:06:58 am
Kate Beaton gets my vote.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: smick on November 16, 2009, 03:14:00 am
I like XCKD only when viewed through it's companion http://xkcdexplained.com/.

"Note: the author feels that women are superior to men."

In response to the naughty masturbots from earlier, I give you the NSFW/H/S http://www.oglaf.com - Rough Medieval Sexual Chuckles. 
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 16, 2009, 09:19:52 am
I am a HUGE fan of overexplaining jokes. Holy crap. Well-linked, smickelodeon.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: TedStriker on November 16, 2009, 03:15:07 pm
XKCD is very hit and miss, like Michael J. Fox playing darts.

Cann'd for rough, trembling chuckles.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 16, 2009, 03:50:36 pm
...and **ducks** Chester 5000 XYV.

Brilliant realization:  "Victorian Fuck Bots" would be an excellent name for a fantasy sports team.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 16, 2009, 07:17:17 pm
Cann'd for rough, trembling chuckles.

[X] Agreement box.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 16, 2009, 07:18:50 pm
Brilliant realization:  "Victorian Fuck Bots" would be an excellent name for a fantasy sports team.

Oooh, or a kick-ass trivia team!  Hey, is anyone else geeky enough to love the National Pop Culture Trivia Challenge, hosted by some guy who I know isn't Jimmy Carr, but has his sense of humor, and whom I am too lazy to Google?
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: jaydub on November 17, 2009, 06:46:15 pm
I like XCKD only when viewed through it's companion http://xkcdexplained.com/.
Holy cow.  Hell of a lot of work there.  Since its a team effort, it might actually have legs.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: TedStriker on November 17, 2009, 06:57:19 pm
Xkcd Explained can't hold a candle to The Original (http://marmadukeexplained.blogspot.com/).

Note: Joe Mathlete and I once had a geek out together about Achewood.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: pmcd9 on November 17, 2009, 07:14:01 pm
Note: Joe Mathlete and I once had a geek out together about Achewood.

I know Joe (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/331571428/).

Thought I had some pictures posted of the Mathletes playing, but I guess not.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: rowboat on November 17, 2009, 08:49:06 pm
Xkcd Explained can't hold a candle to The Original (http://marmadukeexplained.blogspot.com/).
Holy shit. I don't know him or anything about him, but this Joe Mathlete guy was directly responsible (http://joemathlete.blogspot.com/2007/09/fk-you-PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE.html) for my discovery of Achewood. I totally forgot about that. Please thank him for me next time you see him. I know it was just a link from a blog (which, incidentally, I read for all of about thirty minutes and never returned to), but it literally changed my life.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: rowboat on November 17, 2009, 08:49:54 pm
Huh. It's not letting me link to the page. Well, it was this one: http://joemathlete.blogspot.com/2007/09/fk-you-PLEASE, DO NOT MENTION THAT HERE.html
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: smick on November 17, 2009, 08:51:03 pm
SpinnWebe covered the Marmaduke Explained concept back when he was asked to stop the Dysfunctional Family Circus.

I'm not saying he stole it, but... he doesn't make that kinda money, y'know?
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: rowboat on November 17, 2009, 08:52:52 pm
What the hell? Does he make it so that his blog can't be linked to? Bizarre.

Anyway, thank him for me and tell him to fix that. It's dumb.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: wombat on November 17, 2009, 08:54:52 pm
That's not his fault, that's one of our stupid filters. The admins ought to do something about that.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: rowboat on November 17, 2009, 08:56:33 pm
That's not his fault, that's one of our stupid filters. The admins ought to do something about that.
Oh, OK. Wait...aren't you an admin?
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Pedro Picasso on November 17, 2009, 09:06:36 pm
XKCD Explained is a cross between a helpful reference and that girl in middle school who always said, "That's stupid; why do you like that?"
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Doc on November 18, 2009, 07:17:38 am
XKCD Explained is a cross between a helpful reference and that girl in middle school who always said, "That's stupid; why do you like that?"
Thankyou, that was my thought.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: theinevitable on November 23, 2009, 04:29:40 pm
I have not revisited it in a while, but back in the day I found Sexy Losers hilarious.

Lots of cartoon fuck*ng. It is very possible that I only liked it because I still thought "LOL, sex." And like, oh, dark humor is so funny. Haha, fuck*ng a corpse, haha.

edit: yes, I think I am right, what you are really choosing to look at is "things daniel could convince himself were funny in order to justify looking at cartoon tits when he was 16."

I removed the link, because... if you want to see this, you should probably have to kind of try to see it.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: jaydub on November 23, 2009, 11:15:55 pm
I was sad because the SL dude took a sabbatical for a while.  Mike's Left Hand cracks me up.  The Bukkake Porn Star strips, not so much.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Doc on November 24, 2009, 11:45:43 am
I too remember SL being pretty damn hilarious. I choose not to revisit it in case I am wrong. I'm fairly sure there were at a least a few good gags in there, if only because the sex was usually background to the gag rather than the gag itself.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: jaydub on December 16, 2009, 07:34:47 pm
Penny Arcade is doing the Dickerdoodle contest again.  Link (NSFW) (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/6778417_VVkNj#434317893_FQtiD) to pics from 2008 contest.  Today is the deadline, sadly.  The point of the contest is summed up nicely in Gabriel's annoucement, "Also please recognize that I'll be posting some of these photos online. If you don't want a picture of yourself with a dick cookie buried up to its hilt in your mouth on the internet, then please don't send it. I'll be accepting entries for one week. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/12/9/)"

Relatively safe submission from last year:
(http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/434317893_FQtiD-S.jpg)
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Mr Trout on December 16, 2009, 07:53:04 pm
It might be the picture and/or expression, but there is something about the girl on the right that I find simultaneously attractive and alien-like.

Kind of like a friend of mine who had a really big thing for Steve Buscemi.
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: jaydub on December 16, 2009, 08:04:06 pm
She reminds me a little of Jordan from Real Genius(http://abadeo.com/pageboy/Michelle_Meyrink_.jpg)
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Toaster on December 19, 2009, 03:25:46 am
Is it Wrong that I found three of the pictures in that gallery Legitimately Arousing?
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 21, 2014, 07:20:25 pm
I doubt anyone needs to be introduced to Toothpaste for Dinner. But this one actually made me laugh out loud at my desk.
http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/index.php?date=082114
Title: Re: webcomics i have loved(and continue to love)
Post by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2015, 11:54:23 pm
I actually did that dickerdoodle thing back in the day. I even bought some squeeze tube icing and everything to simulate jizz. I had two ladies with me and had such fun jizzing their faces. Unfortunately all the pictures were lost in a hard drive crash. :(