The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on August 19, 2010, 06:53:17 pm

Title: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: pmcd9 on August 19, 2010, 06:53:17 pm
I've finally found someone who is able to properly articulate my feelings about the so called Ground Zero Mosque (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpT2Muxoo0).
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 19, 2010, 07:21:57 pm
Yeah that sounds about right.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: wombat on August 19, 2010, 07:27:57 pm
A couple of smaller contributions that I like:

Other buildings on the same "hallowed ground" (http://daryllang.com/blog/4421)

and

(http://static.someecards.com/someecards/filestorage/soto-mosque-ground-zero-muslim-protest-9-11-somewhat-topical.jpg)
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: Choop on August 19, 2010, 07:28:13 pm
dude gets a bad rap for his histrionics and diatribes but quite a lot of the time he's got great analysis. he's no rachel maddow, but then, she's a national treasure.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 19, 2010, 07:53:22 pm
By the wingnut logic on this one, you shouldn't be able to build a church within a few blocks of the Oklahoma City federal building.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: pmcd9 on August 19, 2010, 08:04:29 pm
I mean, ain't this private property being developed within zoning ordinances?

Yes it is.  That's why the fascist that want to stop it really need to stfu. 
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: AugustWest on August 19, 2010, 08:07:56 pm
We love the Constitution so much we're going to ignore it as soon as it produces a result we don't like!
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: wombat on August 19, 2010, 08:09:02 pm
Although can I please put a word in for - do we really have to tear down every old building in the city and put up a horrible monstrosity of modern architecture? There really isn't a vacant lot anywhere in the neighborhood?
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 19, 2010, 08:10:05 pm
I don't even know how to make sense of what ash just said. The argument from the side of what Keith is saying is exactly what you're saying, but then you say both sides need to stfu and insult the person.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 19, 2010, 08:11:59 pm
Although can I please put a word in for - do we really have to tear down every old building in the city and put up a horrible monstrosity of modern architecture? There really isn't a vacant lot anywhere in the neighborhood?

Did you miss the part where this is an abandoned building? I don't know what kind of urban landscape you prefer, but I like new useful and populated buildings rather than decaying, useless, and abandoned ones.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: wombat on August 19, 2010, 08:21:26 pm
Did you never notice that old buildings can be restored and renovated?
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 19, 2010, 08:25:54 pm
Good one:
http://www.salon.com/news/ground_zero_mosque/index.html?story=/opinion/feature/2010/08/19/patriotic_muslim_american_on_the_mosque_mess
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: arkabee on August 19, 2010, 08:37:54 pm
Did you never notice that old buildings can be restored and renovated?

off topic:
herebouts they changed from the Southern Building Code to the International Building code a couple a few years ago.

used to be, the Codes Inspector told me, That California was a 4 and we were a 2 on the earthquake scale.
Now, with the different Code, we're a 4 and Cali is a 2.

Apparantly, he says, he says to me he says,
Apparently when our big one hits the earth is gonna _liquify_.
fuck*ng perfect end to a conversation with the Codes Inspector.

Incidentally, the New Madrid fault is all kinds of fucked up, for those that don't know.
we gots the floods, and the tornadoes, and the poisonous snakes AND spiders,
and we got the  The Earth Is Gonna Liquify Beneath You fault line.

step right up, folks, don't be the last in line.

but i digress,

we were talking to the codes guy, cuz we wanted to buy a building and ****----RENOVATE-----***** it,
and make some shops into it and all and it woulda been hella cool.

Apparently, when you renovate an existing sctructure and Repurpose it,
you then have to bring it up to CURRENT code as if it were a new structure.

which meant we'd have to have an engineer RESTRUCTURE the building that was
built in 1934 to meet 2010 earthquake code.

yeah, that would be cost effective.

so,
it turns out this explains why so many small town's downtowns are complete shit holes:
noone can afford to do anything other than raze them.

blagh.


on topic:
this whole mosque thing is a perfect illustration of what i think is wrong with media, politics, and america in general.

Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: theinevitable on August 19, 2010, 08:43:09 pm
yeah, apparently when the big one hits St Louis, it will just be a pile of rubble.

Good thing it's mostly abandoned buildings anyway.

(last time there was a quake here, THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER RAN BACKWARDS.)

I just like the line where "the "ground zero mosque" is the best we can do, we've been making ground zeros next to mosques for several years now."

But yeah, also, build that fuck*ng thing. Build that thing and fill it with nice, peaceful people who al quaeda would HATE.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: wombat on August 19, 2010, 08:43:49 pm
which meant we'd have to have an engineer RESTRUCTURE the building that was
built in 1934 to meet 2010 earthquake code.

yeah, that would be cost effective.

so,
it turns out this explains why so many small town's downtowns are complete shit holes:
noone can afford to do anything other than raze them.

This is sad. Especially since, seriously, if the ground is going to actually liquify, is there anything you can put in the building code that is going to help that much? You might as well just enjoy some nice buildings in the meantime TILL THE PLANET KILLS US ALL.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: jaydub on August 19, 2010, 08:55:08 pm
I guess being on the West Coast I don't hear all the apron-wringing going on over this thing as much - someone should do a map of the mosques already in Manhattan.  This is probably a moot argument.  I didn't take Ash's post as anything other than someone saying STFU to both sides.  Fortunately for everyone involved we already have laws that will allow the building to be done regardless of the sturm and drang.  As others have noted, its private property, funded by private sources.  If someone wants to picket it once its build and harass any attendees - well Fred Phelps has a model they can follow.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: theinevitable on August 19, 2010, 09:10:17 pm
I mean, I feel like it is pretty proven that both sides have to yell as loud as possible.

if the lefties are quiet, righties win by default. Which does not just mean a triumph for rightie-ism, but of all the other BS that is lumped in with the republican party right now.

I am pretty much in favor of righteous indignation when people lobby against religious freedom.

See also: those doucheholes who want to take away birthright citizenship.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: jaydub on August 19, 2010, 09:12:14 pm
See also: those doucheholes who want to take away birthright citizenship.

AKA "Anchor babies"
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: pmcd9 on August 19, 2010, 09:47:28 pm
This issue would be more laughable if Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin weren't both contenders for the Presidency.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: pmcd9 on August 19, 2010, 09:53:18 pm
I just got an email from my nutjob rightwing uncle about the NYC (so called) Mosque.  All I can say is wow!  The racist/fascist/islamophobes are really showing their true colors now.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: pmcd9 on August 19, 2010, 09:59:35 pm
A little levity is perhaps in order...

You stay out of this, old man! (http://www.overcompensating.com/posts/20100816.html)
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: Doc on August 22, 2010, 09:16:30 am
So my country can't even manage to elect a leader but shit like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaQBrTROj2w&feature=player_embedded#!) makes me ashamed by proxy.
Do they think their passion and gosh-darn patriotism excuses them from having any sort of musical or lyrical talent?
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 22, 2010, 11:54:56 am
Man, I love that song just cause it is like this: but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZF5wpntXsk&feature=search more awful.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: fanta on August 23, 2010, 08:44:40 am
I like that video.  Thanks for sharing it!  My sentiments exactly.  I'm gonna share that video of Keith Olbermann on facebook.  Then I'm gonna block every one of my friends & relatives who refuses to share it on their walls as well.   I find the facebook experience a lot more pleasant since I've started blocking people who display outrageous tendencies.  Normally I block people because of what they post, in example I blocked one of my best friends the other day because he posted this racist ignorant shit, and I know he and his circle of friends subscribe to a lot of these ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47piCmAB0s4&feature=search

And really, my friend is cool in a lot of ways, but knowing that he's got one foot in this world of racism and ignorance has kinda been weighing on me, and not having the hints of this in my facebook experience anymore is actually a weight off my shoulders.  I can tolerate him in person because in person I can give his shit back to him.  But to just see shit that someone posts, without the opportunity to respond and intervene as the thought processes are forming in that person's mind, it can kinda drag on you.

So yeah, this Ground Zero mosque shit is a case where if someone refused to post this video or something equivalent, I'd want to block them from my FB experience, because as Olbermann says, the duty to speak up in this case is pretty clear and pressing.  I don't have room in my life for people who are right-wing or even neutral on such issues.  In fact I think we should put them all on trains and dump them in camps in the midwest.  Oh wait they already did that I guess. : - )
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2010, 09:43:56 pm
I guess when you are dealing with this mindset (http://barenakedislam.wordpress.com/2010/05/01/put-a-mural-on-your-truck-that-commemorates-the-islamic-terror-attack-on-911-and-all-hell-breaks-loose/) the opportunity for reasonable dialog is pretty slim.

Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2010, 10:06:15 pm
And on the lighter side (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-august-23-2010/the-parent-company-trap).
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: theinevitable on August 24, 2010, 10:12:41 pm
man, that BS makes me want us to build a 300-story mosque on ex-ground-zero.

"check it out, muslims love the US, you assholes" where "you assholes" can refer to Al Qaeda, or insane douchenozzles of american extraction.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: fanta on August 25, 2010, 05:35:37 am
Simple, Keith's a blowjob whose prime goal is to move the needle. The protesting side is a bunch of WHAT AUGUST SAID wankers.

I put my conception of the basic issue right in the core of my post. The rest of it is me raving at the shitholes that are killing me with their terms of discourse.

I rave on Olberman because I've been clued into his shtick for 27 years. Dickhead.


It seems like you are saying that you find less value or truth or reason in what Olberman is saying in that video because Olberman is saying it.  Maybe I am misunderstanding you.  Douche or not, motivated by ratings or not, I don't think that matters in the case of what he said in that video because it was objectively true and well reasoned, at least from my perspective, and if you don't agree then you're wrong. 
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: pmcd9 on August 31, 2010, 04:07:51 am
Joke just sent by my crazy right wing uncle.

"A man started a business selling land mines that look like prayer rugs.  Prophets are going through the roof."

I read that just before I read this (http://mediamattersaction.org/emailchecker/201008090005).  Actually that link goes to a page that debunks the email I received, but you get the idea.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: arkabee on August 31, 2010, 04:05:01 pm
I read that just before I read this (http://mediamattersaction.org/emailchecker/201008090005).  Actually that link goes to a page that debunks the email I received, but you get the idea.

there are so many reasons to be pissed off, that is angers me that people feel compulsed to make shit up to get people pissed off.

Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: smick on August 31, 2010, 05:02:06 pm
We love the Constitution so much we're going to ignore it as soon as it produces a result we don't like!

I'm having a shirt made with this on it.

(This is similar to the boxers I had on Cafe Press with the 4th Amendment on them.   I decided against it, since I rationalized that with my lifestyle, if someone were to be rooting around in my drawers, it was probably welcome, and I didn't want to screw it up with additional red tape.)
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 31, 2010, 05:24:50 pm
This is unfortunate.
http://mattbors.com/blog/?p=2439

(Matt Bors and Ted Rall are touring Afghanistan right now.  Their dispatches are fascinating.  Rall's updates are at http://www.eurasianet.org/taxonomy/term/3030/0)
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: miles on August 31, 2010, 11:54:05 pm
"We don't hate Muslims, we just think that it's disrespectful and insensitive to build an Islamic center so close to Ground Zero. They are free to build it anywhere else, and we won't raise a fuss."

Really? (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/31/us/31mosque.html)

Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: theinevitable on September 01, 2010, 12:09:06 am
the thing is, that is a stupid thing to be "sensitive" about.

like, your "sensitivity" is based on ignorance and lumping people together who are not the same.

the guy's comparison to building a shinto shrine next to pearl harbor pissed me off, because the shinto religion is nothing other than the religion of japan. it's not like one tiny faction of shintoists got together and attacked pearl harbor-- the nation of japan is the sum total of all shinto believers.

plus, I am sure there are shinto shrines on O'ahu.

plus, there were already mosques and islamic cultural centers near the WTC.

I am in favor of being "sensitive" when it makes sense.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 01, 2010, 02:13:55 am
Utica has been actually been very open to their mosque getting built.

It has understood that they're lucky ANY immigrant group is moving into Utica, ain't no one else wants to be there, if it's Bosnian Muslims...

They're just happy to have SOMEONE paying taxes. Anybody. Martians, they don't care.

The pluralism of desperation is kinda rad. Kinda... American.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 01, 2010, 02:24:46 am
positive reaction to diversity

somewhere around here in BFE central PA, some south asian monks bought an old abandoned elementary school and fixed it up and turned it into their monastery.  when i read about it in the paper i was pleasantly surprised.  especially when they interviewed several of the elderly people that lived nearby.  none of them had a problem with it at all.  they were totally chill with and even pleasantly curious about the cambodian(thai? [[shrug]]) buddhist dudes coming in and setting up shop.  it was rather refreshing.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: Doc on September 01, 2010, 11:08:09 am
This is unfortunate.
http://mattbors.com/blog/?p=2439

(Matt Bors and Ted Rall are touring Afghanistan right now.  Their dispatches are fascinating.  Rall's updates are at http://www.eurasianet.org/taxonomy/term/3030/0)

Well that ate a couple of hours. Thanks. I want more of this Ted Rall guy.
Title: Re: Ground Zero Mosque
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 01, 2010, 12:53:58 pm
His regular web site is tedrall.com.  Not for everybody, as he's liberal as all get-out and has done strips with not-so-popular opinions.  But to actually go over to Afghanistan (he went in 2001 as well) and check out what's going on there, rather than just opine on it from afar as so many American armchair warriors, that takes hell of sack.