The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Chump Change on December 02, 2009, 07:27:31 am

Title: Chump Change tries to double major in English for some reason
Post by: Chump Change on December 02, 2009, 07:27:31 am
Quick, how did Samuel Taylor Coleridge feel about the transportative power of human memory

did he like it
Title: Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 02, 2009, 08:00:23 am
He liked it fine, but all in all, found walking more effective.
Title: Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
Post by: lprkn on December 02, 2009, 08:16:06 am
I don't know, man, wish I could help. I only ever read the Rime, and even then uncritically as a kid.

I was homeschooled for awhile, you see?
Title: Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
Post by: AugustWest on December 02, 2009, 01:57:09 pm
Quick, how did Samuel Taylor Coleridge feel about the transportative power of human memory

did he like it

He hated it.  He hated it to hell.
Title: Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
Post by: Drygioni on December 02, 2009, 05:09:22 pm
fuck*ng Coleridge. Studying Lyrical Ballads was not my favourite educational time period. I think I hate Wordsworth because I secretly wish I could put my experiences hiking the wilds of the Lake District as well as he does, just not quite as, well, gay and egotistical.

Also, do your own wanking work, bloody students.

I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts in English
Title: Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
Post by: Chump Change on December 02, 2009, 07:05:52 pm
There are entire stanzas is Byron's Don Juan that he devotes just to sassing Wordsworth, Coleridge, and their friends. That was fun. I learned things.
Title: Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
Post by: AugustWest on December 02, 2009, 08:15:15 pm
There are entire stanzas is Byron's Don Juan that he devotes just to sassing Wordsworth, Coleridge, and their friends. That was fun. I learned things.

Yeah, that's all good fun until Wordsworth pops a cap in your ass.
Title: Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
Post by: Chump Change on December 03, 2009, 12:22:20 am
Thou shalt believe in Milton, Dryden, Pope;
 Though Shalt not set up Wordsworth, Coleridge, Southey;
Because the first is crazed beyond all hope,
 The second drunk, the third so quaint and mouthey;
With Crabbe it may be difficult to cope,
 And Campbell's Hippocrene is somewhat drouthy;
Thou shalt no steal from Samuel Rogers, nor-
Commit - flirtation with the muse of Moore.
Title: Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
Post by: theinevitable on December 03, 2009, 01:33:37 am
I have not yet had to read anything longer than a short story for any college class. Next semester I am probably talking "Literature of the Cold War." We'll see how that goes.

My roommate and girlfriend are both lit people, I feel pretty outnumbered.
Title: Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
Post by: Drygioni on December 03, 2009, 03:32:59 am
Thou shalt believe in Milton, Dryden, Pope;
 Though Shalt not set up Wordsworth, Coleridge, Southey;
Because the first is crazed beyond all hope,
 The second drunk, the third so quaint and mouthey;
With Crabbe it may be difficult to cope,
 And Campbell's Hippocrene is somewhat drouthy;
Thou shalt no steal from Samuel Rogers, nor-
Commit - flirtation with the muse of Moore.


YEWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs s
Title: Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
Post by: TedStriker on December 03, 2009, 02:26:13 pm
I have not yet had to read anything longer than a short story for any college class. Next semester I am probably talking "Literature of the Cold War." We'll see how that goes.

My roommate and girlfriend are both lit people, I feel pretty outnumbered.

You're going to love Graham Greene.  You heard it here first.
Title: Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2009, 03:10:17 pm
You're going to love Graham Greene.  You heard it here first.

Maybe you'll get to read LeCarre too.  He's great.
Title: Re: Chump Change tries to double major in English for some reason
Post by: theinevitable on December 03, 2009, 03:31:04 pm
My dad has a big LeCarre collection and I read a couple of them when I was obsessed with the concept of Spies at some point. I remember thinking it was cool.
Title: Re: Chump Change tries to double major in English for some reason
Post by: Choop on December 03, 2009, 04:29:02 pm
robert ludlum?
Title: Re: Chump Change tries to double major in English for some reason
Post by: TedStriker on December 03, 2009, 04:37:08 pm
robert ludlum?

You can't have any discussion of Cold War culture w/o acknowledging the "pop" side, too.  Ludlum, Tom Clancy, and Ian Fleming would be the big names there.