The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on August 24, 2010, 11:30:26 am

Title: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 24, 2010, 11:30:26 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=08242010

You know how hard those roomba strips are to draw.

OK, Paul, did you know this was coming?
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 24, 2010, 11:57:28 am
Onstad said he was going to put up a roomba strip over the weekend.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: wombat on August 24, 2010, 12:46:11 pm
The correct thread title is "Wasn't it Herodotus who said "Eat a bag of dicks?"", because that would have fit, and it is too tragic to cut short that headline.

If all he does for the rest of his life is post one strip a month like this one, I will remain a fan. I'm not greedy.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: CortJstr on August 24, 2010, 01:01:31 pm
One of these days I need to get around to actually watching that movie. As it is everything I know about it comes from Animaniacs and The Simpsons.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: wombat on August 24, 2010, 01:11:19 pm
You might find it kind of a letdown.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: wombat on August 24, 2010, 03:14:21 pm
I loved this strip, in which he does the wordy things with the words that I love.

Citizen Kane, on the other hand, was a complete mystery to me.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: jay-ell on August 24, 2010, 03:16:13 pm
I loved this one, too. I saw Citizen Kane when I was in college, 10+ years ago, and don't remember a damn thing about it, but this strip was still golden.

But the proper thread title is, in fact, "your dad's a booze-a-rino and I'm Edith Wharton."
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: robot_god on August 24, 2010, 04:24:51 pm
The thread title is correct.  One of the best roomba movies.  Now I don't even have to see that piece-a shit.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: theinevitable on August 24, 2010, 08:35:42 pm
I like citizen kane fine, and this strip is RAD.

my final exam in film 101 had a bunch of questions that were basically like "explain this one scene from citizen kane, shot for shot." fuck THAT noise. I thought he was kidding when he said the way to study for the exam was "watch citizen kane over and over."

(because supposedly the way Orson Welles got ready to make Citizen Kane was by watching John Ford movies over and over.)

I just realized the bonus of being done with college: I will never have to watch another Western.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2010, 08:48:18 pm
Citizen Kane is an awesome movie.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2010, 09:23:04 pm
Some of the greatest movies ever made are westerns. 
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: theinevitable on August 24, 2010, 09:45:54 pm
well, you're welcome to them.

watch them twice for me.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Choop on August 24, 2010, 09:46:36 pm
we'll keep our westerns, you keep your summer scarves
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: theinevitable on August 24, 2010, 10:14:57 pm
Summer scarves? And risk looking like this guy? No thanks. (http://www.posterlovers.com/gallery/data/544/john-wayne.jpg)
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2010, 10:50:46 pm
Inev, you used to be so sweet.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Choop on August 24, 2010, 11:16:56 pm
if anybody can be trusted to reprise the role, the dude will abide.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: pmcd9 on August 25, 2010, 12:17:16 am
I see they are getting Matt Damon to reprise Glen Campbells role.  That's pretty good casting 'cos Matt Damon can't act either.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: AugustWest on August 25, 2010, 03:06:09 am
I watched The Shootist a couple weeks ago.  What a great, but odd movie.  Doubt it could get made today.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: pmcd9 on August 25, 2010, 03:21:16 am
I saw the Shootist in the theater when it was first released.  I won't say it's Wayne's best movie, but it's up there.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 25, 2010, 03:56:09 am
Man, say whatever you want about westerns, but if you start talking bad about Sergio Leone westerns we gonna have a problem.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 25, 2010, 04:40:12 am
(the new) 3:10 to yuma is what got me interested in westerns.  also, pale rider is the shit on toast.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Choop on August 25, 2010, 05:03:41 am
the new 3:10 to yuma is dung compared to the original.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: pmcd9 on August 25, 2010, 06:05:23 am
the new 3:10 to yuma is dung compared to the original.

I try to avoid remakes because that sentiment is almost always true.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: fanta on August 25, 2010, 08:10:51 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yojimbo_%28film%29

my favorite western.  eastern.  whatever.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 25, 2010, 09:29:26 am
Yeah, that is classic.  And the other one in the series.

Plus, the remake of that starts the greatest movie Trilogy ever.  Probably the only good one (Return of the Jedi blows, and the first one ain't to great either (it is pretty good)).

I always hated movies, except the Big Lebowski, until like last year, when I saw the good the bad and the ugly.  Same thing happened with music and Dylan, now I like all music but it took about four years to stop listening to Dylan's six good albums over and over again.  Right now I just want to watch like, both the Japanese and Western Man Without a Name series, the Big Lebowski and maybe Once Upon a Time in the West.  I recently saw the first three Star Wars, but don't really have a desire to see them again, probably ever.

What I am saying is that is a good movie.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Doc on August 25, 2010, 10:12:35 am
Can I count no Country for old men as a western?

Suziyaki Western Django was cool too.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: AugustWest on August 25, 2010, 01:22:19 pm
...Dylan's six good albums...

Say what now?
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: CortJstr on August 25, 2010, 01:24:12 pm
I try to avoid remakes because that sentiment is almost always true.

I dunno, that 6th remake of The Wizard of Oz was pretty good. </asshole>
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: arkabee on August 25, 2010, 02:34:40 pm
I dunno, that 6th remake of The Wizard of Oz was pretty good. </asshole>

the wiz?

on topic:
i'm not a big john wayne fan. 

clint, though, i would kill a man to set up a time warp so that guy coulda been my granpa.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: CortJstr on August 25, 2010, 03:25:31 pm
I dunno, that 6th remake of The Wizard of Oz was pretty good. </asshole>

the wiz?

No, the 6th remake is the one you've heard of. Judy Garland etc. Hence my comment about me being an asshole.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 25, 2010, 04:47:41 pm
the new 3:10 to yuma is dung compared to the original.

we'll see about that.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Choop on August 25, 2010, 05:13:07 pm
i dunno man i can't reconcile the genre with his accent
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: theinevitable on August 25, 2010, 09:26:52 pm
I don't like the Kurosawa I've seen either. I do not have the attention span.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: miles on August 25, 2010, 11:35:03 pm
Say what now?

We've had this discussion before, no? Ain't no reason why it can't be covered again.

By my count, there are at least 8 great Dylan albums. And to me, nearly every Dylan album is good. It seems like most of the Dylan fans here like Highway 61 best, but I prefer Blonde on Blonde, and it is one of the greatest albums ever made. Anyone else see this (http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/bobdylan/details/5625914) yet? I totally have a boner for it.

Edit: I really like the strip and remember nothing about Citizen Kane.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 26, 2010, 01:08:24 am
We have done this before.  The freewheelin, times are a changing, another side of, bringing it all back home, highway 61, and blonde on blonde.  Highway 61 prob my least fav, bringing it all back home or another side of fav followed by blonde on blonde.  If not for last 2 songs on highway 61 Dylan would have 5 classic records.  I also listen to John westley Harding, Nashville skyline and the one with if dogs run free and the man in me, but those ain't classics.  Sorry about shorthand and for doing this again.  On phone, when home from work will take this in a dif way.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: pmcd9 on August 26, 2010, 01:10:07 am
Anyone else see this (http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/bobdylan/details/5625914) yet? I totally have a boner for it.

I think, to fully appreciate that collection you need to get yourself a vintage record player, invite some smart friends over to drink wine and smoke cigarettes while you listen to them.  In between selections you can take turns reading from the Greil Marcus essay.  Everyone should be wearing vintage clothes as well.  If possible you should be in a loft apartment and everything should be in black and white.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Dangermoose on August 26, 2010, 06:47:31 pm
I think, to fully appreciate that collection you need to get yourself a vintage record player, invite some smart friends over to drink wine and smoke cigarettes while you listen to them.  In between selections you can take turns reading from the Greil Marcus essay.  Everyone should be wearing vintage clothes as well.  If possible you should be in a loft apartment and everything should be in black and white.

Oh man, old school!

I'm not sure I can get with any list of great Bob Dylan albums that stops at Blond on Blond.  John Wesley Harding and Blood on the Tracks gotta be there.  I'd also put the Basements Tapes in there even though I'm not sure those are an album.

I've never been able to give his late-70's Christian phase my time.  Today's Bob Dylan is entertaining enough in an insane way.  Don't tell me nobody wants to go to Christmas Island.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Choop on August 26, 2010, 06:55:29 pm
i have no interest in christmas island
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: AugustWest on August 26, 2010, 06:57:04 pm
Slow Train Coming is a great album.  Infidels is a greaaat album.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: pmcd9 on August 26, 2010, 07:41:12 pm
Modern Times is a fantastic album.  It's become one of my favorite Dylan albums frankly.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Dangermoose on August 27, 2010, 08:51:36 pm
i have no interest in christmas island

It's right next to Drinkin' Island.  Some folks say they're the same.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 27, 2010, 09:45:55 pm
i have no interest in christmas island
In reality, Christmas island is a hell hole infested with about 500 trillion red crabs that cripple the island.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH55iTS_FMY
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Dangermoose on August 28, 2010, 06:22:31 am
In reality, Christmas island is a hell hole infested with about 500 trillion red crabs that cripple the island.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH55iTS_FMY

Nuts to reality.  If half those crabs aren't green...
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 28, 2010, 02:08:27 pm
it serves those people right for building their island in the middle of the crab migration route.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 28, 2010, 03:32:14 pm
Did you see the crab at 1:46, I called that one the JL crab. She looks so excited.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 28, 2010, 04:27:26 pm
So the crabs migrate 3 miles to the beach? Where are they the rest of the year--hanging out in trees?
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: jay-ell on August 29, 2010, 12:43:22 am
Did you see the crab at 1:46, I called that one the JL crab. She looks so excited.

If you knew me at all, you wouldn't think that. I'm really pretty un-excitable.

Also, I almost never watch videos online, so congratulations on baiting me into watching this one. I sort of wish I hadn't, though.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: fanta on August 29, 2010, 01:23:38 am
aren't you missing out on a lot? 

For instance:

カピバラを連続ヘブン状態に (Scratching many capybaras)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A2s70Z_LTg

That one is.. I mean like... wow!  It's like... intense, and deep.  That one made my day.  when I see a video like that, I save a copy of it in my archive so that years later I can refer back to it in case I want to see it again.  Because this fuck*ng internet is like not going to save it for me probably.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: pmcd9 on August 29, 2010, 05:14:51 am
カピバラを連続ヘブン状態に (Scratching many capybaras)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A2s70Z_LTg

That was worth the watch.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: fanta on August 29, 2010, 06:45:27 am
wombet posted that by the way here:
http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4819.msg159132.html#msg159132
I don't want to seem like I'm ripping him off.

yeah the music in the video was awesome.  If you were a giant rodent and died and went to heaven there would be that music playing all the time and there'd be some guy whose job it is to scratch you all the time.

other great thing about that video is how the guy seems a little awkward in how he goes about scratching these critters.  There's something a little bit obtuse in his overall body movements or something... it has some physically comedic quality.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: pmcd9 on August 29, 2010, 05:28:51 pm
I noticed that as well. 
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 30, 2010, 12:59:29 pm
In reality, Christmas island is a hell hole infested with about 500 trillion red crabs that cripple the island.

Somebody could make a fortune selling those buggers to Cap'n George's Salty Seafood Buffet.
Title: Re: Citizen Kane's Stupid Wife's Musical Sucks Worse than Anything Else 8/24
Post by: jaydub on August 30, 2010, 08:04:02 pm
Somebody could make a fortune selling those buggers to Cap'n George's Salty Seafood Buffet.
I'm thinking the laws of supply and demand would kick in pretty quickly with that much crab on the hoof.  Probably the islanders hate the idea of ever eating another butter-dipped crab claw.