The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: TedStriker on February 02, 2010, 02:16:25 pm

Title: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: TedStriker on February 02, 2010, 02:16:25 pm
A seven dollar potato?  (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02022010)  Outrageous!

Ray wakes up in the morning and kicks hundred thousand dollar ideas out of bed.  Only millions for this cat.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: CortJstr on February 02, 2010, 02:37:47 pm
I would buy the regular apple on the assumption there is nothing I could possibly do to make the pretty girl interested in me.

Scratch that, I'd buy my apple at the farmers' market like a real man.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 02, 2010, 02:48:43 pm
You have to keep your eye on that Mackey character.

Quote
For about eight years until last August, the company confirms, Mr. Mackey posted numerous messages on Yahoo Finance stock forums as Rahodeb. It's an anagram of Deborah, Mr. Mackey's wife's name. Rahodeb cheered Whole Foods' financial results, trumpeted his gains on the stock and bashed Wild Oats. Rahodeb even defended Mr. Mackey's haircut when another user poked fun at a photo in the annual report. "I like Mackey's haircut," Rahodeb said. "I think he looks cute!"

http://www.smartmoney.com/breaking-news/smw/?story=20070712105705
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: wombat on February 02, 2010, 03:24:20 pm
Ray is a genius.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 02, 2010, 03:39:04 pm
how much of pats money is this guy gonna get?

...wait, pat hates whole foods, nevermind.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 02, 2010, 05:46:53 pm
Do Catholics even do plenary indulgences anymore?

Or did they phase that out in favor of child molestation?


Maybe we should bring them back and call them "Sin credits." I am "Sin neutral."
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 02, 2010, 06:10:43 pm
"Talked to apples" are Veblen goods. Wham. 'goods' trifecta before 1:30.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Chump Change on February 02, 2010, 07:19:50 pm
Two updates in three days?

How am I supposed to keep my personal text up to date
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Toaster on February 03, 2010, 12:00:50 am
Man, everybody's got a thing. Some people blow their money on sexy things, some people blow their money on drugs. Some people blow their money on art. Some people blow their money on really specifically-cultivated food. Me, I've got a weakness for well-made material objects. All leather-bound hardcover books, all die-cast metal transforming *****s, oh yes sir.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 03, 2010, 07:26:03 am
Drugs, guitar pedals and organic staple foods for me.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 03, 2010, 08:33:52 am
translation of this strip:

"BirkenSTOCKS? More like BirkenSUCKS!"
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: milhouse on February 03, 2010, 05:46:23 pm
Drugs, guitar pedals and organic staple foods for me.

Wise choices, my friend. I'd subscribe to your newsletter.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: theinevitable on February 03, 2010, 10:17:54 pm
Thinking about it more, catholic indulgences are a pretty crappy metaphor.
is donating to charity a bad thing if you are doing it because it makes you feel good? no. feeling good is your brain's reward for doing something good.
maybe some sort of metaphor to a thing where people think they are doing good, and in theory the thing is good, but because of the way the government has defined this label it is basically meaningless and may actually be worse for the world than the thing you think you're getting, so you are doing something good for a good reason but maybe it is not as good for the world as you want it to be.

I can't think of a comparison other than  "mass produced organic food in the late 20th/early 21st century."

maybe donating to a charity that doesn't really help people that much. one where the idea is good, but they are kind of going about it in a wrong-headed way.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 03, 2010, 10:27:39 pm
maybe donating to a charity that doesn't really help people that much. one where the idea is good, but they are kind of going about it in a wrong-headed way.
You mean like how people who boycott 'sweatshop' products actually contribute to the unemployment and underdevelopment of the people they are trying to help? /troll
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: theinevitable on February 03, 2010, 10:31:56 pm
I was thinking about this exact thing yesterday, and there is a fallacy in there, but I could not quite decide what it is.

1. when confronted with falling sales, are, say, Nike going to just sit there scratching their asses until they go out of business and have to close all their factories? this seems unlikely.

there is also a thing going on here of... "it is OK when I use my money to buy an Escalade, because it makes me feel good, but it is not OK when you use your money to buy organic food, because you're just LORDING YOUR MONEY OVER US."

Like, the guy with an Escalade accusing someone of elitism is pretty goofy.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 03, 2010, 11:07:20 pm
As a cost minimizing, profit maximizing entity, they cut costs (labor) assuming they have already found the optimal price point. There is no accounting method to recognize lost potential revenue because of moral objections to their production methods. This is an observable phenomenon, not a philosophical question. Studies have found that in cases where protests and political pressures succeed in closing these factories, the result is decreased wages, increased unemployment, and increased prostitution.
Its just one of those things where we all wish we were in a world where this was not the case, pressures to close swatshops are from people wishing to do good, but instead have negative effects.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Doc on February 03, 2010, 11:41:30 pm
A business will lower prices because consumers won't buy their products, effectively in that case the consumer is saying 'No I won't buy this because it is too expensive'. I don't see why it shouldn't able to work in the other direction with consumers saying 'I won't buy this because it isn't expensive enough and that extra money should be going to your employees.' I admit that's a much more complicated equation to balance since not all customers are willing to pay more for a moral issue and you'd have to figure out which group is more profitable to satisfy but I can't understand why one way is the way business works and the other isn't since it just seems like the same force going in different directions to me.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: theinevitable on February 04, 2010, 12:02:01 am
there's only one solution I can see:

MASSIVE, OVERARCHING GOVERNMENT REGULATION.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 04, 2010, 12:07:49 am
... you'd have to figure out which group is more profitable to satisfy
They already have.
... but I can't understand why one way is the way business works and the other isn't since it just seems like the same force going in different directions to me.
Ive heard this suggestion before, you essentially want to tip the worker to help them out. A supply chain is a series of costs that terminate at the consumer. Its not set up where you can push money from the consumer up the chain to the factory worker. Like you can tip a waitress for good service, but not a farmer for growing a really good salad you had at the restaurant.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Doc on February 04, 2010, 12:20:45 am
Ive heard this suggestion before, you essentially want to tip the worker to help them out. A supply chain is a series of costs that terminate at the consumer. Its not set up where you can push money from the consumer up the chain to the factory worker. Like you can tip a waitress for good service, but not a farmer for growing a really good salad you had at the restaurant.

But businesses will change their model if they think it will be more profitable. I don't know about over there but, as a big example, McDonalds over here makes a big deal in all it's advertising that they use '100% Australian Beef', that's something they do to appeal to a certain part of their consumer base which they've obviously decided will generate them more profit than sourcing their beef elsewhere. I don't see how that's fundamentally different to some company advertising as 'All employees paid a socially responsible wage' or some other nonsense. They're both choosing to incur a greater expense at one end of the chain because they have decided it will ultimately net them greater profits.
I'm not saying it's practical on a large scale since I don't think that many people base their shopping on social responsibility or whatever but there are certainly smaller operations that  do it, all those 'free trade' brands for example. Basically I don't see what is invalid about a consumer saying 'I don't wish to deal with you because I don't like this about your product.' The fact that what they like is an aspect of the manufacturing process and not inherent to the product itself doesn't seem relevant, it's just a matter of there being enough people who want a particular thing to make it worthwhile for the business to change their practice.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: theinevitable on February 04, 2010, 12:22:44 am
see also: American Apparel. sweatshop free.

also: contest to find america's best hipster ass. (http://i.americanapparel.net/storefront/UGCStyle/BestBottom2010/browse.asp?p=1)
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Doc on February 04, 2010, 12:24:24 am
They already have.

I guess this is the real point, the 'socially responsible' demographic isn't profitable at this point, which is fine. I'm just arguing that the flaw is in lack of numbers, not a fundamental flaw in the idea of boycotting a place which is just a way of trying to artificially create market pressure (is that the right term?).
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: theinevitable on February 04, 2010, 12:33:11 am
also:

when people don't buy products because they think the product is shitty, don't companies figure out how to improve those products?

what do the companies do after they shut down these sweatshops due to political pressure? have no factories, or open non-sweatshop factories?
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Toaster on February 04, 2010, 01:26:35 am
also: contest to find america's best hipster ass. (http://i.americanapparel.net/storefront/UGCStyle/BestBottom2010/browse.asp?p=1)

Oh my gods. OH MY GODS.

You get a can.

FOR THOSE CANS.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 04, 2010, 01:27:20 am
TT is now about hipster asses.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Toaster on February 04, 2010, 01:29:27 am
I know girls who have nice asses! And they are hipsters. Maybe they will do this?

#ifeeldirtyandilikeit
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: AugustWest on February 04, 2010, 01:48:53 am
see also: American Apparel. sweatshop free.

also: contest to find america's best hipster ass. (http://i.americanapparel.net/storefront/UGCStyle/BestBottom2010/browse.asp?p=1)

Best. Link. EVAR.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 04, 2010, 02:02:14 am
2 Grand Prize Winners will receive the following:
(i) Roundtrip coach airfare from the major airport nearest the winner's home to Los Angeles, California for a stay of 3 days/2 nights with standard room hotel accommodations (double occupancy) at the Standard Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles (or a similar accommodation) and ground transportation to and from the airport in Los Angeles. All other expenses, including without limitation, local transportation and meals, are the sole obligation of the Grand Prize Winner.
(ii) a photo shoot.
(iii) panty grab bag.

They really went all out on this one. Talk about a sweatshop amirite!
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Doc on February 04, 2010, 02:05:06 am
(iii) panty grab bag.

That phrase troubles in a way I can't quite express.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Toaster on February 04, 2010, 02:07:59 am
Wait, if I'm reading this right: There are gonna be two winners, and they are gonna share the same room? Hot!

Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 04, 2010, 02:26:53 am
Is American Apparel the one that does all the ads on the back-covers of "alt-weeklies" with the disturbingly-close-to-jail-bait girls?

Or am I just old now?
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: miles on February 04, 2010, 02:44:45 am
Is American Apparel the one that does all the ads on the back-covers of "alt-weeklies" with the disturbingly-close-to-jail-bait girls?

Yes. Although it seems that recently the models are more woman like. But I'm too fat to wear that stuff anyway.

also: contest to find america's best hipster ass. (http://i.americanapparel.net/storefront/UGCStyle/BestBottom2010/browse.asp?p=1)

See, those aren't hipster asses. You can't just take a lady with a beautifully round ass and throw on a pair of tube sucks up to her pu$$y and call it a hipster ass.

I'm not complaining about the link, though. Thank Jesus for that link.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2010, 03:25:51 am
I don't like the trend towards bubble-butts. I prefer a little more ass-thleticism in a hindside.

Most of those hineys look like nippleless boobs. Which, I suppose, could have its advantages, but it just reminds me of the old joke:

How do you make five pounds of fat look good?

Put a nipple on it, of course.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 04, 2010, 03:29:09 am
I feel the need to defend the honour of bubble butts.

Oh man.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: wombat on February 04, 2010, 03:40:12 am
Is American Apparel the one that does all the ads on the back-covers of "alt-weeklies" with the disturbingly-close-to-jail-bait girls?

Or am I just old now?

They're the ones with the models that look like anorexic drug addicts, or children with the flu. I'm pretty sure I didn't find that look appealing even when I was young.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Toaster on February 04, 2010, 03:46:47 am
I don't understand what a "bubble butt" is. Internet research yields contradictory and mutually exclusive definitions. Also, pictures of butts.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 04, 2010, 03:54:20 am
A noticeably plump rump on an otherwise non-plump frame.

Some misunderstand this to be a comparison to the shape of a soap "bubble" when it is actually a comparison to the "bubbles" of quantum foam that are theorized to be the basis of all stable universes. This is because there would be no value in the universe if not for bubble butts.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Drygioni on February 04, 2010, 01:46:29 pm
Some misunderstand this to be a comparison to the shape of a soap "bubble" when it is actually a comparison to the "bubbles" of quantum foam that are theorized to be the basis of all stable universes. This is because there would be no value in the universe if not for bubble butts.

That is fantastic
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 04, 2010, 08:57:05 pm
my attention is more easily drawn to lady backyards that are large AND round, but quality is more important than quantity.  if i have a choice, i at least want enough to grab a hold of.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: theinevitable on February 04, 2010, 09:05:30 pm
otherwise small women with large bottoms FTW.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Lister on February 04, 2010, 11:20:50 pm
I think this thread just turned into a rap song.

Which is awesome.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: CortesDiddy on August 22, 2012, 05:20:49 am
I really have a thing for girls with petite T/ thick A

somebody's going to crack a joke at me for bumping this, and I'll just sit here bein' correct, and they'll be wrong.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: theinevitable on August 22, 2012, 05:45:06 am
It is interesting that this thread get bumped at this time of my life. I think I am realizing that I haven't met a butt I didn't like. But a bubble butt keeps you warm at night like nothing else can.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: jay-ell on August 22, 2012, 06:23:02 pm
I've said it once, I'll say it again: Firm butt, bouncy boobs FTW.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 22, 2012, 08:57:55 pm
I've said it once and I'll say it again: A girl with small boobs hugs you closer to her heart. Butts should only be a size necessary for spooning.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 22, 2012, 11:01:22 pm
I am firmly in the camp that appreciates all female secondary sexual characteristics and enjoys them to all reasonable levels of abundance.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: jaydub on August 23, 2012, 02:36:10 am
LFM is just happy to be there.
Title: Re: Whiny Vassar Midget Minute - Feb 2, 2010
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 23, 2012, 03:27:32 am
Yes. EXACTLY.

It is an honour just to be nominated!