The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: side_show on January 18, 2010, 09:24:09 pm

Title: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: side_show on January 18, 2010, 09:24:09 pm
So, in this thread (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,5411.30/topicseen.html) I brought up pet taxidermy, jokingly.  So then I googled pet taxidermy...  I don't know why, but I did.  So any way, this is  Perpetual Pet, (http://www.perpetualpet.net/Gallery/) or more specifically, it's the image gallery of the work this business does.  When cute and grotesque and depressing collide, this is what you get.

I also found this  tiny taxidermied pug puppy that sold on ebay for a surprisingly large sum (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Taxidermy-Tiny-Pug-Dog-Puppy-Circa-1890-Very-Rare_W0QQitemZ120502839215QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091207?IMSfp=TL091207191004r1757), which is something I can't find any lolz about at all.  Apparently this item is for "the serious taxidermy collector." 

Yikes.

(edit: fixed the link)

Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 18, 2010, 10:41:52 pm
I'm going to marry tinkebell and have her turn my pigs into remote control cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aybjk64SYH8
She also makes things wombat should never see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5cTlWu2fsY
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 18, 2010, 11:25:19 pm
ALSO: A-Caps links would have been better with more of Tinkerbells tits. For some reason I kept wanting them to make an appearance. I know, not cool, but it is what it is.
It almost makes up for her crazy.
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: wombat on January 19, 2010, 12:54:07 am
That taxidermy pug is interesting because it's from the late nineteenth century, and pugs looked quite different then. Also they cropped their ears, as you can see if you look closely. Obviously they had a very different sense of cuteness.

It kind of doesn't bother me because that pug would have been dead for over a century by now either way. I'm also OK with the fact that you put the wrong link in to the modern company... I would look, but it might be better NOT to look.
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: side_show on January 19, 2010, 03:59:14 am
It is something one might rather not look at.  I fixed it, but then... Some are so lifelike, while others.... icky.
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: jaydub on January 19, 2010, 04:12:32 am
I love listening to Dutch.  Its like dream writing - it almost makes sense. 
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 19, 2010, 10:46:30 pm
www.crappytaxidermy.com
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: wombat on January 20, 2010, 12:19:40 am
I love listening to Dutch.  Its like dream writing - it almost makes sense. 

Yes - I feel like any word now it's going to turn into English or German, but it never does.
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: dejavroom on January 20, 2010, 12:25:26 pm
I have a cat called 21 (it's not a gimmicky name, even though it is - it just sounds good in portuguese - as it does in english). If I got rich he'd be immortal, perpetually cloned, a long line of 22, 23 etc; and for tradition's sake, their hides would become tambourines (an old samba myth that says that cats provide the best hide for making them).
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 20, 2010, 02:39:53 pm
I have a cat called 21 (it's not a gimmicky name, even though it is - it just sounds good in portuguese - as it does in english). If I got rich he'd be immortal, perpetually cloned, a long line of 22, 23 etc; and for tradition's sake, their hides would become tambourines (an old samba myth that says that cats provide the best hide for making them).

[[sings]]
i knew a man, dejavroom and hed dance for you
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: jaydub on January 20, 2010, 07:46:26 pm
Google tells me that twenty in Portuguese is also twenty.  True?

55 in Italian is quite euphonious, IMO.
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: oball on January 20, 2010, 11:22:49 pm
I initially misread the title of this thread as "Perpetual Pat", so now I'm imagining a stuffed Pat with a built-in voice recorder that constantly criticises your eating habits and social responsibility and, well, everything.
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: dejavroom on February 01, 2010, 04:29:34 pm
Google tells me that twenty in Portuguese is also twenty.  True?

Oops, just saw this.

no, no, google is drunk. "twenty" in portuguese is "vinte" (veen-tchee); "vinte e um" (21) would be "veen-tchee-oom"
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: wombat on February 01, 2010, 04:57:44 pm
Here's another idea: make your loved one's cremated remains - pet or human, or, if they are not dead, their HAIR - into a diamond.
http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/beloved_pets_main2006.aspx (http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/beloved_pets_main2006.aspx)
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: bluemoon72 on February 01, 2010, 04:59:45 pm
Here's another idea: make your loved one's cremated remains - pet or human, or, if they are not dead, their HAIR - into a diamond.
http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/beloved_pets_main2006.aspx (http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/beloved_pets_main2006.aspx)

I don't know why, but about 10 years ago I thought it would be really cool to own a pet cemetary and sell these things as an add-on service.  (Was I high?  No.)
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: jay-ell on February 01, 2010, 05:30:48 pm
There is also a service that will spin your pet's clipped or brushed hair into yarn. To knit with.

http://www.vipfibers.com/ (http://www.vipfibers.com/)
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: CortJstr on February 01, 2010, 06:11:00 pm
Here's another idea: make your loved one's cremated remains - pet or human, or, if they are not dead, their HAIR - into a diamond.
http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/beloved_pets_main2006.aspx (http://www.lifegem.com/secondary/beloved_pets_main2006.aspx)

My mom insists this is what she wants done to her body. Provided I always wear the diamond.
Title: Re: Perpetual Pet (oh dear god.)
Post by: pmcd9 on February 01, 2010, 10:17:23 pm
Court, that's very sweet and creepy at the same time.