The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Asherdan on June 04, 2010, 04:41:05 pm

Title: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Asherdan on June 04, 2010, 04:41:05 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jay-ell on June 04, 2010, 05:27:44 pm
Well, I'd probably not go. If it's a cracked/broken rib -- which is what it sounds like -- they're going to tell you to do the stuff you're already doing and charge you money for the privilege of hearing stuff you already know. The only benefit would be that they can confirm that you're not going to kick off any time soon (of this particular malady) and maybe write you a script for some good stuff.

About a year ago, my son kicked me in the face while we were wrestling and I am still pretty sure he broke my nose a little. But after the initial swelling went down, it wasn't crooked (any more than usual) or anything, so I just kept icing it and taking ibuprofen until my body forgot about it. Maybe not the smartest course of action, but definitely the cheapest.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: wombat on June 04, 2010, 05:32:19 pm
I would go. Better safe than sorry.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: pmcd9 on June 04, 2010, 05:33:30 pm
Broken ribs are fuck*ng painful as hell, but there is really nothing you can do about it except take it easy until it heals.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: AugustWest on June 04, 2010, 05:49:37 pm
Yeah, I'd say it depends on your co-pay.  If it's cheap, what the hell -- get an x-ray.  But if you're not coughing up and/or pissing blood...
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Choop on June 04, 2010, 06:25:16 pm
i'm with auggie. if you can get your insurance to pay for x-rays but not an MRI, know that ahead of time. maybe have your lady wrap you up in ace bandages to restrict movement a bit extra.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 04, 2010, 07:48:17 pm
I'm with AugustWest and Choop on this as well.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: smick on June 04, 2010, 07:56:45 pm
i'm with auggie. if you can get your insurance to pay for x-rays but not an MRI, know that ahead of time. maybe have your lady wrap you up in ace bandages to restrict movement a bit extra.

BDSM solves everything.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jaydub on June 04, 2010, 09:42:50 pm
If you can sleep, eat, and breathe (bonus points for going to work), and your co-pay/fee is more than your tolerance for mis-spent cash, suck it up and fantasize about your hoss tap-dancing on Schlereth.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Drygioni on June 04, 2010, 11:44:15 pm
Sorry to be blunt.

But don't be a cocking idiot. Not saying you are but continued (tongue in cheek) manly posturing over this will make you so.

I know many climbers and mountaineer, er, people who have been cut down in their prime sporting-wise due to not getting a little niggle fixed which has led to long-term problems and at the very least an extra few weeks out of action on doctor's orders, when it could have been days if they'd gone immediately.

Difference is, there all young'uns who may piss and moan at not being able to climb for a couple of weeks. You're a venerable bloke who has responsibilities extending towards dependants. While this might be nothing, what % of risk does it have to be that it'll cause long term damage before you'd get it checked out? Is even 5% worth it when it's your temple like body?


You have to pay for it? Bugger that for a laugh
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 05, 2010, 01:34:54 am
i think The Kid just took you to school in the family-mobile of lecture, ashy.

the 'ghetto' translation from babelgiraffe states: "you just got stole, nigga!"
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Choop on June 05, 2010, 03:28:57 am
just took you to school in the family-mobile of lecture


so good
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: AugustWest on June 05, 2010, 03:30:43 am
He kinda did, didn't he?
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 05, 2010, 03:38:48 am
I'm of the "better safe than sorry" camp in all things, unless the cost is incredibly dear.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jay-ell on June 05, 2010, 03:50:34 am
I'm not sure if Judy's taking Ash to task for taking unnecessary risks with his body, or if he's dissing the entire American healthcare system for being expensive and ineffectual.

Either way, cans.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: schnitzelbank on June 05, 2010, 07:26:22 am
The chance of shenanigans driven by newly pokey bits in your insides, though it may be small, should prompt a visit to the doctor. Better safe than sorry, as others have said. 
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Doc on June 05, 2010, 12:27:18 pm
I might just be keeping my future profession afloat here, but I'd say go, if only to get an x-ray but then I worry about that kind of thing. On the outside chance that you cracked a vertebrae or something, it's worth knowing about. Or as Judy says you might have something that needs a bit of physio and is better dealt with earlier rather than later.
That said, probably just broken ribs and if they were poking into anything you'd probably know about it by now. Definitely go if anything changes though, start running a fever etc.

Oh and Judy gets a can from one socialist commonwealth to another. It took me halfway down the thread to realise you guys were all saying you might not go to the doctor because it would cost money.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Mr Trout on June 06, 2010, 12:05:08 pm
As someone who doesn't have insurance due to freelancing I say what the fuck are you fencesitting about grab a book and sit in the waiting room you fuck*ng leotard.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jay-ell on June 06, 2010, 10:55:56 pm
As someone who doesn't have insurance due to freelancing I say what the fuck are you fencesitting about grab a book and sit in the waiting room you fuck*ng leotard.

Cann'd for reading Savage Love.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: lprkn on June 07, 2010, 03:24:37 am
I listen to the podcast, it has filled the Loveline-shaped hole in my heart.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: side_show on June 07, 2010, 05:41:41 pm
As a Canadian, I basically do not understand why you wouldn't go to a doctor.  But then, I can go to a doctor for no reason whenever I want to for free.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Drygioni on June 08, 2010, 02:04:18 am
Look at us free healthcare lot rubbing it in. Sorry Ash. Do not go to the doctor if you think it's not worth it.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Doc on June 08, 2010, 02:21:44 am
Yeah you guys keep having fun titrating cost against being alive and healthy.

Does freedom smell like gangrene?
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 08, 2010, 03:20:41 am
"Life is a bitch.  Buy bandaids." <----- that is what freedom smells like to me.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: smick on June 15, 2010, 09:26:09 pm
I listen to the podcast, it has filled the Loveline-shaped hole in my heart.

My ladyfriend listens to Loveline when she works nights.   She has explained to me that every call boils down to "Who touched you?  Dad?  Uncle?  Cousin?"

Quote from: Loveline
Caller: Hey Striker, Hey Drew... I'm calling because I'm 16, and I love my boyfriend very much and we want to be safe, so I'm looking for some safer sex resources in my...

Drew: Who touched you, caller?

Caller: M...my dad.

Drew: Caller, you're going to need to get in touch with some groups in your area, therapy is going to be the only way to deal with this...
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 15, 2010, 10:26:49 pm
As someone who doesn't have insurance due to freelancing I say what the fuck are you fencesitting about grab a book and sit in the waiting room you fuck*ng leotard.
These guys were kind of a big deal when I was in NYC: http://www.freelancersunion.org/
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: wombat on June 15, 2010, 10:55:50 pm
Are you saying a freelancer can get HMO coverage for $90 a month? If so, things sure have changed since the last time we didn't have employer health coverage a few years ago. It was about ten times that as I recall.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: wombat on June 16, 2010, 12:09:03 am
That must just be in California. I just checked their website and the cheapest plan I could get in my state is 175 a month for an individual with an 8000 deductable.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Mr Trout on June 16, 2010, 12:55:11 am
They don't offer insurance in my area :(

I'm on a waiting list for a Maryland State plan, but it takes a while to get into. I've tried to get into a traditional private plan but the costs are a bit crazy due to pre-existing conditions.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on June 16, 2010, 12:59:58 am
Counting family plans per head is not going to stack up with individual  plans, me thinks. Especially not a family plan from 2007.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Choop on June 16, 2010, 04:28:30 am
in general, the answer to the question "is ___ being stupid about this?" is "yep you bet"
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Doc on June 16, 2010, 08:55:58 am
no-cost-to-you-directly-but-not-really

Quite the opposite. I know I'm paying for it (and I'm happy to) so I'm damn sure going to use it and I'm not going to wait till I get sicker and start costing myself even more money because of loss of work etc.

Pain vs. injury is a common sense thing which all people should exercise but this thread sounded like people balancing injury against cost which just doesn't make sense because injury will generally cost you more in the long run. One way to deal with it is just pony up and make it so everyone's already paid so they don't have to think about it anymore. It ain't perfect but it's working ok for a bunch of people.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: wombat on June 16, 2010, 02:31:13 pm
Perhaps you'll come out ahead by not living in a country where you're surrounded by people who are suffering for lack of health care. I like to believe that in the middle of the night when you look into deep into your blackened, shriveled heart (and I mean that in the nicest possible way), you really do see this.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jay-ell on June 16, 2010, 02:42:11 pm
Quite the opposite. I know I'm paying for it (and I'm happy to) so I'm damn sure going to use it and I'm not going to wait till I get sicker and start costing myself even more money because of loss of work etc.

Pain vs. injury is a common sense thing which all people should exercise but this thread sounded like people balancing injury against cost which just doesn't make sense because injury will generally cost you more in the long run. One way to deal with it is just pony up and make it so everyone's already paid so they don't have to think about it anymore. It ain't perfect but it's working ok for a bunch of people.

Listen to this man. He is a doc, after all.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 16, 2010, 03:23:28 pm
You're the Doc, Doc.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: wombat on June 16, 2010, 05:39:26 pm
Well, I won't mention what I do specifically anymore because it botherifies some folks around these parts but if you cast your mind on that you certainly do know that I am not for suffering and want.

I know that. So I'm surprised that you seem so concerned that it might mean some sacrifice on your part.  Also, is it really totally a sacrifice - I'm willing to pay more to be sure that, for instance, the people who are handling my food in restaurants can afford to be healthy. It benefits me as well. It also benefits me not to live in a situation where I am one job-loss away from not having health insurance. I'm always mystified by people who are so worried about maybe losing some of what they have if there's reform, when they are SURE to lose what they have if they lose their jobs.

Of course, the implementation will be probably less than ideal - what implementation isn't? But it has gotten to the point that we can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, and all.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Choop on June 16, 2010, 08:30:19 pm
call me a mook, then. for like decades the whole world was set upon improving the social safety nets on which each of their citizens could rely. most of the world got healthcare; we got a federal retirement plan and easy home loans. now there's this federal health insurance system that people are afraid of which *could* have cost less than the taxes that already pay for the same care this new scheme's meant to provide for, but the hitler and marx propaganda all over AM got the idiot masses to motivate their representatives to de-tooth the bastard that could have fixed fuck*ng something.

back when the boomers were born the richest folks paid over 80% in income tax, and that system kind of led through the sixties to, oh what was it called- "unprecedented prosperity" i think. you know, it paid for like, social security and highways and trips to the moon and shit. in fact, up till reagan the top bracket paid roundabout 70%. remember trickle-down? i can tell you i'm in one of the middle brackets, and i haven't experienced much of a trickle to me. i'd wager those that should be caught in the net are tumbling through it because it's crumbling to dust like a lost flannel shirt in the desert.

you do get that we're already paying for indigent care through taxes, right, you get that? i'm not even trying to buy my own security here, i have a job that looks like it'll last a good while. i want to use my taxes and yours and warren buffett's and steve jobs's to buy security for those who can't.


FUCK why do i ever talk politics with people i just come off sounding dumber than when i started.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Doc on June 17, 2010, 09:07:34 am
See you on the other side of the fence in 2012, mate. I'm sure I'll have a ripping good time trying to see how I've come out ahead on the deal.

Hey, here's hoping, right? I'm sure if everyone pulls together in the spirit of brotherly good will something truly great could happen.

Yeah, ok, so I see where your problem is, but still.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: smick on July 30, 2010, 07:06:42 pm
I like my doc. Next week we're going to take pictures of my heart to make sure I actually have one.

SOON:
(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Sh4Gj_XvfXA/SnSpPI_rABI/AAAAAAAABDI/-WqLgiLASsI/s400/grinch%27s+heart.jpg)
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: side_show on August 03, 2010, 04:26:53 pm
SOON:
(http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Sh4Gj_XvfXA/SnSpPI_rABI/AAAAAAAABDI/-WqLgiLASsI/s400/grinch%27s+heart.jpg)

That is exactly what I was thinking.  Canned.

In other news, due to my digestive problems of late, I went in to the doc for some post-test follow ups, and the doc tells me "you have _______ disease, but don't worry, almost everyone ends up with  ____________.  I have ______________.  You're a little young to have _____________, but one in three people ends up with __________.  All you need to do is up your fiber in take, and you'll be fine. "

I left feeling odd about the whole deal, and then promptly forgot all about it until my husband asked about the doc appt. 

"How was the appointment?"
"Oh, I have some disease.  It's no big deal though."
"What?"
"I just have to eat more fiber.  Apparently it's no big deal."

I can't recall the name of the disease off the top of my head, but I researched it a bit online after the converstation with my husband, and sure enough, it's not a big deal, and intentionally eating some bran and high fiber bread seems to fix me right up.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jay-ell on August 03, 2010, 05:33:02 pm
Hooray for no-big-deal medical problems! Fiber rocks (the colon), I could probably use more of that myself to be honest.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jay-ell on August 03, 2010, 07:55:36 pm
I just replaced two toilets in my house, they give me no worries.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 03, 2010, 08:28:01 pm
Psht, so glad to still be young enough to just worry about peeing in toilets, and not old enough to worry about replacing them. You guys are so old.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: side_show on August 03, 2010, 09:26:07 pm
Oh yeah, well that mistake you're about to make in a couple weeks?  We know better.  Hah.

Seriously though, I've had significant autoimmune problems since I was in my early teens, so the failings of my body are not particularly age related.  Besides, Angelina Jolie is more than three years older than me, so really, I'm not particularly old, yet. 

I look forward to getting there though.  I've always felt old on the scale of "shit I've been through in this life".  I just hope the whole system doesn't break down even worse.  If I can maintain the level of health I'm at, I'm good.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jay-ell on August 04, 2010, 02:13:44 pm
Aren't we about the same age, smells? IIRC, there's a weirdly high proportion of people on this board who were born between 1978 and 1980.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: side_show on August 04, 2010, 09:17:04 pm
Yup - 1978 representing.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 04, 2010, 09:35:33 pm
Also in 1978: The first computer bulletin board.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: pmcd9 on August 05, 2010, 12:23:26 am
Get off my lawn.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: smick on August 05, 2010, 02:15:39 am
U. S. Mick Spirit of '76
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: robot_god on August 05, 2010, 07:25:22 am
Haven't you guys heard?  Thirty is the new 21.  Forty is the new thirty.  Fifty is the new forty five, and seventy is the new sixty.  We're all good to go!
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 05, 2010, 12:43:09 pm
Haven't you guys heard?  Thirty is the new 21.  Forty is the new thirty.  Fifty is the new forty five, and seventy is the new sixty.  We're all good to go!
Is that what youre telling yourselves?






LOL
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jay-ell on August 05, 2010, 01:17:59 pm
I really do not want to do 21 again. I mean, it was fine the first time, I guess, but things didn't really start getting good until about 24 or so.

Can 30 be the new 25? I could do 25 - 30 again.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 05, 2010, 01:34:21 pm
These posts remind me of the only rap musician I respect. He literally makes good credit fashionable and might make you old people feel hip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn4J6yyMKKo
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: AugustWest on August 05, 2010, 02:06:27 pm
Is that what youre telling yourselves?






LOL

Good thing you're never going to get any older.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: side_show on August 05, 2010, 06:45:22 pm
Oh man, I would never do my 20's again.  That was such a hard decade.  Good times.  Hard times.  Lots of things I'd never want to live through twice.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jaydub on August 09, 2010, 03:40:59 pm
Diverticulitis?   My mom got diagnosed with that a little while back.  Not really a disease - a condition.  Like baldness.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: side_show on August 09, 2010, 05:56:51 pm
Diverticulitis?   My mom got diagnosed with that a little while back.  Not really a disease - a condition.  Like baldness.

Yup - that's the one.  Considering it's low on the "disease I have that require attention" I have basically forgotten about it, apart from eating an All Bran cereal bar most mornings for breakfast.

For those keeping score, diseases I have been diagnosed with and am currently dealing with on some level, in order of shittiness:

Osteoarthritis with nonspecific rheumatoid symptoms (in my lower back, hips, knees, right foot and jaw) - had it since I was 16.  Sucks.  I refuse to take pain meds though.
Hypothyroidism - also had it since I was sixteen.  I'm on coast with my meds these days, but when I crash, I crash hard.
Psoriasis - minor sporadic outbreaks.  Ugly, itchy, flaky.  Occasional affronts to my vanity.
Diverticulitis - occasional digestive issues, basically feels the same as when you eat too much pizza.

Plus I got depression (though not a problem lately!) and a back injury I've almost recovered from.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jaydub on August 09, 2010, 06:09:36 pm
On a similar note, had to explain to the oldest the other day that the dogs laying turds the consistency of pumice stones did not mean they were dying of something odd. It meant he should have spaced out the ham shanks they got fed.
I'm frequently amazed by the digestive powers of my dog.  I gave her (30lb fluffy white American Eskimo, for those not keeping score) a big ol' hunk of pig bone (piece of pelvis or something) which she dragged behind the trash can and demolished in about 15min.  Nothing left.  I was sure it would last her at least a week of gnawing.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: CortJstr on August 09, 2010, 07:29:37 pm
Diverticulitis - occasional digestive issues, basically feels the same as when you eat too much pizza.

My grandboss got this hard 2 years ago. She can never eat nuts or seeds again.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jay-ell on August 09, 2010, 08:56:32 pm
That must have been what my grandmother had. She couldn't eat nuts or seeds, but I didn't know why.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: side_show on August 10, 2010, 01:35:29 pm
The interesting thing is that from what I've read, the advice to avoid nuts and seeds if you have diverticulitis (which is not something my doctor suggested) is an old school idea and not based in any scientific fact.  The Mayo Clinic info indicates that it's okay to eat nuts, seeds, etc. which is good news, because I really enjoy nuts, especially in a stir fry.
Title: Re: Is Asherdan Being Stupid About This?
Post by: jay-ell on August 17, 2010, 02:03:34 pm
peeled a couple of millimeters off my heart wall

My, what a disturbing mental image.

All Mola Ram sticking his fingers in your chest, all "Kali ma shakti de, kali ma shakti de, -- by the way, I charge by the hour -- kali ma..." All Ash trying to bill his health insurance for services rendered by a Thuggee high priest but not knowing the provider code.