The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: miles on June 17, 2010, 11:35:10 pm

Title: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
Post by: miles on June 17, 2010, 11:35:10 pm
(http://www.smartalecmusic.com/shider.jpg)

RIP Garry Shider, Diaper Man (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ictgAUfeA32F2S38rbK7Cl6KtLjAD9GDADJO0).

What a great guitarist/performer. I saw him a couple times with P-Funk. I think I've talked about P-Funk shows here before, and mentioned that the last one I went to was basically the greatest party I ever attended. He also sings lead on one of my favorite songs ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rrOdcnFbAY). Hit the bong up there for me, Starchild.
Title: Re: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
Post by: pmcd9 on June 18, 2010, 06:39:09 am
:(
Title: Re: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
Post by: AugustWest on June 18, 2010, 12:52:40 pm
:(

yeah.  Guess he made the mothership connection.
Title: Re: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 18, 2010, 05:08:20 pm
i wonder if the scientologists ever tried to use p-funks space imagery for advertising purposes.
Title: Re: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
Post by: wombat on June 18, 2010, 05:10:42 pm
I know nothing about these guys but this article in the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/11/AR2010041103996.html (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/11/AR2010041103996.html)
is really wonderful. It's about trying to find out what happened to the Mothership. You probably need to register to read it, but do it.
Title: Re: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
Post by: miles on July 01, 2010, 12:13:15 am
Finally read that and it really is great. I liked this:

Quote
"Sly Stone said, 'I Want to Take You Higher.' George Clinton said, 'Yeah, and I got the Mothership to take you there.'

and this:

Quote
"I find it much more satisfying to imagine this sacred artifact bound firmly in the bosom of the strong black communities that straddle the D.C. line between Suitland and Seat Pleasant. This was always the heart of P-Funk's base of support in Chocolate City," he writes. "It is very important, I think, that we not seek truth at the expense of myth. Music and Myth are, after all, P-Funk's most enduring legacy."

and especially this:

Quote
On a chilly Friday at dawn, the only thing that seems real in these woods are the vines that strangle your ankles with every step. Swiffer broomstick in hand, you can thwack away at the bushes for hours without hearing a . . .

CLANG!!

The Mothership?

No. Chrome toilet bowl. Another false alarm. Definitely the funkiest.

That reminds me. Sometimes I'll check the board when I have a few spare moments, and won't have time to read an article like the one Wombat linked to. Has anyone tried Instapaper (http://www.instapaper.com/)? I found it through this article (http://www.slate.com/id/2251794). Incidentally, the other site mentioned in that article, longform.org (http://longform.org/) has a lot of great long-form article recommendations. But what is great about Instapaper is you can add a 'Read Later' button to your bookmark bar, and from any site it will add an article to a list you can easily refer back to. You have to register but it's free and bizarrely easy. If you add an article like the Mothership article that is broken up into several pages, apparently you only get the first saved as text on the Instapaper site, but you can easily click a link that will take you to the original article. But if the site has a function which allows to view a printable version, it will save the entire text to the site, which is nice because it's annoying for me (but I imagine good for the website) to click through to the next page like 5 times for a relatively short article. Anyway, I imagine this is old-hat for most of you, but this is like the greatest time waster for me now at work (when sometimes I'll have spare time to read longer articles) since I discovered Google Reader.