The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on January 07, 2010, 10:20:33 am

Title: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 07, 2010, 10:20:33 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01072010 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01072010)

To be honest, I got no idea with this one.

I have not and am not paying money to see AVATAR as anytime anyone says "oh, the characters and the plot and the writing aren't the POINT, it's a SPECTACLE" about a film, a little box is checked off in my head that says "no, not for this guy, sorry" so... I mean... maybe it's funnier if you have seen the film?

I kind of hope there's more to this other than a stale gay panic joke, I dunno what it would be, though.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: dejavroom on January 07, 2010, 10:36:39 am
You're right. There's nothing there but the 3D thing, and the 3D thing gets old in 15 minutes. Then you have to endure 2 hours of drool-drippingly tacky shit. Strip's ok, though?
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Doc on January 07, 2010, 10:41:18 am
For me the gag isn't Roast Beef, it's how Teodore is so into his artistic re-enactment that he's completely oblivious to how uncomfortable Beef is.

Specifically, the punchline is 'Laaaaaa'.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2010, 01:21:22 pm
I haven't seen the movie (and won't) but this made me giggle. Poor Beef, and you don't have to know much about the movie to know that he is right, T really had an awful lot of other choices, what is his problem?
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 07, 2010, 02:07:36 pm
oh dear lord.  I saw Avatar about a week ago, and yes the big blue alien sex scene was a head-scratcher.  Pretty much the LAST part of that movie I wanted to see re-enacted on Roombas.  Beef, I feel your pain.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: TedStriker on January 07, 2010, 02:22:49 pm
I was going to complain about another "current events" strip, but then I saw the B.O. gross for Avatar.  I'm gonna have to deal with little blue trick-or-treaters from now until I'm 50, aren't I?
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: wombat on January 07, 2010, 02:33:50 pm
Will there be Avatar/Smurfs fanfic, do you think?
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Toaster on January 07, 2010, 10:33:10 pm
The flower is supposed to stand in for the sacred tree. And during the Na'vi mating process, they touch head tentacles and communicate psychically, and they call it "two becoming one" or something cliched like that. So the fact that Beef has gotten off of his Roomba and is on Teodor's stands for that. Basically they're fuck*ng in front of a tree because the tree belongs to a goddess.

Also, Papyrus.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2010, 10:53:14 pm
Me too and I was actually thinking of seeing this movie.  I may need to rethink this.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: oball on January 08, 2010, 12:45:15 am
I wasn't a fan.  If you spend $500 million on a movie, I shouldn't be sitting there in the middle of it looking at my watch bored out of my skull.

Also, for all the hype about the 3-D and special effects, the best looking shot of the film was a chest-level shot of a sweaty Michelle Rodriguez running in a tight shirt, which probably could have been done for a lot cheaper.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Doc on January 08, 2010, 08:19:18 am
Yeah, it looked wonderful and it's a great technical achievement but you know exactly what the story is already. My favourite comparison so far has been Fern Gully. There are some quality action sequences by the end though.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Choop on January 08, 2010, 03:53:46 pm
monomyth
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 08, 2010, 06:30:01 pm
the best looking shot of the film was a chest-level shot of a sweaty Michelle Rodriguez running in a tight shirt

It took me a minute to realize that Michelle Rodriguez was a real actor, not a CGI re-creation.  In a movie full of computer-generated ten-foot-tall blue aliens with cat faces and fiber-optic ponytails, she somehow managed to be the least human character.

I wanted to resist this movie, like I managed to resist Titanic.  "OMG IT WAS EXPENSIVE TO MAKE" doesn't motivate me to see a film.  But I went because the lure of a 3D movie was more appealing than an afternoon at home in the snow (I'd had seven straight days off due to holidays, mind) so I went for it.  For most of the movie, I didn't care about the actors or where we were in the plot: I was more interested in the quality of the animation.  I'm glad James Cameron was such a douche about detail because it may result in more/better access to digital fx and physics models in other applications.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Dangermoose on January 08, 2010, 06:56:28 pm
The more I learn about Avatar, the more I fear that people in a lab somewhere are dedicated to creating exactly what I never want to see.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2010, 06:57:29 pm
Apparently, I'm going to see this movie in 3-D this weekend.

The Spouse has decreed it.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 08, 2010, 07:04:16 pm
AVATR     50,000     short     H$204.07     H$395.55  9,574,000.00     (-93.83%)
In my worst imaginary investment decision ever, I short sold Avatar's stock on HSX.com. I lost over 9 and a half million imaginary dollars.
"Theres too much hype" I said, "this movie cost too much to make" I said.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Choop on January 08, 2010, 07:53:52 pm
i'm going to see it again in an hour, this time with the missus in tow.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Doc on January 09, 2010, 03:19:07 am
AVATR     50,000     short     H$204.07     H$395.55  9,574,000.00     (-93.83%)
In my worst imaginary investment decision ever, I short sold Avatar's stock on HSX.com. I lost over 9 and a half million imaginary dollars.
"Theres too much hype" I said, "this movie cost too much to make" I said.
Whatever else you want to say Jame Cameron hasn't made a flop in a while, he makes very marketable movies.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: jay-ell on January 11, 2010, 01:53:01 am

Fern Gully

This, with a side of Braveheart.

At least FernGully had Tone Loc.

I did enjoy it, but in the sense of "this is a story that is fun to play along with." Certainly not in the "this will change the way I think about film" kind of way.

For those who have seen it:

Unobtanium? Really? I laughed my ass off every time I heard that word. So. Ridiculous.

Also, Giovanni Ribisi is and always will be the kid from My Two Dads. He was good in this role, though.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: CortJstr on January 11, 2010, 02:16:10 am
JL, I haven't seen it but the first thing you mocked wasn't actually invented by the movie. It's a thing.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Toaster on January 11, 2010, 03:40:07 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Unobtainium
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: miles on January 11, 2010, 04:24:38 am
This, with a side of Braveheart.

And garnished with Dances with Wolves, no?
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Dangermoose on January 11, 2010, 06:10:58 am
"Had Tone Loc" is the criterion on which Avatar fails.  He was certainly available.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: oball on January 11, 2010, 02:07:47 pm
(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/oball/4198365024_2f6e8ff379.jpg)

"This is why we're here; because this funky cold medina sells for twenty million a kilo."
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: jay-ell on January 11, 2010, 06:31:24 pm
OK, so what if unobatinum actually exists in the real world. It's still a ridiculous thing to call a rare mineral. It just sounds so...fakey.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: lprkn on January 12, 2010, 03:11:32 am
I accept the unobtanium thing, but Pandora? That's just lazy writing.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Doc on January 12, 2010, 07:52:54 am
That whole movie was pretty lazy writing. I kind of loved the colonel though, that scene where he walks out into the hanger and empties both his guns at the escaping chopper and then turns around to put on an oxygen mask was pretty bad ass.
Title: Avatar makes you want to kill yourself.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 12, 2010, 07:02:47 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

(CNN) -- James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.
...
"When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed ... gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning," Hill wrote on the forum. "It just seems so ... meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep ... doing things at all. I live in a dying world."
Title: Re: Avatar makes you want to kill yourself.
Post by: AugustWest on January 12, 2010, 07:05:28 pm
The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.


Sounds like Philippe is standing on it.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 12, 2010, 07:12:28 pm
Baghdassarian is standing on it.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: jaydub on January 12, 2010, 07:12:37 pm
Its called, buy another ticket, sadboy.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Chump Change on January 12, 2010, 08:18:12 pm
yeah, I felt the same way after watching Hudson Hawk
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: jaydub on January 12, 2010, 08:21:35 pm
Because you totally wanted to nail a nun?
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Chump Change on January 12, 2010, 08:44:08 pm
Shipping crate fetish.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Toaster on January 12, 2010, 09:03:08 pm
So, yeah, there's this. But there have also been scores of articles published over the past hundred years or so about scientists and inventors and business and cultural leaders who were inspired by science fiction to make the world a better place. The only thing separating them from these guys is gumption.

This only confirms my philosophy that every great benefiial change was preceeded by some dude being pissed off enough to do something constructive.

Quote from: caveman
Fuck you! I'm building a boat and sailing across this fuck*ng river to start my own damn tribe!

Quote from: Rene Descartes
Fuck this shit! I want to know the rate of change of a function at any point. Any point, motherfuckers!

Quote from: quantum computer people
Fuck you, Thomas Moore! Fuck you and your God-damned projections.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Chump Change on January 12, 2010, 09:22:05 pm
(http://i48.tinypic.com/300h25v.png)

(http://i50.tinypic.com/maj921.png)

(http://i45.tinypic.com/20gmc01.png)

(http://i49.tinypic.com/15mjslu.png)
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 12, 2010, 10:02:27 pm
(http://i48.tinypic.com/300h25v.png)

(http://i50.tinypic.com/maj921.png)

(http://i45.tinypic.com/20gmc01.png)

(http://i49.tinypic.com/15mjslu.png)

Do you have a boner now
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Chump Change on January 13, 2010, 12:16:45 am
Not anymore!  ;D
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Choop on January 13, 2010, 12:50:21 am
tmi
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 13, 2010, 12:58:37 am
those people are looking for an excuse to eat a bullet with thier head, anyway.....
Title: Re: Avatar makes you want to kill yourself.
Post by: oball on January 13, 2010, 01:20:22 am
they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film

I had these feelings too, but mainly because I'd just spent 15 bucks and two-and-a-half hours of my life to watch fuck*ng Ferngully in 3D.
Title: Re: Avatar makes you want to kill yourself.
Post by: dejavroom on January 13, 2010, 10:00:12 am
On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.
...
"When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed ... gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning," Hill wrote on the forum. "It just seems so ... meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep ... doing things at all. I live in a dying world."

trailer guy voice:
"In a land of wuss-asses..."
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 13, 2010, 11:46:50 pm
As opposed to "Ferngully in 3D", I'm now going with the sarcastic title "Dances with Smurfs".

Just me, though.
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Choop on January 13, 2010, 11:47:43 pm
Battlefield Smurf
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Chump Change on January 14, 2010, 02:52:15 am
nah, if you go with Dances with Smurfs people will just think you're referencing South Park
Title: Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
Post by: Dangermoose on January 14, 2010, 04:22:48 pm
Battlefield Smurf

Yes.  This took me longer than it should have to connect, but YES.