Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Netflix Touamb Weeknight  (Read 6419 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:35:19 am »

Would anyone be interested in watching a netflix movie together and discussing it one night over tinychat?
I did this all the time with a long distance gf and some groups, started as a class thing and ended up a good way to pass 2 hours and chill with friends distant.
I guess the best way to describe it would be a version of "want to come over and watch..." on a random night when friends otherwise available aren't around.
A couple teammates&gfs and I from school just watched Everything is Illuminated this way earlier tonight.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 12:27:47 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:54:52 am »

That sounds like a good idea.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 02:07:53 pm »

I don't have Netflix's instant access or whatever it's called to I'd need some warning so I can get the actual disc.
Logged

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 02:24:51 pm »

Love this idea!  Definitely in.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 03:54:47 pm »

A couple teammates&gfs and I from school just watched Everything is Illuminated this way tonight.

You were capable of talking by the end of it? Such a heartbraking film, though not to say it isn't pretty much sublime. I was looking forward to seeing Eugene Hutz in a film, but never expected him to be excellent as he turned out to be.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 03:57:08 pm »

yeah, I read the book and by the end I was a bloo bloo bloo bloo


my roommate, who is a big literature dude, has this thing about Jonathan Safran Foer where... apparently a lot of people heap a lot of praise on him for innovating certain things (or something?) and it is not really accurate, but he can write a story that makes you fuck*ng cry so hard. Why isn't that enough.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:41:27 pm »

I'm totally in. I got the netflix streaming to my ps3 recently, so this would be cool.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 11:00:48 pm »

im in.

I'm totally in. I got the netflix streaming to my ps3 recently, so this would be cool.

they also stream to xbox 360.  that would rock pretty hard if i already owned either.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 06:41:52 pm »

I don't have Netflix's instant access or whatever it's called to I'd need some warning so I can get the actual disc.

If you have any of their unlimited plans, from one-at-a-time on up, you can always watch on your PC - it's automagically added to your account.

We upgraded from a twice-a-month to an unlimited plan just for this feature. It's an extra, what, $2/mo, totally worth it.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 06:53:33 pm »

If you have any of their unlimited plans, from one-at-a-time on up, you can always watch on your PC - it's automagically added to your account.

We upgraded from a twice-a-month to an unlimited plan just for this feature. It's an extra, what, $2/mo, totally worth it.

I'm a sub-account on my roommate's plan and only the main account holder has access to Instant Watch. I've never been terribly interested in it before so it didn't really bother me. But I'm getting a Series 3 Tivo for Christmas which let's you stream the IW movies to the TV so that might be enough to sign up for my own account. Right now I'm only getting 1 disc at a time which looks like it would cost $8.99/month to split off as my own plan.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 07:05:51 pm »

Ah, that makes sense.

We are big fans of the instant access program, and in fact it is what allows us to do without cable TV. (The selection of kids' programming is adequate, and being nerdy people we watch a lot of documentaries and not a lot of current series.) We watched for a while on the PC before we got the Roku box, and now that we have an xbox as well we upgraded to the 2-at-a-time plan so that the kids can watch cartoons downstairs while we watch movies upstairs. It's gotten to the point where we rarely watch disks any more, even.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 07:23:29 pm »

How does the Instant Access queuing even work. I remember when it was first announced it was IE-only (clearly no longer true) and each month you got 1 hour of IA per $ of your monthly bill. Is that still the case? And IA doesn't have any of the special features, right? That's another reason why I've never bothered is that I like deleted scenes and the "stuff that happened after we first released this" on documentaries (King of Kong springs to mind).
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 07:35:59 pm »

How does the Instant Access queuing even work. I remember when it was first announced it was IE-only (clearly no longer true) and each month you got 1 hour of IA per $ of your monthly bill. Is that still the case? And IA doesn't have any of the special features, right? That's another reason why I've never bothered is that I like deleted scenes and the "stuff that happened after we first released this" on documentaries (King of Kong springs to mind).

It is still IE-only, or maybe it works in FireFox now but I use IE for Netflix and Chrome for everything else.

Now you get unlimited instant access with any unlimited-rental plan starting at $8.99. And it's true, you don't get special features, subtitle options, or any of that good crunchy stuff you get with DVDs, but you can always order the DVD if you really want the extras.

I find that the only thing I miss is the occasional use of subtitles when the volume is really low in a particular scene. Our old TV did it for us, but our current one doesn't have that feature.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 08:37:23 pm »

insta-netflix works on firefox(thats what i use).  i just had to DL some sort of software(microsoft silverlight).  its rad because the instant plays get thier own qway that doesnt count for your DVD qway.

ive got 430+ DVDs(my limit is 500) and 12 instant-watch.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Netflix Touamb Weeknight
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 12:41:50 am »

I can't justify getting Netflix when our library has so many dang movies.

Last night we watched "The Apartment" and ate potato chips and drank beer. It was pretty awesome. I like that movie a lot.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up