The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Drygioni on December 04, 2009, 04:40:00 am

Title: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Drygioni on December 04, 2009, 04:40:00 am
OK GO - Here It Goes Again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAAsCNK7RA)

I will be amazed if you have not seen this. The 'treadmill' one. If you have not seen it though it's a pretty good watch

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhCcBTux5f8)

Pornography, golf and kid's shows are mixed to make a pretty silly but fun video. Top tune as well

Talking Heads - Road to Nowhere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPQcnjlwtE4)

Talking Head's idiosyncrasy manifested in a pretty lovely video. If you can be bothered 'And She Was' is a pretty charming other Talking Heads promo


Fill this thread up with stuff so I can procrastinate at some point in the future
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: oball on December 04, 2009, 04:52:45 am
Röyksopp's video for Remind Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xhdy9zBEws) is one of my favourites. 

Also Whatareya? by TISM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiHdpAVIHgo) because it's just so Aussie.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Drygioni on December 04, 2009, 05:03:15 am
Röyksopp's video for Remind Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xhdy9zBEws) is one of my favourites. 

Also Whatareya? by TISM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiHdpAVIHgo) because it's just so Aussie.

Always a fan of Ruuyksopp, here's Junior Senior (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfqL7bwx9fs) whilst we're on the topic of Scandinavian synth-pop duos

That Whatareya? song is getting stuck in my head and now I won't be able to sleep
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: pmcd9 on December 04, 2009, 05:12:48 am
I must have seriously misjudged Supper Furry Animals.  I even bought one of their albums and didn't really care for it much.  But there have been some seriously great SFA songs posted here over the past few days.

Maybe I've changed.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Drygioni on December 04, 2009, 05:22:20 am
I must have seriously misjudged Supper Furry Animals.  I even bought one of their albums and didn't really care for it much.  But there have been some seriously great SFA songs posted here over the past few days.

Maybe I've changed.

I implore you to listen to this then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJCsmO7-12g&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJCsmO7-12g&feature=related)

If you don't like this track (ignore the video, it's a fan-made one and pretty dull) then maybe they're not your band but I think it's an absolutely superb song and kind of sums up their eclectic approach to things. They've done pretty much every genre at some point

Which album did you buy?
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: lprkn on December 04, 2009, 05:25:29 am
Miles Fisher - This Must Be The Place (Talking Heads cover) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G29d6RDSK1c)
A Talking Heads cover by way of an American Psycho visual homage by a Tom Cruise look-alike. Kinda catchy, too.

Birdy Nam Nam - The Parachute Ending (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_ICcz6kXP0)
Very trippy, kinda Kirby-esque animation.

Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REfDCPhPQQ4&feature=fvst)
C'mon, you know you love it.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Drygioni on December 04, 2009, 05:35:36 am
Jamiroquai - Virtual Insanity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REfDCPhPQQ4&feature=fvst)
C'mon, you know you love it.

Oh aye I do.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 04, 2009, 06:24:48 am
Junior Senior (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfqL7bwx9fs)

ive been looking for that video forever, dude!
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 04, 2009, 07:41:19 am
If you don't like this track (ignore the video, it's a fan-made one and pretty dull) then maybe they're not your band but I think it's an absolutely superb song and kind of sums up their eclectic approach to things. They've done pretty much every genre at some point

You are kind of right, but also wrong.  I mean, they have done every genre, and as a band they progressed through them up to this album or maybe Radiator, but like, Something 4 the Weekend and shit, you could like that and hate this.  Plus that song about his hamster.  Classic.  What about Guerilla and Mwng?  Those are pretty much completely different.  But yeah, they are very eclectic and are awesome at mixing genres, that is why they are fuck*ng awesome.

here is another of their videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFVejzIBL-E

also, check out the acid casuals, that is the keyboardists' band.  they are great.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Drygioni on December 04, 2009, 12:16:13 pm
You are kind of right, but also wrong.  I mean, they have done every genre, and as a band they progressed through them up to this album or maybe Radiator, but like, Something 4 the Weekend and shit, you could like that and hate this.  Plus that song about his hamster.  Classic.  What about Guerilla and Mwng?  Those are pretty much completely different.  But yeah, they are very eclectic and are awesome at mixing genres, that is why they are fuck*ng awesome.

here is another of their videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFVejzIBL-E

also, check out the acid casuals, that is the keyboardists' band.  they are great.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply the song covered all aspects of them, just that the transition from Beatle-like pop to heavy metal freakout at the end is typical of the way their albums/they themselves pan out in different and interesting fashions.

Through my own experience Respectable for the Receptacle is always the first song I show people when they're trying to get into them and everyone seems to give it good feedback and follow up their interest. Though now I am slightly more lucid I feel I could have chosen a better one, there are sooo many good ones. Probably my favourite band ever and I listen to a lot of music so the fact I can even single them out for that distinction is high praise from me indeed

Acid Casuals are also brilliant, yes
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: CortJstr on December 04, 2009, 02:15:03 pm
I have seen maybe 15 music videos in my entire life. Cool Yourself is my favorite at the moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BQsOGF8J9w
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Mr Trout on December 04, 2009, 02:35:00 pm
here's Junior Senior (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfqL7bwx9fs)

Man I love that video. In that same vein (8-bit-style pixel art) here is The Flairs with Trucker's Delight (http://www.vimeo.com/7670880) (NSFW).

edit: I should probably add a NSFW tag on that
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: rowboat on December 04, 2009, 03:13:27 pm
Man I love that video. In that same vein (8-bit-style pixel art) here is The Flairs with Trucker's Delight (http://www.vimeo.com/7670880) (NSFW).

edit: I should probably add a NSFW tag on that
It should probably go without saying that anything that would delight a trucker will be NSFW. Truckers are awful, awful people.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 04, 2009, 03:32:32 pm
It should probably go without saying that anything that would delight a trucker will be NSFW. Truckers are awful, awful people.

being a trucker is sort of like being home-schooled.  the lack of socializing on a daily basis turns one into (even more of) a friggin weirdo.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: side_show on December 04, 2009, 03:49:54 pm
 Mad World - Gary Jules (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4)

 Year of the Rat - Badly Drawn Boy  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PScUdYTO0UM) = Huuuuugs!

 All The Same - Sick Puppies  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4)  Free Hugs!  (this one makes me cry every time I watch it, it's so beautiful!)

 Spirit in the Sky - Doctor and the Medics  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX6v16jAEnc) The contrast between how scared I was of this video as a kid, and how funny I find it now is drastic.

 Where's Your Head At - Basement Jaxx  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8md51JnCNFQ)  I briefly worked at a level 4 bio lab, and I honestly imagined this sort of thing was happening somewhere in the building.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 04, 2009, 04:37:53 pm
Everyone's probably seen this already, but nonetheless, props for Daft Punk's "Around the World." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0HSD_i2DvA)
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: oball on December 04, 2009, 05:18:19 pm
Powderfinger - Sunsets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq18bUxBIao)

Blur - Coffee & TV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXRVX1AKAew&feature=fvst)

Fatboy Slim - The Joker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOVrCS9_1O4) (possibly the cutest music video ever)
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: TedStriker on December 04, 2009, 05:42:02 pm
being a trucker is sort of like being home-schooled.  the lack of socializing on a daily basis turns one into (even more of) a friggin weirdo.

I'd take offense to the latter part of this statement, but I realized I'd be protesting on a forum about cartoon cats.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 04, 2009, 06:31:45 pm
Average Homeboy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXb6bjCCtuY)
He still does performances. We've considered booking him for an alumni event, but only if he brings that ass raping sweater collection.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: wombat on December 04, 2009, 07:33:25 pm
 Plus that song about his hamster. 

Link please.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: rowboat on December 04, 2009, 07:38:38 pm
Old news, but this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uYWYWPc9HU) video still gives me chills every time I see it.

And this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoMdkyeZOqE) is one that nobody seems to like but me. Don't know what it is, but it may be my favorite ever.

On the topic of Talking Heads, the performance of "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" from Stop Making Sense is a true thing of beauty. Looks like all traces of it have been washed from the 'tube, but if you haven't already seen that film you've got bigger issues to tackle than that.

And hey, why pass up an opportunity for shameless self-promotion? This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGvkX3crHv0) is a video that my band made before we started scoring silent films exclusively. It was shot on a budget of about $20 (we were able to borrow some people and equipment which helped it look like more), but I think it turned out pretty OK.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: pmcd9 on December 04, 2009, 08:07:21 pm
Man I love that video. In that same vein (8-bit-style pixel art) here is The Flairs with Trucker's Delight (http://www.vimeo.com/7670880) (NSFW).

That's quite disturbing.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: pmcd9 on December 04, 2009, 08:21:44 pm
Spirit in the Sky - Doctor and the Medics  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX6v16jAEnc) The contrast between how scared I was of this video as a kid, and how funny I find it now is drastic.

What did you find scary about that?

Also, your sick puppies link is going to the Badly Drawn Boy.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: side_show on December 04, 2009, 08:33:51 pm
Average Homeboy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXb6bjCCtuY)
He still does performances. We've considered booking him for an alumni event, but only if he brings that ass raping sweater collection.

Good lord.  That is golden.  The pelvic thrusts are so, so, so, unnecessary. 

Reminds me of  Everyday Normal Guy - Jon La Joie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PsnxDQvQpw) only, you know... not intentionally funny, which is kind of better.  In fact, I'm pretty sure La Joie is ripping Average Homeboy's style off here (http://www.youtube.com/user/jonlajoie#p/u/14/qqXi8WmQ_WM) and here (http://www.youtube.com/user/jonlajoie#p/u/17/15S0g8pG6HU).
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: side_show on December 04, 2009, 08:42:18 pm
What did you find scary about that?

Also, your sick puppies link is going to the Badly Drawn Boy.

Fixed the link - thanks for catching that.

I found the lead singer and the dancing ladies really ominous.  Especially when the lead singer bulges his eyes out after singing"you gotta have a friend in Jesus."  I sort of thought the ladies were zombies - like they were all swishy and they would catch me and then chew up my brain.  I was eight at the time this song was popular, and going to a really narrow-minded Catholic school, and I suppose the most scary thing for me was that I didn't "get" it.  It existed in that tense catagory of things of the adult world that were incomprehensible to me, but condemned by the likes of my teachers and parents.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 05, 2009, 03:06:12 am
[Where's Your Head At - Basement Jaxx [/url]

i use a clip of this as a ringtone for my parents.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 05, 2009, 06:26:00 am
Link please.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_2JON2M1SI

pretty bad live video but all i could find.  Most classic line?  If I buy you a matchbox will you keep it all neat?  It is about getting electricity from his hamster but then he has to feed the hamster?

also, here are two sweet videos/songs.  One I found here, the other I found through that video, so sorry to whoever I am ripping off, but they are both brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMF5A2oMDeE  The Muslims- Extinction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK_WfF6hf2E    Fatlip- What's Up Fatlip?
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 05, 2009, 10:50:27 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK_WfF6hf2E    Fatlip- What's Up Fatlip?

[[high5]] for the indie rapz!  i heard that song on Tony Hawks American Wasteland, then i stole it from the internet.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 06, 2009, 01:48:38 am
I guess now is a good time to say that the thing at the bottom of your posts is mispelled.  It is kids if you want to piss OFF your parents.

Also, I wish so hard that Busdriver had another good song.  That one and Gun Control are like two of the greatest songs ever, but the rest is meh at best.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: oball on December 06, 2009, 03:24:23 am
DJ Format - 3 Feet Deep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG2LDXahaWY)
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 06, 2009, 07:42:44 am
I guess now is a good time to say that the thing at the bottom of your posts is mispelled.  It is kids if you want to piss OFF your parents.

Also, I wish so hard that Busdriver had another good song.  That one and Gun Control are like two of the greatest songs ever, but the rest is meh at best.

good lookin out and agreed.  i also dig aesop rock, but hes got less than a dozen stand-out tracks and i like less than 7 or 8 of them.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 06, 2009, 11:29:16 am
Hyphy anyone?

not the best song, but the best video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPNJjL9iznY
the best song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD_ltIXTaN8&feature=related

also, someone who liked to get stupid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzw_i4YmKk the part where he runs the stopsign at the end is so good.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: theinevitable on December 06, 2009, 07:26:53 pm
did you mean to link to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJDLRCXR2ZM&feature=related ?

the one you linked to was like, just the song, and a slideshow of hyphy-related pictures. I love that video.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: miles on December 06, 2009, 11:49:36 pm
On the topic of Talking Heads, the performance of "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" from Stop Making Sense is a true thing of beauty.

Word (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20vya_talking-heads-this-must-be-the-plac_music). Edit: Nevermind. The sound and video are totally out of sync. I also wanted to mention that just the other day I popped that DVD in just to watch this part. So good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMF5A2oMDeE  The Muslims- Extinction

I found that here, too. I bought the LP because that song is so good, but also because each jacket is shot with a .22. The rest of the album is not as good, but not bad.

I have been liking Fever Ray's videos this year. I think I like this one best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F-CpE73o2M

This one is from The Knife:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhQ5TiBHVk
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 07, 2009, 02:48:04 am
did you mean to link to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJDLRCXR2ZM&feature=related ?

the one you linked to was like, just the song, and a slideshow of hyphy-related pictures. I love that video.

Yes I did, thank you.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 07, 2009, 03:37:30 pm
DJ Format - 3 Feet Deep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG2LDXahaWY)

Pretty cool.  I like "We Know Something You Don't Know." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhZt4i92aSA)
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: oball on December 08, 2009, 02:43:51 am
Hey, so that's where that breakdancing bear .gif comes from.

In a similar vein: Sonic Animation - Theophilus Thistler (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG6s5L28Igg)

And because it was in the related videos: The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8BWBn26bX0)
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 08, 2009, 06:54:43 am
i wish hip hop was still nerdy and cool like that.  now you have to go looking pretty hard for creative shiz.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2009, 10:27:52 pm
Gimme that Christian Side Hug (http://www.heebmagazine.com/blog/view/2350)

Possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  They rough riders for Jesus.

Edited to fix link.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Mr Trout on December 12, 2009, 10:38:09 pm
I watched that video and I am having a really hard time determining whether that is satire or not.

On the one hand, I went to a Jesus camp as a kid and saw stuff at least that ridiculous. On the other hand Christian Side Hug. I mean come on.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2009, 11:00:17 pm
I watched that video and I am having a really hard time determining whether that is satire or not.

That video looks completely on the level to me.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: side_show on December 17, 2009, 10:04:45 pm
This lovely video  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiI0ydrw_QU)is a gem of the 90's Canadian alternative scene, and features the Kids in the Hall.  Also, cross dressing.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 17, 2009, 10:18:01 pm
The Odds!  Haven't thought of them in years.  I saw them at the CMJ conference in NYC in 2001.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: pmcd9 on December 17, 2009, 10:28:21 pm
I wonder how many interviews they did that were ultimately titled "Getting even with the Odds."
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 19, 2009, 06:13:39 am
This lovely video  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiI0ydrw_QU)is a gem of the 90's Canadian alternative scene, and features the Kids in the Hall.  Also, cross dressing.

i dig that tune.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: side_show on December 29, 2009, 03:44:51 am
Snapshot from the middle of Canada, circa 1996:

Sitting in a bar next to a chain-link fence dance floor/cage.  Observing and making 90'-esque cynical comments about the people I see dancing.  The guy I just started dating has shown up, and I am there with a bunch of my friends who he doesn't know.  This unfortunately means I have to spend more time with him than I would like, but at least he's buying my teenage-self hard cider-based beverages.  It is already clear that our relationship is not working out.  A Marilyn Manson song is playing and I quip to my best friend that "all those kids hate their parents"  which she drunkenly finds hilarious, and makes me repeat over an over again as no one heard it over the drone of the music.  I repeat my joke to each person in my world weary 18 year old way, one person at a time. The song changes to the aforementioned Odds tune.  My then-boyfriend tells me this is a song about how he feels right now.  I am unclear as to if this is a reference to him wanting to fuck me or me and all my friends.  Everything feels awkward and there is nothing more to say.  Needless to say, he never gets any real action of me.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: Doc on December 29, 2009, 04:46:24 am
Average homeboy is so very 80s. Poor guy.

There was a whole lot of stuff going on in that Trucker's Delight video.

That TISM clip reminded me of 'Everybody has had more sex than me' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxtVI-j-28s) which is one of my favourite videos. That is one sexually frustrated bunny.
Title: Re: Good/amusing/ridiculously shit music videos
Post by: theinevitable on December 29, 2009, 06:58:28 am
Quote
which she drunkenly finds hilarious, and makes me repeat over an over again as no one heard it over the drone of the music.

Once when I was with a guy who had a digital recorder for interviewing bands (this was a radio station related thing), I made an offhand sarcastic comment.
"oh wow, they're ending their set with a noise jam. i haven't seen a band do this all week. (at the College Music Journal "music marathon")"
He then pulled out the recorder, turned it on, set up the mic and everything, described into the mic that we were in NYC, we were seeing (whatever band), we were in this venue, it was this time of day, this was such and such guy speaking, and our music director just said: and put the mic in my face.

And then I had to pretend, and make the comment into the mic, and he seemed surprised that it didn't sound as funny out of context. so then I kept talking, explaining, oh, we have seen a lot of bands that have done this, it is not really interesting to me, some of these bands are not even bands where it makes sense for them to do this...
it was really bizarre.

and then we interviewed the Vivian Girls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqevDRhfrso), and it was awesome. I love them.