The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on December 07, 2009, 06:35:19 am
-
Would anyone be interested in watching a netflix movie together and discussing it one night over tinychat?
I did this all the time with a long distance gf and some groups, started as a class thing and ended up a good way to pass 2 hours and chill with friends distant.
I guess the best way to describe it would be a version of "want to come over and watch..." on a random night when friends otherwise available aren't around.
A couple teammates&gfs and I from school just watched Everything is Illuminated this way earlier tonight.
-
That sounds like a good idea.
-
I don't have Netflix's instant access or whatever it's called to I'd need some warning so I can get the actual disc.
-
Love this idea! Definitely in.
-
A couple teammates&gfs and I from school just watched Everything is Illuminated this way tonight.
You were capable of talking by the end of it? Such a heartbraking film, though not to say it isn't pretty much sublime. I was looking forward to seeing Eugene Hutz in a film, but never expected him to be excellent as he turned out to be.
-
yeah, I read the book and by the end I was a bloo bloo bloo bloo
my roommate, who is a big literature dude, has this thing about Jonathan Safran Foer where... apparently a lot of people heap a lot of praise on him for innovating certain things (or something?) and it is not really accurate, but he can write a story that makes you fuck*ng cry so hard. Why isn't that enough.
-
I'm totally in. I got the netflix streaming to my ps3 recently, so this would be cool.
-
im in.
I'm totally in. I got the netflix streaming to my ps3 recently, so this would be cool.
they also stream to xbox 360. that would rock pretty hard if i already owned either.
-
I don't have Netflix's instant access or whatever it's called to I'd need some warning so I can get the actual disc.
If you have any of their unlimited plans, from one-at-a-time on up, you can always watch on your PC - it's automagically added to your account.
We upgraded from a twice-a-month to an unlimited plan just for this feature. It's an extra, what, $2/mo, totally worth it.
-
If you have any of their unlimited plans, from one-at-a-time on up, you can always watch on your PC - it's automagically added to your account.
We upgraded from a twice-a-month to an unlimited plan just for this feature. It's an extra, what, $2/mo, totally worth it.
I'm a sub-account on my roommate's plan and only the main account holder has access to Instant Watch. I've never been terribly interested in it before so it didn't really bother me. But I'm getting a Series 3 Tivo for Christmas which let's you stream the IW movies to the TV so that might be enough to sign up for my own account. Right now I'm only getting 1 disc at a time which looks like it would cost $8.99/month to split off as my own plan.
-
Ah, that makes sense.
We are big fans of the instant access program, and in fact it is what allows us to do without cable TV. (The selection of kids' programming is adequate, and being nerdy people we watch a lot of documentaries and not a lot of current series.) We watched for a while on the PC before we got the Roku box, and now that we have an xbox as well we upgraded to the 2-at-a-time plan so that the kids can watch cartoons downstairs while we watch movies upstairs. It's gotten to the point where we rarely watch disks any more, even.
-
How does the Instant Access queuing even work. I remember when it was first announced it was IE-only (clearly no longer true) and each month you got 1 hour of IA per $ of your monthly bill. Is that still the case? And IA doesn't have any of the special features, right? That's another reason why I've never bothered is that I like deleted scenes and the "stuff that happened after we first released this" on documentaries (King of Kong springs to mind).
-
How does the Instant Access queuing even work. I remember when it was first announced it was IE-only (clearly no longer true) and each month you got 1 hour of IA per $ of your monthly bill. Is that still the case? And IA doesn't have any of the special features, right? That's another reason why I've never bothered is that I like deleted scenes and the "stuff that happened after we first released this" on documentaries (King of Kong springs to mind).
It is still IE-only, or maybe it works in FireFox now but I use IE for Netflix and Chrome for everything else.
Now you get unlimited instant access with any unlimited-rental plan starting at $8.99. And it's true, you don't get special features, subtitle options, or any of that good crunchy stuff you get with DVDs, but you can always order the DVD if you really want the extras.
I find that the only thing I miss is the occasional use of subtitles when the volume is really low in a particular scene. Our old TV did it for us, but our current one doesn't have that feature.
-
insta-netflix works on firefox(thats what i use). i just had to DL some sort of software(microsoft silverlight). its rad because the instant plays get thier own qway that doesnt count for your DVD qway.
ive got 430+ DVDs(my limit is 500) and 12 instant-watch.
-
I can't justify getting Netflix when our library has so many dang movies.
Last night we watched "The Apartment" and ate potato chips and drank beer. It was pretty awesome. I like that movie a lot.
-
Come on, let's turn this mother out! I have the Xbox 360 and the streaming Netflix, and I'm ready to do movie night!
-
I would do it except that I rarely watch a whole movie in one sitting. I am a stop-and-starter, due to Children, and it can take me 3 days to finish a 2-hour film.
I hope the rest of y'all get this together, though, because it sounds like heck of fun.
-
I would like to just watch you all discuss the movie and not actually watch the movie.
-
What movie is up first. ACap, this was your idea, what's it going to be?
-
What movie is up first. ACap, this was your idea, what's it going to be?
Well, how about Everything Is Illuminated? Wednesday at 7 EST ? Ill set up the chat?
I'll post a link to the tinychat at 6:30PM EST And we'll run the movie at 7EST unless there is an objection.
This is our first run.
-
does this link work for anybody
http://mibbit.com/chat/#touamb@irc.dal.net
-
Worked for me, thanks. I'm not going to be able to participate tonight, but this is a really great idea. It may get me to subscribe to Netflix.
-
Does it have to be Netflix? Couldn't I just go to the video store and rent the DVD?
'Course it doesn't really matter because I have to work tonight, but I thought I'd ask...
-
I'm with Wombles, I want to read the transcript when you're done.
TOUAMB Science Theater 2009.
-
Well, how about Everything Is Illuminated? Wednesday at 7 EST ? Ill set up the chat?
I'll post a link to the tinychat at 6:30PM EST And we'll run the movie at 7EST unless there is an objection.
This is our first run.
im still game for this, but i have class tonight. i wont be able to thrill you with my cunning wit.
-
okay guess its a bad night for this
-
Well, how about Everything Is Illuminated? Wednesday at 7 EST ? Ill set up the chat?
I'll post a link to the tinychat at 6:30PM EST And we'll run the movie at 7EST unless there is an objection.
This is our first run.
You meant next Wednesday, right? Not tonight?
-
I just got in. I guess it's too late.