Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chump Change tries to double major in English for some reason  (Read 3234 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Chump Change tries to double major in English for some reason
« on: December 02, 2009, 07:27:31 am »

Quick, how did Samuel Taylor Coleridge feel about the transportative power of human memory

did he like it
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:50:10 am by Chump Change »
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:00:23 am »

He liked it fine, but all in all, found walking more effective.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 08:16:06 am »

I don't know, man, wish I could help. I only ever read the Rime, and even then uncritically as a kid.

I was homeschooled for awhile, you see?
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 01:57:09 pm »

Quick, how did Samuel Taylor Coleridge feel about the transportative power of human memory

did he like it

He hated it.  He hated it to hell.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 05:09:22 pm »

fuck*ng Coleridge. Studying Lyrical Ballads was not my favourite educational time period. I think I hate Wordsworth because I secretly wish I could put my experiences hiking the wilds of the Lake District as well as he does, just not quite as, well, gay and egotistical.

Also, do your own wanking work, bloody students.

I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts in English
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 07:05:52 pm »

There are entire stanzas is Byron's Don Juan that he devotes just to sassing Wordsworth, Coleridge, and their friends. That was fun. I learned things.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 08:15:15 pm »

There are entire stanzas is Byron's Don Juan that he devotes just to sassing Wordsworth, Coleridge, and their friends. That was fun. I learned things.

Yeah, that's all good fun until Wordsworth pops a cap in your ass.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Chump Change

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 172
  • This is amazing!
    • View Profile
Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 12:22:20 am »

Thou shalt believe in Milton, Dryden, Pope;
 Though Shalt not set up Wordsworth, Coleridge, Southey;
Because the first is crazed beyond all hope,
 The second drunk, the third so quaint and mouthey;
With Crabbe it may be difficult to cope,
 And Campbell's Hippocrene is somewhat drouthy;
Thou shalt no steal from Samuel Rogers, nor-
Commit - flirtation with the muse of Moore.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 01:33:37 am »

I have not yet had to read anything longer than a short story for any college class. Next semester I am probably talking "Literature of the Cold War." We'll see how that goes.

My roommate and girlfriend are both lit people, I feel pretty outnumbered.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 03:32:59 am »

Thou shalt believe in Milton, Dryden, Pope;
 Though Shalt not set up Wordsworth, Coleridge, Southey;
Because the first is crazed beyond all hope,
 The second drunk, the third so quaint and mouthey;
With Crabbe it may be difficult to cope,
 And Campbell's Hippocrene is somewhat drouthy;
Thou shalt no steal from Samuel Rogers, nor-
Commit - flirtation with the muse of Moore.


YEWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs s
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 02:26:13 pm »

I have not yet had to read anything longer than a short story for any college class. Next semester I am probably talking "Literature of the Cold War." We'll see how that goes.

My roommate and girlfriend are both lit people, I feel pretty outnumbered.

You're going to love Graham Greene.  You heard it here first.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chump Change is double majoring in English for some reason
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 03:10:17 pm »

You're going to love Graham Greene.  You heard it here first.

Maybe you'll get to read LeCarre too.  He's great.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Chump Change tries to double major in English for some reason
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 03:31:04 pm »

My dad has a big LeCarre collection and I read a couple of them when I was obsessed with the concept of Spies at some point. I remember thinking it was cool.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Chump Change tries to double major in English for some reason
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 04:29:02 pm »

robert ludlum?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

TedStriker

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Chucklebot
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 45
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 164
  • Over Macho Grande
    • View Profile
    • Follow me! To Freedom!
Re: Chump Change tries to double major in English for some reason
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 04:37:08 pm »

robert ludlum?

You can't have any discussion of Cold War culture w/o acknowledging the "pop" side, too.  Ludlum, Tom Clancy, and Ian Fleming would be the big names there.
Logged
How surprising that your worldview is food-related.
Pages: [1]   Go Up