The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Victoria Waterfield on January 22, 2010, 03:29:22 pm

Title: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 22, 2010, 03:29:22 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01222010

I've never played Operation, so this probably wasn't as amusing to me as it will be to some.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: AugustWest on January 22, 2010, 03:35:45 pm
This strip would be funny if it weren't so damn true.

/weeps
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: TedStriker on January 22, 2010, 03:36:33 pm
Yeah, I shaved closer to my eyes THIS MORNING. 
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: CortJstr on January 22, 2010, 03:52:33 pm
I'm hating that patch of hair between the should blades right now. Also the 30-year-old man-belly's kinda whack.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: lprkn on January 22, 2010, 04:56:01 pm
A friend of mine refers to those bits of shoulder hair as "pheromone patches."

And: There'd be a lot more support for national health care if somebody threw in a "homeopathic blowjob" clause.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Choop on January 22, 2010, 05:10:24 pm
depends on the healer, lprkn
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Dangermoose on January 22, 2010, 07:28:57 pm
I would rather prefer a hetereopathic blowjob, but that's just me.

Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: jaydub on January 22, 2010, 07:34:00 pm
What is the deal with homeopathy anyway.  "We dilute the molecule until it is in such low concentration that it has the opposite effect".  What?
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: AugustWest on January 22, 2010, 07:37:19 pm
What is the deal with homeopathy anyway.  "We dilute the molecule until it is in such low concentration that it has the opposite effect".  What?

IIRC it gets even crazier.  They dilute it so far that it's statistically unlikely that there's even molecules of the substance in the water.  The water retains the "memory" of the substance and that's what cures you.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Chump Change on January 22, 2010, 07:52:11 pm
Hey Onstad! Getting old ain't a game for sissies!

Such whining. Be glad you're still sucking air regularly.

The machine breaks. You work twice as hard to do half of what you used to and you like it.

Shame on this bear.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Dangermoose on January 22, 2010, 09:15:15 pm
IIRC it gets even crazier.  They dilute it so far that it's statistically unlikely that there's even molecules of the substance in the water.  The water retains the "memory" of the substance and that's what cures you.

Whoa, wow, I just thought "homeopathic" meant "new agey bullshit." 

So then what exactly would constitute a "homeopathic blowjob" anyway?
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Dangermoose on January 22, 2010, 09:16:38 pm
I have been to some bars where they serve homeopathic cocktails.  I did not go back.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: CortJstr on January 22, 2010, 09:28:41 pm
IIRC it gets even crazier.  They dilute it so far that it's statistically unlikely that there's even molecules of the substance in the water.  The water retains the "memory" of the substance and that's what cures you.

There's at least one James Randi speech about this on the You Tubes. It's worth watching.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 22, 2010, 09:40:14 pm
Whoa, wow, I just thought "homeopathic" meant "new agey bullshit." 

So then what exactly would constitute a "homeopathic blowjob" anyway?

That's where not even a damn molecule of the dick touches you.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 22, 2010, 09:54:53 pm
eyebrow dandruff shouldnt be a huge deal in a time when its ok for dudes to moisturize.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 22, 2010, 10:04:40 pm
About a year ago, the FDA apparently decided that you couldn't give cold medicines to kids anymore.  I think this was because a limited number of fuckheads gave their kids too much medicine, because they were too stupid to read the label, and thus they ruined it for the rest of us.  So anyway, when one of the kids was sick a while back I was looking for cold medicine, and they were all like "Do not give to children under 6!"  The only one that said it was safe for little kids was some homeopathic stuff, so I bought it, despite not really knowing what that meant.

Littley got sick this month, and I tried to give her some of this stuff, and she said it tastes terrible.  I looked at the label, and it contains a bunch of stuff that doesn't sound like any cold medicine I've ever seen before.  After reading this thread, I'm thinking I might go home and throw that shit away.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: jay-ell on January 22, 2010, 10:08:52 pm
If she's got a cough, this is what worked for my baby girl to help her sleep at night:

4 oz. apple juice
4 oz. H2O
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

She loved the stuff and drank it down like candy. If your littlun is past the age where you water down her juice, you can just use 8 oz of straight-up juice instead. Add a teaspoon of brandy if you feel comfortable with that. (I didn't, but my grandmother swore by it.) Not homeopathic, but a nice old-fashioned home remedy that won't hurt their little brains (especially if you leave out the booze.)
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 22, 2010, 10:19:37 pm
If she's got a cough, this is what worked for my baby girl to help her sleep at night:

4 oz. apple juice
4 oz. H2O
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

She loved the stuff and drank it down like candy. If your littlun is past the age where you water down her juice, you can just use 8 oz of straight-up juice instead. Add a teaspoon of brandy if you feel comfortable with that. (I didn't, but my grandmother swore by it.) Not homeopathic, but a nice old-fashioned home remedy that won't hurt their little brains (especially if you leave out the booze.)
Add some cloves, cinnamon, and bunch of gin and you have my signature winter drink.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: jaydub on January 22, 2010, 10:51:18 pm
That's where not even a damn molecule of the dick touches you.
That's the kind I get then.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: AugustWest on January 22, 2010, 11:25:38 pm
Add some cloves, cinnamon, and bunch of gin and you have my signature winter drink.

Gin?  Really?  I could see Rum, Brandy or maybe even some sort of whiskey, but gin just seems like it would clash.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Ryabovsky on January 23, 2010, 02:43:28 am
Pretty much the definition of a winter drink is "that sounds nasty."
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: linnea on January 23, 2010, 06:03:53 am
That's where not even a damn molecule of the dick touches you.

Hahahaha oh god that is so hell of canned.

That's the kind I get then.

Man. My condolences.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Thomas Pain on January 24, 2010, 07:47:57 am
when I was a kid I found that eating red (blue?) grapes always relieved a sore throat when I had a cold.  I also found grape juice made from said grapes to have the same effect.

what works best however in my experience is zinc gluconate losanges.  Not the coldeze brand crap, but the stuff that comes in a bottle of 50 for $7 or whatever, sold in some but not all pharmacies.  NOW brand sells them, available online as well.  nowfoods.com lists local distributors.  Of course you're not supposed to give small kids too much zinc.  That's probably just paranoia.  This from the same government that shuts down an airport and delays air travel in the whole world and charges a guy with murder (http://salon.com/news/air_travel/index.html?story=/tech/col/smith/2010/01/21/american_hysteria) when he simply pushes open the wrong door by accident.  Ya know.  Anyway, I recommend the zinc gluconate.  sore throats used to be quite a painful distraction for me, now with zinc gluconate, my suffering is vastly reduced.

yeah... homeopathy is a good part of the multi-billion (trillion?) dollar world-wide medical fraud industry.  L Ron hubbard was a big proponent of it, and I believe the scientologists continue to push the idea (along with their assortment of other idiotic ideas.)  Although, I fail to see the difference between the credibility of the beliefs of scientology and christianity, except for the scientologists are better organized and more secretive about their beliefs... you have to get promoted to higher and higher levels in the organization to learn more and more about the religion...  Scientologists are like the Microsoft of organized religion...  "create a need... then fill that need..." 


Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 24, 2010, 04:17:30 pm
when I was a kid I found that eating red (blue?) grapes always relieved a sore throat when I had a cold.  I also found grape juice made from said grapes to have the same effect.



The pectin from the grapes, which is also present to some degree in the juice, creates a jelly-like coating to coat and thus prevent further irritation. Should you want to relieve a sore throat with pectin, the best source as used in traditional middle eastern medicine is the seed of the quince. Quince seeds and skins have a ridiculous amount of pectin; suck on them (under your tongue, as if it were a hard candy) and sore throats are resolved quite quickly.

Here, though, we see traditional medicine as a trial-and-error discovery of something with a solid, testable scientific underpinning. Homeopathy, on the other hand, as you intimate, is a giant steaming load of crap.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 24, 2010, 05:58:46 pm
Although, I fail to see the difference between the credibility of the beliefs of scientology and christianity, except for the scientologists are better organized and more secretive about their beliefs... you have to get promoted to higher and higher levels in the organization to learn more and more about the religion...  Scientologists are like the Microsoft of organized religion...  "create a need... then fill that need..." 

if you have millions, you can really go places in scientology.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Doc on January 25, 2010, 12:01:22 am
I tend to get conflicted about alternative, or traditional, medicine. On the one hand anything you can use that helps you feel better (as long as it's not bankrupting you) is a good tool and should be used.
On the other hand the people dispensing it will often take the opportunity to bash the pharmaco-industrial complex, imply that hundreds of years of scientific inquiry amount to basically wild guessing and next thing you know AIDs patients don't want to take their anti-retrovirals while they're pregnant and you have some poor kid born with nothing but horrible options which could have been avoided.
I think both sides should keep and open mind and not be assholes is what I'm saying. And also be able to back up their claims.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: oball on January 25, 2010, 01:29:53 am
Tim Minchin has some things to say about alternative medicine, and the lifestyle surrounding it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-f0PoiSSGI)


"Alternative" medicine is produced and used by people who are well-meaning but sadly deluded at best, and knowing purveyors of potentially lethal fraud at worst.

Much like religion, really.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: jay-ell on January 25, 2010, 01:55:40 am
I tend to get conflicted about alternative, or traditional, medicine. On the one hand anything you can use that helps you feel better (as long as it's not bankrupting you) is a good tool and should be used.
On the other hand the people dispensing it will often take the opportunity to bash the pharmaco-industrial complex, imply that hundreds of years of scientific inquiry amount to basically wild guessing and next thing you know AIDs patients don't want to take their anti-retrovirals while they're pregnant and you have some poor kid born with nothing but horrible options which could have been avoided.
I think both sides should keep and open mind and not be assholes is what I'm saying. And also be able to back up their claims.

My favorites are the people who end up with dead kids because they're afraid that vaccinations are going to give their toddlers autism.

I love those guys. Love them so much I want to shoot them in the eye.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: theinevitable on January 25, 2010, 05:42:19 am
the ones I love are the ones who end up making other people's kids have diseases because they won't inoculate their kids.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Doc on January 25, 2010, 06:02:57 am
the ones I love are the ones who end up making other people's kids have diseases because they won't inoculate their kids.

So much this.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: theinevitable on January 25, 2010, 06:44:07 am
I think... I can predict right now that if that situation occurred to me as a parent, things would get mob-going-after-Frankenstein's-monster really fast.
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 25, 2010, 05:19:24 pm
Wired had a big article on the vaccine-autism hoopla (not surprisingly, Wired comes down strongly on the side of real science).  Interesting read.
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/10/ff_waronscience/
Title: Re: 22nd January 2010 - Dear God what is this cryptic salvo
Post by: Dangermoose on January 25, 2010, 09:30:24 pm
I think both sides should keep and open mind and not be assholes is what I'm saying.

In other words, no one should be a cock to a stranger, ever.  It's the goddamn golden rule.