Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lady The Gaga  (Read 11220 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Lady The Gaga
« on: November 22, 2009, 09:19:36 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7j2jWS_Vcw
       This was brought to my attention via digg. Evidently I went to school with lady gaga when she was still going by her real name. Here at a performance at an N.Y.U. talent show (which I used to go to because despite its other faults, N.Y.U. puts on some great student shows) she actually looks like a sane and very talented person.
       I guess my question here is whether she should be called a sell out, or just a musically gifted person who would otherwise have just been another nice voice if she hadn't gone all crazy like? At the end the reviewer says "Norah Jones look out" and well, theres already a norah jones, so she had to adapt maybe. Crazy like a fox is my call here.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

rowboat

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -2666
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 180
    • View Profile
    • The Rats and People Motion Picture Orchestra
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 10:18:23 pm »

Not a fan or either incarnation, but she obviously made a good decision in becoming what she did. To get Grammys and shit doing the Norah Jones thing you basically have to be the very best, and - though I'm also not a fan of Jones - she probably wasn't going to best her at that game. It's a much easier route to go freaky and become a gay icon and dance club mainstay. There's a lot more room at the top of that particular pile. Give props to her handlers for recognizing this and putting a plan into action. If she'd stayed Stefani Germanotta we would never have heard of her. As to whether or not that would've been especially tragic......that's probably a conversation for a different thread.
Logged
PS  I got shot by Ray again

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:22:46 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7j2jWS_Vcw
       This was brought to my attention via digg. Evidently I went to school with lady gaga when she was still going by her real name. Here at a performance at an N.Y.U. talent show (which I used to go to because despite its other faults, N.Y.U. puts on some great student shows) she actually looks like a sane and very talented person.
       I guess my question here is whether she should be called a sell out, or just a musically gifted person who would otherwise have just been another nice voice if she hadn't gone all crazy like? At the end the reviewer says "Norah Jones look out" and well, theres already a norah jones, so she had to adapt maybe. Crazy like a fox is my call here.

I figure it is like professional wrestling. The more ridiculous your stage persona is, the less you adopt it in your day to day life and the more money you rake in. The only people silly enough to believe the "crazy" stage persona is the same as your own personality are people who serve no purpose in your life other than a sustainable source of income.

Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 01:13:46 am »

Or maybe she got into the music business with the single goal of selling out. There are a few acts like that, although they generally seem to come from super poor backgrounds like Good Charlotte.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 01:34:23 am »

Or maybe she got into the music business with the single goal of selling out. There are a few acts like that, although they generally seem to come from super poor backgrounds like Good Charlotte.

I think the concept of selling out is when someone gives up their ideals of making art to make money. If your goal is making money by churning out pop hits to begin with, it isn't selling out. A cursory view of Ms. The Gaga's wikipedia page revealed, besides a paucity of pornographic images, the fact that she used to work as a songwriter for other pop artists. Thus, the concept of music writing as a job/means of income versus OMG ART is pretty plausible. Hence, not selling out, since no ideals were traded away in exchange for money.

Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 04:03:44 am »

is there a difference between cashing in and selling out?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 04:15:44 am »

is there a difference between cashing in and selling out?
Cashing in would be if she found a way to use the talent demonstrated in this video to continue on that path without adopting some grand character that turns out disposable pop for no reason other than the cash is greater.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »

The thing about her that frustrates me is that she rolls around like she's smarter than your average pop star, what with the couture outfits and the "hey, I read Camus" press quotes.  The fact is that she makes reasonably catchy pop music, can sing fairly well, and has a schnoz best designed for collecting insects.  By pretending to be something else, she fails to do pop well, and she fails to do smart well.

She may be the first person to ever "sell out" by becoming more pretentious.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 02:15:47 pm »

I actually haven't clicked on that link just so I can remain fully ignorant of what this woman looks like. Sadly I have heard her one song a couple of times now (damn you South Park and Black Cat!)
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 07:07:17 pm »

The thing about her that frustrates me is that she rolls around like she's smarter than your average pop star, what with the couture outfits and the "hey, I read Camus" press quotes.  The fact is that she makes reasonably catchy pop music, can sing fairly well, and has a schnoz best designed for collecting insects.  By pretending to be something else, she fails to do pop well, and she fails to do smart well.

She may be the first person to ever "sell out" by becoming more pretentious.
The point here is that she is smarter than the average pop star. Everything about her career up until her signing with Def Jam records and her continued production of music and lyrics for herself and others indicates someone who has chosen this bizarre persona over her own to make more money.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 07:11:40 pm »

The point here is that she is smarter than the average pop star. Everything about her career up until her signing with Def Jam records and her continued production of music and lyrics for herself and others indicates someone who has chosen this bizarre persona over her own to make more money.

Also, her nose really isnt that big. I mean it kind of sticks out a bit and if you tried to kiss her you might get stuck in the eye, but you had fair warning when she told you about her p-p-p-p-p-poker face.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 07:31:32 pm »

that isn't what that song is about (it is about oral pleasures of a dude by a lady) (sorry to ruin your interpretation)

i'm going to see lady gaga live in concert right after christmas, should be entertaining at the very least
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 07:38:46 pm »

that isn't what that song is about (it is about oral pleasures of a dude by a lady) (sorry to ruin your interpretation)

i'm going to see lady gaga live in concert right after christmas, should be entertaining at the very least


You are buying into the corporate press kit, Choop. Toucan Sam can tell you he's following his GPS to a fine french restaurant, but you and I both know that he is following his p-p-p-p-p-poker face to froot loops.

Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 06:59:47 am »

I purchased "The Fame Monster" today.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Lady The Gaga
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 07:17:58 am »

I downloaded it a couple of days ago. Mostly because I couldn't get that damn single out of my head.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up