Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"  (Read 8177 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 07:04:16 pm »

AVATR     50,000     short     H$204.07     H$395.55  9,574,000.00     (-93.83%)
In my worst imaginary investment decision ever, I short sold Avatar's stock on HSX.com. I lost over 9 and a half million imaginary dollars.
"Theres too much hype" I said, "this movie cost too much to make" I said.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 07:53:52 pm »

i'm going to see it again in an hour, this time with the missus in tow.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 03:19:07 am »

AVATR     50,000     short     H$204.07     H$395.55  9,574,000.00     (-93.83%)
In my worst imaginary investment decision ever, I short sold Avatar's stock on HSX.com. I lost over 9 and a half million imaginary dollars.
"Theres too much hype" I said, "this movie cost too much to make" I said.
Whatever else you want to say Jame Cameron hasn't made a flop in a while, he makes very marketable movies.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 01:53:01 am »


Fern Gully

This, with a side of Braveheart.

At least FernGully had Tone Loc.

I did enjoy it, but in the sense of "this is a story that is fun to play along with." Certainly not in the "this will change the way I think about film" kind of way.

For those who have seen it:

Unobtanium? Really? I laughed my ass off every time I heard that word. So. Ridiculous.

Also, Giovanni Ribisi is and always will be the kid from My Two Dads. He was good in this role, though.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 02:16:10 am »

JL, I haven't seen it but the first thing you mocked wasn't actually invented by the movie. It's a thing.
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 04:24:38 am »

This, with a side of Braveheart.

And garnished with Dances with Wolves, no?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 06:10:58 am »

"Had Tone Loc" is the criterion on which Avatar fails.  He was certainly available.
Logged

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 02:07:47 pm »



"This is why we're here; because this funky cold medina sells for twenty million a kilo."
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 06:31:24 pm »

OK, so what if unobatinum actually exists in the real world. It's still a ridiculous thing to call a rare mineral. It just sounds so...fakey.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 03:11:32 am »

I accept the unobtanium thing, but Pandora? That's just lazy writing.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 07:52:54 am »

That whole movie was pretty lazy writing. I kind of loved the colonel though, that scene where he walks out into the hanger and empties both his guns at the escaping chopper and then turns around to put on an oxygen mask was pretty bad ass.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Avatar makes you want to kill yourself.
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 07:02:47 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

(CNN) -- James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.
...
"When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed ... gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning," Hill wrote on the forum. "It just seems so ... meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep ... doing things at all. I live in a dying world."
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Avatar makes you want to kill yourself.
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 07:05:28 pm »

The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.


Sounds like Philippe is standing on it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: January 7, 2010 - "mated before Eywa"
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 07:12:28 pm »

Baghdassarian is standing on it.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up