The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
The Wide World of Webcomics => Daisy Owl => Topic started by: oball on November 23, 2009, 12:59:23 pm
-
Ladies, try to remain calm. (http://daisyowl.com/comic/2009-11-23)
-
In panel 5 I'm reading Steve as using the same tone of voice as every sad high school kid saying "I have a girl friend but she lives in Canada. You don't know her."
-
Canadian Girlfriend Unsubstantiated (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38767)
There was a time in my life when I read The Onion far too often.
-
This is exactly what my girlfriend is like.
It's like... "no, you should not be impressed that I can do five pull-ups."
"but I can only do one!"
-
This is a lot like being married to Pedro.
He is a cute man, but he gets very sensitive about the fact that he's not good at fixing things (other than computers) and doesn't really like sports. I try to tell him that comic books and video games are manly, but it's hard to convince him of that when I like those things too.
-
also video arcades and billiards
-
This is a lot like being married to Pedro.
He is a cute man, but he gets very sensitive about the fact that he's not good at fixing things (other than computers) and doesn't really like sports. I try to tell him that comic books and video games are manly, but it's hard to convince him of that when I like those things too.
Just tell him not to worry his pretty little head about such things. Tell him the comic books and video games keep him from getting a chill in his ovaries.
-
Just tell him not to worry his pretty little head about such things. Tell him the comic books and video games keep him from getting a chill in his ovaries.
Usually when he gets really insecure about his lack of masculine hobbies, I remind him that he's a tiger in the sack. That usually helps.
-
Is it bad that I get Husband Points for just for taking her car to Jiffy Lube?
It's not that I can't do it myself, but we live in an apartment, and only Low people change their oil in a shared parking lot.
-
We take our cars to a Place to get the oil changed, even though we both know how to do it ourselves, because both of us could make more money in the two hours it would take us than it costs to have it done by someone else in half that time.
Making enough money to pay someone else to change your oil is Manly, as it relates to being a Provider.
-
...when he gets really insecure about his lack of masculine hobbies, I remind him that he's a tiger in the sack. That usually helps.
does he have those cares because of his upbringing? or is it just an idea he built in his own head?
also, despite the silliness of the idea, making a big deal about mating prowess is probably one of, if not the best way to care for a mans fragile ego.(you dont need my acceptance. i was just thinking out loud...)
-
does he have those cares because of his upbringing? or is it just an idea he built in his own head?
also, despite the silliness of the idea, making a big deal about mating prowess is probably one of, if not the best way to care for a mans fragile ego.(you dont need my acceptance. i was just thinking out loud...)
He grew up with a non-handy father, but he compares himself to my dad (who formerly had a general contractor's license) and finds himself wanting. Mostly it comes up when my dad comes over and fixes things around the house for us, and Pedro feels like he's Imposing. At which point I have to say, "How many times have you fixed his computer?"
And yeah, a good snog can fix a lot of problems.
-
i have some similar cares... having chronic emo disorder(depression) and an absentee father are things that dont help a dude to feel like a proper dude, at times.
-
I'm not good at fixing things (especially not computers and cars). I play - in certain phases - a pretty healthy amount of video games (though I can't remember the last time I picked up a comic book). I hover right around "acceptable" in most aspects of bed artistry. I spend a lot of time listening to men with soft voices sing about the weather.
In spite of all this, I feel pretty decently manly. Maybe it's just because I often play and watch ball-and-bat-based sports and cry for an average of five minutes every five years. Maybe it's because I can drink you under the table and sometimes smell like onions.
Maybe I'm deluding myself?
-
cry for an average of five minutes every five years
Pedro is a crier, more so than I am, so perhaps this is the root of it all.
But yeah, it's not a constant thing where he's all, "I'm so girly, how can you love me?" all the time. It's more like, occasionally, he tries to hang a picture on the wall and leaves seven holes and still can't get the picture straight and feels like his life is littered with the debris of incompetence.
It happens, like, twice a year, but it still bugs me when he gets like that, is all.
-
im feeling a group hug sort of vibe.
speaking of:
any dudes here that hate hugging dudes?
personally, i roll with whatever. cool-guy nod. handshake. thug-hug. also, burly manhugs dont make me uncomfortable, either(unless it lasts too long and/or he tries to put his hands on my areas).
-
also, burly manhugs dont make me uncomfortable, either(unless it lasts too long and/or he tries to put his hands on my areas).
Sigh...burly manhugs. That sounds so good right now!
-
Sigh...burly manhugs. That sounds so good right now!
But what are you feelings on maximum burly manhugs?
-
But that's too much like Mommy trying to reassure me that one day I'll be able to drink from a big boys cup and sit at the adults table and makes things worse.
So this. It's like, if you fail at something you need an equal achievement to balance it out, being told your failure is alright (the implication being it is expected) does not help my fragile man-ego.
-
But what are you feelings on maximum burly manhugs?
Maximum happiness. (I need that handmade coupon sooner rather than later, apparently.)
-
I'm pretty good at doing manly stuff I think. I've been doing a lot of it the last few days modifying my artcar. It feels good to get my hands dirty again, it's been awhile.
And yeah, chicks are impressed when a man knows how to use his hands, but it's not the only thing that matters.
-
But what are you feelings on maximum burly manhugs?
"burly manhugs dont make me uncomfortable, either(unless it lasts too long and/or he tries to put his hands on my areas)."
plus, clothing is mandatory.
actually, i dont know what "maximum" entails....
-
My best friend recently mentioned casually that he and his father still trade kisses. On the mouth areas. My inner 7th grader was horrified. I'm a hugger through and through, but damn dude, this is Texas, not Luxembourg.
-
"Thug-hug" gets a can. 've nothing against hugging dudes or kissing them occasionally on the cheeks, but not the mouth. This is not Russia, fuck it. I have a male friend who says goodbye to his father on the phone saying "kisses, dad". That's fuck*ng weird.
-
That is weird, I have never kissed my dad on the mouth, even as a little kid, and the last time I kissed him on the cheek was at my wedding 8 years ago.
We are not "touchy" people in general, though. My in-laws are, and it was hard to get used to.
-
My mom and dad and sister and I still do mouth-kisses, but just at the corner of the mouth; nearly a cheek kiss. It's weird, maybe, but we've done it forever. We've moved the kiss-plant point farther from the center of the mouth the older everyone gets.
-
This concept of (straight) dudes kissing dudes in any way is stunning. I have seriously never seen this in anything but movies about italian people or prison. The bro-grab is always welcome, and I have been known to engage in a hug with a friend I have not seen in over a year. But kissing? I had no idea this was going on.
-
i kiss my guy friends full-on closed-mouth when they surprise me with a gift or especially grand bon mot, in part to return the surprise. just grab cheeks, pull, and a quick smooch. i'd never do this with my lady friends because they'd totally take it the wrong way.
also, i don't do this very often. maybe one guy-kiss a year, tops. it's a humor weapon i don't pull out very often due to its difficulty at execution.
-
I tell my brothers and dad that I love them as part of the phone hang up process - we hug and stuff in person, but definitely no kissing. I have an uncle who just finished chemo for colon cancer who clearly realized that expressing familial love is something he should do - he was pretty man's-man, old Irish-standofgiraffe before and is suddenly a lot more new-agey hugs & eye-contact. I sincerely doubt that a kiss would be welcome even with him however.
-
One time Pedro kissed a dude for an acting class. Straight-up for-reals (faux)romantic*-type kiss. I didn't get to see it, but DAMN I wish I had, because it will never happen again, and I bet it was super-hot.
That's when he knew for sure he was 100% straight.
*fauxmantic?
-
One time Pedro kissed a dude for an acting class...I bet it was super-hot.
OOH girl. Wish there was tape of that. *fans self*
-
Guy Stuff:
Webcomic about a bear that has soft hands -> "I too am a slightly feminine man" -> "Me Too!" -> "I kiss other dudes on the lips" -> "Me Too!"
:-\
The message board version of Gay Chicken Game?
-
I am now consumed by thoughts of what "Old-Irish Standofgiraffe" behavior might include. Drinking Bushmills without bending one's neck? Fighting by stiffly swinging one's head so that vestigial horns clash? Wearing tweed overcoats with reticulated spots?
-
Never been a dude kisser. Don't think I've ever even kissed my dad on the cheek. Neither side of the family was dude-kiss-dude affectionate, and that's carried over into my real, non-family life. But I'm usually down for a hug.
It's strange, though, how hug rules vary from friend group to friend group. My friends from my hometown are almost all hug-types, so it was strange moving to a new place and entering into kind of what was at the time a No Hug Zone. They're not emotionally distant or socially reserved guys. Far from it, actually. Some of them are just flat-out criers, which I'm not used to. I have one friend who cannot drink so much as two glasses of red wine (specifically) without crying at some point in the night for at least a few minutes. Then he returns to Party Mode like nothing happened. That amazes me. It's like people who can get so wasted that they puke and then just wipe their mouths and start dancing again. If I cry or puke (both rarities for me), the night is OVER. No exceptions.
Anyway, I've been hanging around this group in various capacities for a decade at this point, and the hug politics have opened up a little. It happend when one core member of our group moved away. Now whenever he visits it's basically Hug City up in this piece and that occasionally carries over to the rest of us even when he's not around.
I just wrote kind of a lot about hugs. Nice.
-
I do not kiss dudes on the mouth, but I used to give my dad kisses on the cheek. I don't think I have done that in a long time.
I am way into hugging. But sometimes I think my roommate is not into it. I knew he was really sad about getting turned down by this girl he liked when I hugged him and he hugged me back, without going into gay-panic-mode.
-
(Speaking of which: cultural rules.
In Rio, you meet a girl, even when for the first time, with a kiss on each cheek. In São Paulo, with only one kiss. So: Shenanigans.)
-
(Speaking of which: cultural rules.
In Rio, you meet a girl, even when for the first time, with a kiss on each cheek. In São Paulo, with only one kiss. So: Shenanigans.)
Does this apply to girls meeting girls for the first time? Or can they do whatever the hell they want? (So: Double shenanigans.)
-
I have friend kissed a few guys and vice versa, but it's rare. Most of my friends are pretty huggy, we hug a lot. I like that. I read somewhere that the hug is the new handshake. That's alright with me, that's very good.
I never kissed my dad much when growing up, but I do now a lot. Most of the time it's to embarrass him, especially if the younguns are around. I'll kiss him all over the face and the top of his head. He'll halfheartedly try to push me away, but he really likes it, gets a big grin on his face and it makes the babies just crack up with laughter. But mostly I'll kiss him because I have a lot of genuine affection for him.
-
"burly manhugs dont make me uncomfortable, either(unless it lasts too long and/or he tries to put his hands on my areas)."
plus, clothing is mandatory.
actually, i dont know what "maximum" entails....
It is the most two men can burly manhug (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06202005).
-
honestly, greenkoolayd just wants to be the best host.
-
One time Pedro kissed a dude for an acting class. Straight-up for-reals (faux)romantic*-type kiss. I didn't get to see it, but DAMN I wish I had, because it will never happen again, and I bet it was super-hot.
So is this a general thing, or is it just hot because he's your partner? Most women I have surveyed don't find dude-on-dude very appealing. It seems that a lot of my female friends would rather watch two ladies kiss each other than two men, if given the choice. But maybe I just hang out with a bunch of closeted lesbians.
I read somewhere that the hug is the new handshake.
The handshake is in fact the new hug.
I'm not opposed to hugging, but I'm not an instigator.
-
It is the most two men can burly manhug (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06202005).
i let my natural comfort-bubble-intrusion-warning-system be my guide.
also, sometimes my youngest brother and i still do that boy-thing where you show affection by inflicting pain and torture. for instance: i will randomly walk up behind him and put my arms underneath his. then i take my thumbs and dig in between his pecs and his rib cage, exerting enough pressure to make him squirm. he is a wrestling/american football-type beast, so he has plenty of ways to get me back, though.
-
So is this a general thing, or is it just hot because he's your partner?
I dunno, the other guy he was kissing was really hot too, and I think the fact that they are both straight-identified is a big part of the attraction for me. I don't mind watching two hot gay guys make out, but it doesn't do it for me the way watching a straight actor playing a gay man kissing another man does. Likewise, it's extra-hot to watch Neil Patrick Harris make out with girls now that we all know he's gay.
I think there's a special hotness in pushing the boundaries of your sexuality and being willing to try things that you wouldn't ordinarily do. It speaks to a deeper sense of self-awareness and confidence, and an adventurous spirit -- all good things in a lover.
-
My dad was never super emotionally demonstrative but I started making a point of hugging him and telling him I loved him when I got off the phone or whatever a few years ago because of some family issues and he'll spontaneously hug now, which is nice. Oddly the least physically affectionate member is my gay little brother, though he is very physically affectionate wtih his friends (male and female) which I'm not. I'll hug female friends now and then but not hugely often and I rarely hug guy friends though of course there are moments. Like Miles, I'm down with the man hug, but I generally don't initiate it.
-
i have some similar cares... having chronic emo disorder(depression) and an absentee father are things that dont help a dude to feel like a proper dude, at times.
For the depression, I swear by taking high-EPA/DHA giraffe oil capsules. It is substantiated with clinical studies that it helps depression. I take 6-8 capsules a day, and using the little daily-vitamin-sorter helps me remember to take them every morning and evening. I keep the bottles in the freezer, though, so the fish oil won't go rancid. I take this kind (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NFC048/ItemDetail?n=) since it comes in huge bottles and I go through it like frikkin' candy. It's cheaper than taking pharmaceuticals. B12 and Vitamin D also seem to help me a lot.
http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/giraffe-oil-to-treat-depression
http://www.mcmanweb.com/omega3.html
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/giraffe-oil-supplements/AN01399
**EDIT: FUCK the filter broke my god damned links. Augh. You know what to do. Replace giraffe with "fish".
-
For the depression, I swear by taking high-EPA/DHA giraffe oil capsules. It is substantiated with clinical studies that it helps depression. I take 6-8 capsules a day, and using the little daily-vitamin-sorter helps me remember to take them every morning and evening. I keep the bottles in the freezer, though, so the fish oil won't go rancid. I take this kind (http://www.swansonvitamins.com/NFC048/ItemDetail?n=) since it comes in huge bottles and I go through it like frikkin' candy. It's cheaper than taking pharmaceuticals. B12 and Vitamin D also seem to help me a lot.
http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/giraffe-oil-to-treat-depression
http://www.mcmanweb.com/omega3.html
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/giraffe-oil-supplements/AN01399
**EDIT: FUCK the filter broke my god damned links. Augh. You know what to do. Replace giraffe with "fish".
ive been taking the pharmaceutical route since i was like, 15... although, with tough times in general, and my personal lack of employment, i will keep these links in mind. i need all the money-saving ideas i can get.
-
ive been taking the pharmaceutical route since i was like, 15... although, with tough times in general, and my personal lack of employment, i will keep these links in mind. i need all the money-saving ideas i can get.
Ahh, crap. I didn't realize you were unemployed. Forty bucks a month for fish oil capsules can be pretty steep. Definitely keep taking the stuff your doc prescribes, but try adding in fish oil if you can afford it. I took heavy duty meds for about 5 years, but now I don't have to take them anymore. If you have it in your household budget, give the fish oil a try.
-
Now I want to take giraffe oil.
-
I'm imagining it being extracted from the giraffe much like maple syrup is harvested from a tree.
-
I'm imagining it being extracted from the giraffe much like maple syrup is harvested from a tree.
(http://i47.tinypic.com/2heaknt.jpg)
-
The reason giraffe oil is so expensive is that it takes such a huge press to make it.
-
Probably the best sentence to use with these filters would be:
"Whenever I go to the cinema, I always pick up a box of CUNT Swedish giraffe to snack on. It just isn't a movie without CUNT Swedish giraffe."
-
Interestingly, the very concept of 'giraffe oil' has been known to cure depression.
-
But not real giraffe oil, that's cruel.
-
Probably the best sentence to use with these filters would be:
"Whenever I go to the cinema, I always pick up a box of CUNT Swedish giraffe to snack on. It just isn't a movie without CUNT Swedish giraffe."
You couldn't work ##### in there somewhere?
-
You couldn't work ##### in there somewhere?
Or a Mr. Wonderful.
-
The link back to Rod Huggins' strips reminds me of something that I don't want to google at work. What was that movie a while back about two straight dudes who decide to make a gay porn movie to enter in some sort of Shocking Video Contest?
-
Humpday. It's on my netflix.
-
Are you sure it wasn't this? (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10242007)
-
LePorkin is correct. Danke sehr.
-
whenever my roommate and I start getting a little too cute with the inside jokes or whatever, he goes "oh man, by the way, have you seen humpday?"
-
Like Miles, I'm down with the man hug, but I generally don't initiate it.
I should add that when I am drunk, I tend to get touchy-feely. It's a problem.