The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Toaster on January 28, 2010, 12:02:04 am
-
http://www.apple.com/ipad
I like it. I will be getting one the first day, and because I'm an unapologetic corporate technology whore I'll be getting the 64 GB model. The only question that remains is whether to get the wi-fi one or the wi-fi and 3G one.
I will sleep with this motherfucker in my godsdamn arms like it was my firstborn. Much like ape mothers, I will never let another person handle my Precious.
-
So this is Apple's answer to the Kindle then.
I loved watching that video. Everyone that spoke on it sounded like the ipad was about to give them an orgasm. An igasm if you will.
-
Ipad, 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI
-
They really couldn't come up with a better name than this?
Obviously there are not enough women working at Apple, or they would realize that the first association that comes to mind is not appropriate. As I have said elsewhere, I am waiting for them to come out with the iTampon.
-
Man I don't give a shit.
-
what else are they going to call it? they've got iPod and iPhone, and this is just an upsized touch. they made their brand, now they have to lie in it.
if it were more than a big ipod, i'd be much more excited. instead, it doesn't multitask (except maybe itunes in the background), it's a usb slave with custom port that only has an adapter for a camera, there's no webcam or stylus or voice recognition or phone functionality and you can't install third-party apps from outside the ipod app store.
but i think the missus would like it.
-
Man I don't give a shit.
heh heh. someone's old and grouchy.
My take on the ipad, as well as the iphone, and Macintosh computers for that matter (ibook, imac, cube, etc) is this:
these computers are compromises. There are major major compromises wired into these computers. Same with any PC running windows.. windows is a compromise as well, and arguably windows is the worst compromise of all. I know that maybe people don't see it that way, or even if they do, they can't afford to not use windows, in the same way that many people get payday loans.
Poverty is a trap. Poverty has less to do with what you can and can't afford, and everything to do with what you perceive that you can and can't afford, and what you perceive that you *need.* Windows is for many people the payday loan of technology. It'll let you bridge that gap in the short term, but in the long term you'll pay.
Don't get me wrong, payday loans can serve a legitimate function... if your bank is in the final stage of repossessing your house, and if you don't get them that payment by closing time on Friday, and you're $200 short, a payday loan would be cheaper than losing the house. But how many people actually use payday loans in that way? And even so, you still take a hit.
Ideally we would all have Macintosh computers and iphones and ipads, and we would all drive tricked out cars that are safe and well balanced and reliable, and we'd take our cars to the mechanic on the rare occasion that they do break because our time is better sent doing anything than fixing cars.
The reality is that we can't all afford these luxuries, so we wind up working on our own cars, and eventually learning how to run linux and use Open Office instead of Microsoft Word and Powerpoint and Excel and so on.
And then there are those who live in crappy apartment complexes and work 50 60 even 70 hours a week for low wages and who drive $30,000 cars with spinners and tricked out suspensions and park outside on the street and yes these people run Windows and these people pay the mechanic to fix the car and they pay the Best Buy kid to run spybot for them and/or reinstall Windows for them.
Unfortunately, Apple hasn't really done anything fundamentally original or good since Steve Jobs came back. All Apple did was buy NeXT, and adopt as it's own NeXT's business strategy of monetizing Linux by leveraging Linux/Un*x to fill the need that Microsoft created and then that the cell phone makers created and now that the ebook reader makers have created.
So Apple has a room full of moneys that they use for product testing, to make sure that the touch and feel is okay, and that the buttons are in the right place and that on average (not entirely, only on average) the GUI is a few notches better than the competition. Apple pays a little extra to get slightly better test monkeys, but most importantly of all, Apple is structured internally such that the directives of the head money (we'll call him 'Steve') get listened to by the other monkeys. Apple may well be able to carry on like this when the lease is up on Steve, because it's not so much Steve's ideas that are what allows Apple to make better products, but the fact that the Apple monkeys obey Steve... Once Steve leaves, someone else will be able to step in and fill Steve's shoes, demanding that the GUI make some sort of sense (oh, the brilliance of it! My dog could never have suggested that!) and continuing the beat the same old dead hoss of a business model, namely, building that semi-ok GUI in Linux.
Meanwhile, Linux keeps getting better and better... Apple's business model can only work for so long. I'm not saying that Apple will be displaced directly by Linux. It may well be some third party company (like say Sun) (who bought them/merged them again?) decides to break Apple's toy by pushing for open standards. I don't think that there are many if any companies that can do what Apple does, which is to make products that suck less than everyone else... by definition there can sort of only be one such company at a time... but what these companies can do is encourage open source development of products that don't suck... which is certainly tricky, I mean you look at some of the idiocy of Firefox's GUI and you see what I mean, but, over the long haul, the open source moneys can probably do more and better work than the Apple monkeys.
$.02.
if this made sense to anyone reading it, seek medical attention now.
-
heh heh. someone's old and grouchy.
Well duh.
-
iTamp
-
yet another thing that im too poor to buy, even if i had an interest. i like gadgets, but i dont need 11 that all do the same shit.
-
if it were more than a big ipod, i'd be much more excited.
I agree. The lack of multi-tasking and only being able to install apple sanctioned apps really kills it for me. I feel like my phone is more useful and open, and I can listen to Pandora while I surf the web to boot.
-
I think the main thing with the iPad is that it's going to force everyone else to adapt, like the iPhone. I'm not ready to hail it as the next big thing, but many people were underwhelmed by the iPhone when debuted as well.
That being said, I'm definitely waiting on v. 2 or even 3 before I seriously consider this thing and its price tag.
-
the price will drop a lot in the next five years, and the capacity will go up. look at ipod. after five years it had color, four sizes, six times the disk space, and better battery life. the original 5gb ipod cost $400. today i can get one that's got a phone and touchscreen for less than that.
i'm betting v3 or v4 will have multitasking, maybe dual-core, front-facing camera, and a version following soon after will have an actual OS that lets me install software apple competes with.
-
response to the "linux is getting better" comment:
1 - linux will never best os x in the desktop. having been an exclusive unix/linux user since 1993, i can say the solid NeXT underpinnings of OS X beat the ##### off of X11 any day of the week, and when you factor in the horrible QA most linux distributions have ... or the asinine decisions their core teams make (PulseAudio? Empathy? Really?) -- no contest.
2 - os x uses "open standards" for nearly every component, believe it or not. GNU license != open source. the kernel and userland are Mach and 4.4BSD respectively. the yellow box/blue box components (or Cocoa/Carbon or whatever the fuck they call it now) are based on Java (open), DisplayPDF (PostScript), etc. I have programmed in PostScript. It is a turing complete language, but I'd not recommend it.
i'll deal with the rest later
-
I dunno.. uh... I think OS9 bests OSX in the desktop. Not in terms of stability, but in terms of power, hands down, you can do more with OS9, and do it more easily. Of course, with OS9 you can't drop down to the CLI and work there.. the CLI is obviously more powerful than any GUI. There was at least one third party CLIs for OS9, but anyway, that's moot, since, ya know, it's OS9. It will never touch un*x.
linux best OSX in the desktop? It will happen.
-
(http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/IROL/19/196520/1_4image1.jpg)
http://media.freescale.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=196520&p=irol-newsarticle&ID=1370004
This thing is everything the ipad is not. Camera, removable storage, not locked to itunes/ATT, flash enabled, and multitasking.
"The solution is intended to enable a second generation of smartbook products with prices less than $200..."
Summer 2010.
-
too bad it looks like that.
wait.
hang on a goddamned minute.
they can sell these things for two hundred bucks but the OLPC project can't build theirs for a hundred bucks each? something's fuck*ng giraffey.
-
I'll be excited about the iPad when I can figure out something I want to do with it and that thing is something it actually can do.
So, like, three years from now when HTC makes one that's running Chrome.
-
i don't think that's as far off as you think it is lister
-
I don't really understand this. It is not as good as a laptop and it doesn't fit in your pocket, so where does its purpose come in?
-
I'm inclined to agree. It looks like its bigger than a Kindle/Sony-reader too. Readers can get away with being the size of a paperback because that's what they're replacing. Even the "cheap" iPad is pricier than a Kindle.
-
What we all want is a PADD. So I say Apple just needs to suck it up, license LCARS, and give us a freaking PADD already.
-
I don't really understand this. It is not as good as a laptop and it doesn't fit in your pocket, so where does its purpose come in?
Dom Joly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NciO7AEqKYE) will probably buy several of the things.
-
Dom Joly (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NciO7AEqKYE) will probably buy several of the things.
He lives in my village
-
I don't really understand this. It is not as good as a laptop and it doesn't fit in your pocket, so where does its purpose come in?
seriously though, the purpose of this thing is that it's a particular size and weight. You can compare it against a laptop, but such a comparison only goes so far. To the extent that you don't care about the size and weight of a device, then yes, you can compare it to a laptop. Many users do care a lot about size and weight, however. So really, it's better to compare it to an ebook like the kindle.
Also, besides size and weight, the shape of this thing is another attribute that many people will care about. it's flat. almost all laptops are not flat. I know IBM makes one where you can spin the screen around so it is flat, laying face up over the keyboard, but that's several grand and bulky and heavy.
And you can't compare a tablet to a phone because of the screen size. If you want a big screen size, but you still want as much portability as possible, then you want a tablet.
There are so many applications where a large screen is desirable, but at the same time portability is critical. reading a book is one such application. using a GPS in your car is another. If you've ever tried to use a laptop with a GPS program in your car, you know it's simply not workable. other applications: reading a newspaper, surfing the web... who wants to surf the web on tiny screen? there are hundreds of thousands of web sites that people use on a regular basis. Many of these sites will have more value to many people if people can access them without having to walk across the room to sit down in front of the computer, or get in a posture such that they can occupy their lap with their laptop, or even have to own a computer at all.
technically you don't NEED a tablet. technically, it was also possible to program VCRs to automatically record a show, and while many people bought VCRs partly with the intention of using that feature, virtually no one ever did use it. Human impulse and creativity and expression doesn't fit in a box or a cubicle. It can't be chained to a desk top workstation. People are mobile creatures. People also have varying degrees of organization... yes if you are organized about it you can maintain a home with an office and a computer on a desk or a laptop and a charger...
this thing about wireless chargers that use AC magnetic fields to charge the device so you don't have to plug any wires into the device you're charging... they're ridiculous... no one needs that. yet, if given the chance, people will use them, and in doing so, that's one more barrier overcome... these barriers to a seamless personal expression experience, they seem minor maybe, but they all add up. And people have money to blow, so even the most subtle of barriers is worth several hundred if you can offer a device which overcomes that barrier.
-
See, I get that, just don't necessarily understand how this helps.
[a lot of shit i took out]
I had to buy a new power cord for my macbook recently and it was like $80 (thats how they get you). I had to replace that shit on the dell I had previously too. The last thing you mention sounds heavenly, actually. Having to move around that fuck*ng cord is like my only complaint with my current laptop. Seems like it would make what you want more possible too, when paired with a laptop.
Just, like if it is not really portable, and you have to have it in your hands or on some stand to watch stuff on it, how.. I don't know, whatever, just don't have a use for this I guess.
-
you just described your use for it. With an ipad, you could move it around, sit down and show someone a video, a web page, a vacation photo, whatever, without having to drag the power cord with. yeah you can do that with a laptop too, but the laptop is heavier, and has less battery life. This thing can last probably twice as long as most laptops on a single charge.
but geez, Apple's design philosophy is idiotic in some ways... like how it takes so much work and technical expertise and therefore expense to replace the battery in an iphone.
I think a major application for many people will be that the ipad runs Apple's OS, and is therefore more reliable than Windows. At $500, it's about half the price of the cheapest Mac laptop. Yeah it can't do much, but what it can do, it will do well. I'd say the fact that Windows completely sucks at almost everything is the major driving force behind single-purpose hardware. Anyone who is literate understands that in theory software should be able to do anything, but in practice, you have to be extremely literate to get that out of Windows. If you aren't literate it's only a matter of weeks before your Windows experience starts to go to hell with trojans and viruses and pop-ups and unwanted add-ons and outright crashes. Not so with Apple products.
I was just at this guy's house helping him with his laptops... he had two laptops and two of those stupid Acer little mini laptop things, all running XP Pro. It was all f-ed up beyond belief. His level of computer literacy was clueless beyond clueless, meaning it was about par for a PC user. The thing about Windows is the whole environment actively strives to hold your literacy back, so you're not going to develop any sort of understanding of computer architecture if you're using Windows. Weird erratic behavior that's obviously caused by a faulty hard drive (complete with SMART bios warnings on boot) are perceived by the average user as on the same level as the browser's default home page being inexplicably changed as the nth malware toolbar is installed by the user.
I went over there thinking this guy was slightly classy, that he might offer me some pizza or something, but no, the kitchen counters were overflowing with dirty dishes that looked weeks old, I rummaged through some drawers looking for a non-existent silverware drawer and found dead fruit flies instead... I was like WTF... The wife was off at work and the kids were well behaved, but the selection of TV programming - Simpsons followed by dumb-ass sitcoms... man, Rosanne looked good compared to the sh@t they put on TV these days. Or ALF. What ever happened to ALF.. or the muppets... Even Sesame Street programming has gotten dumbed down in recent decades. Anyway... a cockroach skuttled across the floor. The big screen TV was one of those old projection style TVs, and it was bashed in from the kids having run into it so many times, so the projected image was this weird ghosting of the same image repeated as different overlapping primary colours... all out of focus. Yet no one seemed to mind. One of the laptops had a F*ed screen, all cracked, again from the kids, and he was trying to load Windows on it despite a faulty hard drive, for one of the kids... I'm like... sure why not... you're giving your kids Windows, you may as well go all the way and give them a laptop with 1/4 of the screen dead due to cracks running through it.
I felt sorry for those kids. The most this family had going for it was his new android cell phone. That was the one ray of light anywhere in all of that, the one artifact that might not completely suck, that might stand out as an example of what technology can maybe do, and maybe be.
yeah so I googled and found that alt-f10 gets you into a recovery menu on those acer mini-laptops. It pulled up a cloning program that looked a lot like Ghost. So we ran that, but halfway through, it failed. Oh well. I was like, hey, get a USB hard drive and a USB CDROM drive, and maybe we can use clonezilla to clone your working ACER's hard drive onto the dead ACER's hard drive. He'll have to be doing that without me, however. I got a life I need to be living.
-
It's a giant iPhone, that isn't a phone, that you can't multitask on, that you can only use Apple-approved programs on and you can't modify basically any of the programming on any level.
It's a Kindle you can write e-mail on and that plays that Apple approved media.
Boo to that.
-
yeah, but keep in mind, as god-awful as the ipad is, the competition is worse, or if there's something better out there, they apparently have used up their PR budget.
sure you can buy a kindle which is better for the specific application of reading books, but the idea behind buying an ipad is that it features more than the kindle... print, video, photo, and audio multimedia, internet browsing, and runs most iPhone OS apps...
You can't even do a lot of the stuff the ipad can do on a laptop. The ipad runs iphone apps. many iphone apps do stuff that laptops can't do. there you go. has there been a baby shaking application on the ibook yet? No? Okay, then what's your point exactly? When I can shake a baby to death on your ibook, come show it to me. until then, I don't wanna hear this uhhhh iphone is pointless uhhh ipad is pointless uhhh uhhh anymore.
sure, you can say it's basically an iphone minus a lot of features, but it has a bigger screen. but that bigger screen means that it can do stuff that the iphone can't do. pretty soon you're gonna see all kinda apps for the ipad that wouldn't really work on the iphone's small screen. All sorts of apps targeted at kids, for example... kids will love the ipad. You gonna give your 4 or 5 yr old your laptop and say 'here go have fun with this game app?' no. it's not workable. the laptop is too heavy, and not enough battery life. I mean, sure, you can do, it's just, the ipad will work better for so many situations.
y'all need to put yer friggin' myopic egos aside for a minute and consider that there might be other people out there who use computers for other things and in other ways than you do! ! ! !
y'all would be like, in response to the idea of people using the telephone for socializing 'that's the dumbest idea, what a waste of bandwidth. the telephone is for business applications only.' That's what people who used the phone initially thought about it. Because it was stuffy head business people who used it. The phone companies initially discouraged people for using the phones for socialization. After a while the realized that business was not the main application of the phone, that they would find a much bigger market in socialization application.
-- edit
I'm sorry I used the word friggin' that was uncalled for
-
Or maybe Apple isn't infallible.
-
Apple is crap. But that's not my point.
-
hey t. pain, does steve jobs' c*ck taste good?
-
I come on here. I try to have an intelligent conversation. Listen I'm unemployed in the anti-thesis of the socialist state. I don't have a lot in my life right now. I have two cats I have to worry about supporting. I come on here for a few minutes to try to escape the madness of this world, to try to elevate myself a little bit, to try to contribute positively in some small way to the ebb and flow of ideas in this vast place we call cyberspace, and you all have to poke and jab and sneer and snarl and condescend and drag me down, and then you kick me. If the Internet is cyberspace, then this place here is cybersuburbia, or cyberurbandecay, and you all are the hustlers and the winos and the crack pushers and the tenement slum lords who scuttle into the shadows like cockroaches when a broken out street light is repaired. Oh well at least none of you are shoving chick webb tracts into my face.
-
antithesis is one word, no hyphen. and you know where the door is.
-
We have a door? I thought this place was Hotel California.
-
antithesis is one word, no hyphen. and you know where the door is.
oh come on. humor me. I was being humorful.
antithesis ... huh... that's like a fatal flaw in spellcheckers is that you can hyphenate pretty much any combination of words, e.g. spell-checkers, and they don't complain.
anti-thesis is kind of an interesting one, however. Personally, I like to actually say it as "anti" "thesis" as if it's hyphenated.
saying it in it's one-word pronounciation, (sp?*) as if it's one word, you know, phonetically: [an ti thu sis] is like, inventing a new word, and it's kind of obscuring it's etymology. Why make life more complicated than it needs to be.
I mean, technically, I'm allowed to hyphenate combinations (sp?*) of words if I feel like it, right?
(*these words are being underlined by my spell checker and I don't wish to research their proper spelling at the moment)
-
no job AND 2 cats? you poor guy! how about a hug?
-
WHAT A LOAD OF ASHITE
NOT AS COMEFORTABLE TO AREAD AS A N EBOOK NOT AS SMAL AS IPHONE NOT AS GOOAD AS IPHONE.
FUCK YOU APPLE
-
drunk opinions sometimes are the most awesome ones.
-
drunk opinions sometimes always are the most awesome ones.
-
drunk opinions sometimes are the most awesome ones.
I think only sober people ever say this.
no job AND 2 cats? you poor guy! how about a hug?
Indeed. And not only that, I live in fuck*ng USA where over 50% of the population are smug assholes who vote against any sort of social welfare every chance they get.
-
http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/01/wondering-why-you-cant-pre-order-the-ipad-it-isnt-legal-yet/
What the fuck apple? Can we officially call this the greatest tech flop yet?
-
I live in fuck*ng USA where over 50% of the population are smug assholes who vote against any sort of social welfare every chance they get.
if you want the government to wipe your ass, move to the E.U.
-
if you want the government to wipe your ass, move to the E.U.
8)
-
8)
thanks for properly (i hope?) reading the sarcasm.
-
chick webb tracts
Now there's a thought. I guess you use them to drum up interest in religion.
HAW HAW HAW
-
if you want the government to wipe your ass, move to the E.U.
Fuck no, I want deregulation and capitalism until we're as much of a 3rd world country as Haiti, so your ass can get buried in rubble and then I'll fuck*ng kick your dead feet stickin' out of the rubble and be all yelling and shit and be like "how do you fuckin' like your anti-thesis of socialism now, mr. koolayd???" and I'll post it on you tube and I'll get one of those fuckin' video picture frames at walmart and I'll put in on there and I'll duct tape the frame to your toumbstone or more likely mass grave as the case may be.
-
thanks for properly (i hope?) reading the sarcasm.
okay wait what? I guess then my post was sarcastic too
-
but geez, Apple's design philosophy is idiotic in some ways... like how it takes so much work and technical expertise and therefore expense to replace the battery in an iphone.
It's intentional. They make it hard to upgrade/modify their devices so that they can have a smooth form factor or whatever and so that you have pay them to fix anything or just buy a new thingy. Did you ever notice that there's no micro-SD slot on any Apple device? Isn't that the easiest/cheapest way to upgrade solid state storage space?
-
Fuck no, I want deregulation and capitalism until we're as much of a 3rd world country as Haiti, so your ass can get buried in rubble and then I'll fuck*ng kick your dead feet stickin' out of the rubble and be all yelling and shit and be like "how do you fuckin' like your anti-thesis of socialism now, mr. koolayd???" and I'll post it on you tube and I'll get one of those fuckin' video picture frames at walmart and I'll put in on there and I'll duct tape the frame to your toumbstone or more likely mass grave as the case may be.
whatever, dude. im fat, so the rubble would just bounce off of me.
-
It's intentional. They make it hard to upgrade/modify their devices so that they can have a smooth form factor or whatever and so that you have pay them to fix anything or just buy a new thingy. Did you ever notice that there's no micro-SD slot on any Apple device? Isn't that the easiest/cheapest way to upgrade solid state storage space?
so which is more evil -- Apple's planned obsolescence in hardware, or Microsoft's planned obsolescence in software?
-
Microsoft's upgrade cycle is a helluva lot friendlier than Apple's
-
so which is more evil -- Apple's planned obsolescence in hardware, or Microsoft's planned obsolescence in software?
I can continue using Microsoft's outdated software -- XP's still working fine for me, thanks. When my pretty little piece of Apple hardware quits working, I'm screwed.
-
Yeah, as late as 2008, I was using a computer with Windows 98 on it.
It didn't work PERFECTLY but it served my minimum needs.
Whereas my girlfriend is on iPod... three?... in four years?
-
People expect Microsoft to suck. It's the magic of lowered expectations.
-
Yeah, as late as 2008, I was using a computer with Windows 98 on it.
It didn't work PERFECTLY but it served my minimum needs.
Whereas my girlfriend is on iPod... three?... in four years?
How many macbooks has she gone through? my friends who have macbooks from 4 years ago are all doing fine.
an ipod is a tiny, portable device. come on.
my windows computer is basically like living in hell a lot of the time. it cannot do basic tasks.
lately the new thing is that it opens a million programs when I turn it on, and when I tell it not to open them, it says I need to be the Administrator to do that. I am the administrator.
I don't get at this point the complaining that is like... everyone says your ipod will only last two years, and then I bought one, and it only lasted two years.
also: microsoft can't have "planned hardware obsolescence" because microsoft does not make hardware. at least, not computer-bodies.
-
My ipod lasted approximately 18 months...before I lost it.
-
zune
-
zune
amen. ive had mine for 11 months and im still trying to fill the rest of the 80g up.
-
no dude i don't have one i'm just presenting an example of hardware a la microsoft
-
Also X-box360.
-
no dude i don't have one i'm just presenting an example of hardware a la microsoft
so im not allowed to brag?
-
I guess when it comes to hardware, it's maybe okay for an iphone to crap out after a few months of usage since this is normal for pretty much all cell phones. Has more serious business-person stuff like the blackberry tended to last longer? I don't know. But if it has that doesn't matter since the iphone's main customer base is the clueless consumer.
As for computers, historically on average Apple computers have had useful lifetimes much much greater than PCs.
Currently, the Average Mac desktop and laptop costs $1000 more than the average PC desktop and laptop, but consumers on average replace PCs so much more often that it's kind of a wash.
Windows XP pro seems to work okay in my experience... It's pretty crappy overall, but at least it's kind of a consistent and stable sort of crappy. *evidence of criminal activity removed on the advice of my lawyer* What the hell am I supposed to do with those? And what do I do when I run out of space to bury the bodies that I already have collected in barrels? I've never used Vista, but I understand that it was total crap, compared to XP.
-
Ain't a thing my girlfriend can't figure out how to break, this is a good point.
I just don't like how Macs condescend to me, I guess is what it comes down to.
-
so im not allowed to brag?
not about a zune
-
Thank you, Choop, for the biggest chuckle I've had in a week.
-
amen. ive had mine for 11 months and im still trying to fill the rest of the 80g up.
Well, wouldn't that be the case for any high capacity player?
-
and how about automobiles, huh. What is up with them?
-
i know right they should work even when they're not put together
-
pfffff
-
Well, wouldn't that be the case for any high capacity player?
yeah, I was kind of thinking... I've had my 80gb iPod for a few years, and it's been full since the day I bought it! (?....!....?...?)
-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysq7mmGaWoU
-
I have to admit the idea of this thing is kind of growing on me. I've been considering getting a netbook for uni for a while, mainly for reading pdf notes and so on and this would actually work pretty well for that. I'd like to see more of the input (or any really, I haven't seen any of it) to see how easy it would be to use for short note taking.
-
I have to admit the idea of this thing is kind of growing on me. I've been considering getting a netbook for uni for a while, mainly for reading pdf notes and so on and this would actually work pretty well for that. I'd like to see more of the input (or any really, I haven't seen any of it) to see how easy it would be to use for short note taking.
Doc, as a friend I have to warn you against this machine. Every single product launch of apple has resulted with a second version that is cheaper and more functional. (I was an apple dude until I bought a PC for intensive modeling which is amazingly fast for like 1/3 the price of the mac I wanted.
-
Yeah, even if you are into the Apple thing, being an early adopter of Apple's current Next Big Thing is an invitation to the blues.
Because they sell the cache of their name and the newness of their premises, they get to sell their first models at prices way above what outside competition would bring their prices eventually down because... no one has had the time to figure out how to make the dang ol' thing in a cheaper more-efficient less-douchey way yet.
-
Oh yeah, no worries. I've been to this rodeo enough times to know not to buy the first iteration. Besides I don't have the money for it at the moment.
-
What this idea needs to do is
1) Replace textbooks
2) Replace notepads
#1 seems relatively straightforward at this point. I think what #2 will require is handwriting recognition, and something like a word processing app so you can mark up your notes, link key ideas to resources, photos, etc. I don't think the software exists to do it yet, which seems weird to me. Note taking (for me) doesn't work well with typing. I'm a fast typist - that's not the problem - but its not like dictation. Its nonlinear and associative. Its Random Access, to borrow a concept, with respect to the work surface.
-
I agree with AC there.
Like the dude was speculating in the interview I posted above, by the end of the year there may well be a web cam.
Apple price points are a form of usury.
I don't know if it's still the case, but for a while, when you priced out a macbook on the apple store web site, if you chose the black macbook instead of the white macbook, it was an extra $100. An extra $100 for the same computer with the same options, but in a different color. WTF is that?! It was pretty funny, because they had the price of this particular feature obfuscated by bundling it with other features as an "upgrade package," yet at the same time, you could independently select all the features (except the black color) of the upgrade package independently and you wound up with the exact same computer in white instead of black, for $100 less.
So is Apple withholding features on this thing? Absolutely. Is that innovation? It kind of seems like the anti-thesis to innovation.
Personally I'll wait for Google to come out with a tablet.
also, I thought that interview was pretty funny. These dudes discussing this ipad thing as if it were something, of great import. I mean, there isn't more important stuff going on in the world to talk about?
Sadly, the ipad is like... kind of a big deal, in terms of innovation. It's sad that there's only one company on the face of the earth that can innovate. WTF is up with that? I mean, Apple brought us the damn GUI for christ sakes. Since 1984 we been using Apple technology. Even if you use Windows, you're using Apple technology.
Yeah okay it was Xerox technology, but that's exactly the point I'm making here. Xerox couldn't hack it. Xerox had all this innovation handed to them on a silver platter, and Xerox execs had no idea what to do with it. There only ONE company that's ever done much in the way of innovation when it comes to the consumer experience of personal computers, and that's Apple. WTF.
-
What this idea needs to do is
1) Replace textbooks
2) Replace notepads
#1 seems relatively straightforward at this point. I think what #2 will require is handwriting recognition, and something like a word processing app so you can mark up your notes, link key ideas to resources, photos, etc. I don't think the software exists to do it yet, which seems weird to me. Note taking (for me) doesn't work well with typing. I'm a fast typist - that's not the problem - but its not like dictation. Its nonlinear and associative. Its Random Access, to borrow a concept, with respect to the work surface.
As for 2, I know people who annotate their pdf notes at uni on their laptops and you can draw onto them, put a tablet into the mix and that's as good as paper note taking. I haven't seen writing on a tablet that was decent enough resolution to actually replace pen and paper though.
But yeah, this is basically what I'd want to see it used for.
-
I put hands on one yesterday. The screen is prettier than what was in my head. Crisp, deep colors.
It doesn't solve any life problems for me though, that exist between my cellphone and a laptop.
-
http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/05/trouble-in-paradise-ipad-users-complain-of-wifi-issues/
How much more cadmium and lithium and petroleum and this and that and carbon and carbon and
does the world need?
can the world sustain?
If we were trying to conserve resources, we might have less redundancy.. e.g. there might be a simple cell-phone add-on card for your ipad, complete with bluetooth speaker/receiver because obviously who wants to hold an ipad to their face while talking or driving. But, the free market doesn't make any money unless you've got resources to burn, unless you and the spouse work 40+ hours a week to get those resources. So what will the free market continue to produce? Lots of redundant and proprietary cheap plastic crap. The ipad is great and everything, but, it's not a trinket. It's $500 friggin dollars, and it's going to wear out in a matter of years, and you're going to want a new one sooner than that. That $500 recurring payment would be better spent doing something about all the pain and suffering that the world is soon to see from the impending population crisis, let alone all the pain and suffering death and destruction that the world already experiences, much of it in the supply of raw materials for those iPads. Oh, but you can check your e-mail while lying on your back now, whereas before you used to have to walk over to your laptop sitting on the kitchen table.
-
Perhaps if we wring our hands faster and more earnestly things will improve.
-
Advocating doing something is more than you're doing with your above post. It's perhaps revealing that when confronted with the very idea of doing something, you resort to that tried and true fallacy of reasoning cop out of circumventing any possible credibility the idea may have by attacking instead the credibility of the speaker.
-
Smug self-satisfaction will save us all!
-
Smug self-satisfaction?
Crap.
I've been running the "using reverse-psychology on divinity" long-con for years.
So many wasted years...
-
Smug self-satisfaction?
Crap.
I've been running the "using reverse-psychology on divinity" long-con for years.
So many wasted years...
Yeah, I tried that for a while. Then I went with "bemused neglect" for a couple year. Turns out the solution was there all along, just staring us in the eye (with an obnoxious little smirk on its face).
-
You guys are assholes. I don't expect you to be ashamed of yourselves, but I'm surprised there isn't at least one decent regular on this board to call you out. ching chong wing wong dummy? If that isn't smug self-satisfaction I don't know what is.
Well excuse me for expressing the idea that aspects of your culture are less than ideal. That will happen once in a while in this world, you know. Your reaction to it is pathetic. I guess it's no accident that your culture has some of the issues that it has.
It's not you guys being rude assholes that offends me. It's your ignorance.
If a simple and straightforward criticism of some aspect of your culture automatically registers in your mind as smug self-satisfaction, and your initial reflex is to denegrate the speaker, then you might be just another dumbass American.
-
Funny, the post that spurred that pap was written by a guy who, as Lecturing Knight (the motto of which is Brotherly Love) and head of community service and lodge activities committees is going to run thousands of dollars and hours of charitable contributions into his community this year.
man, you sure do love talking about this shit. also, I don't see how his post had anything to do with your post. I think it is reasonable to say "maybe the iPad is a huge waste of energy and resources." that is probably a true thing. that has nothing to do with your charity-doing whatever.
I also don't think "ching chong wing wong dummy" is smug self-satisfaction. It doesn't even make any damn sense.
-
In short, though, I don't need no damn iPad.
I got too many shiny distractions.
Ain't nothing you can do on an iPad that ain't cheaper and easier to do split out over three or four other devices that I've already paid for.
-
If a simple and straightforward criticism of some aspect of your culture automatically registers in your mind as smug self-satisfaction, and your initial reflex is to denegrate the speaker, then you might be just another dumbass American.
youre a dumbass american because you speak of "your culture" as if youre so far removed from it. getting ass-hurt because of opinions? come back to the internet when you get a stronger, more legitimate sense of self-worth. your cocky, more-charitable-and-sensitive-than-thou attitude is lame, dogg.
-
(http://puppydogweb.com/gallery/pugs/pug_beckett1.jpg)
-
(http://www.funnyfidos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/funny-dog-pug-bug1.jpg)
-
You guys are assholes.
Yeah, and...
So, the subtle method doesn't seem to be working. I guess you need it spelled out for you.
Look, this is a message board where we talk about cartoon cats. You know nothing about how I feel about the issues you've brought up because I haven't chosen to share that with you. There are myriad places on the internet to discuss the sorts of issues you seem to want to discuss. Generally that's not what we do here.
This is not a serious place. Go be serious somewhere else.
-
Choop, that is like the neutron bomb of cute pug pictures.
-
so where are you serious on the internet August West, so I can go hound you there?
-
Get a room, you guys.
-
so where are you serious on the internet August West, so I can go hound you there?
That would be telling.
-
Get a room, you guys.
That's right y'all don't be arguin and carrin on about yer intalektual airs round here it's unseemly is what it is
no, I don't believe that you all don't discuss this sort of serious stuff around here. You do from time to time. You're just all assholes who are really set in your particular world views, and you don't want to open yourselves up to any kind of of criticism or even different ways of thinking. And you got the group a regulars here, Jayell and whatnot, and you all support each other in your bid to maintain a clique of isolated and hillbilly ignorance in your world view. No offense meant to hillbillys.
Sorry if my original post didn't come across as licking your vag1nas just the right way.
-
it's too bad the internet is so small that this is the only place to visit
(http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/dogs/anonymous/spanky_pug04.jpg_w450.jpg)
-
Try the Homestar Runner message board, they have lots of thoughtful, nuanced discussions there.
-
I'm partial to the ebaumsworld forum, myself.
-
This thread's making the inside of my monitor all messy.
http://www.raincitystory.com/flash/screenclean.swf
-
This thread's making the inside of my monitor all messy.
http://www.raincitystory.com/flash/screenclean.swf
Victoria, marry me, we can run away together and raise the wild pugs of the daintree.
-
some pug diversity for our culturally sensitive friend:
(http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/media/dogs/anonymous/pepper_pug2.jpg_w450.jpg)
-
This thread's making the inside of my monitor all messy.
http://www.raincitystory.com/flash/screenclean.swf
Best pug post ever.
-
(http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/dis-how-u-replace-meh-pug-cute-puppy-loldog.jpg)
-
I agre with Linear,.#;@
-
I agre with Linear,.#;@
Kiss ass.
-
so where are you serious on the internet August West, so I can go hound you there?
You know what? I've reconsidered. If you are so desirous of having a serious conversation with me (though I can't imagine why) why should I be disobliging?
Start a new thread. We'll converse.
-
You know what? I've reconsidered. If you are so desirous of having a serious conversation with me (though I can't imagine why) why should I be disobliging?
Start a new thread. We'll converse.
That would be what I meant by "get a room."
By all means, have your sloppy intellectual makeouts. Just keep them all in one place, so I can videotape avoid them.
-
That would be what I meant by "get a room."
With you, my dear? Anytime...
/leers, waggles eyebrows like Groucho.
-
With you, my dear? Anytime...
/leers, waggles eyebrows like Groucho.
*faints*
-
well thanks I appreciate your being open to the prospect of my being open to the prospect of being open
but I think this thread is a good one you'll see why in a minute
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine
connections man I just like well did you ever wonder what it would be like to be deaf not just you but if everyone was deaf? Or if everyone only used ipads and the ipads had wifi connections with a 5 mile radius? They could have a CB radio app.
Serious conversation... eh.. or non-serious for that matter.. it's just a matter of connections. Some people use their ipads and are happy with them. Some people don't buy an ipad because they know a better version is coming out probably pretty soon. I'm finding myself in that latter group lately. Why try to form serious connections with people when the hardware/software is going to be so much better for it in a few years or even months?
I used to be happy with this reality. but after you've seen the future, you don't want to go back.
You know what? I've reconsidered. If you are so desirous of having a serious conversation with me (though I can't imagine why) why should I be disobliging?
Start a new thread. We'll converse.
-
well thanks I appreciate your being open to the prospect of my being open to the prospect of being open
but I think this thread is a good one you'll see why in a minute
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine
connections man I just like well did you ever wonder what it would be like to be deaf not just you but if everyone was deaf? Or if everyone only used ipads and the ipads had wifi connections with a 5 mile radius? They could have a CB radio app.
Serious conversation... eh.. or non-serious for that matter.. it's just a matter of connections. Some people use their ipads and are happy with them. Some people don't buy an ipad because they know a better version is coming out probably pretty soon. I'm finding myself in that latter group lately. Why try to form serious connections with people when the hardware/software is going to be so much better for it in a few years or even months?
I used to be happy with this reality. but after you've seen the future, you don't want to go back.
(http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s238/bradly2795/lol_wut.jpg)