The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on February 01, 2010, 02:04:00 am

Title: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: wombat on February 01, 2010, 02:04:00 am
O ye of little faith.
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01312010 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01312010)

"Dirt ain't exactly nature's choosiest substance when it comes to havin' recently been other stuff" was my first choice but it's too long.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: robot_god on February 01, 2010, 02:15:32 am
A good strip, but like Ray, I just got a great idea out of this hastily documented buggary: we should only read one panel per day, and make a thread based on that.  This strip could have lasted like almost two weeks, and would have killed.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: AugustWest on February 01, 2010, 02:15:51 am
Check out Pat all being like Pat and Ray all being Ray-like!
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 01, 2010, 02:17:25 am
I am... stuck here on whether that was a really oblique reference to THE BIG CHILL or not wherein Jeff Goldblum plays a dude who is marked as a sell-out because he writes Pleasant Topics  for "People" magazine.

I am also stuck on the idea of whether this is "nine days funny" or not. It might well be funny enough for "one day funny" but...

Oh man, we're back to debating how much analysis of the creative process has to do with appreciating the work, huh?

(However: "Vince from Spain" is a great comedy name for a clothing designer.)
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: Mr Trout on February 01, 2010, 02:21:28 am
Many great lines in this one, and I like the classic "Ray writing in his diary" ending panel.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: theinevitable on February 01, 2010, 02:26:39 am
Man.

The thing is, Pat is right. Having worked someplace where we composted, you have to follow a system or else you just end up with... disgusting rotting food.
I mean, sure, it will eventually turn to dirt, but not in a very pleasant way.
My friend still talks about the day she volunteered for "garden duty" which ended up being emptying out shovelful after shovelful of rotting food and maggots out of our old compost pile, which people had not been using properly.

Ray is showing a kind of rage that I sometimes feel, though, where it's like... I am trying, this should be easy, I should be able to do this in this way and have it work. I should be able to do this one stupid thing and be a hero.
But that isn't how life works, Ray. It is too bad that you can't just put the dishes in the dishwasher with crusted-on ketchup, because goddamnit why do we have a fuck*ng dishwasher if it can't clean a plate, but like... being really mad that it is stupid doesn't mean it will start working due to your stubbornness.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 01, 2010, 02:34:22 am
But on the next level, Dan, there's the simple fact that in a lot of situations... especially urban situations where neither talking cat is actually going to be growing much of his own food... where composting is just a wank to feel like you're Making A Difference and whether you get it wrong or get it right, it kind of doesn't even matter. Right or wrong, it doesn't really accomplish all that much, either way.

I think this is more of what the comedy is getting at.

Both of them are ridiculous, kinda.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: Cioran on February 01, 2010, 02:46:02 am
g "vince of spain

result: COMEDY

http://trifoiler.forum-free.org/trifoiler-for-sale-f3/trifoiler-in-madrid-9500-euros-t5.htm

Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: theinevitable on February 01, 2010, 02:49:22 am
I hate that attitude, hate it to hell.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: oball on February 01, 2010, 02:54:27 am
I am also stuck on the idea of whether this is "nine days funny" or not. It might well be funny enough for "one day funny" but...

Me, I just read the comic when there is a comic and if it is funny I laugh.  If there is a week without comic, so it goes.

This was funny.  I laughed.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: CortJstr on February 01, 2010, 03:23:34 am
Many great lines in this one, and I like the classic "Ray writing in his diary" ending panel.

You can tell it's his diary because he isn't wearing his blogging crown. Plus he says "dear diary."

I'm now considering anything I don't agree with to be "an affront to the dignity of [topic]!"
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: Choop on February 01, 2010, 04:21:39 am
Many great lines in this one, and I like the classic "Ray writing in his diary" ending panel.

all doogie howser music playing in the background
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 01, 2010, 04:32:23 am
But on the next level, Dan, there's the simple fact that in a lot of situations... especially urban situations where neither talking cat is actually going to be growing much of his own food... where composting is just a wank to feel like you're Making A Difference and whether you get it wrong or get it right, it kind of doesn't even matter. Right or wrong, it doesn't really accomplish all that much, either way.

I think this is more of what the comedy is getting at.

Both of them are ridiculous, kinda.
I'm not too experienced with compost. My dad has a compost pile at his house. And once upon a time my mom had a compost pile at hers. However, it strikes me that stinking, rotting food is not really what you're going for. Whether you're growing food or not, your neighbors are not going to appreciate a compost pile that stinks (and I don't think they need to stink). My understanding is that you really do not want animal products--especially meat--in the mix. I know that there are ratios and such involved in making nice soil, but I think the main think is to avoid bad smell and rats.

Also, my understanding is that there is not enough air and water in most landfills for even organic waste (organic in the carbon sense) to decompose in a timely manner. As such, the composter is Making A Difference in regards to their environmental impact. Sure, there is probably ego involved, but there is ego involved in most anything.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: Cioran on February 01, 2010, 04:40:01 am
Why not let the rats eat.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on February 01, 2010, 04:51:39 am
I've composted exactly like Ray is composting and it worked just fine.  There is going to be a transitional period between last nights dinner scraps and next years potting soil, that it inevitable.  But it's gonna happen, trust me.  I dare you to try and stop it from happening.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: oball on February 01, 2010, 04:53:50 am
Why not let the rats eat.

Because then you get cats coming in to eat the rats and coyotes coming to eat the cats and before you know it you are standing on top of the compost heap fighting bears with a rake.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: Toaster on February 01, 2010, 06:09:16 am
Man, fuck not having an ego about shit. Fuck that to Hell.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: jaydub on February 01, 2010, 06:30:21 am
I'm pretty sure the correct title was "A poorly thought out phone call."  But I will defer to the wisdom of my betters.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 01, 2010, 06:33:11 am
Because then you get cats coming in to eat the rats and coyotes coming to eat the cats and before you know it you are standing on top of the compost heap fighting bears with a rake.

fuck yeah.  this.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: Doc on February 01, 2010, 08:32:14 am
I'm down with y'all about compost but I'm amazed no one else has liked 'ultra-local micro-crops' yet.
That's just an excellent phrase.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: wombat on February 01, 2010, 02:03:46 pm
I'm pretty sure the correct title was "A poorly thought out phone call."  But I will defer to the wisdom of my betters.

Well, that wouldn't have distinguished it from probably almost every phone call Ray has ever made.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: AugustWest on February 01, 2010, 03:00:59 pm
We've composted for years using the Smuckles/McRae plan.  No bears yet.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: TedStriker on February 01, 2010, 03:19:42 pm
I felt bad for the dirt that got yelled at.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 01, 2010, 05:22:30 pm
what we need now is a special compost heap for scared dirt.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: CortJstr on February 01, 2010, 06:15:07 pm
Because then you get cats coming in to eat the rats and coyotes coming to eat the cats and before you know it you are standing on top of the compost heap fighting bears with a rake.

I'm now picturing oball's pig avatar using a rake to sword fight with Steve from Daisy Own on top of a trash heap. Perhaps th sentient trash-heap from Fraggle Rock.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: jaydub on February 01, 2010, 06:35:50 pm
I just noticed on re-reading that there is a continues note.   :)
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: Dangermoose on February 01, 2010, 06:58:01 pm
Is it bad if your compost gets maggots?  Mine did and lordy it was gross ... but then a couple weeks later they were gone, but my yard didn't seem to have any more flies than usual at the height of summer, and they had turned a bunch of old fruit into nice black poop.  Which I thought was the point of the whole thing.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 02, 2010, 03:39:08 pm
Yeah, my compost got hell of maggots this year, but it didn't seem to be a problem when dumping it on the garden in the late fall.

I am trying to stir that thing more often, and add more leaves.  But when it's ridiculously cold like it is right now, it's hard to motivate myself to go out back and dig in the compost bin.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 02, 2010, 03:42:09 pm
im sure the baby fly worms are perfect for providing nutrients for dirt and plants.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: theinevitable on February 03, 2010, 10:34:26 pm
I guess the main problem with having maggots was that our base-camp smelled like rotting flesh and maggots. this compost pile was serving over 100 people, so it got pretty rancid pretty fast when we weren't being careful about what we put in.
Which is kind of a problem when you are trying to teach kids that composting and gardening are fun.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on February 03, 2010, 10:45:37 pm
Welp, I'm off to a composting seminar.  Seriously.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: side_show on February 03, 2010, 10:59:32 pm
I compost.  There is nothing like opening up my composter, in the middle of the Canadian winter, and seeing the steam rising off of it.  It's all like "Fuck yeah!  I am composting, and I am doing it right, mutha fucka!"  Who knew rotting vegitation could be so damn satifying.

Also, at the University I used to work at, the compost program accepted all food waste, including meat and dairy, which was just disgusting to me...  What the hell?  I don't want to be any where near where they process that stuff.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 04, 2010, 04:23:03 am
I think you can compost meat and dairy as long as there's a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of plant material in there. 

In "The Omnivore's Dilemma," at Joel Salatin's farm they compost the blood of slaughtered chickens, by mixing it with a crapload of sawdust from their milling operation.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: theinevitable on February 04, 2010, 05:22:12 am
Salatin is probably the coolest person ever. SO COOL.
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: pmcd9 on February 04, 2010, 10:03:19 pm
Ray's Compost Heap (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4331226576/).
Title: Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
Post by: Dangermoose on February 04, 2010, 11:25:42 pm
I didn't even put meat or cheese in to get maggots.  The maggots were just like, "So what if an overrripe melon is food?  I ain't buggin."

A fly lays an egg.  Dirt is born.