Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky  (Read 2354 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
« on: June 17, 2010, 11:35:10 pm »



RIP Garry Shider, Diaper Man.

What a great guitarist/performer. I saw him a couple times with P-Funk. I think I've talked about P-Funk shows here before, and mentioned that the last one I went to was basically the greatest party I ever attended. He also sings lead on one of my favorite songs ever. Hit the bong up there for me, Starchild.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 06:39:09 am »

:(
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 12:52:40 pm »

:(

yeah.  Guess he made the mothership connection.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 05:08:20 pm »

i wonder if the scientologists ever tried to use p-funks space imagery for advertising purposes.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 05:10:42 pm »

I know nothing about these guys but this article in the Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/11/AR2010041103996.html
is really wonderful. It's about trying to find out what happened to the Mothership. You probably need to register to read it, but do it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The Great Diaper Bin in the Sky
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 12:13:15 am »

Finally read that and it really is great. I liked this:

Quote
"Sly Stone said, 'I Want to Take You Higher.' George Clinton said, 'Yeah, and I got the Mothership to take you there.'

and this:

Quote
"I find it much more satisfying to imagine this sacred artifact bound firmly in the bosom of the strong black communities that straddle the D.C. line between Suitland and Seat Pleasant. This was always the heart of P-Funk's base of support in Chocolate City," he writes. "It is very important, I think, that we not seek truth at the expense of myth. Music and Myth are, after all, P-Funk's most enduring legacy."

and especially this:

Quote
On a chilly Friday at dawn, the only thing that seems real in these woods are the vines that strangle your ankles with every step. Swiffer broomstick in hand, you can thwack away at the bushes for hours without hearing a . . .

CLANG!!

The Mothership?

No. Chrome toilet bowl. Another false alarm. Definitely the funkiest.

That reminds me. Sometimes I'll check the board when I have a few spare moments, and won't have time to read an article like the one Wombat linked to. Has anyone tried Instapaper? I found it through this article. Incidentally, the other site mentioned in that article, longform.org has a lot of great long-form article recommendations. But what is great about Instapaper is you can add a 'Read Later' button to your bookmark bar, and from any site it will add an article to a list you can easily refer back to. You have to register but it's free and bizarrely easy. If you add an article like the Mothership article that is broken up into several pages, apparently you only get the first saved as text on the Instapaper site, but you can easily click a link that will take you to the original article. But if the site has a function which allows to view a printable version, it will save the entire text to the site, which is nice because it's annoying for me (but I imagine good for the website) to click through to the next page like 5 times for a relatively short article. Anyway, I imagine this is old-hat for most of you, but this is like the greatest time waster for me now at work (when sometimes I'll have spare time to read longer articles) since I discovered Google Reader.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1]   Go Up