Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010  (Read 7018 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« on: February 01, 2010, 02:04:00 am »

O ye of little faith.
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01312010

"Dirt ain't exactly nature's choosiest substance when it comes to havin' recently been other stuff" was my first choice but it's too long.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:15:32 am »

A good strip, but like Ray, I just got a great idea out of this hastily documented buggary: we should only read one panel per day, and make a thread based on that.  This strip could have lasted like almost two weeks, and would have killed.
Logged
ACHIEVE

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 02:15:51 am »

Check out Pat all being like Pat and Ray all being Ray-like!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 02:17:25 am »

I am... stuck here on whether that was a really oblique reference to THE BIG CHILL or not wherein Jeff Goldblum plays a dude who is marked as a sell-out because he writes Pleasant Topics  for "People" magazine.

I am also stuck on the idea of whether this is "nine days funny" or not. It might well be funny enough for "one day funny" but...

Oh man, we're back to debating how much analysis of the creative process has to do with appreciating the work, huh?

(However: "Vince from Spain" is a great comedy name for a clothing designer.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 02:21:28 am »

Many great lines in this one, and I like the classic "Ray writing in his diary" ending panel.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 02:26:39 am »

Man.

The thing is, Pat is right. Having worked someplace where we composted, you have to follow a system or else you just end up with... disgusting rotting food.
I mean, sure, it will eventually turn to dirt, but not in a very pleasant way.
My friend still talks about the day she volunteered for "garden duty" which ended up being emptying out shovelful after shovelful of rotting food and maggots out of our old compost pile, which people had not been using properly.

Ray is showing a kind of rage that I sometimes feel, though, where it's like... I am trying, this should be easy, I should be able to do this in this way and have it work. I should be able to do this one stupid thing and be a hero.
But that isn't how life works, Ray. It is too bad that you can't just put the dishes in the dishwasher with crusted-on ketchup, because goddamnit why do we have a fuck*ng dishwasher if it can't clean a plate, but like... being really mad that it is stupid doesn't mean it will start working due to your stubbornness.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:34:22 am »

But on the next level, Dan, there's the simple fact that in a lot of situations... especially urban situations where neither talking cat is actually going to be growing much of his own food... where composting is just a wank to feel like you're Making A Difference and whether you get it wrong or get it right, it kind of doesn't even matter. Right or wrong, it doesn't really accomplish all that much, either way.

I think this is more of what the comedy is getting at.

Both of them are ridiculous, kinda.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 02:49:22 am »

I hate that attitude, hate it to hell.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 02:54:27 am »

I am also stuck on the idea of whether this is "nine days funny" or not. It might well be funny enough for "one day funny" but...

Me, I just read the comic when there is a comic and if it is funny I laugh.  If there is a week without comic, so it goes.

This was funny.  I laughed.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 03:23:34 am »

Many great lines in this one, and I like the classic "Ray writing in his diary" ending panel.

You can tell it's his diary because he isn't wearing his blogging crown. Plus he says "dear diary."

I'm now considering anything I don't agree with to be "an affront to the dignity of [topic]!"
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 04:21:39 am »

Many great lines in this one, and I like the classic "Ray writing in his diary" ending panel.

all doogie howser music playing in the background
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 04:32:23 am »

But on the next level, Dan, there's the simple fact that in a lot of situations... especially urban situations where neither talking cat is actually going to be growing much of his own food... where composting is just a wank to feel like you're Making A Difference and whether you get it wrong or get it right, it kind of doesn't even matter. Right or wrong, it doesn't really accomplish all that much, either way.

I think this is more of what the comedy is getting at.

Both of them are ridiculous, kinda.
I'm not too experienced with compost. My dad has a compost pile at his house. And once upon a time my mom had a compost pile at hers. However, it strikes me that stinking, rotting food is not really what you're going for. Whether you're growing food or not, your neighbors are not going to appreciate a compost pile that stinks (and I don't think they need to stink). My understanding is that you really do not want animal products--especially meat--in the mix. I know that there are ratios and such involved in making nice soil, but I think the main think is to avoid bad smell and rats.

Also, my understanding is that there is not enough air and water in most landfills for even organic waste (organic in the carbon sense) to decompose in a timely manner. As such, the composter is Making A Difference in regards to their environmental impact. Sure, there is probably ego involved, but there is ego involved in most anything.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Cioran

  • Guest
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 04:40:01 am »

Why not let the rats eat.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: They get all rotty. A fly has a baby. Dirt is born. Jan. 31 2010
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 04:51:39 am »

I've composted exactly like Ray is composting and it worked just fine.  There is going to be a transitional period between last nights dinner scraps and next years potting soil, that it inevitable.  But it's gonna happen, trust me.  I dare you to try and stop it from happening.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up