The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on April 30, 2010, 06:54:07 pm

Title: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 30, 2010, 06:54:07 pm
(http://chiaroscu.ro/cuy.jpg)

It was served in a chili-peanut oil sauce with perfectly cooked potatoes and rice.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: AugustWest on April 30, 2010, 06:55:57 pm
I like how its feet are still attached.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Choop on April 30, 2010, 06:58:57 pm
also its head. how were the sweetbreads? i'd totally omnom that plate.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: jaydub on April 30, 2010, 07:01:31 pm
also its head.
I was hoping that was an oddly shaped potato.  'Pig braiinnsss
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 30, 2010, 07:02:22 pm
also its head. how were the sweetbreads? i'd totally omnom that plate.

Gutted out. Or indistinguishable from the meat. Overall the flavor is very much like dark meat chicken, but the texture is very similar to very very slow cooked veal. The skin was great. It was kind of bony but not as bad as I thought it would be.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 30, 2010, 07:10:16 pm
also its head. how were the sweetbreads? i'd totally omnom that plate.

I didn't crack open the head. Plastic utensils and not the biggest fan of brains, texture-wise.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: wombat on April 30, 2010, 07:24:04 pm
Where was this? Did you ask where they get their guinea pigs? I would never eat something out of those icky cages at Petsmart.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 30, 2010, 07:25:50 pm
Where was this? Did you ask where they get their guinea pigs? I would never eat something out of those icky cages at Petsmart.

Huascaran in Del Ray.
http://www.huascaranrestaurant.com/
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 30, 2010, 07:37:04 pm
Wait a minute, I'm missing something here. Guinea pigs are hairy. When I do up a rabbit or a squirrel (don't tell Tod) I gut 'em in the forest and then when I get home I take a pair of shears and lop off the feet, head and tail, Then I split the skin to the spine down the back and peel the hide off from the top down off the feet last. After that you can cook it up like any other carcass.

How do they get the hair off for cooking without peeling them first? A quick boil like for a chickens feathers or what?

I have no problem with a tasty critter in a peanut oil sauce, I'd just do it like I described above, sans hair/hide.

Good meal.

No idea how the hair was removed. Either it's burned or boiled or a top layer of skin is removed and Iwas dealing with an under-layer (isn't skin five layers thick?) I'd imagine a quick parboil for a wet-cook method like this.  This is the most traditional Andean way of doing it. Another method, which I'll try next week, will be rotisserie style.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: wombat on April 30, 2010, 08:05:48 pm
Huascaran in Del Ray.
http://www.huascaranrestaurant.com/

There's no guinea pig on that menu. Was it a special? I don't want to schlepp all the way to Del Ray for nothing.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: CortJstr on April 30, 2010, 08:25:05 pm
There's no guinea pig on that menu. Was it a special? I don't want to schlepp all the way to Del Ray for nothing.

IIRC the Del Ray art/craft fair is tomorrow. That's worth the schlep on its own.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: AugustWest on April 30, 2010, 09:36:21 pm
Wombat, perhaps you should contact the restaurant.  You could start ranching guinea pigs for them.

Food chain.  Get used to it.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: wombat on April 30, 2010, 10:09:46 pm
Geez, wombles, I gave you a home option, y'know.

I know, but like I said, I don't want to eat those ones at the nasty Petsmart.

Really, I don't think I could kill a guinea pig. I think mice and small birds are my limit.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: pmcd9 on May 01, 2010, 12:06:38 am
Man, that website was annoying as hell.  Also, as was stated above, no guinea pig on the menu.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: wombat on May 01, 2010, 12:43:24 am
I don't know what it is with restaurants that they all think their websites have to, like, sing and dance and do all kinds of shit instead of just sit there and convey information. It is definitely an epidemic, though, so much so that I now steel myself for it every time I look up a restaurant.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 01, 2010, 01:23:30 am
There's no guinea pig on that menu. Was it a special? I don't want to schlepp all the way to Del Ray for nothing.

It's not listed on the menu, but it's a weekend thing, yes.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: miles on May 01, 2010, 01:34:53 am
Man, that website was annoying as hell.  Also, as was stated above, no guinea pig on the menu.

Seriously, it was like 15 seconds before I could mute the fuck*ng sound. In internet time that's the lifespan of a guinea pig.

Quote from: wombat
I don't know what it is with restaurants that they all think their websites have to, like, sing and dance and do all kinds of shit instead of just sit there and convey information. It is definitely an epidemic, though, so much so that I now steel myself for it every time I look up a restaurant.

There could be money in creating software that would filter all the bullshit out of sites like that. Or even like just a website. You could totally sell that to Google in a couple years. But it's probably already been invented, right?
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 01, 2010, 01:55:53 am
Seriously, it was like 15 seconds before I could mute the fuck*ng sound. In internet time that's the lifespan of a guinea pig.

There could be money in creating software that would filter all the bullshit out of sites like that. Or even like just a website. You could totally sell that to Google in a couple years. But it's probably already been invented, right?


firefox + flashblock + noscript
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: wombat on May 01, 2010, 02:00:25 am
But if you do that stuff, is there anything left on the website that you can read?
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: wombat on May 01, 2010, 02:06:32 am
By the way, this (http://clientsfromhell.net/) is either a very funny or very depressing blog of stories sent in by web and other designers, often about how they are asked to make horrible things. For example:

Quote
Client:  ”I don’t want to use non moving buttons on the website for navigation.  Buttons are going the way of the dinosaur.”

Me:  ”What would you like me to use?”

Client:  ”A looping movie where the customer has to click on the fast moving objects to navigate through the site.  It will keep them on their toes.”
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 01, 2010, 02:09:44 am
They do have lomo saltado on the menu, so what more could you need?
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: wombat on May 01, 2010, 02:26:31 am
I don't have to go so far for that, is the thing.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 01, 2010, 02:40:23 am
I love the fact that I'm eating off-menu secret guinea pig before having an underground bacon party at a secret faceless bar.

Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 01, 2010, 03:06:57 am
There's no guinea pig on that menu. Was it a special? I don't want to schlepp all the way to Del Ray for nothing.

The potatoes come with guinea pig if you order them Guinea Pig Style
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Drygioni on May 01, 2010, 10:45:35 pm
Well I liked the website.

Try hard enough and you can rip the pages.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: lprkn on May 02, 2010, 12:47:59 am
By the way, this (http://clientsfromhell.net/) is either a very funny or very depressing blog of stories sent in by web and other designers, often about how they are asked to make horrible things.

Quote from: said blog
Change all text in safety calendar to a kids font like Comic Sans, we want it to look like a kid made the entire calendar.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: jay-ell on May 04, 2010, 09:12:40 pm
Sorry to be late to the party, but I suspect the hair was burned off. That's how they prep rats, or so I hear.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: jaydub on May 04, 2010, 11:27:23 pm
Sorry to be late to the party, but I suspect the hair was burned off. That's how they prep rats, or so I hear.

I think the foodie term is "singed".
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 16, 2010, 04:20:26 am
Oops, I did it again. I barbequed two today and sent the recipe to Onstad.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: Doc on May 16, 2010, 04:53:49 am
But did you eat a Guinea Fowl and a Chicken in the same animal?
The same animal with Four Wings? (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7722786/Pictured-Ugly-chick-born-with-four-wings.html)

So this is only barely related to the thread at hand by a quirk of language. Fuck you.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: wombat on May 16, 2010, 12:16:44 pm
Dammit Bobby, don't distract the man. He said in the super-secret assbar of the new cookbook, and I quote "WHICH I SWEAR TO GOD IS COMING OUT IN JUNE OR I WILL PUT MY ARMS IN A BLENDER," and I'm planning to hold him to it.  It's no time to be giving him new ideas.
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: jaydub on May 17, 2010, 03:10:17 pm
Does that mean we'll have you to blame when he can't draw drag pixels anymore come July?
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: wombat on May 17, 2010, 03:42:45 pm
Oh, you know me. I'm sure I'll forgive him again. He promises he'll change!
Title: Re: So I ate a guinea pig for lunch. Go fuck yourself.
Post by: jaydub on May 17, 2010, 06:15:02 pm
Wombat's in a dysfunctional relationship with her cartoonist.