The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Turbo Ninja on February 23, 2010, 05:23:42 pm

Title: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 23, 2010, 05:23:42 pm
Yahoo has unleashed the 2010 version of its fantasy baseball rig.

I am willing to start it up anew, or I believe LFM can use last year's settings to create a league for 2010.

I pledge to be a more-active manager than I was last year.

What do we say to such a thing?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: pmcd9 on February 23, 2010, 05:24:32 pm
So is Baseball now False False Baseball?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Drygioni on February 23, 2010, 05:31:48 pm
So is Baseball now False False Baseball?

False False False Rounders.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 23, 2010, 05:54:34 pm
Yeah im down as usual. Lets maybe think about prizes? I understand a Canadian Mist was up for grabs last round.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 23, 2010, 08:03:41 pm
Maybe we could ask a person uninvolved, like JL or Lprkn, as an escrow agent?
I only asked since we had the Mist up before and every other FFL Ive done has involved donations to a pool and it encourages more active membership in the FFL.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on February 23, 2010, 08:06:43 pm
how does this work

like can i have cal ripken and johnny bench and satchel paige on my team
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on February 23, 2010, 08:21:53 pm
how does this work

like can i have cal ripken and johnny bench and satchel paige on my team

Certainly!  Walter Johnson and Ty Cobb too!
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: pmcd9 on February 23, 2010, 09:00:16 pm
Has Joe Shlabotnik been taken yet?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on February 24, 2010, 02:14:35 am
Has Joe Shlabotnik been taken yet?

You get a can for Charlie Brown's favorite pllayer.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: miles on February 24, 2010, 05:46:24 am
I'm in. This time for real. Well, not really for real, but, I'm in.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: iron_felix on March 10, 2010, 05:43:25 am
I've had an email and a PM out to Iron Felix for the Mist but the guy never got back to me with an addy. I feel bad about that, so this year's winner: Don't Flake on a prize.

Yeah, sorry about that.  I went AWOL for a while due to various real life issues, but it was still kind of a dick move for me to never get back to you.  I can PM you now if you still have the Mist, but if you don't want to send it or you gave up on me and drank it yourself I'll completely understand.





Oh, and I'm in for this year as well, obviously.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on March 25, 2010, 01:54:57 pm
Are we doing this or not?  Opening day's in about 2 weeks, innit?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 25, 2010, 02:15:41 pm
Opening Day:  Sunday, April 4, Fuckin' Yankees vs. Fuckin' Red Sox.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 26, 2010, 07:06:05 am
Oh my god, April Fuckin 4th?  Awesome.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 26, 2010, 04:01:33 pm
It's back:
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/touamb_fake_baseball

PW: raysadvice

I was able to send invitations to those who played last year and chose to make their e-mail address public within the league.

Same settings as last year.  Head-to-head, autodraft.

Get busy.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 26, 2010, 07:24:25 pm
League ID for 2010 is 572923.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 26, 2010, 09:06:03 pm
THA RAIN MAN COMETH is ready for business.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 28, 2010, 11:24:36 pm
When is the draft?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 29, 2010, 06:08:23 pm
The draft will be whenever we get a suitable number of teams.  Right now we have an odd number, which is not allowed in head-to-head competition because someone would have an off week.

I'd like to get 10 teams to minimize the "Everyone's team is stacked" factor.  If you have friends (ha) who know a little something about baseball and are near a computer every now and then to maintain a roster, please pass along an invitation to join our little monkey rodeo.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 29, 2010, 10:29:35 pm
I really wanna join... but there is a really good chance at this point that my life is gonna go caca in June and...

I don't know where I will BE after that.

But it most likely will not be Southern California and I don't know wherever I'll be if I'll really have time for that sorta thing.

Or even a reliable internet connection.

Otherwise, I would'a like a week ago.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on March 30, 2010, 07:24:46 pm
I really wanna join... but there is a really good chance at this point that my life is gonna go caca in June and...

I don't know where I will BE after that.

But it most likely will not be Southern California and I don't know wherever I'll be if I'll really have time for that sorta thing.

Or even a reliable internet connection.

Otherwise, I would'a like a week ago.

So if life goes crazy you end up losing in the TOUAMB fantasy baseball league.  Big whoop.  Play as long as you can and if you have to drop out nobody will think any less of you (than they already do).  C'mon dude, we need players here!

Also, sorry about your life.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 30, 2010, 08:49:53 pm
So if life goes crazy you end up losing in the TOUAMB fantasy baseball league.  Big whoop

Also, sorry about your life.
This is why we need prizes
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 30, 2010, 09:46:44 pm
Awright, I'm in.

Quote from: AugustWest
Also, sorry about your life.

QFT.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 31, 2010, 04:35:04 am
Yeah, I am in a sort similar boat.  I have a job where I work like 60 hours a week and spend my two off days getting as fucked up as possible- so, yeah.  I also quit on the football league, because of this job, but at that point I had more friends cause I wasn't working and sleeping all the time.

Anyways, tell me if you need another player and I'll play, otherwise I am out.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on March 31, 2010, 02:16:56 pm
Yeah, I am in a sort similar boat.  I have a job where I work like 60 hours a week

S'matter?  Can't you slack off at work like a normal human being?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 01, 2010, 07:40:58 am
Oh, I do, but not really with the internet.  I fuck around with old 80s vet tools.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on April 01, 2010, 12:40:46 pm
I fuck around with old 80s vet tools.

Seven-kinky!!!
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 02, 2010, 01:00:26 am
Yay. Who is the tenth?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: iron_felix on April 02, 2010, 07:29:30 am
I'm guessing that would be me.  It wouldn't be right not to show up to defend my title, would it?  Speaking of which, Asherdan, I finally sent you a PM.  Sorry about the delay.

Are we having playoffs this year?  The league settings have them switched off right now.  I'm cool either way, but it was kind of a surprise when we didn't have them last season - we should make sure everyone knows what's going on beforehand this time.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 02, 2010, 01:42:11 pm
I can add playoffs this year if it's a good idea that people like.  Let me know by 5pm EST today, please, and I'll switch the settings as needed and set the draft status to Ready.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 02, 2010, 01:46:16 pm
Yea on playoffs.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: miles on April 02, 2010, 01:57:08 pm
I say "sure" to playoffs.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 02, 2010, 03:10:36 pm
I should clarify that I'm fine with either way, although I have a slight preference for plays off.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 02, 2010, 03:36:16 pm
Playoffs, sure.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on April 02, 2010, 05:07:38 pm
Playoffs. Cause it makes me feel like I've accomplished something if I make 'em.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 02, 2010, 05:13:15 pm
Playoffs are a contrived abomination. The winner of this year will be the fake team that has acquired the most left handed midwesterners.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 02, 2010, 06:08:37 pm
I'll set us up the playoffs.  We have the option of 4, 6 or 8 teams making the "post season."  I think the Top 4 should suffice for playoffs in a 10-team league.

Then I'll flick whatever switch is necessary to get us to draftin'.

In my mind it's a lever that sticks up from the floor, like the one Conan O'Brien pulled to activate a Walker, Texas Ranger clip.

Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 02, 2010, 08:46:59 pm
Our league status has been updated to "Ready to Draft."

Turns out it was much easier than I thought.  My hardhat and goggles were completely unnecessary.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 02, 2010, 09:42:46 pm
Quote
Your auto draft will be completed between now and 11:59 PM PT on Tuesday, Apr 6.
So, possibly after 3 days of baseball? For shame, yahoo.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 03, 2010, 01:49:00 pm
Ah, but I have a roster this morning.

Roy Halladay AND Cole Hamels.  Awwwwwwwwww yeah.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 03, 2010, 01:56:51 pm
Musta run last night in that case.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on April 03, 2010, 02:52:35 pm
Wow I sure have a lot of players that I never heard of.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 03, 2010, 03:11:51 pm
Wow I sure have a lot of players that I never heard of.
Which team? I tweaked my draft preferences and my hitters seem inordinately stacked to me.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 03, 2010, 03:34:36 pm
Yeah, claim your teams, people, so we know who we're playin'.  I'm Banana Town, obviously, Tommy Tiger = ash, and Obscure References = AW.  Who else?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 03, 2010, 03:41:47 pm
My imaginary stat machines are the Sturdy Thighbones.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: miles on April 03, 2010, 03:47:45 pm
The LSD No-No
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 03, 2010, 04:06:21 pm
The LSD No-No
So were you trying to dominate the SB category or did it just turn out that way?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 03, 2010, 06:14:43 pm
Wow I sure have a lot of players that I never heard of.
You're a Cards fan, right? So I'm guessing it's the young and youngish AL players whom you've never heard of.

Adam Lind had a breakout year in 2009. He's a near-elite power hitter.
Julio Borbon is a fast guy who has hit above .300 at every level above rookie ball. He should lead off for the Rangers, score a lot of runs, and steal a lot of bases.
Denard Span should do the same for the Twins--although he is not as fast may not steal all that many bases in their new park.
Brett Anderson is an ace-in-the-making for the Athletics.
Michael Wuertz is a good pitcher, but basically useless in this league unless Oakland's closer is injured or traded
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 03, 2010, 06:18:52 pm
Our resident economist employed an interesting strategy and drafted arguably the best starting pitcher and reliever in the first two rounds.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 03, 2010, 06:26:48 pm
The Fightin' Phlogistons field the all-prospect team with Stephen Strasburg, Jason Heyward, Arnoldis Chapman, and Austin Jackson.

I'll stop now.  :-X
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 03, 2010, 07:42:20 pm
I'm the Columbus Mad Cows.  I got hella bats and I'm happy to trade for some arms.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 04, 2010, 02:41:21 am
Denard Span should do the same for the Twins--although he is not as fast may not steal all that many bases in their new park.

He also managed to hit his own mother with a foul ball last week.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Minnesota-Twins-OF-Denard-Span-hits-his-own-mother-with-foul-ball-033110
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: miles on April 04, 2010, 06:24:05 pm
So were you trying to dominate the SB category or did it just turn out that way?

This is really my first fantasy sports experience, and I really didn't have much of a method going on.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 07, 2010, 04:35:18 am
Jeebus H. Crispies, nobody but NOBODY wants to go to the Nats game tomorrow.  Opening Day was a complete disaster, with Phillies fans taking over the damn stadium (apparently the team sold a shitload of group tickets to Philly-based groups prior to them going on sale in DC), booing the home team, and that home team going out and losing 11-1.  ALL of the optimism, the happy shit about the team improving, just completely evaporated in the space of one afternoon.  And now I'm feeling like a total shithead for renewing my partial season ticket plan.

Bobby?  Cort?  Wombat?  Baseball game Wednesday night?  It's free!  Seriously!  You don't even have to buy me a beer if you don't want to.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: pmcd9 on April 07, 2010, 04:46:01 am
If I were in shouting distance I would love to join you.  Can I root for the Phillies?  Just kidding.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 07, 2010, 07:31:40 am
Well, I mean, you guys do have Pitching Jesus!

I mean, you would if he wasn't... starting the season in AA to save a small amount of money...
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: CortJstr on April 07, 2010, 01:04:36 pm
I've got plans tonight, sorry. I'd direct you to my friend Hilary who's a huge baseball fan ... but she's originally from Philly.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 07, 2010, 01:35:25 pm
I don't mind people cheering for the road team (not too much, anyway).  It's jeering the home team that's uncalled for.  On Monday they presented Ryan Zimmerman with his Silver Slugger and Gold Glove awards, designating him as the best offensive and defensive third baseman in the National League.  One of the best all-around players in the game right now, and as far as I can tell an overall decent guy.  The Philly fans BOOED HIM.  Dicks.

Anyway, back to local matters:  All the TOUAMB league teams have been claimed except THA RAIN MAN COMETH and Heartattack and Vine.  Identify yourselves!
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 07, 2010, 01:46:28 pm
Well, I mean, you guys do have Pitching Jesus!

I mean, you would if he wasn't... starting the season in AA to save a small amount of money...
An extra year under team control is no small thing.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 07, 2010, 02:26:11 pm
THA RAIN MAN COMETH is ready for business.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 07, 2010, 02:41:55 pm
OK, here for your handy reference:
Banana Town Bollos      Carlos del Vaca
The LSD No-No         miles
Mad Cows            Turbo Ninja
Fightin' Phlogistons          iron_felix
Tommy Friggin' Tiger      Asherdan
THA RAIN MAN COMETH   A-Cap
Obscure References      AugustWest
Sturdy Thighbones      Jorge Fabregas
Hot Bloody Fat         Asherdan Jr.
Heartattack and Vine      LFM
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 07, 2010, 06:46:40 pm
Iron Felix streams his starting pitchers, pass it down.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: iron_felix on April 08, 2010, 05:05:03 pm
Well, duh.  My pre-draft rankings backfired horribly and I wound up with two starting pitchers who weren't starting the season either on the DL or in the minors.

Is this a breach of false baseball etiquette?  I can stop if people have a problem with it, but I've never done any fantasy sports outside of these TOUAMB leagues and nobody complained for the first three years, so I always thought it was just an ordinary strategy.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 08, 2010, 05:27:12 pm
It's no breach as far as I'm concerned and I have dabbled in it from time to time. I'm just commenting on different strategies that I see, generally. It would be kind of boring if there was only way to go about it.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on April 08, 2010, 05:29:31 pm
What the hell does that even meaning, streaming his pitchers?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 08, 2010, 05:45:12 pm
It means that Don Drysdale Bert Blyleven wishes that he could give felix golden showers.

I think "churning," would be the more accurate descriptor, but I was too late to the game to coin any terminology.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2363395_stream-starting-pitchers-fantasy-baseball.html

Quote
Streaming starting pitchers--picking pitchers of the waiver wire daily and dropping them the next for another pitcher--is one way to make up for weaknesses in the starting pitching you drafted.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on April 08, 2010, 06:13:55 pm
But...but... how will your players build any team spirit?  Any comraderie?  Any esprit de corps, if you will?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 08, 2010, 06:19:11 pm
Define "streams."  You mean, picks up a guy who's starting tomorrow, then tomorrow he dumps that guy in favor of someone who's starting the next day?

Yeah, you can do that.  I do it sometimes.  It's all part of managing your roster.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 12, 2010, 01:41:38 am
Hey, here's a joke I made up after today's Mets-Nats game.  What did K-Rod say to Willie Harris?  "Fuck you!  FUCK you!  FUCK YOU!"

Ha ha haaaaaaaaa.  Frikkin' awesome.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 12, 2010, 01:38:18 pm
Hmmmm.  Here I was miffed that I didn't have Roy Halladay's complete game, zero-earned run effort in my lineup yesterday.  But then, I won all the pitching categories except saves anyway, so no biggie.

Looks like I am the all-pitching, no-offense team.  But it's early days yet.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 12, 2010, 03:48:28 pm
Looks like I am the all-pitching, no-offense team.  But it's early days yet.

And my pitching is weaker than Ukraine.  I thought I'd have the bats to make up for it but so far everyone seems to be asleep.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 12, 2010, 04:35:36 pm
Tha sugah cameth pourin down on ash this week. Feel the burn, old man.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 12, 2010, 05:26:39 pm
The Sturdy Thighbones weathered a crappy week from Justin Verlander, Mike Gonzalez (blech), Jake Peavy, and Javy Vazquez to pull out a solid victory over Heartattack and Vine.

I love the hell out of my lineup. Especially now that Gordon Beckham's second base eligibility has kicked in  It  may not have been too bright to assemble an AL-only starting pitching staff, though.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 12, 2010, 05:59:34 pm
Of course it's a long season. Look forward to continued indignities this week, though.



Edit: Let the record show that this small bit of trash talk seemed to inspire an immediate Max Scherzer mini-meltdown.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 12, 2010, 07:59:56 pm
Two beisbol things I've never seen before in this play:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7393789

1. Someone severely underestimating Juan Pierre's arm (who knew that this was possible?)
2. A third base coach running into fair territory seemingly to distract the cut-off man.

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af214/earthshiner/what.jpg

Watch around the 1:00 mark:
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=7399911
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on May 11, 2010, 05:59:45 pm
Just wanted to update the situation, buddy.

AWWWW SNAP

(http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID20836/images/ex_mike_the_situation_abs.jpg)


edit: damn new page ruining my post
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 11, 2010, 08:51:02 pm
Pssst! sMets! Hey sMets!

Lastings Milledge (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=6477) is still a POS ballplayer.

Furthermore, Blastings Thrilledge mistakenly thought he hit a home run last week (it didn't help that they set off fireworks), when in fact the ball had gone off the wall.  He was tagged out between second and third.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Fireworks-send-Lastings-Milledge-into-an-ill-fat?urn=mlb,239558
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on May 11, 2010, 11:47:22 pm
Furthermore, Blastings Thrilledge mistakenly thought he hit a home run last week (it didn't help that they set off fireworks), when in fact the ball had gone off the wall.  He was tagged out between second and third.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Fireworks-send-Lastings-Milledge-into-an-ill-fat?urn=mlb,239558

(http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/D_oh.jpg)
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on May 15, 2010, 02:13:29 am
To paraphrase The Trek:

We are of a kind, he and I.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: miles on May 15, 2010, 02:55:30 pm
Oh man I have not been managing at all. My pitching staff needs some serious work. Maybe today...
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 18, 2010, 02:45:08 am
Yes man. You are playing me this week. I noticed that you have one of the best fantasy players (so far), Alex Rios, rotting on your bench. Meanwhile injured Ellsbury takes up a starting outfield spot.

Meanwhile, the three lumbering first basemen in my lineup sneered at your absentee managing and decided that today they were going forces to hit the piss out of the ball.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 24, 2010, 01:44:12 pm
Talk about a pitching let-down.  Halladay, Jonathan Sanchez, and Jered Weaver all pitching, that sounds like at least one win, right?  Well, no.  Also, Bengie Molina can take a flying fuck at the moooooooon.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: miles on May 30, 2010, 04:24:01 pm
Curse you Halladay!

(http://wonkabar.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud_001.jpg)
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 31, 2010, 02:51:54 am
Curse you Yahoo! From what I can tell, they have not yet counted any stats from the last 4 innings of the suspended and (eventually) completed Yankees-Twins game. This robbed me of a tie in the Wins category, as I had Burnett starting both the original day and the next.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 01, 2010, 02:32:51 pm
Curse you Halladay!

Whatever dude.  One of my pitchers threw a perfect fuck*ng game this week and I STILL got crushed.  That seems unfair to me.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 01, 2010, 02:51:02 pm
Oh, here's another thing.  You may have heard that uber-prospect Stephen Strasburg is going to make his major league debut for the Washington Nationals next week (Tuesday, June 8 to be precise).  As I am a partial season-ticket holder, and because I read a shitload of Nats blogs that all predicted his first start would be either June 4 or June 8, I was able to score tickets to this game a couple weeks ago and beat the rush.

Now, I have two co-workers with whom I regularly discuss baseball, and I figured I would take one of them.  Apparently, neither of them were able to get tickets on their own, and they both want to go.  How should I choose?  Ideas:
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on June 01, 2010, 03:14:05 pm
Lingerie fashion show, judged by the rest of your co-workers.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: miles on June 02, 2010, 01:00:21 am
Whatever dude.  One of my pitchers threw a perfect fuck*ng game this week and I STILL got crushed.  That seems unfair to me.

Yeah, that probably wasn't fair. And besides I don't even know if it changed things at all. I just heard about the game and wondered if I was playing him this week, and when I saw I was it was the first thing that came to mind.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 02, 2010, 02:19:58 pm
The Strasmas situation has resolved itself.  They opened up some extra tickets to season ticket holders, so I was able to score some extras for one of the co-workers.  He still has to buy me beer though.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on June 06, 2010, 07:16:34 pm
Anyone need outfielders? I have several good ones. I need starting pitching.

Team Sturdy Thighbones

OF-eligible players: Kemp, Choo, Jose Bautista, Brett Gardner, Manny Ramirez, and Curtis Granderson.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on June 06, 2010, 08:07:48 pm
Hey, Lastings Milledge had a hell of a catch last night.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 06, 2010, 08:08:39 pm
This endless parade of iron felix baseball rape needs to come to an end somehow.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on June 06, 2010, 08:36:25 pm
He's got Strasburg coming up.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 07, 2010, 01:51:20 pm
Yeah, that bites my ass.  He was way out in front of even me (resident Nats fan) on that one.

I get the Phlogistons this week, and while it's way too early (and I'm a bit too far out in second to get excited), I still feel the need to TAKE HIM DOWN.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 07, 2010, 03:08:29 pm
That is a very good way to go.  In my previous league, I had the good fortune to be following the Phillies as their good young players got called up.  I picked up Utley, Howard, and Whole Camels, one after the other, before anyone else had any idea.  That was a keeper league, so I was able to hold onto those guys for 4-5 years each.  Not coincidentally, I won the league in 2007.  (And also perhaps not coincidentally, that league broke up immediately following that season.  Wow was I pissed.)
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 09, 2010, 04:03:05 am
Strasburg Strasburg Strasburg, Strasburg Strasburg, Strasburg Strasburg Strasburg.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 09, 2010, 05:30:41 am
You got me imagining Charlie Kaufman's "Being Strasburg".
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on June 09, 2010, 02:30:08 pm
Strasburg Strasburg Strasburg, Strasburg Strasburg, Strasburg Strasburg Strasburg.

You need 6 more Strasburgs.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 09, 2010, 02:31:51 pm
I'd be happy with four to fill out the rest of the rotation.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on June 09, 2010, 04:49:35 pm
more likely the yankees'll grab him up with money the nats can't match as soon as he's eligible.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 09, 2010, 05:22:43 pm
more likely the yankees'll grab him up with money the nats can't match as soon as he's eligible.

Yeah, the fear of this happening is hanging around the back of everyone's mind.  Hopefully, with the team being successful (and therefore raking in the cash), the team opens their wallet when the time comes.  But you can't be sure.

I have a friend who writes a Yankees blog, and even he has a post about Strasburg today.  The first comment to that post was "How long until the Yankees get him?"  I was tempted to reply, "You Yankee fans talk and talk about how it isn't all about the money, but if you want to know why everyone hates you and your team, read that comment about five or six more times."  But I didn't.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 09, 2010, 06:23:41 pm
He'll get secretly injured during his last arb year with Washington, the Mets will back a dumptruck of money up to his house and the organization will pay him for eight years on the motherfuck*ng cocksucking disabled list.

Amoungst Met fans, we call this the Castillo/Vaughn/Delgado Rule.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on June 10, 2010, 02:52:53 am
I'd slow the roll on the cynical Strasburg fatalism.

There are plenty of great players in medium markets that haven't ended up in New York, Boston, or Philly.

Mauer, King Felix, Pujols (current contract), etc.

Furthermore, there's not enough of a science in this pitcher workload thing to be able to max them out without hurting them for a long duration of the original team's control.

There's an innings pitched script that's followed pretty closely for these young guys these days--as long as your manager isn't Dusty Baker. Strasburg's not going to touch 200 innings until 2012 at the earliest.

Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: miles on June 10, 2010, 02:57:36 am
Jesus.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 10, 2010, 04:06:21 am
Counterpoint to the counterpoint: Boras is his agent.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on June 10, 2010, 01:29:54 pm
That's a good point. Still, Boras must know that the Yankees can't pay all of his $20 million/year players. Plus, he (Boras) might expire between now and then.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 10, 2010, 02:24:30 pm
The formula I've heard is 10% more innings than the year before.

Also:  Strasburg!
(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4687643259_d066b86492.jpg)
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 11, 2010, 01:38:25 pm
He was freakin' ridiculous.  Hitting 99 with regularity, hit 100 once or twice.  His change-up is 91.  And a curveball that starts at the eyeballs and end at the knees.  He made the Pirates look silly with regularity.  Granted, that's the Pirates and they frequently look silly on their own, but still.

As much if not more important than Strasburg himself was the atmosphere.  My biggest complaint about my fellow Nats fans is that they don't always know when to cheer.  The key moment in the game isn't always the 9th inning.  I can't tell you how many times it's the top of the 5th, there's two on and two out, 2-2 count on the batter, and I swear I'm the only person in the whole stadium clapping and cheering for our pitcher.  But at this game, every time there were two strikes, everyone got up and cheered their fool heads off. 

Here is the upper deck concourse in the top of the 7th (Strasburg's last inning):
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_D-LlI9f-pQo/TA9lXu8lwEI/AAAAAAAAYXk/vVw0V2dKn70/s1600/IMG_1975.JPG

It's NEVER that empty, because so many people are wandering around buying food and stuff and not paying attention to the game.

And here's the last strike-out in the top of the 7th.  'Nuf said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x18s8cjwuIE
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on June 11, 2010, 01:42:10 pm
Nice catch! (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100610&content_id=11058226&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on June 11, 2010, 02:23:11 pm
Yeah, but he did that against the Royals so it's not like that catch happened in the Majors or anything.


ZING!
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 24, 2010, 05:09:20 am
Aaron Heilman is a terrible baseball player and a terrible human being.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: pmcd9 on June 24, 2010, 05:25:11 am
I guess I picked the right evening to attend an Astros game.  They broke a 5 game losing streak and beat the Giants for the first time this year.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 24, 2010, 05:51:41 am
Aaron Heilman is a terrible baseball player and a terrible human being.
QFT
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on June 24, 2010, 01:01:06 pm
Aaron Heilman is a terrible baseball player and a terrible human being.

What?  Why?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 27, 2010, 01:12:34 pm
One of my pitchers threw a no-hitter last night, bitches!  Second time this season!
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: robot_god on July 27, 2010, 05:37:33 pm
This is insanity!  Three no-hitters, and [three] perfect games!?  What the hell is going on with this season?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on July 27, 2010, 05:42:38 pm
This is insanity!  Three no-hitters, and [three] perfect games!?  What the hell is going on with this season?
Universally larger strike zone and less steroids. Seriously.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 27, 2010, 07:03:27 pm
Honestly?

I think that the lessened influence of amphetamines might have more to do with it than the lessened influence of steroids.

Everyday positional players were the dudes who most benefited from the cumulative effect of uppers getting them through the grind of long road-trips and such, playing six games a week.

Young starting pitchers are probably the dudes least effected by greenies being around less.

The larger strike zone, yeah, that too. That's been a little more incremental over years, though, and might not show up so clearly in one season? Maybe?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 23, 2010, 01:22:14 pm
Three regular-season weeks left.  Nothing is settled yet, but the gaps are fairly wide and it's hard to make up a lot of ground quickly in this league.  So I'm guessing our playoff field is set:  Phlogistons, Thighbones, Banana Town, and Hot Bloody Fat.

The closest race at this point is between Banana Town and HBF, to get the #3 seed and avoid a first-round date with the mighty Phlogistons.  Conveniently enough, we play each other in the last week of the regular season.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on August 23, 2010, 02:28:36 pm
Three regular-season weeks left.  Nothing is settled yet, but the gaps are fairly wide and it's hard to make up a lot of ground quickly in this league.  So I'm guessing our playoff field is set:  Phlogistons, Thighbones, Banana Town, and Hot Bloody Fat.

The closest race at this point is between Banana Town and HBF, to get the #3 seed and avoid a first-round date with the mighty Phlogistons.  Conveniently enough, we play each other in the last week of the regular season.

I'm not giving up yet.  Watch out HBF!
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 26, 2010, 02:27:51 am
Hey guys,

Remember when Bill James' daughter posted here and said her dad liked Craig Biggo? That was great.

http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3978.msg103972.html#msg103972

This has been a moment of TOUAMB nerdstalgia.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: pmcd9 on August 26, 2010, 03:11:31 am
Canned for the nostalgia.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: miles on August 26, 2010, 03:35:02 am
Posnanski mentions Bill James a couple of times in a recent post (http://joeposnanski.si.com/2010/08/11/dewan-and-defense/) on defensive stats. Good read. By the way, thanks to whoever mentioned Posnanski here. Great stuff, and the only sportswriter I currently read on a regular basis.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 30, 2010, 12:51:18 pm
Update with two weeks to go:
Phlogistons have clinched a playoff spot.  Their magic number for the #1 seed is 8.
Banana Town defeats the Thighbones 5-3, but is unlikely to overtake them for #2.
Magic number for Hot Bloody Fat to clinch the final playoff spot is 14.  (i.e., any combination of HBF picking up points and Obscure References failing to pick up points over the next two weeks totalling 14 and they're in.)
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 02, 2010, 12:50:15 am
Hot Bloody Fat (Asherdan's boy) has had 4 starting pitchers go so far this week. Combined ERA of his pitchers so far: .59. WHIP: .73. Only one starting pitcher has given up any earned runs thus far.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 06, 2010, 01:26:59 pm
One week left in the regular season.
Phlogistons have clinched #1 seed.  Thighbones & Bollos have clinched playoff spots.
Bollos vs. Fat this week.  If the Bollos pick up 2 points they clinch at least #3 seed (i.e. HBF need a huge win to have a shot at #3.)
HBF need 3 points, or -3 by the References, to clinch the final playoff spot.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 13, 2010, 02:24:31 am
My hitters have been in a major funk since losing Youkilis and Mourneau. Basically, I was in trouble each week unless Bautista went crazy. Matt Kemp deservedly getting on Joe Torre's bad side didn't help, either. I'm bummed  that I didn't get my second-straight year of regular season second place behind the formidable Iron Felix (a place that my team had held for most of the year).

I've gutted my lineup and added a bunch of hot-hitting scrubs for the playoffs. Hopefully it will work out.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 13, 2010, 01:15:56 pm
Regular season wrap-up:

Banana Town opened the door for the Obscure References with a 9-0 thumping of of HBF, but the References could not take advantage as they only managed a 5-4 win over the Thighbones.  HBF takes the final playoff spot by 1.5 points.  Banana Town does sneak past the Thighbones for second place, but that matters little as the first-round playoff matchups are unchanged.

Fightin' Phlogistons (iron felix) vs. Hot Bloody Fat (Asherdan the Younger)
Banana Town Bollos (Carlos del Vaca) vs. Sturdy Thighbones (Jorge Fabregas)
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on September 13, 2010, 01:16:49 pm
Fuck.  One win short of a .500 season.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on September 13, 2010, 08:25:46 pm
Hey guys,

Remember when Bill James' daughter posted here and said her dad liked Craig Biggo? That was great.

http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3978.msg103972.html#msg103972

This has been a moment of TOUAMB nerdstalgia.

RumJay was awesome. Who knows, maybe she'll come back.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 13, 2010, 08:48:21 pm
You know.

I hope we didn't scare her off by focusing too much on her pop's micro-celebrity, causing her to think that's all we saw her as.

As opposed to the fact that we just all like slagging on each other's default traits here.

I'm a wishy-washy bleeding heart, for example, and it is funny to overemphasize that trait at times.

Like "likes pugs" and et cetera.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on September 13, 2010, 09:22:20 pm
I was her little MySpace friend until I realizede that MySpace epitomized everything that is wrong in the world and was making me more a little ball of hate than Pat Verbeek.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 14, 2010, 12:05:47 am
I have two or three friends still on myspace and not on facebook that'll I'll check in on?

And yeah. It is like being eight years ago over there.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on September 14, 2010, 02:00:11 am
I don't know if it is just every computer I have ever used, but MySpace always loads like ass for me - all pictures never loading and messages being unable to send and like that.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 14, 2010, 02:51:22 am
83% of the Myspace bandwidth is devoted to glitter generation.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 14, 2010, 03:02:00 am
Hey dudes, there is a consolation round, so keep managing your lineups and all if that is your thing.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: miles on September 16, 2010, 05:49:24 am
Bill James had an interesting article (http://www.slate.com/id/2266750/pagenum/all) over to the Slate recently.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on September 16, 2010, 01:02:29 pm
Bill James had an interesting article (http://www.slate.com/id/2266750/pagenum/all) over to the Slate recently.

What an excellent article. 
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: miles on September 17, 2010, 05:31:12 am
Yeah, the amazon link to his forthcoming book in the article didn't have much information, and it looks like it's coming out next year, but I'm definitely interested in checking it out.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 18, 2010, 03:36:10 am
I benched Shin Soo Choo today. Whoops!
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 18, 2010, 09:42:30 pm
I benched Shin Soo Choo today. Whoops!

Oh dear lord.  That may totally swing our game.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 18, 2010, 10:27:31 pm
It's looking that way.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: iron_felix on September 19, 2010, 02:12:56 pm
Quote from: Yahoo Fantasy Baseball Help
How are ties broken in a playoff game?
In the event that a playoff game ends in a tie, the deadlock is broken using the following system:
  • Winning percentage against this opponent during the regular season. The winning percentage is based on individual stat category wins and losses, not match up wins and losses.
  • Playoff seed.

I'm pretty sure this is different than in years past.  Anyway, I checked the final stat totals, and the following scenarios can play out under these rules:

1. If the Phlogistons tie Hot Bloody Fat, the Phlogistons will advance to the final.
2. If Banana Town ties the Sturdy Thighbones, the Thighbones will advance to the final.
3. In the final, either Banana Town or the Thighbones will lose a tie with the Phlogistons, and either will win a tie with Hot Bloody Fat.

The Thighbones will have their work cut out for them, but since they only need to force a tie, both series are still up in the air at this point.  The Phlogistons have saves locked up, and that's about it - the other nine categories have swung back and forth all week, and could still go either way.

I hope I can hold on for the win.  In spite of getting first or second place in the regular season every year we've done this, I still haven't won any playoff series (except for a third place matchup, but that doesn't count).  I feel like I need to at least make it to the final this year to validate last year's championship.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 19, 2010, 03:30:40 pm
Man, this shit is going to come down to the wire.  I have a 7-3 lead, but Jorge's got FOUR starting pitchers going today, while I have zero.  That lead could evaporate quickly.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 19, 2010, 11:30:15 pm
I guess I should be thankful for the tiebreaker rules, although I think total season winning pct would be more fair as the first. If Huston Street gets a save at the end of this Dodger-Rockie affair, then I believe I will have 5 categories tied down barring a monster game from Konerko.

Edit: And he blows the save! Meaning our matchup will appropriately be determined by the Sunday night game.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 20, 2010, 01:00:39 pm
So the Phlogistons win convincingly, 7-2, thereby avoiding the TOUAMB fantasy sports league #1 seed curse.

In the other semi-final, the Thighbones trailed most of the week but came roaring back on Sunday to take a 6-3 win.

So the final is Phlogistons vs. Thighbones.  Banana Town vs. Hot Bloody Fat for third place.

Remember, the final is a two-week affair.  Good luck all.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 04, 2010, 01:01:32 pm
Congratulations to Jorge Fabregas and his Sturdy Thighbones, your TOUAMB Fantasy Baseball Champions for 2010.  They wrap up the title with a 6-4 win over the regular season champ Fightin' Phlogistons, whose rotating pitchers strategy seems to have backfired a bit in the final.  This matchup was actually 8-1 Thighbones for most of the two-week period, but the Phlogistons tried to come back in the final weekend.  Both teams went all-out by loading up on pitching in the final weekend.

Banana Town takes third place with a 6-4 win over Hot Bloody Fat.

Thanks to everyone for playing!  On to football!
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on October 05, 2010, 02:42:04 pm
From the SportsCenter rundown:

"In frustration, I whacked myself on the head with my bat in the ninth. I had my helmet on...[but] that night and the next morning, I just didn't feel good."
So Brian Roberts didn't finish out the season after he gave himself a concussion when he hit himself in the head with his bat. Ladies and gentlemen, your 2010 Baltimore Orioles.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 05, 2010, 08:27:52 pm
Fightin' Phlogistons, whose rotating pitchers strategy seems to have backfired a bit in the final. 
His strategy worked pretty well in the second week when we were both streaming pitchers. He got close in Ks and pulled ahead in Ws. I was very lucky in the first week because my pitchers had an exceptionally low ERA and WHIP. That gave me leeway to stream with abandon.

Congrats to Iron Felix on winning the regular season convincingly for the second straight year.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 06, 2010, 02:01:54 am
Maybe so, but in the first week he had a team ERA of like 5-something.  Some of the short-term guys he picked up really pitched like ass.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 02, 2010, 10:20:28 pm
Adam Dunn signs with White Sox.  Fuck yoooooooooouuuuuuuuu, Washington Nationals.

Strasburg basically out for the year, now Dunn gone, apparently because they'd rather have the draft picks they get for him leaving as a free agent.  So we can sign Carlos Peņa and his sub-.200 batting average.

Can anyone tell me why I should renew my season tickets for next year?  Because I, personally, have no idea.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2010, 04:11:01 am
Probably not really statistically significant that all these ballplayers committed suicide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Baseball_players_who_committed_suicide) (I ended up here after looking up the USCG).

Fred Bratschi killed himself by drinking battery acid. I bet he was a hell of a ballplayer. Jesus.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2010, 06:05:09 am
Can anyone tell me why I should renew my season tickets for next year?  Because I, personally, have no idea.

I assume you are a fan of the game and not simply a fan of the Nationals.

I've found it very freeing to not give two shits about the home teams fortunes any longer.  Just tonight for instance I watched the Texans get beat by Philly.  My roommate was losing it because of the Texan's lousy play.  Meanwhile I was enjoying a good game.  Vick may be a scoundrel, but he sure can play football.

So go, enjoy some good baseball.  Who gives a shit if the Nationals suck, you're at a baseball game, life is awesome.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on December 03, 2010, 06:56:36 am
give away tickets every week and get a bunch of favors owed, which you can then apply toward your rooftop solar panel installation
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 03, 2010, 05:39:03 pm
I assume you are a fan of the game and not simply a fan of the Nationals.
[...]
So go, enjoy some good baseball.  Who gives a shit if the Nationals suck, you're at a baseball game, life is awesome.

This is true, I am a fan of the game.  I'm not saying I won't go to any games at all next year, I just don't want to buy a 20-game ticket package.  Why should I do that when I can buy tickets at walk-up any time I want, and they often have discount codes available and so on?

Choop, part of my frustration is that last season I couldn't GIVE tickets away sometimes.  Granted, I didn't work as hard as I should trying to unload extra tickets--I should have been pimping them on StubHub and Craigslist and what have you.  But as far as e-mailing friends, posting on Facebook, using the company bulletin board, far too often nobody wanted the tickets at face value, at half-price, or even for free.  Similarly, when I was going to the game and had a spare, nobody wanted to go.  At the start of the season people are all "Yeah, I love to go to the game!  Let me know when you have a ticket!"  But when I ask "How about this Thursday?" suddenly everyone is busy.

(Yes, I have contemplated the idea that my "friends" actually hate me and don't want to hang out.)
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on December 03, 2010, 06:02:32 pm
so protest with your pocketbook then and don't re-up

when i found out bobby cox had hit his wife on several occasions and the charges were either dropped or never filed, i boycotted turner field. now that he's no longer coach, i'm more open to the idea of going to see the braves, but i'd rather he weren't still on the team's payroll. i can wait it out. the shame of it is i live like a mile and a half from the ballpark.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2010, 10:40:32 pm
Well let's see.  My heart was broken when the Oilers left town.  I said fuck Major League Baseball when they couldn't get their shit together and had a strike shortened season.  And I just kinda realized that I don't really like basketball that much.

So I didn't pay any attention to pro sports for about 10 years.  Now I am starting to get into watching football again and I can't deny that I really love baseball, but what keeps me away from the stadium is the price.  It used to be something that a regular Joe could do from time to time.  It's so damn expensive now it's ridiculous.  That and the terrible design of the stadiums.  I believe we've discussed that elsewhere though.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 03, 2010, 10:50:55 pm
The bonus is not only is it expensive, but many (most?) of the people who go to NFL games are absolute fuckheads.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on December 03, 2010, 10:59:19 pm
yeah baseball's crazy cheap compared to football. cheap seats at the ballpark = $20; nosebleeds at the stadium = $80. fuck you, nfl teams, i'll go watch a local college game. that shit's more fun anyway.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2010, 11:37:23 pm
cheap seats at the ballpark = $20

+ $10-$15 service fee + $10-$15 to park + $8 for a soda + $6 for a lousy bag of peanuts = $64 x 2 if you take someone with you.

Sitting in a poorly designed stadium that doesn't have clear site lines of the field = priceless.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: CortJstr on December 04, 2010, 12:35:54 am
Half-season tickets to DC United cost roughly as much as single tickets for the Caps for equivalent seats. And that includes unlimited beer/wine/soda at the tailgate.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on December 04, 2010, 05:03:25 am
paul i park at the subway station for free, two bucks gets me to the box office at the field where there's no service fee. wipe that $20-30 down to $2 and you can afford a beer or two even at those prices, and i've never seen a seat without a good view of turner field.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 04, 2010, 05:19:58 am
Well let's see.  My heart was broken when the Oilers left town.  I said fuck Major League Baseball when they couldn't get their shit together and had a strike shortened season.  And I just kinda realized that I don't really like basketball that much.

Can't you see the man has a broken heart? Have some compassion!
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 05, 2010, 01:47:47 pm
One is allowed to bring outside food into Nats Park, and a bottle of water (but no other beverages).  Cheapest tickets are $5, next are $10. You can do a game on the super-cheap if you put your mind to it, but yeah, beer is $8.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 05, 2010, 03:05:30 pm
Colorado Rockies Rockpile: $4.
Pint of Liquor in #####: $5-15.
Coke to put liquor in: $6.

That's not to bad if you get some cheap booze.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 05, 2010, 03:47:51 pm
You can go to high school games much more cheaply, and the kids really care about the game!

/Gregg Easterbrook
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2010, 06:28:04 am
Can't you see the man has a broken heart? Have some compassion!

How many of you have lost your favorite team?  Not due to lack of fan support but because the owner wanted to move them away so he could make even more money.

How would you feel Nabu if your Chargers just suddenly ceased to exist?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on December 06, 2010, 08:06:09 am
that's a major league disappointment there, it would leave me heartbroken. i might even give up on mlb and go back to the minors for my national pastime fun
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on December 06, 2010, 01:34:18 pm
How many of you have lost your favorite team?  Not due to lack of fan support but because the owner wanted to move them away so he could make even more money.


Thankfully, it seems fairly unlikely that the General Assembly will decide to move the University of Kentucky out of state.  True, they've done plenty of dumber things, but I think we're safe on this one.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 06, 2010, 02:05:47 pm
Hey Mayor, looks like they're trying out there in DC. Werth as a home player? Not bad.

Yeah, I'm as surprised as anyone.  Honestly, though, I'd rather have had Dunn for four years than Werth for seven.

Unfortunately, the Nats are the kind of team that has to overpay ridiculously (rather than simply overpay as the Yankees do) to get free agents to come to town.

The bonus is not only is it expensive, but many (most?) of the people who go to NFL games are absolute fuckheads.

Truth.  I would not DREAM of taking my children to a Redskins game, except maybe if we were going to be in a suite and I knew we could avoid the rabble altogether.  An NFL game is NOT a family-friendly event.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2010, 02:43:40 pm
How many of you have lost your favorite team?  Not due to lack of fan support but because the owner wanted to move them away so he could make even more money.

How would you feel Nabu if your Chargers just suddenly ceased to exist?

Hey now, I wasn't kidding. There's a very real chance that the Chargers will move to LA, and while that's not anywhere near as bad as what happened to the Oilers (and, indeed, the Chargers started out in LA), I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of rooting for a team from Los Angeles.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on December 06, 2010, 03:03:12 pm
haha, as if l.a. cares about the nfl. that's a usc v ucla town when it comes to handegg, and an nba town when it comes to anything else.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on December 06, 2010, 03:10:49 pm
after that scarring you're gonna let the nfl come back to town to play? sure, and i'll trade you this twenty for your enzo.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2010, 05:14:37 pm
Just by the sheer volume of eyeballs, LA is getting a team. The question is, Buff/Jax/SD/Minn (I'm pulling for Minnesota, just because of the Lakers thing).
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on December 06, 2010, 06:11:11 pm
imma go ahead and predict that an nfl team won't stay in L.A. for more than seven years.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: pmcd9 on December 06, 2010, 07:15:31 pm
So it's just assured that LA is going to get a team and it's going to be an existing team?  Why don't they start a new franchise?  And while they are at it why don't they start franchises in other cities that would love and support one?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 06, 2010, 07:35:47 pm
So it's just assured that LA is going to get a team and it's going to be an existing team?  Why don't they start a new franchise?  And while they are at it why don't they start franchises in other cities that would love and support one?

There's a lot of reasons for this, but I'll wager a couple:
1.  There just aren't that many more metropolitan areas with sufficient population and interest to support an NFL team.
2.  The league appears to be at a pretty sweet spot right now in terms of number of teams.  The way the schedule is developed is genius in its simplicity, and there's a pretty good balance in terms of number of teams making the playoffs--enough to keep things interesting for many teams through late in the season, without letting damn well near everyone in like the NBA and NHL.  Making the playoffs is an accomplishment, but not borderline impossible for many teams like it is in MLB.  Adding more teams would screw all that up.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on December 06, 2010, 08:05:48 pm
care to wager a bottle of bourbon, ash? winner chooses. seven years.

when i recently lived in santa monica, nobody even gave a shit about the nfl - nothing about it, not even the superbowl - except the cowboys fans and giants fans that were transplanted. cowboy and giants fans are pretty much firm in their compositions, in that if a new team shows up outside their door, they won't even notice until their own favorite team comes to visit.

now if the rookie season of any new l.a. team is made up entirely of recent trojans, bears, and bruins alum, then you might win that bottle, because the fanbase will be built in: "oh my school's quarterback is in the nfl and i can go see him play here in town" "oh man i went to school with the wide receiver and running back, and the free safety was a year ahead of me" BUT since the chances of that happening are approximately e^(i*pi)+1 then i'm pretty confident about my wager.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2010, 10:36:27 pm
No expansion team because that would screw scheduling up. 8 divisions of four teams apiece works. Otherwise you'd have to go up to at least 36 teams total, and even then each conference would have 3 6-team divisions, which would make ten games in the division (although as I think on this just now, the proposed 18-game schedule might accommodate that quite nicely).
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: jaydub on December 06, 2010, 11:17:03 pm
If they go to an 18 game schedule they're gonna need *****ic players.  The physical toll on those guys is enormous.  Even dumping a meaningless preseason game from the schedule, when you add playoffs on top of it - there's gonna be a lot more injuries like Frank Gore's.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2010, 11:20:44 pm
If they go to an 18 game schedule they're gonna need *****ic players.  The physical toll on those guys is enormous.  Even dumping a meaningless preseason game from the schedule, when you add playoffs on top of it - there's gonna be a lot more injuries like Frank Gore's.
True. That doesn't mean they aren't considering shortening the pre-season (mostly played by guys who don't make the team) and lengthening the regular season.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Choop on December 07, 2010, 12:08:06 am
that settles that, then. for the record, i said seven years to be generous. i'm thinking four or five tops in actuality, but since i proposed a bet i figured i'd better hedge a little. if there's no team there in three years, this wager will need to be revisited.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 07, 2010, 02:22:10 pm
Mark me down as not a fan of the 18-game schedule.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on December 07, 2010, 03:01:45 pm
Why not have an 18 game schedule?  Hell, make it 20.  If these gladiators wear themselves out bashing each other for our entertainment there's a pretty much endless supply clamoring to get the opportunity.  It's not like we're the Romans or something and have to capture foreign slaves to fill our coliseums. Institutionalized adulation and big money will ensure that we always have an ample supply of young men begging for the chance to cripple themselves so we have something to watch on those long winter nights.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2010, 03:04:11 pm
It's just going to fuck up the record book even more than when they jumped from 14 to 16. I don't like it *waves cane*
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: jaydub on December 07, 2010, 04:11:49 pm
Maybe so, AW - but its hard enough keeping the cast of characters straight at this point with the 4-6 year career these guys tend to have.  I like knowing there's a guy like Ray Lewis in Baltimore, or Barry Sanders in Detroit, or Steve Largent in Seattle.  Free agency messes it up some with the mobility of players between teams (although its fun to see someone like Randy Moss thrive under one system and flounder in another).  As much as I like the games, it makes me feel bad to see Jim Brown and Joe Namath struggling to get around in their 60s.  Joe Montana's a wreck too, and I watched his slow motion car crash of a career in a combination of horror and amazement at his perseverance as he came back from back surgeries and throwing-arm elbow problems, plus absorbing hit after hit from linebackers and D-linemen.  Maybe I'm too empathetic.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2010, 04:26:09 pm
Take a look at Earl the Pearl. Bum Phillips just destroyed that guy.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: AugustWest on December 07, 2010, 04:26:58 pm
Maybe so, AW - but its hard enough keeping the cast of characters straight at this point with the 4-6 year career these guys tend to have.  I like knowing there's a guy like Ray Lewis in Baltimore, or Barry Sanders in Detroit, or Steve Largent in Seattle.  Free agency messes it up some with the mobility of players between teams (although its fun to see someone like Randy Moss thrive under one system and flounder in another).  As much as I like the games, it makes me feel bad to see Jim Brown and Joe Namath struggling to get around in their 60s.  Joe Montana's a wreck too, and I watched his slow motion car crash of a career in a combination of horror and amazement at his perseverance as he came back from back surgeries and throwing-arm elbow problems, plus absorbing hit after hit from linebackers and D-linemen.  Maybe I'm too empathetic.

What is their pain and suffering compared to my desire for violent entertainment?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: pmcd9 on December 07, 2010, 05:36:13 pm
Mark me down as not a fan of the 18-game schedule.

Take a look at Earl the Pearl. Bum Phillips just destroyed that guy.

As much as I like the games, it makes me feel bad to see Jim Brown and Joe Namath struggling to get around in their 60s.  Joe Montana's a wreck too

Clearly there is too much money in the game.  If the players weren't being paid millions they might retire before they've wrecked themselves.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2010, 06:22:33 pm
Ash is right, as far as I can tell. I work with a guy who was the class of his team at Montana State. He's a wheel up here, but he is clearly still tore up that he doesn't play anymore.

On the other hand, Barry Sanders walked away early, as did Jim Brown - of course, they both said all they could say as individual players.

On the third hand, Britfar.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: jaydub on December 07, 2010, 07:33:47 pm
Barry Sanders said, many years later, that the reason he quit was he couldn't stand the culture of losing that was(is?) prevalent in the Lions organisation.  I don't know why he couldn't ask for a trade, seems like that would have been a reasonable out for him - and any number of teams would have rolled out a golden carpet for him.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: Nabubrush on December 07, 2010, 09:06:22 pm
My understanding is that Detroit was going to go to hell in a handbasket, but Barry was going to be beside them for the trip no matter what.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 14, 2010, 05:48:30 am
So, the Phillies signed Lee, making their starting four: Lee, Halliday, Oswalt and Hamels?

Hamels is their #4?

The Mets #4 is... Dillon Gee? Ollie fuck*ng Perez?

This one's gonna hurt, isn't it?
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2010, 12:29:44 am
Oh, I'm guessing they're gonna overpay a small handful of pitching flyers with injury issues who will... all end up injured.

There's really no one player left out there who fits the Mets' needs AND that they can afford, post-Madoff.

The Mets need a #2 starting pitcher like a starving man needs food and there ain't none of those left out there. Warrior Needs Food BADLY.

The Mets need a second-baseman who can actually hit a bit but... only one out there is Orlando Hudson and while he's certainly better than the Mets internal options, (a) he's old for a middle infielder and isn't what he used to be and (b) he's probably too rich for the ownership's blood.

The Mets need two or three fuckin' actual goddamned quality relievers, especially a quality lefty specialist.

They'll probably do something fuck*ng stupid like throw Rafael Soriano more years than he wants but more years than anyone else would give him and then announce he needs Tommy John surgery in March. Or fuckin' Carl Pavano. Or fuck fuck fuckin' Brad Penny.

Maybe they'll get lucky with some relievers, I don't know.
Title: Re: False Baseball for the New Generation
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 17, 2010, 12:35:46 am
It is a little known fact that "Beltre" is Dominican for "only tries during walk years".