The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on November 22, 2009, 09:19:36 pm

Title: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 22, 2009, 09:19:36 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7j2jWS_Vcw
       This was brought to my attention via digg. Evidently I went to school with lady gaga when she was still going by her real name. Here at a performance at an N.Y.U. talent show (which I used to go to because despite its other faults, N.Y.U. puts on some great student shows) she actually looks like a sane and very talented person.
       I guess my question here is whether she should be called a sell out, or just a musically gifted person who would otherwise have just been another nice voice if she hadn't gone all crazy like? At the end the reviewer says "Norah Jones look out" and well, theres already a norah jones, so she had to adapt maybe. Crazy like a fox is my call here.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: rowboat on November 22, 2009, 10:18:23 pm
Not a fan or either incarnation, but she obviously made a good decision in becoming what she did. To get Grammys and shit doing the Norah Jones thing you basically have to be the very best, and - though I'm also not a fan of Jones - she probably wasn't going to best her at that game. It's a much easier route to go freaky and become a gay icon and dance club mainstay. There's a lot more room at the top of that particular pile. Give props to her handlers for recognizing this and putting a plan into action. If she'd stayed Stefani Germanotta we would never have heard of her. As to whether or not that would've been especially tragic......that's probably a conversation for a different thread (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,5206.0.html).
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 23, 2009, 12:22:46 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7j2jWS_Vcw
       This was brought to my attention via digg. Evidently I went to school with lady gaga when she was still going by her real name. Here at a performance at an N.Y.U. talent show (which I used to go to because despite its other faults, N.Y.U. puts on some great student shows) she actually looks like a sane and very talented person.
       I guess my question here is whether she should be called a sell out, or just a musically gifted person who would otherwise have just been another nice voice if she hadn't gone all crazy like? At the end the reviewer says "Norah Jones look out" and well, theres already a norah jones, so she had to adapt maybe. Crazy like a fox is my call here.

I figure it is like professional wrestling. The more ridiculous your stage persona is, the less you adopt it in your day to day life and the more money you rake in. The only people silly enough to believe the "crazy" stage persona is the same as your own personality are people who serve no purpose in your life other than a sustainable source of income.

Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: CortJstr on November 23, 2009, 01:13:46 am
Or maybe she got into the music business with the single goal of selling out. There are a few acts like that, although they generally seem to come from super poor backgrounds like Good Charlotte.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 23, 2009, 01:34:23 am
Or maybe she got into the music business with the single goal of selling out. There are a few acts like that, although they generally seem to come from super poor backgrounds like Good Charlotte.

I think the concept of selling out is when someone gives up their ideals of making art to make money. If your goal is making money by churning out pop hits to begin with, it isn't selling out. A cursory view of Ms. The Gaga's wikipedia page revealed, besides a paucity of pornographic images, the fact that she used to work as a songwriter for other pop artists. Thus, the concept of music writing as a job/means of income versus OMG ART is pretty plausible. Hence, not selling out, since no ideals were traded away in exchange for money.

Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 23, 2009, 04:03:44 am
is there a difference between cashing in and selling out?
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 23, 2009, 04:15:44 am
is there a difference between cashing in and selling out?
Cashing in would be if she found a way to use the talent demonstrated in this video to continue on that path without adopting some grand character that turns out disposable pop for no reason other than the cash is greater.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: TedStriker on November 23, 2009, 02:09:48 pm
The thing about her that frustrates me is that she rolls around like she's smarter than your average pop star, what with the couture outfits and the "hey, I read Camus" press quotes.  The fact is that she makes reasonably catchy pop music, can sing fairly well, and has a schnoz best designed for collecting insects.  By pretending to be something else, she fails to do pop well, and she fails to do smart well.

She may be the first person to ever "sell out" by becoming more pretentious.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: CortJstr on November 23, 2009, 02:15:47 pm
I actually haven't clicked on that link just so I can remain fully ignorant of what this woman looks like. Sadly I have heard her one song a couple of times now (damn you South Park and Black Cat!)
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 23, 2009, 07:07:17 pm
The thing about her that frustrates me is that she rolls around like she's smarter than your average pop star, what with the couture outfits and the "hey, I read Camus" press quotes.  The fact is that she makes reasonably catchy pop music, can sing fairly well, and has a schnoz best designed for collecting insects.  By pretending to be something else, she fails to do pop well, and she fails to do smart well.

She may be the first person to ever "sell out" by becoming more pretentious.
The point here is that she is smarter than the average pop star. Everything about her career up until her signing with Def Jam records and her continued production of music and lyrics for herself and others indicates someone who has chosen this bizarre persona over her own to make more money.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 23, 2009, 07:11:40 pm
The point here is that she is smarter than the average pop star. Everything about her career up until her signing with Def Jam records and her continued production of music and lyrics for herself and others indicates someone who has chosen this bizarre persona over her own to make more money.

Also, her nose really isnt that big. I mean it kind of sticks out a bit and if you tried to kiss her you might get stuck in the eye, but you had fair warning when she told you about her p-p-p-p-p-poker face.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Choop on November 23, 2009, 07:31:32 pm
that isn't what that song is about (it is about oral pleasures of a dude by a lady) (sorry to ruin your interpretation)

i'm going to see lady gaga live in concert right after christmas, should be entertaining at the very least
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 23, 2009, 07:38:46 pm
that isn't what that song is about (it is about oral pleasures of a dude by a lady) (sorry to ruin your interpretation)

i'm going to see lady gaga live in concert right after christmas, should be entertaining at the very least


You are buying into the corporate press kit, Choop. Toucan Sam can tell you he's following his GPS to a fine french restaurant, but you and I both know that he is following his p-p-p-p-p-poker face to froot loops.

Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: smick on November 24, 2009, 06:59:47 am
I purchased "The Fame Monster" today.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: lprkn on November 24, 2009, 07:17:58 am
I downloaded it a couple of days ago. Mostly because I couldn't get that damn single out of my head.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: jay-ell on November 24, 2009, 03:10:50 pm
I write poetry for a greeting card company.

I have written sincere poetry in the past, but the stuff I submit for the greeting cards is the kind of poetry I generally despise: unrhymed, unstructured free verse with arbitrary line breaks and a lot of Feelings.

But I'm good at it. I have a knack for finding a rhythm that works and an unusual angle on common events for which people often send cards. I can churn out a poem in 20 minutes, and if it's accepted, I get a check for $300 (eventually). I haven't written personal poetry in years, and the only reason I started up again was to make money.

So my question for you is, am I cashing in or selling out?
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Choop on November 24, 2009, 03:13:32 pm
whichever it is, i care not. you rock on, jay-ell.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: AugustWest on November 24, 2009, 03:32:38 pm
I can churn out a poem in 20 minutes, and if it's accepted, I get a check for $300 (eventually).

Holy crap!  Where do I sign up?
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: wombat on November 24, 2009, 03:54:38 pm
I write poetry for a greeting card company.

I have written sincere poetry in the past, but the stuff I submit for the greeting cards is the kind of poetry I generally despise: unrhymed, unstructured free verse with arbitrary line breaks and a lot of Feelings.

But I'm good at it. I have a knack for finding a rhythm that works and an unusual angle on common events for which people often send cards. I can churn out a poem in 20 minutes, and if it's accepted, I get a check for $300 (eventually). I haven't written personal poetry in years, and the only reason I started up again was to make money.

So my question for you is, am I cashing in or selling out?

That is just working for a living.

Is this Blue Mountain Arts? I have looked at their website on occasion and been very sad that I have no idea how to write that kind of thing.

Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: bluemoon72 on November 24, 2009, 04:33:30 pm
I write poetry for a greeting card company.
...
So my question for you is, am I cashing in or selling out?

Agreed with Wombat; that's just business.  No worries there.  If you changed your personal art to make money, that's perhaps a different story.  But this poetry that you write for the cards, that's not your heart and soul on the page, your blood and your children sold for netflix money. 
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: jay-ell on November 24, 2009, 04:38:32 pm
Holy crap!  Where do I sign up?


Is this Blue Mountain Arts? I have looked at their website on occasion and been very sad that I have no idea how to write that kind of thing.


Yes.

I should note here, however, that while I have had some stuff accepted for market testing, none of it has come out the other end yet, for better or for worse. It's apparently a two-year process. But it's pretty good money if you're not interested in keeping the rights to your stuff at all.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: smick on November 25, 2009, 02:58:05 am
I've hit the point in my life where I can pretty much have anything playing on my radio, as long as I like it.

I'm worried less and less about cred or style.   I can listen to a Lady Gaga, or a Minus 5.   

The terms "indy" and "sell out" are all pretty much B.S.   Music is commercial, and everyone you can hear on the radio has sold out.

The Fame Monster is pretty good.   It's going to be rad to clean the house to.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: wombat on November 25, 2009, 03:51:03 am
I should note here, however, that while I have had some stuff accepted for market testing, none of it has come out the other end yet, for better or for worse. It's apparently a two-year process. But it's pretty good money if you're not interested in keeping the rights to your stuff at all.

Interesting, I had no idea greeting cards were so complicated.

That is pretty good money for sure. I get paid $300 for an 800 word article that requires interviewing several people, and I also have to sell the rights. Although on the bright side I don't have to wait for market testing.

Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Choop on November 25, 2009, 03:54:45 am
all i can picture is jay-ell at a desk in an office with seth green in a wheelchair, ridiculing her work.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: theinevitable on November 25, 2009, 07:56:22 am
I guess I had not heard Lady Gaga, because the other day I heard a song and was told that it was her. I HATE HER TO HELL.

I do not really listen to the radio, because I hate everything on the radio except:
KWUR 90.3 FM, the radio station I work at
KZQZ 1430 AM, the greatest Golden Oldies station in the world. Unfortunately they have started playing a lot less old country stuff, which was the best.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 25, 2009, 08:00:00 am
all i can picture is jay-ell at a desk in an office with seth green in a wheelchair, ridiculing her work.

canned

I guess I had not heard Lady Gaga, because the other day I heard a song and was told that it was her. I HATE HER TO HELL.

i think that creepystalker song of hers on the radio(ill make you love me,etc...) is good for strangling puppies to.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: theinevitable on November 25, 2009, 08:22:01 am
today I came home and my little sister wanted to talk to me about music. I think I did a good job of pretending that I don't hate that Owl City song. I told her she should borrow my brother's Postal Service CD if she wants to hear more music that sounds like that.

she had also been listening to this random CD that I apparently left sitting on my desk. Which is cute.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: rowboat on November 25, 2009, 09:24:38 pm
KZQZ 1430 AM, the greatest Golden Oldies station in the world. Unfortunately they have started playing a lot less old country stuff, which was the best.
Unfortunately, KZQZ doesn't just play less classic country, but have completely switched formats (and owners, I believe) and now rarely play any. Still, it's probably the best oldies station I've ever heard. It's almost like underground oldies. Lot of shit I've never heard, which is rare for that kind of station. One of the few perks of AM, I guess. You can play shit that maybe not everyone will like and get away with it.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: theinevitable on November 25, 2009, 10:31:22 pm
also they play like one actual commercial per hour.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: CortJstr on November 26, 2009, 04:20:20 am
also they play like one actual commercial per hour.

This is one of the reasons I always like WNRN. They play 58 minutes of music an hour.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: miles on November 26, 2009, 06:50:39 am
It's so hard these days to find a good Oldies station.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 26, 2009, 07:38:14 am
It's so hard these days to find a good Oldies station.
yeah man, iPhones/blackberries and SiriusXM are really hard to use.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 26, 2009, 08:12:47 am
Yeah, A-CAP, but isn't there something spontaneous and magical if its an actual radio station? Doesn't it somehow count for more if it is an actual broadcast plucked outta the sky, a live person not all that physically far from you occasionally talking about a traffic accident two miles away from you or whatever between songs and ads? I honestly get something more out of that.

(http://www.pergunnareriksson.se/images/donadfagen_nightflyB.jpg)

Some guy like that, out there, alive, and when he plays the song you dig, it is like a gift just for you, not the luck of a random setting in a computer somewhere. You could be the only one listening or there could be thousands! Who knows. I dunno, man, I find the whole idea fuckin' enchanting.

If I JUST wanted to listen to the exact songs I like, exactly in the order I want them, I would listen to my CDs.

But radio's got surprise and magic going for it.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: theinevitable on November 26, 2009, 08:26:30 am
that is my dream, that some weird guy is out there really getting into my radio show.
one time a random guy actually did call in because he really liked something I played.

also, I have only heard people talk maybe twice on KZQZ. We fantasize that it's a big, old-fashioned computer somewhere spinning the hits.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: jay-ell on November 26, 2009, 04:11:30 pm
I rarely listen to the radio any more, because usually if I'm driving somewhere without the kids I prefer the silence. But yesterday I heard a DJ use the word "paen," correctly pronounced and in its proper context.

I was impressed, and thought maybe I should listen to the radio more.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: pmcd9 on November 27, 2009, 06:08:37 pm
Lady Gaga Rocks!  I don't give two shits if she's sold out or cashed in or whatever the fuck, she's making the best pop music out in a long time and I enjoy listening to it.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 27, 2009, 07:04:42 pm
lady gaga has a lot more artistic credibility than fergie.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Drygioni on November 27, 2009, 07:36:51 pm
Lady Gaga and her vestigial c*ck can fuck right off.

As if the constant over-exposure to her music wasn't enough to set me over the edge this ruined my Friday evening a couple months back

A bipedal chihuahua singing in an incredibly flat annoying voice punctuated with godawful shrieking and scary faces and blatantly not singing on the choruses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWGyg1zqjlo)

If you don't have much time skip towards 2.00 mins in and watch for a few seconds and I sincerely hope you do not experience the same wish that I did to throw up because it was not pleasant

I accept that she is omnipresent, good at what she does and catchy but so is the common flu
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: pmcd9 on November 27, 2009, 07:45:06 pm
I hadn't seen that one Judy, thanks for the link.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Drygioni on November 27, 2009, 07:49:13 pm
I hadn't seen that one Judy, thanks for the link.

Haha. That's alright mate. I'm glad my pathetic ranting brought about by boredom and a severe dose of man flu has let a music fan enjoy some music they like.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: side_show on November 27, 2009, 11:05:34 pm
I love Lady Gaga.  Making fun of her nose is akin to making fun of Freddie Mercury's snaggle teeth.  It is irrelevant.  She is fug on purpose.  Selling out would be getting the rhinoplasty 90% of famous people get. 
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 28, 2009, 02:59:37 am
I have no idea if Lady Gaga is good or not, as I simply lack the ability to enjoy any dance music, not matter how good or bad it is said to be by the standards of dance music.

She might be good?

I was raised with the idea that music is something to be enjoyed, sitting still in a corner, listening intently to each note.

My dad has every King Crimson on vinyl. It rendered me basically colour-blind to any appreciation of dance music.

It definitely seemed like she had a ween in those pictures, though. That or she was rocking five maxipads at once for some inscrutable reason.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: lprkn on November 28, 2009, 04:34:41 am
I always the thought the main criteria for dance music is whether or not it makes you want to dance. As a non-dancer, I may be mistaken.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: CortJstr on November 28, 2009, 04:43:15 am
I always the thought the main criteria for dance music is whether or not it makes you want to dance. As a non-dancer, I may be mistaken.

I actually like to listen to dance music while I read, especially on a plane or hotel where it's never really quiet. When I listen to other music I get caught up in the lyrics but since dance/techno has no or few lyrics it makes better background.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: greenkoolayd on November 28, 2009, 06:09:40 am
I love Lady Gaga.  Making fun of her nose is akin to making fun of Freddie Mercury's snaggle teeth.  It is irrelevant.  She is fug on purpose.  Selling out would be getting the rhinoplasty 90% of famous people get. 

he had a substantial schnoz, as well, i think.

i like some dancerock, such as the electric six and franz ferdinand.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: theinevitable on November 29, 2009, 12:04:31 am
yeah, I find her music so bad that I don't even want to dance to it. I just want to HATE.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: linnea on November 29, 2009, 01:15:49 am
At first I thought I had never heard any of Lady Gaga's stuff. But they do play it at the bar, and damn is her stuff catchy. I like dancing to her music. Her stuff would be great in a workout playlist. I love her crazy fashion style. Also, I think her nose is perfect.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: linnea on November 29, 2009, 01:25:11 am
I do have a question. Every time I read about Lady Gaga, I some d-bag is making comments that she has a "package". WTF is up with that? She is biologically female, right? Or is she intersex? I'm confused.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: theinevitable on November 29, 2009, 01:47:37 am
intersex. she has a "peener" in her words.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: linnea on November 29, 2009, 02:18:28 am
intersex. she has a "peener" in her words.

Well, her manager apparently told ABC news (a source I consider more reputable than, say, Bossip.com) that it's bunk. http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=8278249&page=1 Guess I answered my own question.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Choop on November 29, 2009, 04:04:20 am
there's an old interview wherein she mentions it.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 29, 2009, 05:05:27 am
there's an old interview wherein she mentions it.
I thought I read that that interview was a hoax.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: jaydub on November 30, 2009, 03:12:22 am
She strikes me as the type who would stir up rumors to raise her profile.  She's cut from Madonna's cloth in a self-promotion way.  I like her nose.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 30, 2009, 03:23:33 am
Also this: Poker Face live and acoustic, slowed down with some character Poker Face live and acoustic, slowed down with some character (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_UUKJlPbXM)
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Toaster on December 13, 2009, 10:57:51 pm
I have to admit that I thought she was sily at first, because it seemed to me that she had Serious Face. But then I heard her music, and watched some interviews, and heard other people talking about her, and I realized that her Serious Face is like Colbert's, in that there is always a smile under the surface, and once you know it's there, you can always find it. Now I think she's awesome, and Relevant.
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 21, 2009, 02:44:59 pm
http://vigilantcitizen.com/?p=1676

SHE IS AN AGENT OF THE ILLUMINATI

the commments are even better
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: miles on December 22, 2009, 01:18:11 am
I WANT TO BELIEVE
Title: Re: Lady The Gaga
Post by: Choop on December 29, 2009, 06:04:33 am
just saw her at the fox, she had two mediocre openers in front of the scrim.

and then she rocked the house. i've never seen a show so technically amazing, but i don't go see pop concerts or U2. i was thoroughly entertained and out of respect for those who knew the words, i didn't try to sing along.