The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: fanta on August 18, 2010, 07:21:15 am
-
damn, so they (the Americans) got a whole army over there, but I guess they're too busy killing babies and such to be much help to the people in Pakistan. I think they just lost the war in Afghanistan. More than they were already losing it, I mean.
-
I guess if you're gonna find yourself in harm's way, better to be in the company of many than in the company of a few, as this will better arouse sympathy of others... e.g. terrorism, you get offed by a terrorist, people will be like, 'damn sucks to be him,' but if a few thousand perish with you, congress will be like 'damn we need to bail out their families.'
But Pakistan has outdone it's self. They hit that optimal sympathy scale, and they just kept on going exponentially until the number of people in harm's way far exceeds the sympathy the world has for them. If anything, it diminishes the sympathy, because people are like 'well, no one's gonna want to bail out that many people. They're screwed. oh well. Might as well not do anything.'
-
Yeah, this seems to be getting a lot less attention in the States than either the Haiti earthquake or the tsunami a few years ago. Sad.
-
Part of that may be due to the nature of the disaster. People hear "flood" and think, OK, there's some property damage and hell of cleanup involved, but you don't get the same image of cataclysmic destruction that you get when you hear "earthquake" or "tidal wave".
-
Anybody remember what happened around Nashville in May this year?
Horrible guitar carnage.
-
I don't think it's because it's a flood vs earthquake as much as because it's brown skinned people vs whites. Also because they're poor too. And because they're all terrorists. At least, in the U.S. I think that's how it goes. The U.S. conservative mindset is a little ironic in this respect because this is a group of people who think war=good, and if you want the war, and you want it to be halfways winable, these people are key.
Trying to find logical explanations for the reaction in the U.S. isn't very logical given that this is a population that votes for politicians based on feeeeeling. For logic I think you need some kind of reasoning capability no?
-
Am I the only one here who saw the numerous reports of US forces flying mercy missions ASAP to deliver aid faster and before taliban groups could? So that we can both help the people in trouble and improve our image in the area? Because these were all over the news and nightline. I'm not saying we went in and solved the crisis, but it is not like we just ignored it either.
-
I don't think it's because it's a flood vs earthquake as much as because it's brown skinned people vs whites. Also because they're poor too. And because they're all terrorists. At least, in the U.S. I think that's how it goes. The U.S. conservative mindset is a little ironic in this respect because this is a group of people who think war=good, and if you want the war, and you want it to be halfways winable, these people are key.
Nothing like keeping an open mind instead of making broad based generalizations, is there?
-
Anybody remember what happened around Nashville in May this year? So yeah, WHAT AUGUST SAID!
yes. i don't know how bad those pansy-assed big city fancy-##### had it but herebouts it's still pretty fucked up.
i'm a gonna guess that pakistan isn't going to get a whole hell of a lot of sympathy from poor folk in nowheresville who lost their "rent to own" house and their "rent to own" big screen only recently and are still dicking around with FEMA.
also, is pakistan the one who hates the US or the one who doesn't give a shit about the US, one of those flood victims might ask themselves.
i wouldn't even hazard a guess as to wonder what folk on the gulf shore are thinking.
-
Nothing like keeping an open mind instead of making broad based generalizations, is there?
The current state of the art science tells us that the mind can grapple with at most 10 or so concepts or ideas at once. Since the physical world is comprised of more than 10 distinct things, we need systems of organization. E.g. chapters in books, political spectra (e.g. right to left), and so on. If you don't agree with my way of categorizing things, that's one thing, but it's false to equate categorization and organization with close-mindedness. You probably won't agree with how I categorize and organize things because I'm smarter than you. That's okay, however. We can't all be equally smart. ; - )
-
Am I the only one here who saw the numerous reports of US forces flying mercy missions ASAP to deliver aid faster and before taliban groups could? So that we can both help the people in trouble and improve our image in the area? Because these were all over the news and nightline. I'm not saying we went in and solved the crisis, but it is not like we just ignored it either.
Eh, that's just a dog and pony show. But these are brown skinned people we're talking about, and not even Americans, so it'll do nicely. Tons of supplies, tons! and millions of dollars! Yes that's right, millions!! Initial response was like, a few helicopters. You could count on your hands the number of helicopters devoted to the effort by the U.S. I mean, if it wasn't all just a PR scam, there would be some acknowledgment on the part of U.S. officials that our efforts basically are a drop in the bucket and are unacceptable, and the reason for this is X or Y obstacles, and we're working to overcome those obstacles or whatever, but no, it's all just fuck*ng PR. Hell, 75% of the gulf oil is gone, didn't you hear! Gone! Fuck this administration, and fuck any "news" source that gives it any degree of credence by parroting it's shit. I mean seriously.
-
(http://houndbound.com/dogblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/pug-fight.jpg)
-
(http://www.kentuckianapugs.com/images/image_caringforpug4.jpg)
^^^HES COMIN AS FAST AS HE CAN TO THE FLOOD PEOPLES
(Obvious troll is obvious)
-
I'm smarter than you.
Based on any so-called objective measure you'd care to name, I both humbly and sincerely doubt that.
-
I'm just wondering, is this a more or less normal occurrence in Pakistan or is this a freak flood?
-
Also, to get a little perspective I looked up the size of the country. I was surprised to discover that Pakistan is basically 4 times the size of Texas.
-
Nonsense. NOTHING is bigger than Texas.
-
Last week one of DC United's supporter groups was selling t-shirts that say "We Mess with Texas" in United colors (black & white). Making these in burgundy and gold would a a license to print money. Not to mention a lawsuit from Dan Snyder.
-
I'm just wondering, is this a more or less normal occurrence in Pakistan or is this a freak flood?
Isn't Pakistan always having some kind of natural disaster or another? I think it was just a really bad spot to locate a country.
-
is fanta someone's multi?
-
Isn't Pakistan always having some kind of natural disaster or another? I think it was just a really bad spot to locate a country.
That would be Turkey. Also Iran sometimes. Turkey should be a black hole with all the social and tectonic forces acting on it.
-
is fanta someone's multi?
Fanta is the resident troll. Hes had a couple dozen names so far.
-
yeah I'm Mr. Wonderful
Based on any so-called objective measure you'd care to name, I both humbly and sincerely doubt that.
Okay... we doing this then. I guess it depends on how we define being smart.
One test we could do is we each register a new account on assetbar, and see who can get the most chubbies. First one to 10 comments with 10 chubbies wins. Or something like that.
Alternatively, maybe an online IQ test.
Alternatively, we could compare c*ck sizes.
-
Or first person to get a fuck*ng life. AW wins.
-
One test we could do is we each register a new account on assetbar, and see who can get the most chubbies.
Yeah, they love you over there.
-
Okay... we doing this then. I guess it depends on how we define being smart.
Dude, I don't know if you know who you're dealing with. AW was on Jeopardy!, and brought the Win on Day 1.
That's pretty much all you need to know. Winning on Jeopardy! == smarter than everyone else here (except maybe Wombat, who has a PhD).
-
Nah, AW was smart enough not to get a PhD.
-
Jeopardy! is all rigged. They feed them the answers through brain implants. Sometimes when they get the camera angle wrong you can see the shadow of the wires coming out the back of their heads. At least that was in the beginning I'm sure it's wireless nowadays.
-
Jeopardy! is all rigged. They feed them the answers through brain implants. Sometimes when they get the camera angle wrong you can see the shadow of the wires coming out the back of their heads. At least that was in the beginning I'm sure it's wireless nowadays.
yes, they totally do jeopardy wirelessly nowadays.
-
So anyway, back to the floods in Pakistan... Nah, I'm just jerking your chain.
-
Hey Fanta, I have a mensa card and IHIS card, but my NRA card gets me hotel discounts
-
Hey Fanta, I have a mensa card and IHIS card, but my NRA card gets me hotel discounts
So will an AARP card...
-
So will an AARP card...
What is it like to be old? Do you need to write down notes so you know where your car keys are?
-
30% off at wendy's
-
30% off at wendy's
and a free can
-
What is it like to be old? Do you need to write down notes so you know where your car keys are?
Nah, you just always leave 'em in the same place.
-
Nah, you just always leave 'em in the same place.
Until your kids take them away...
...for safety.
-
Until your kids take them away...
...for safety.
due to punishments?
-
Nah, you just always leave 'em in the same place.
(http://9gag.com/photo/28702_540.jpg)
-
how about the model where it's a giant dildo nailed into the wall and the key ring is threaded through the tip of an actual condom.
-
That sounds entirely useless. How do you get your keys if they are trapped in a condom? Are you seriously supposed to thread the key ring out of the hole in the condom every time you need your keys? An idea that dumb could only come from you, fanta.
-
what? Dude I thought my description was pretty clear and unambiguous. You should give me more credit than that. Here's a friggin' picture:
http://midconet.net/achewoodtest/dildo_keychain_holder/
As you can see, the condom can be conveniently rolled up when the keys are in use. To store the keys, simply unroll the condom onto the dildo hanger.
Pictured is the suction cup model.
-
I like the thought that fanta made those pictures especially for us from things he had lying around the house.
-
I like the thought that fanta made those pictures especially for us from things he had lying around the house.
hahahaha
Anyway, while Im convinced that it exists at least in your bathroom, I am not convinced of its functionality. How many times can a condom be unrolled and rerolled and still hold on to a dildo? If you ever made friends and they came to your house, do you have to explain why there is a dildo on your wall or would they make their own assumptions? When you are out in public do people think you like to have protected sex with your keys?
-
A more durable idea would be to have the dildo as a keychain and a fleshlight mounted on the wall to put it in. You could even make it one of those sleek, silver dildos so people don't necessarily think you have a stand-in c*ck on your keys.
-
How many times can a condom be unrolled and rerolled and still hold on to a dildo?
and seriously, that "New Condom Smell" would dissipate all too quickly and then, well, then where would one be?
-
and seriously, that "New Condom Smell" would dissipate all too quickly and then, well, then where would one be?
Screwed, that's where.
-
And pregnant.
-
And pregnant.
are you the door keeper? i am the key master!