The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2010, 12:28:16 am

Title: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2010, 12:28:16 am
Here's a fun one for you.

As I was eating my tomato sandwich made with my first ever homemade bread (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4966645865/) I was pondering how easy it actually was to make.  I think it's really the perceived difficulty of the task that keep people away from a lot of cooking.  Why is this I was wondering.  I got to thinking about another food item that is perceived to be much more difficult than it actually is, gravy. 

Television and movies have led us to believe that it takes a special skill to make gravy otherwise it will turn out lumpy.  This is such a common meme that merely mentioning lumpy gravy is enough to get a laugh.  Frank Zappa even named an album Lumpy Gravy.  But was Frank Zappa an unwitting participant in a plot to drive us away from the stove? 

Did McCormick and Lawry's and Knorr funnel money into the entertainment industry for years? 

Don't you think that it's just a little bit too much of a coincidence that these lumpy gravy jokes began to appear at about the same time that processed pre packaged foods began to flood our market shelves?  Why make it yourself, you'll only screw it up anyway, let us make it for you.  It's only pennies more.

Have you noticed, you don't hear lumpy gravy jokes anymore?  Why not?  I'll tell you why, it's because nobody cooks gravy anymore.  We all get our gravy out of a package.  They've won.

But there is one person left in America who still makes gravy and that person is me (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/4945950113/).  They can take my gravy skillet when they pry my cold fingers from the handle.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: jay-ell on September 08, 2010, 12:38:54 am
I make my own gravy. Not as in dog food, of course. But I have never gotten gravy out of a jar. In fact, I am horrified by the concept. It's not hard to make, so long as you know the trick about dissolving the flour in cold water first (or, better yet, making a roux). That was one of the first cooking lessons my mother ever gave me.

How is it that people don't know how to make gravy? Is this for real, or is Paul being crazy here? Young folks, say it ain't so. Tell me you college kids know how to make gravy that doesn't come from a paper packet or a can.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: Nabubrush on September 08, 2010, 12:39:51 am
Bread isn't hard to make, it just takes a while.

For a second I thought that said cornspiracy, which was fun for me.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: robot_god on September 08, 2010, 01:23:46 am
My dad makes gravy like all day.  But he is in food service so it ain't a big deal or nothin'.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: Doc on September 08, 2010, 09:57:07 am
I have a vague idea that you make gravy by mixing flour into the dripping from a roast meat but I have never done this because I don't like gravy. So I'm kind of neutral in this debate I guess.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: wombat on September 08, 2010, 12:09:18 pm
Yeah, I can make gravy if I want to, but mostly, why would I want to? Once a year at Thanksgiving is pretty much the only time I cook anything that goes with gravy.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 08, 2010, 02:15:56 pm
I imagined Lumpy Gravy as a dude who opens for Phish doing a clown act, claiming that he is not a rip-off of Wavy Gravy at all.

"I don't know what you're talking about," he might say, "Hogsty gave me this nickname years before we even heard of the Dead."

He would then welcome Phish on stage where they would play their hits such as "Riding in a Semi" and "My Hair Is Getting A Little White And I am Totally Okay With That".
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: CortJstr on September 08, 2010, 02:28:47 pm
Yeah, I can make gravy if I want to, but mostly, why would I want to? Once a year at Thanksgiving is pretty much the only time I cook anything that goes with gravy.

I like gravy, especially gravy fries, but seeing as I've either lived alone or with a vegetarian for the past 8 years I've never actually cooked a piece of meat with gravy potential. So it's just the stuff at the diner or from a jar for me.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: jay-ell on September 08, 2010, 04:26:54 pm
One of the best things you can do with chicken drippings -- while not true gravy, the process is essentially the same -- is add a quarter-cup of sherry or cooking wine to the pan after removing the chicken, scraping up the browned bits and reduce it by half. Then add 1/2 cup of chicken stock, bring to a simmer, and melt in a tiny bit of roux until just thick enough to coat a spoon. I serve mine as a sauce over the chicken and a side of noodles (usually cappelini, but it's great over orzo too). It's more of a reduction sauce than a gravy, but it's light and tasty and you can add any fresh herbs or seasonings you want to it.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2010, 04:36:21 pm
You've all been so brainwashed you don't even know anymore!
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: theinevitable on September 08, 2010, 06:03:25 pm
I have never made or wanted to make gravy.

maybe I will make it this year when I am alone in my apartment on thanksgiving.

I do not think I would make gravy out of a package, though.

my mom makes really good gravy.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2010, 10:32:12 pm
That's what they want you to think, maaan.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: Nabubrush on September 09, 2010, 05:21:36 am
Poutine, motherfucker! Do you speak it?
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 09, 2010, 01:58:54 pm
Poutine, motherfucker! Do you speak it?

(http://www.bigfool.com/pictures/poutine.jpg)

A drunken late night in Montreal, roughly 2000.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 09, 2010, 03:08:22 pm
I'm with you on the fries and I'm with you on the cheese curds... you lose me on the gravy.

Poutine, man, it is like the KFC Double Down... there is taking junk food too far to the point of awesome and then there is taking junk food too far to the point of feeling bad about yourself and others.

It seems like the cheese curds all melty on top of fries is a night with the person of your dreams and then someone says "okay, I'll do you one better, a THREEWAY with yourself, your dream person and someone else!" and you think to yourself "AWESOME!" and then... the third person isn't like the runner up person of your dreams, it is some weird person from last call at a hillbilly bar. It is like subtraction through addition, you think that you're adding decadence on top of decadence but really you're just fuck*ng it up by overcomplicating the issue.

Especially, when 99.9% of poutine doesn't involve such as good freshly-made gravy, it involves horrible greasy stuff from a heated vat.

Of course, I only dig gravy in a limited amount of settings. If you don't have that type of gravy on the type of meat it came from or, at least, on top of a side accompanying the type of meat it came from, preferably real goddamned gravy from that particular roast or whatnot, I don't see the point of bringing gravy into the situation out of the blue.

Gravy's supposed to be part of the process of making a thing and then you make a sauce for the thing with the leftovers from making the thing, right?

I dunno. I guess I'm just saying that as awesome as good gravy is in situations that call for it, a lot of people guild the lily with it in places where it just isn't necessary.

And also: I really dislike poutine.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: jay-ell on September 09, 2010, 03:36:48 pm

Gravy's supposed to be part of the process of making a thing and then you make a sauce for the thing with the leftovers from making the thing, right?


This is an idea I can get behind, yeah.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 09, 2010, 05:21:00 pm
And also: I really dislike poutine.

You just need to DRINK MORE FIRST
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: jaydub on September 09, 2010, 05:28:28 pm
You just need to DRINK MORE FIRST
You'll know when you've had enough, because your camera phone won't focus anymore.
Title: Re: Lumpy Gravy (a Comspiracy Theory)
Post by: Nabubrush on September 10, 2010, 05:21:40 am
Actually, the last time I had poutine I split a jumbo order with my lovely (yeah, I don't know why she digs me that much either) in honor of a NHL playoff game that I really needed a win in, and we lost. The time before was like in Fort St. John or some fuck*ng place. With the ex.

I may skip the poutine next time, actually.