Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Truisms and Maxims  (Read 2079 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Truisms and Maxims
« on: March 05, 2010, 05:55:35 pm »

I find truisms and maxims interesting. 

One of my favorites (see my sig) appears on this list.

Additional favorites of mine are:

Don't be a dick.
This too shall pass.
&
It is what it is.

Also:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
- Mahatma Gandhi (attributed)
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:14:59 pm »

I had typed one out here and then the window got closed and I cannot remember it. It was a good one.

The two I remember are:
"at the end of the game, the king and the pawn get put in the same box."
and
"if work were good for you, the rich would leave none of it for the poor."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 03:50:14 am »

if it tastes good, it probably isn't good for you. (this is much less true since i started cooking vegetables. i hope.)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 03:58:44 am »

"If you can dance to it, it isn't real music" - my dad

"There are no unlucky pennies because, hell, it's free money lying on the ground, that's always lucky" - my grandfather
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 04:18:14 am »

My roommate's obnoxious, simplistic, doesn't-mean-anything motto is "shit matters."

Mine is "different things are different."

Lately I am trying to formulate a pithy way to say that anyone who tries to tell you that anything is easy or simple, especially moral judgments, is up to no good or trying to get you to do something.

I'm also a big fan of that trick where you tell someone to decide between voting for the rude, womanizing alcoholic and the polite, vegetarian non-drinker, and then SURPRISE the second guy is Hitler and the first guy is Winston Churchill or whatever. Which I guess goes back to what I said above... people are complicated and don't let anyone try to tell you it's easy to decide who is good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 04:23:55 am »

Dan, all you gotta do for that is quote "The Muppets Take Manhattan":

Peoples is peoples.

That basically shoots down anything.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 04:33:12 am »

Seven: this rule is so underrated
Keep your family and business completely seperated
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 07:07:49 am »

I'm also a big fan of that trick where you tell someone to decide between voting for the rude, womanizing alcoholic and the polite, vegetarian non-drinker, and then SURPRISE the second guy is Hitler and the first guy is Winston Churchill or whatever.

was hitler polite?  is it ignorant of me to find that hard to believe?

also:

"you shouldnt throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you have a glass jaw you should watch your mouth."
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 07:34:14 am »

One of my favourite maxims is in my sig.  Most of the others can be found in Time Enough For Love.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 08:13:35 pm »

From my dad: "The world's hard for those who're soft"
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 01:28:45 am »

My roommate's obnoxious, simplistic, doesn't-mean-anything motto is "shit matters."

Mine is "different things are different."


My ex's was, "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

Personally, I like another Gandhi quote: "Live simply that others may simply live."

My paternal grandfather, who I never met, was a plumber, and he lived by the rule that you only needed to know 4 things to be a good plumber. They were (in order): 1) Water goes up, 2) Shit goes down, 3) Hot's on the left, and 4) Lunch is at noon.

Some famous quotes from my dad:

"Nothing hard is ever easy."
"If 'ifs' and 'buts' were fruit and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas."

And the most cryptic response to an "if" statement ever:

"If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a stagecoach."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 02:42:59 am »

I think I've got one as cryptic: "If dog, rabbit." As pertains to the inevitability of the situation due to a fact in the past. I think.

as for gandhi, my favorite quote is: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Truisms and Maxims
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 03:01:08 am »

Are you sayin' Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: [1]   Go Up