The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: side_show on January 15, 2010, 10:40:18 pm

Title: 100 Things
Post by: side_show on January 15, 2010, 10:40:18 pm
One of my dearest friends is getting rid of all but 100 things, (http://obsrvationalist.blogspot.com/) then moving out of province.  He is a week away from his goal.
 
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 16, 2010, 12:28:41 am
Wow, this really resonates with me.  I live somewhere on the continuum between 'packrat' and 'hoarder.'  With separating from my husband, yesterday and today have been a chaotic flurry of fast-decision packing and purging.  I have, with the help of three other people, cleared two rooms in the past two days.  I bought 20 "book" boxes (12" x 12" x 12"), and 20 "medium" boxes (18" x 20"x 24"), and halfway through today's purge I had to buy 10 more of each.  The good news is nearly half of those boxes are now set aside for my sister's and my bi-annual garage sale fundraiser for the Leukemia Society.  I'm still moving far more than I should (ugh, 14 boxes are packed full of books that I'm moving) but I've now seen the horror of thousands of dollars of CRAP, much still unopened or used only once, and 20 years of not bearing to part with old papers, photos, etc., condensed down to 60 boxes, 16 kitchen garbage bags full of trash, and 18 cubic feet of recycled cardboard.  Good lord.  (Also, I am extremely tired and sore.)
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: jay-ell on January 16, 2010, 01:09:42 am
When we moved from a 1500 square foot house (with a 10x10 storage shed) as a family of three into an 1100 square-foot apartment and became a family of four, we chucked a bunch of junk. What makes it easier for me is remembering that if I'm storing/hoarding/pack-ratting it away, it's not doing anybody any good. If I give it away, somebody somewhere may find benefit from it. Especially since the main reason I save a thing I don't need is because "it's still good."

Stuff I'll never use again: 19" TV/DVD combo? Still good. VCR? Still good. Toys both my kids have outgrown? Still good. Clothes that are too big now that I've lost 15 lbs? Still good. So by keeping it in my attic, I'm being selgiraffe and wasteful -- two qualities I despise in myself even more than I hate throwing "good" things away.

These are the mind games I play with myself.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: wombat on January 16, 2010, 01:34:56 am
We have been living in the same house for enough years that we have a lot of junk, but I find that in the rare case when I do throw something out, I end up needing it later. It's like the universe is punishing me, it wants me to keep stuff.

Anyway it's not like we are actually tripping over piles of junk so I can't really find a downside to saving stuff just in case. Even, once some firemen came around doing some kind of community fire safety program and I asked them if it was dangerous to have the attic full of cardboard boxes that the Technical Staff had saved in case we ever move, like would they make it worse if there was a fire, and they seemed to think this was a weird question.

I do have a strict rule that when a magazine or newspaper arrives, we have to throw out the last issue whether we're done with it or not. I worry about that slippery slope to hoarding piles of newspapers so you can't even walk around the house I guess.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: jay-ell on January 16, 2010, 03:02:06 am
I do have a strict rule that when a magazine or newspaper arrives, we have to throw out the last issue whether we're done with it or not. I worry about that slippery slope to hoarding piles of newspapers so you can't even walk around the house I guess.

I have a three-month rule with back issues of most magazines, but I make exceptions for ones that make sense to keep and reference again, like Bon Appetit and Interweave Knits, which or course have recipes and knitting patterns that I may use years after the rag's initial appearance in my home. I've considered chucking the Bon Appetits -- I have 5 years' worth -- since most of those recipes are available online, but honestly I prefer the magazines because I like to look at the pictures. 
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 16, 2010, 03:12:46 am
I have a three-month rule with back issues of most magazines, but I make exceptions for ones that make sense to keep and reference again, like Bon Appetit and Interweave Knits, which or course have recipes and knitting patterns that I may use years after the rag's initial appearance in my home. I've considered chucking the Bon Appetits -- I have 5 years' worth -- since most of those recipes are available online, but honestly I prefer the magazines because I like to look at the pictures. 

Me too.  Mental Floss, Discover, Guitar World, Car and Driver, Entrepreneur, and Popular Science out after reading; Bead Style stays 'cause I might eventually make some earrings.  You almost have to keep Bon Appetit; now that it's defunct, isn't it an instant collectible?
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: wombat on January 16, 2010, 03:14:10 am
Sounds more useful than my collection of a decade of Pug Talk, for sure.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: Choop on January 16, 2010, 03:21:34 am
we only get esquire and cook's illustrated. the former get tossed after six months, the latter have a bookshelf. and will have another.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 16, 2010, 03:26:19 am
we only get esquire and cook's illustrated. the former get tossed after six months, the latter have a bookshelf. and will have another.

Ohhh, I miss Esquire.  I may have to re-subscribe.  I'm not much into the sartorial spreads, but love the articles, sex advice, recipes and gadget discussions.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: Choop on January 16, 2010, 03:28:15 am
also back on topic, i've moved states four times in the last ten years, and each time we've given away everything we didn't love. and sometimes, things we did.

so why do i have all this clutter
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 16, 2010, 03:32:29 am
Esquire, GQ, and Wired get tossed after reading. The Economist tends to stay around longer as I have friends who always read whatever issues are on the table.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 16, 2010, 03:41:48 am
I have never even considered subscribing to a magazine (internet ftw) , though I often get the free local papers and onion.  I usually get a new one after I have read the old one all the way through during bathroom stays.  This can take a while.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: linnea on January 16, 2010, 03:42:40 am
I have always hated too much stuff and clutter. Everything I own (except my bed, dresser, desk, and couch) fits into my vehicle. Travel light, move fast.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: AugustWest on January 16, 2010, 03:47:06 am
I'm a pretty bad packrat, but I'm working on it.   I cleaned out my closet one week ago and got a huge pile of clothes for the Goodwill.  I love being able to actually walk into my closet now.

For some reason, I keep New Yorkers.  I don't keep any other magazines.  That's pretty stupid, isn't it?
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: miles on January 16, 2010, 03:55:00 am
For some reason, I keep New Yorkers.  I don't keep any other magazines.  That's pretty stupid, isn't it?

Oh no, it just means that you're classy.

I like the idea of being able to just leave, like go anywhere and start over, on a whim. In fact I love that idea. But it ain't me. Too many books, CDs and records. DVDs now too. It seems I've mentioned this in another thread. I'm better about it now, but I still have a lot of shit. Sometimes though I get so fuck*ng sick of my job and trying to figure out what else I could do with my life that I want to sell everything I own and just start over, but, you know.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 16, 2010, 05:02:39 am
i have like eleventy national geographics that i need to read and take pictures out of( i use them for art/craft stuff(cards and collages)) so i can throw them out.  i used to get: spin, blender, revolver, and alternative press.

Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: miles on January 16, 2010, 05:19:36 am
I have never even considered subscribing to a magazine (internet ftw)

Totally. I used to subscribe to New York soon after David Edelstein started writing for them, but after a while I realized I can just read his articles online and dropped it. I don't think I've ever made it through an entire magazine, ever, so it would be ridiculous for me to have a subscription. I used to pick up copies of Mojo and other music magazines and have some of those copies stashed somewhere, but who has time between television and online porn for that shit anymore?

i have like eleventy national geographics that i need to read and take pictures out of( i use them for art/craft stuff(cards and collages)) so i can throw them out.

I've had subscriptions for that one before, usually as gifts, and never read the issues, but yeah, they are good for crafty stuff.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 16, 2010, 05:27:13 am
Oh man, I have this amazing mojo with the best drug songs of all time.  The bonus cd that came with is so good.

I also have a Smiths and Lou Reed mojo.  For like 5 years there was a picture of Dylan standing outside a place in England that used the acronym LSD that I cut out of the drug song mojo.  (on my wall, I forgot to say on my wall)

That is a good magazine is what I am saying.

Here is a good track from the bonus drug disc ("Feed Your Head"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30xBn2OkXyk
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: miles on January 16, 2010, 05:33:10 am
Dude, I have the drugs one too. The CD looks like a pill, right? It's around here somewhere. And I think I have the Smiths issue. I may have to dig those out tonight.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 16, 2010, 06:00:30 am
That's the one.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: CortJstr on January 16, 2010, 06:08:10 am
The only magazine I ever subscribed to was Men's Health. It taught me one invaluable tip: when removing your ##### in front of a lady make sure to hook your thumbs through your socks. That way your socks come off with your #####. Because a man who is naked except for socks is not sexy.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 16, 2010, 07:01:14 am
The only magazine I ever subscribed to was Men's Health. It taught me one invaluable tip: when removing your ##### in front of a lady make sure to hook your thumbs through your socks. That way your socks come off with your #####. Because a man who is naked except for socks is not sexy.

chill out yo, you already have a season pass.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: theinevitable on January 16, 2010, 07:24:12 am
I had read this somewhere, and mentioned it, and my girlfriend always yells WATCH OUT! and points to my socks if I am in danger of making that mistake.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: CortJstr on January 16, 2010, 11:16:43 pm
My most recent lady friend decided this was a really excellent idea and that it should be taught to all men. Probably at the same time you learn to shave.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: side_show on January 17, 2010, 05:10:20 am
I met with my friend tonight, and told him when reading his blog I did briefly get angry at him.  Socks and undies are consumables - just like shampoo and such, I think these things should not count toward his 100 things.  This is not to say I think he should have any one more item than he wants to, but I honestly wear out a pair of socks or two just a quickly as I got through a bottle of shampoo.

In regard to my friend, about two and a half years ago, his marriage ended, and I told him something along the lines: "I love being partnered off, but I envy you, because as painful as it is right now, you will reach a point where you're through the pain, and you will be so entirely free and open to possibility."  Do any of you know that point, after a break up, when you've finally healed and your suddenly able to see that you can basically do anything?  That's such a joyful feeling to come to, especially when hard won.  He's there right now.  I'm proud of him for making it to there.  And look at how he's taken that freedom and manifested it.  It's poetic.

I've come to a point where I have too much stuff.  Having not been a particularly stable person in the past, I moved around a lot, and with each move came a natural purge.  Now, having been in the same place for almost five years I have accumulated too much.  Being both creative and resourceful, I can easily imagine how to repurpose most things.  So the basement is full, and I'm itchy to clear it out. To put things to use, to give things away, throw things away...  I'm not much for extremes anymore, so I'm not going to boil it down to 100 things, but I'm going to draw major inspiration from his challenge.  There are things I value because of their supreme functionality, but then there are things that I value because of their sentimentality.  When it comes to the latter, the memories and meaning are mine regardless of the material items I attach them to.  So what's with all the crap in my basement?  Further examination is required.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: wombat on January 17, 2010, 02:02:15 pm

For some reason, I keep New Yorkers.  I don't keep any other magazines.  That's pretty stupid, isn't it?

See, this is the last magazine I feel like I need to keep, because there willl always be another one in a week.

I really should do something about the Pug Talk, though.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 17, 2010, 03:54:28 pm
See, this is the last magazine I feel like I need to keep, because there willl always be another one in a week.

I really should do something about the Pug Talk, though.
Well you can either do something now, or wait until your home contains only your pugs and back issues of pug talk, with you living outside in a tent on a wifi connection. DONT LET THIS BE YOUR FUTURE!
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: Toaster on January 17, 2010, 04:19:36 pm
I had read this somewhere, and mentioned it, and my girlfriend always yells WATCH OUT! and points to my socks if I am in danger of making that mistake.

That is adorable.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: wombat on January 17, 2010, 07:58:17 pm
Well you can either do something now, or wait until your home contains only your pugs and back issues of pug talk, with you living outside in a tent on a wifi connection.

Don't forget the collection of stuffed pugs.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: side_show on January 18, 2010, 04:05:37 pm
Taxidermied pugs?
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: wombat on January 18, 2010, 04:21:29 pm
Thankfully I haven't yet had the chance to decide whether to taxidermy a pug. 
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: linnea on January 18, 2010, 09:04:43 pm
While it would be hilarious to have a coffee table taxidermy terrarium, like with a stuffed fox holding a stuffed pheasant in its mouth amongst reeds and dried vegetation...I can't say the same for actual pets that you love.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: Toaster on January 18, 2010, 10:33:55 pm
I'd like a jackalope. Or other mythical animals. Put legs on a snake, add some horns, and you've got a dragon. Ooh, I wonder if you could make dinosaurs. Or a little centaur, but with a penis instead of a human torso. And what would the hoss part be? Like... Oh! Wait! the human part would be a bird, and the hoss part would be a hamster.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: smick on January 18, 2010, 11:17:48 pm
To bring the thread back on topic:

When I remove my #####, I step on one sock with the opposite foot, while I lift that leg out of the #####.   The leg, calf, and foot comes out of the ##### as thought it were from the day it was born.  This process is repeated for the side of the body that God has turned away from.

It is done quickly and on the sly.   I'm not sure I could maintain proper attractiveness while contorting up enough to play my thumb close enough to my ankle to reach my sock.

If I am visiting "foreign shores", I fold my ##### and shirt as I remove them.

I take the time to be a gentleman.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: bluemoon72 on January 19, 2010, 04:15:14 am
I'd like a jackalope. Or other mythical animals. Put legs on a snake, add some horns, and you've got a dragon. Ooh, I wonder if you could make dinosaurs. Or a little centaur, but with a penis instead of a human torso. And what would the hoss part be? Like... Oh! Wait! the human part would be a bird, and the hoss part would be a hamster.

Please behold: http://www.roguetaxidermy.com/Archived_Site/pages/chimera.htm

Damn right, we Minnesotans ARE weirder than you all down there in Houston (but not Portland).
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 19, 2010, 04:25:20 am
Please behold: http://www.roguetaxidermy.com/Archived_Site/pages/chimera.htm

Damn right, we Minnesotans ARE weirder than you all down there in Houston (but not Portland).

that is the coolest fucked up thing thing ever.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: linnea on January 19, 2010, 05:59:55 am
Wow. A lady made that Chimera. Dang. I guess I always thought of taxidermy as a hobby or profession of old guys. I have never met a taxidermist, though, so I'm not sure where I got that stereotype.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 19, 2010, 03:06:28 pm
Wow. A lady made that Chimera. Dang. I guess I always thought of taxidermy as a hobby or profession of old guys. I have never met a taxidermist, though, so I'm not sure where I got that stereotype.

its a thing of society in general, that women arent known for thier urges to kill a living thing, then prepare the dead body to make it appear to be living.
Title: Re: 100 Things
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 19, 2010, 04:40:57 pm
that is the coolest fucked up thing thing ever.






<--------- I concur.