The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on March 05, 2010, 05:55:35 pm

Title: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: side_show on March 05, 2010, 05:55:35 pm
I find truisms and maxims interesting. 

One of my favorites (see my sig) appears on  this list. (http://mfx.dasburo.com/art/truisms.html)

Additional favorites of mine are:

Don't be a dick.
This too shall pass.
&
It is what it is.

Also:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
- Mahatma Gandhi (attributed)
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: theinevitable on March 05, 2010, 10:14:59 pm
I had typed one out here and then the window got closed and I cannot remember it. It was a good one.

The two I remember are:
"at the end of the game, the king and the pawn get put in the same box."
and
"if work were good for you, the rich would leave none of it for the poor."
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: Choop on March 06, 2010, 03:50:14 am
if it tastes good, it probably isn't good for you. (this is much less true since i started cooking vegetables. i hope.)
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 06, 2010, 03:58:44 am
"If you can dance to it, it isn't real music" - my dad

"There are no unlucky pennies because, hell, it's free money lying on the ground, that's always lucky" - my grandfather
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: theinevitable on March 06, 2010, 04:18:14 am
My roommate's obnoxious, simplistic, doesn't-mean-anything motto is "shit matters."

Mine is "different things are different."

Lately I am trying to formulate a pithy way to say that anyone who tries to tell you that anything is easy or simple, especially moral judgments, is up to no good or trying to get you to do something.

I'm also a big fan of that trick where you tell someone to decide between voting for the rude, womanizing alcoholic and the polite, vegetarian non-drinker, and then SURPRISE the second guy is Hitler and the first guy is Winston Churchill or whatever. Which I guess goes back to what I said above... people are complicated and don't let anyone try to tell you it's easy to decide who is good.
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 06, 2010, 04:23:55 am
Dan, all you gotta do for that is quote "The Muppets Take Manhattan":

Peoples is peoples.

That basically shoots down anything.
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: Mr Trout on March 06, 2010, 04:33:12 am
Seven: this rule is so underrated
Keep your family and business completely seperated
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: greenkoolayd on March 06, 2010, 07:07:49 am
I'm also a big fan of that trick where you tell someone to decide between voting for the rude, womanizing alcoholic and the polite, vegetarian non-drinker, and then SURPRISE the second guy is Hitler and the first guy is Winston Churchill or whatever.

was hitler polite?  is it ignorant of me to find that hard to believe?

also:

"you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you have a glass jaw you should watch your mouth."
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: jaydub on March 06, 2010, 07:34:14 am
One of my favourite maxims is in my sig.  Most of the others can be found in Time Enough For Love.
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: dejavroom on March 08, 2010, 08:13:35 pm
From my dad: "The world's hard for those who're soft"
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: jay-ell on March 09, 2010, 01:28:45 am
My roommate's obnoxious, simplistic, doesn't-mean-anything motto is "shit matters."

Mine is "different things are different."


My ex's was, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

Personally, I like another Gandhi quote: "Live simply that others may simply live."

My paternal grandfather, who I never met, was a plumber, and he lived by the rule that you only needed to know 4 things to be a good plumber. They were (in order): 1) Water goes up, 2) Shit goes down, 3) Hot's on the left, and 4) Lunch is at noon.

Some famous quotes from my dad:

"Nothing hard is ever easy."
"If 'ifs' and 'buts' were fruit and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

And the most cryptic response to an "if" statement ever:

"If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a stagecoach."
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: Choop on March 09, 2010, 02:42:59 am
I think I've got one as cryptic: "If dog, rabbit." As pertains to the inevitability of the situation due to a fact in the past. I think.

as for gandhi, my favorite quote is: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
Title: Re: Truisms and Maxims
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 09, 2010, 03:01:08 am
Are you sayin' Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?