The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on January 08, 2010, 11:36:57 am

Title: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 08, 2010, 11:36:57 am
I bet if he had pasteurized Bulgarian boy-milt, even in January, he'd have no problems. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01082010)
Title: Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: Doc on January 08, 2010, 11:40:08 am
Quote
I hate you in the only way that helps me understand you.

I've got a new favourite quote ever. Sweet.
Title: Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 08, 2010, 03:15:23 pm
For a Fuck You Friday, this strip was remarkably devoid of Fuck Yous.
Title: Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: Toaster on January 08, 2010, 03:33:20 pm
Holy shit this is good. I officially don't care what other people think about Molly anymore, I'm gonna say flat-out that I think she is awesome.

So many good words.
"Catholic Strategy Gus"
"correctly aknowledging the presence of a registered service animal"
"fully septic maniac"
"I hate you in the only way that helps me understand you."
"dead in the middle"

I don't know what Catholic Strategy Gus means. Perhaps it refers to the Catholic rule against contraceptives? They have that rule, right?

I am gonna be thinking about that last panel for days, too. It's hella deep.
Title: Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: TedStriker on January 08, 2010, 04:11:34 pm
I think the Catholic Strategy, with its implied sorta-deception, is not unlike what we Down South encounter around Baptists re: alcohol.  The old joke goes that you always take two Baptists giraffeing with you, because if you take one, he'll drink all your beer.  The punchline (that the mutual social pressure will prevent either from drinking) works the same way as the Catholic Strategy.  If another Catholic (in this case, the spouse) knows you're at the titty bar helping put a single mom through college, then you're less likely to go.

Or is "Catholic Strategy Gus" an invective, referring to the compulsive need to tell (confess?) everything to one's spouse?

As a Presbyterian, I'm pretty sure that I'm thinking about this way too much.  I'm gonna go have a drink.
Title: Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: AugustWest on January 08, 2010, 04:17:39 pm
I took the "Catholic Strategy" to mean the idea that you can commit any sin you want and still get absolution so long as you contritely confess.  A sort of "It's better to seek forgiveness than permission" kind of thing.
Title: Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: Toaster on January 08, 2010, 04:35:05 pm
Hmm. All good theories. Whatever it means, "The Catholic Strategy" would make a great band name.
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2010, 04:54:49 pm
I like Molly. I am also married to a man who sometimes finds it difficult to Like things, even when they are Nice.

It's got nothing to do with her hectoring him into going someplace and everything to do with him carping about each detail because deep down inside he truly believes that he does not deserve to be happy. When a man is chronically unhappy, his wife feels like she's failing him, and when he repeatedly chooses unhappiness, it can make a wife angry. She thinks, "Why won't he let me succeed at the only thing that matters?"

Or so I hear.
Title: Re: 20100108 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: side_show on January 08, 2010, 05:11:30 pm
For a Fuck You Friday, this strip was remarkably devoid of Fuck Yous.

As a lady, I can tell you it is all about the fuck you's .  Molly is saying it with her mind.  Look at her eyes those panels, and you will see.  These are skillfully drawn "fuck you" eyes.
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2010, 05:15:33 pm
How do you know that he didn't choose the place in an attempt to make her happy, and now is ruining it by badmouthing everything?

I'm not saying, necessarily, that that happened, I'm just saying you can't assume either way.
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: side_show on January 08, 2010, 05:46:30 pm
Beef has depression.  Nothing makes him happy.  This equals "fuck  you" for Molly.

As a fun side note:   "Fuck you" eyes and "Fuck me" eyes are totally different things. 
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2010, 06:35:01 pm
Sure I can, in the context of the strip. History suggests that this is a Molly push.

Heck, Beef has had enough trouble cooking up his own roasted chicken with ding-dong.

Sure, if you're already biased against Molly it looks that way. But I don't think we have enough information either way to assume that she dragged him out to some fancy restaurant against his will.

I was looking through the archives just now and while I can't find any evidence of a time when Molly has forced Beef into doing something he really does not want to do. However, I did sort of rediscover what I like about the Molly-Beef dynamic, something I think 'Stad does really well, which is to invent marital arguments in which both partners have valid complaints and there is no clear solution. It's a lot like life, in that rarely is someone completely wrong or completely right, and when it comes right down to it, all we have to work with is the sum total of our shared insecurities (http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua4zg6ZN).
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: jaydub on January 08, 2010, 07:22:42 pm
It's a lot like life, in that rarely is someone completely wrong or completely right, and when it comes right down to it, all we have to work with is the sum total of our shared insecurities (http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua4zg6ZN).
oball's sig's source!
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2010, 07:24:08 pm
Thanks you. The phrase I'm thinking is "preponderance of evidence".

But I'll agree with you on the second half of your second paragraph. Like life, Achewood is often 256 shades of grey instead of easy peasy black/white, and that is a thing that makes it gooderer.

And bringing it back home, I am laying a black/white label on Molly sooooo...

Awww, you're not rolling over *that* easy, are you? Things were just starting to get good!
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: side_show on January 08, 2010, 07:27:42 pm
Ash, I am looking at you with my "fuck you" eyes.
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: jay-ell on January 08, 2010, 07:37:41 pm
I only poke my friends so hard. Now take off your shoes, get in the kitchen and make me a hat.

(and Molly is a bitch on wheels)

Why am I making you a hat in the kitchen?
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2010, 07:49:15 pm
As a fun side note:   "Fuck you" eyes and "Fuck me" eyes are totally different things. 

I prefer the latter.
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: Toaster on January 08, 2010, 10:05:24 pm
It seems the Molly/Beef relationship is a Rorschach test of sorts, by which we can gauge our fellows' inner workings, their hearts and minds projected as shadows on a cave wall.

I suppose I like Molly because I am Beef. And Beefs need Mollys.
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 08, 2010, 10:24:25 pm
It seems the Molly/Beef relationship is a Rorschach test of sorts, by which we can gauge our fellows' inner workings, their hearts and minds projected as shadows on a cave wall.

I suppose I like Molly because I am Beef. And Beefs need Mollys.

The plural of beef is beeves. No, really.
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 08, 2010, 10:29:01 pm
The plural of beef is beeves. No, really.

i thought that was just someone being ignorant.... wow.
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 08, 2010, 10:45:32 pm
How Puerto Rican of you. (This is my new catchphrase.)

By logical extension, a woman can have many queeves.
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: Toaster on January 08, 2010, 10:46:50 pm
The plural of beef is beeves. No, really.
i thought that was just someone being ignorant.... wow.

Quote from: Lemmy Gulliver
In the midst of these consultations, several officers of the army went to the door of the great council-chamber, and two of them being admitted, gave an account of my behaviour to the six criminals above-mentioned; which made so favourable an impression in the breast of his majesty and the whole board, in my behalf, that an imperial commission was issued out, obliging all the villages, nine hundred yards round the city, to deliver in every morning six beeves, forty sheep, and other victuals for my sustenance; together with a proportionable quantity of bread, and wine, and other liquors; for the due payment of which, his majesty gave assignments upon his treasury:--for this prince lives chiefly upon his own demesnes; seldom, except upon great occasions, raising any subsidies upon his subjects, who are bound to attend him in his wars at their own expense.

Education.
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: jaydub on January 08, 2010, 11:21:17 pm
Quote from: Lemmy Gulliver
In the midst of these consultations, several officers of the army went to the door of the great council-chamber, and two of them being admitted, gave an account of my behaviour to the six criminals above-mentioned; which made so favourable an impression in the breast of his majesty and the whole board, in my behalf, that an imperial commission was issued out, obliging all the villages, nine hundred yards round the city, to deliver in every morning six beeves, forty sheep, and other victuals for my sustenance; together with a proportionable quantity of bread, and wine, and other liquors; for the due payment of which, his majesty gave assignments upon his treasury:--for this prince lives chiefly upon his own demesnes; seldom, except upon great occasions, raising any subsidies upon his subjects, who are bound to attend him in his wars at their own expense.
It is a (little known) fact that the correct pronunciation of this word is "vittles"

/Clavin
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: Dangermoose on January 08, 2010, 11:43:41 pm
By logical extension, a woman can have many queeves.

Not right.

{One could even be Queen of the Queeves.}

Just not right.
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 09, 2010, 12:33:11 am
It seems the Molly/Beef relationship is a Rorschach test of sorts, by which we can gauge our fellows' inner workings, their hearts and minds projected as shadows on a cave wall.

I suppose I like Molly because I am Beef. And Beefs need Mollys.

I am very Molly.

Does anyone think that Onstad and his wife have a Beef and Molly relationship?
Title: Re: 2010-01-08 - Reverse Toilet Cobra
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 09, 2010, 01:41:36 am
By logical extension, a woman can have many queeves.

wouldnt that just depend upon how much air gets trapped up ins?