The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: oball on November 15, 2009, 11:41:16 am

Title: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: oball on November 15, 2009, 11:41:16 am
In life, we are all guaranteed at least a little tremendous physical pain. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11152009)

The thread was going to be called "A charley horse of the heart", but you can't fool the word filters in thread titles.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Doc on November 15, 2009, 12:15:25 pm
I like.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: wombat on November 15, 2009, 01:13:07 pm
Right, I'm going back to bed.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Ryabovsky on November 15, 2009, 09:07:14 pm
In life, we are all guaranteed at least a little tremendous physical pain.

Take it like an otter, and give some back.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 16, 2009, 01:55:04 am
[[shrug]] meh....

ive had better.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 16, 2009, 02:34:54 am
I  wonder why the strip has no actual title?
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: jaydub on November 16, 2009, 02:59:38 am
RSS says it's, "How it's going!".
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: lprkn on November 16, 2009, 03:03:41 am
I think I really like this one! But, I am kind of a negative person.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: smick on November 16, 2009, 03:11:08 am
Paul... I gotta change my nomination.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: pmcd9 on November 16, 2009, 04:36:14 am
Paul... I gotta change my nomination.

This strip is ineligible.  Nominate it next year.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: TedStriker on November 16, 2009, 05:26:26 pm
Each time I re-read this one, it breaks my heart in a new way.  Maybe it's just that I'm a sentimental fool who's enough of a newlywed to dread the moment when I have the same revelation as the final panel...or I'm enough of a cynic to know that it's going to come and I just want to get it over with already.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Death Ray on November 16, 2009, 07:23:39 pm
I like! Nice and melancholy.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Chump Change on November 16, 2009, 08:10:33 pm
I liked this strip a lot better when I started imagining the narrator as Lee Sungjae.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 16, 2009, 08:11:04 pm
Each time I re-read this one, it breaks my heart in a new way.  Maybe it's just that I'm a sentimental fool who's enough of a newlywed to dread the moment when I have the same revelation as the final panel...or I'm enough of a cynic to know that it's going to come and I just want to get it over with already.

Ain't that the goddamned truth.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: theinevitable on November 16, 2009, 08:25:06 pm
This comic reminded me that I am Roast Beef.

I liked this comic.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 16, 2009, 08:36:20 pm
This comic reminded me that I am Roast Beef.

I liked this comic.

And it reminded me that I am Molly!
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on November 16, 2009, 10:28:02 pm
I, too, enjoyed this melancholic glimpse into the ordinary of Achewood. I liked it even more once I realized that the first three panels were not Onstad's primitive yet graphic rendition of Beef inserting his catwang into Molly's parts.  Until this realization I was living in a Cronenberg/furry nightmare world.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Chump Change on November 16, 2009, 10:38:28 pm
I, too, enjoyed this melancholic glimpse into the ordinary of Achewood. I liked it even more once I realized that the first three panels were not Onstad's primitive yet graphic rendition of Beef inserting his catwang into Molly's parts.  Until this realization I was living in a Cronenberg/furry nightmare world.

I thought I was the only one, so I didn't want to say anything!
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: CortJstr on November 17, 2009, 12:08:43 am
I think that's kind of what he was going for.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 17, 2009, 03:14:32 am
Oddly, this one reminded me of the fact that...

In most ways, I am Roast Beef, however in a few ways, I am assuredly Teodor.

I mean, yes, we should all get to be in a band. Life should not work in the manner where we do not get to live our dreams.

Boo to that.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 17, 2009, 05:12:10 am
I mean, yes, we should all get to be in a band. Life should not work in the manner where we do not get to live our dreams.

Boo to that.

it wouldnt be so exciting if it was handed to you..... its important and a dream because you have to make it happen.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: theinevitable on November 17, 2009, 05:17:36 am
how can I go to a school of 6000 or so people and not be able to find anyone who wants to be in a damn garage band with me? Everyone either says "yeah" and can only play the opening riff from Heartbreaker, or says yes but then is all like, "oh, this is in Bb, 5/4 time, you should play *complicated riff* in harmony with me, just move it up a flat 6th."
I am overstating. But come on people, be mediocre yet semi-competent on your instrument, and play stupid fun riffs with me. Don't want to start a free jazz band.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 17, 2009, 05:19:50 am
I am overstating. But come on people, be mediocre yet semi-competent on your instrument, and play stupid fun riffs with me. Don't want to start a free jazz band.

you dont want to out-wank the mars volta?
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: theinevitable on November 17, 2009, 05:23:47 am
yeah, actually, really the problem is that when I try to play music with those people, I end up feeling bad because they have to explain things to me so many times.

I just want to play covers of like, Bo Diddley songs, or something.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: pmcd9 on November 17, 2009, 05:32:11 am
Teodor is not in a band because despite his arrogant posturing he just can't get it done when it's down to the wire.  Every project he's ever taken on he's fucked up.  A band, hell, he could have had a record out if he was worth a shit.  Ray gave him the keys to the studio and he abandoned the project because he couldn't figure out the console.  Remember how he dropped the ball on the food at Beef's wedding?  How about the time he couldn't even stay awake when his woman Penny came to visit.

Goddammit T get your act together!  Sorry, I'm seeing way too much of Teodor in my own life right now.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 17, 2009, 06:36:54 am
Paul, I am on the same page as you and the Bear.

In retrospect, the last... eight or nine years of my life seem to be one long unending string of situations wherein I was handed the keys to destiny and, time after time, did not realize the fact until on reflection afterwards excepting a few cases wherein I knew what I was possibly getting into, decided that I would only embarass myself, and got out of dodge before I could humiliate myself in the effort.

I... need to be less like this.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Dangermoose on November 17, 2009, 06:47:28 am
Christ, this comic turned everyone I know who read it today into Roast Beef.  This comic depressed more people than all of the Cure combined.  This comic is like the depression version of that one movie that makes everybody die.  Look at this thread!
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 17, 2009, 07:40:04 am
Ironically, the cure for The Cure is Gyne-Lotrimin.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: oball on November 17, 2009, 07:59:22 am
The Cure made a lot of good music.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Choop on November 17, 2009, 08:03:20 am
this strip is the volvo of despair of webcomics
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: theinevitable on November 17, 2009, 08:23:57 am
I love exactly 1 Cure Album.
it is the one that sounds least like the cure.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 17, 2009, 08:30:44 am
Boys Don't Cry?  Because god damn that is good.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: dejavroom on November 17, 2009, 10:54:56 am
Closest match I got was Cornelius (or the uncle about whom Philippe thinks about, who went splat upon barbed wire [because once this actually happened]).
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 17, 2009, 02:54:41 pm
so...many....cans....to...give....must. ....keep ....    up .......... strength
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: theinevitable on November 17, 2009, 03:50:50 pm
oh, yes, Boys Don't Cry.

Boys Don't Cry is the same as Three Imaginary Boys plus that one song, right? I have Three Imaginary Boys because it was only like 12 bucks, and Boys Don't Cry was 20 bucks.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: AugustWest on November 17, 2009, 04:15:53 pm
this strip is the volvo of despair of webcomics

This Strip!  My Heart's Explodin'!  My basal nervous system needs a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor!
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Dangermoose on November 17, 2009, 04:23:50 pm
this strip is the volvo of despair of webcomics

was what I was trying to say.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: TripperDay on November 17, 2009, 10:43:13 pm
Paul, I am on the same page as you and the Bear.

In retrospect, the last... eight or nine years of my life seem to be one long unending string of situations wherein I was handed the keys to destiny and, time after time, did not realize the fact until on reflection afterwards excepting a few cases wherein I knew what I was possibly getting into, decided that I would only embarass myself, and got out of dodge before I could humiliate myself in the effort.

I... need to be less like this.

I'm glad other people are feeling this. It shouldn't matter, but it does.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: rowboat on November 17, 2009, 11:05:35 pm
Easily the best strip of the year so far. I think it's on the fast track to a spot in at least the all time top 30 in my book. It's like a punch in the brain.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Dullscythe on November 18, 2009, 06:54:39 am
I had the Philippe moment when I was 6. I met an uncle who asked if I had the ability to remove my limbs; I said no, I did not. He then took off his right leg from the knee down, which was a big surprise to my six year old self. Later, after I stopped hiding and crying, my father told me about how my uncle had fallen from a barn roof as a teenager. He landed in the hay, but unfortunately, there was a pitchfork there and it went through his leg.

I had the Ray moment a year ago. I only dealt with it within the last month due to "forgetting" about it at every opportunity, until it could not be put off any longer.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 18, 2009, 07:02:27 am
I was briefly confused and thought that the above was an example of a made-up sex act, as per a different thread in a different place.

I was... exponentially confused as I read further and further into the posting.

I don't know if I'm horrified that this actually happened or relieved that at least this was not made up by a person's imagination.

Because then, like, maybe imagination would be too dangerous for this world and I had enjoyed imagination to this point.

I was sorry to see that it would have to be banned.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Dangermoose on November 18, 2009, 07:23:55 pm
All sex acts were made up once.  The power is in our hands to change.

The Philippe Moment should never be one, though.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: TedStriker on November 19, 2009, 12:00:43 am
this strip keeps reminding me that one of the chief reasons I read Achewood is because Onstad knows the difference between melancholy and maudlin. And he knows which one hurts.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: lprkn on November 19, 2009, 04:28:11 am
All sex acts were made up once.  The power is in our hands to change.

Sig'd!
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: AugustWest on November 19, 2009, 05:40:56 am
this strip keeps reminding me that one of the chief reasons I read Achewood is because Onstad knows the difference between melancholy and maudlin. And he knows which one hurts.

Have a can for the insight.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 19, 2009, 05:44:38 am
this strip keeps reminding me that one of the chief reasons I read Achewood is because Onstad knows the difference between melancholy and maudlin. And he knows which one hurts.

Damn, Ted.  You make me feel guilty I voted for myself for best n00b. 
(I actually nominated you, so that counts as a vote, yes?)
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: TedStriker on November 19, 2009, 03:15:27 pm
Given the questionable quality of my ass and the confusing nature of photos thereof, this is all I've got by way of campaigning.



Seriously.  Theologians and scientists alike are confused by my ass.
Title: Re: November 15, 2009 - A black freckle in his armpit
Post by: Dangermoose on November 19, 2009, 04:48:31 pm
Sig'd!

Humbl'd.