The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Lister on February 21, 2010, 10:49:17 am

Title: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: Lister on February 21, 2010, 10:49:17 am
So I'm taking my first extended non-holiday related vacation in April, but I don't yet know where I want to go.  So far all I've been able to figure out is this:


So... yeah.  I'm not really sure where that is.  Maybe a ski cabin at a place where the season ends early?  Just throw out suggestions.  It doesn't even have to conform to all of the list of rules.  I'm just looking for someplace to relax, mainly, so "attractions" don't matter a whole lot.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: theinevitable on February 21, 2010, 08:33:13 pm
come chill in St Louis, we will get beers. perfect vacation.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: wombat on February 21, 2010, 09:07:17 pm
A week in San Diego sounds so fantastic to me right now, I can't think of anyplace it would make sense to leave there to go.

Maybe go see the bison on Catalina Island and pretend you're in one of those national parks in cold places where they really live?
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 21, 2010, 10:16:32 pm
A week in San Diego sounds so fantastic to me right now, I can't think of anyplace it would make sense to leave there to go.

i will be returning my plane tickets to a garden paradise :(
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 21, 2010, 10:52:01 pm
So I'm taking my first extended non-holiday related vacation in April, but I don't yet know where I want to go.  So far all I've been able to figure out is this:

  • It should be easy to get to.  If it's not driving distance from San Diego I probably won't want to need a rental car when I get there.
  • It shouldn't have something going on that attracts crowds, and shouldn't be a spring break destination.
  • I may want to spend a good deal of the time there without interacting with people.
  • I prefer cold weather to hot.

So... yeah.  I'm not really sure where that is.  Maybe a ski cabin at a place where the season ends early?  Just throw out suggestions.  It doesn't even have to conform to all of the list of rules.  I'm just looking for someplace to relax, mainly, so "attractions" don't matter a whole lot.
Need anyone to house sit?
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: linnea on February 22, 2010, 12:06:35 am
ive got my plane tickets already.  will spend 5/3-5/10 in a garden paradise.

I'll be in San Diego this July for a week. I'm so excited. I enjoy warm weather though.

Lister, I would go stay at a B&B. You can negotiate really great rates and a nice room if you stay for more than a few days. If you like cold places I think you should go for someplace in Alaska in April. As long as you're not at a ski resort like Girdwood you should be able to find decent rates.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: AugustWest on February 22, 2010, 12:59:34 am
The library?
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 22, 2010, 03:46:22 am
You might like Seattle.  Plenty going on in town, but you can also take ferries here and there across the Sound.  Probably some good outdoorsy stuff not that far away.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: CortJstr on February 22, 2010, 01:41:55 pm
As one who doesn't vacation I'll be of no help. All I can think is Cherry Blossom Festival? But that tends to attract hell of people.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: Drygioni on February 22, 2010, 02:09:12 pm
Come to Britain! Why not?
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: wombat on February 22, 2010, 06:11:17 pm
OK, a week in Santa Barbara sounds even better than a week in San Diego, I think. But to be fair I have perhaps an unrealistically rosy opinion of Santa Barbara.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: AugustWest on February 22, 2010, 06:32:32 pm

Pismo Beach, CA.


... and all the clams we can eat!

(http://staticrooster.com/blog/pictures/pismobeach.jpg)

Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: side_show on February 22, 2010, 06:52:04 pm
I highly recommend renting a cabin somewhere in the off season.  There's sure to be some great places if you're up for a drive west into the mountains.  Get some place with no phone and a small kitchennette.  Bring easy to prepare food and paper plates and decompress.  I've done it, and I'm due to do it again.  So nice.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: AugustWest on February 22, 2010, 07:37:24 pm
There's sure to be some great places if you're up for a drive west into the mountains. 

Pro Tip:  Do NOT drive to mountains west of San Diego.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 22, 2010, 09:09:04 pm
... and all the clams we can eat!

(http://staticrooster.com/blog/pictures/pismobeach.jpg)



thats the first thing that came to my mind when i read that, as well.  the second thing?  gutterthoughts.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: pmcd9 on February 22, 2010, 10:05:45 pm
Pro Tip:  Do NOT drive to mountains west of San Diego.

Ha, yes, but just to the east is one of America's great hidden treasures, Salvation Mountain (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/sets/72157622080942017/).  Not cold though.  Intensely hot actually.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: jaydub on February 22, 2010, 10:49:46 pm
Murphys, CA.
This is indeed a cool place.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: side_show on February 22, 2010, 10:50:20 pm
Woops - sorry that should have been North East.  Now that I work in a cubicle, I'm constantly distracted and it's lowered the quality of my posts...  God damn it, having to earn a living is shitty.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: AugustWest on February 23, 2010, 12:58:14 am
Woops - sorry that should have been North East.  Now that I work in a cubicle, I'm constantly distracted and it's lowered the quality of my posts...  God damn it, having to earn a living is shitty.

Don't apologize for a terrific straight line!
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: Choop on February 23, 2010, 02:49:56 am
i'll vouch for julian. they got a great apple pie company there. also wood-burning stoves.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 24, 2010, 01:06:12 am
... and all the clams we can eat!

(http://staticrooster.com/blog/pictures/pismobeach.jpg)



FUCK and YES.  AW is my frickin' hero.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: AugustWest on February 24, 2010, 02:19:49 am
FUCK and YES.  AW is my frickin' hero.

I am just a humble shoe-shine boy.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: Lister on February 24, 2010, 07:26:19 am
True story: I drove to Lompoc, CA once just because of Rocky and Bullwinkle.  It was not as glamorous as I expected.  Julian is great, but it's not far away enough.  Maybe I'll try a long weekend there some other time.  It's certainly a fun day trip.

Decompressing is exactly the word I needed in my original post, I think.  I love the weather here, and would gladly take this climate anywhere else, but I need to not be in a place where work can get me, you know? 

I guess what I'm saying is the dream job needs to not be what I'm dreaming about.  Breaking the routine is good.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: AugustWest on February 24, 2010, 02:06:49 pm
True story: I drove to Lompoc, CA once just because of Rocky and Bullwinkle. 

Why?  Looking for the Kurwood Derby?  Meeting Gidney and Cloyd?  Visiting the Ruby Yacht of Omar Khayyam?  Meeting up with Hugo and Igo Bumbling?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 24, 2010, 04:31:15 pm
Lompoc sounds like the brand name of a Klingon feminine cleanser.

"LOMPOC! FOR EVEN GREAT WARRIORS NEED CLEAN pu$$yS!"
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: jay-ell on February 24, 2010, 04:35:34 pm
Lompoc sounds like the brand name of a Klingon feminine cleanser.

"LOMPOC! FOR EVEN GREAT WARRIORS NEED CLEAN pu$$yS!"

I once had a discussion with a U.S. Green Beret in which he insisted that women should not be allowed on the front lines because hygiene conditions are such that women soldiers would be plagued with yeast infections.

A clean vagina is a strong vagina.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 25, 2010, 05:10:01 pm
HASSAN CHOP!
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 25, 2010, 05:58:09 pm
instead of sandiego, im going to utah utah and idaho in june.  drama is a bitch.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: lprkn on February 26, 2010, 03:37:37 am
I hope you don't plan on trying to drink in Utah, they make it downright hard.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: miles on February 27, 2010, 10:35:59 pm
No Private Club requirements anymore! It's a hell of a lot easier to drink in Utah now.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: Lister on April 24, 2010, 02:24:19 am
I leave tomorrow.  I still don't know where I'm going.  Right now the plan is "drive vaguely north, stop somewhere interesting."
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: side_show on April 24, 2010, 01:54:22 pm
This is slightly more vague than my travel plans for today:  fly to somewhere vague, depend on people you've only met twice to pick you up at the airport and drive you to a place that doesn't have an address in a state you've never been to before.  Spend a week there, hope the people you vaguely know arrive on time to take you back to the airport. 

I'm thinking vague vacation plans are the way to go - I'm less anxious than I usually am about travel because I basically don't know what to expect.  Likewise I'm likely not going to be disappointed, again because I don't know what to expect.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: greenkoolayd on April 24, 2010, 10:15:33 pm
This is slightly more vague than my travel plans for today:  fly to somewhere vague, depend on people you've only met twice to pick you up at the airport and drive you to a place that doesn't have an address in a state you've never been to before.  Spend a week there, hope the people you vaguely know arrive on time to take you back to the airport. 

I'm thinking vague vacation plans are the way to go - I'm less anxious than I usually am about travel because I basically don't know what to expect.  Likewise I'm likely not going to be disappointed, again because I don't know what to expect.

its like buddhism.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: Lister on April 27, 2010, 06:33:50 am
I spent the night in Pismo Beach at a place called Kon-Tiki.  Pismo Beach did have all the clams I would eat, which is none.  I will eat none clams.

Right now I'm in Berkeley for no real reason.  I might stick around.
Title: Re: Where to go in April when you are not on spring break
Post by: miles on April 28, 2010, 04:13:49 am
I spent an afternoon in Berkley at the end of February and really enjoyed it. I'd like to go back to the Bay Area and spend some more time there. In fact, the Bay Area just pretty much kicks ass. I was visiting some friends in Reno and it's a beautiful drive from there.