The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2010, 09:24:20 am

Title: The Dead Weather
Post by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2010, 09:24:20 am
I just happened upon a picture that looked like Jack White (http://www.flickr.com/photos/deneyterrio/3994085735/) playing the drums in this band.  Hey, that IS Jack White playing the drums.  I'm a Jack White fan so I looked them up.  Apparently, in a years time they have two albums out already.  It rocks, I dig it.  Jack White plays the drums well.  Here they are (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u1QeWgNRnY) doing a couple of numbers on Jools Holland.

This is White's third full on band, not counting his solo stuff and other one off collaborations.  Hell, I almost forgot about Van Lear Rose.  He reminds  me a lot of Eric Clapton in the early days shifting from band to band working in every style.  I pretty much like everything he does.

I guess next he'll be doing a solo record where he plays every instrument.  That seems like a logical eventuality.

Still, It's kind of baffling to me that I am just now hearing about this after a year and two albums.  I used to be on top of stuff.  Oh well, better late than never I suppose.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: Nabubrush on September 09, 2010, 05:30:13 am
I thought we TALKED about this. I've seen them a couple times. They put on sort of a disturbing show - the woman from the Kills is kinda creepy. Unfortunately, the second time I saw them was at the Crystal, and it was about 110 degrees in there.

I'd feel a bit bad if I were the guitarist, though, because Jack does come out from behind the kit for a couple tunes and it makes it pretty clear that most everyone is there to see him. He's a gifted guitarist, that boy is.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: pmcd9 on September 09, 2010, 07:05:28 am
I'd feel a bit bad if I were the guitarist, though, because Jack does come out from behind the kit for a couple tunes and it makes it pretty clear that most everyone is there to see him. He's a gifted guitarist, that boy is.

Of course everyone is there to see him.  But I'm sure that being in a band with Jack White makes him happy because his album has sold a half a million instead of 20 thousand.  Of course that comparison doesn't work because he plays in Queens of the Stone Age which also sells millions. 

Let's see, I've heard that Josh Homme is a control freak so he's probably happy to be playing in a collaborative band rather than some dudes sideman.

I don't recall talking about this.  I would have been interested.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 10, 2010, 12:28:20 am
Wait Josh Homme is in this band?  He is about a billion times better (and cooler) than Jack White.  I would be there for him.  He also plays multiple instruments in multiple bands.  Check the drumming on Eagles of Death Metal.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: pmcd9 on September 10, 2010, 02:16:22 am
Wait Josh Homme is in this band?

No, the guitar player in question is Dean Fertita.

He (Josh Homme) is about a billion times better (and cooler) than Jack White.

I don't agree, but so what.  You should talk to Slink (http://touamb.com/index.php?action=profile;u=6), he worships Josh Homme.

Josh Homme is currently playing in Them Crooked Vultures with Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: miles on September 10, 2010, 04:08:44 am
Josh Homme is currently playing in Them Crooked Vultures with Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones.

Which to me is a sadly disappointing project. I mean Homme and Grohl kick so much ass, and then Led Zeppelin. It's not terrible, it's just boring.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 10, 2010, 04:24:49 am
Oh.  If he was involved in Rated R he has got to be a bad ass too.  I should have remembered Homme was in ...Vultures.  They played two blocks from my house, and I checked them out cause of him, but yeah, decided not to go. 

Also, Jack White is okay, but the White Stripes were kinda boring.  I liked that one band he was in, started with an r maybe, they had a video that looked like it was made in Nashville.  That specific song was bad ass.  Also, he gave Wayne Coyne that Fiber-optic Jesus.  If you can give Coyne a crazy gift he appreciates and doesn't have that is something.  Not nothing.  Cool Wayne Coyne fact?  On google maps street view he is in his front yard in a bathtub, look it up.

It's The Raconteurs- Steady as She Goes.  I downloaded all of their albums cause of that song and later deleted them.  Man, that is a good song though.  Also, Nabu, you like Spindrift?  Or anybody really?
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: Nabubrush on September 10, 2010, 05:16:36 am
Also, Nabu, you like Spindrift?  Or anybody really?

Keith, you sort of hit on it. I don't like anybody, really. That might just be this week, though.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: theinevitable on September 12, 2010, 01:01:09 am
the white stripes were the first band where I was ALL ABOUT them and my parents were like "TURN THAT SHIT DOWN! WHAT IS THIS, THIS ISN'T MUSIC!"

they were also that band for my girlfriend. YEAH.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: Nabubrush on September 12, 2010, 04:22:58 pm
the white stripes were the first band where I was ALL ABOUT them and my parents were like "TURN THAT SHIT DOWN! WHAT IS THIS, THIS ISN'T MUSIC!"

they were also that band for my girlfriend. YEAH.

.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 13, 2010, 01:26:31 am
before TWS, i didnt know there could be a band with just two folks and no bass player.  ... i have had to discover a lot of cool shit on my own.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: Nabubrush on September 13, 2010, 03:36:19 am
before TWS, i didnt know there could be a band with just two folks and no bass player.  ... i have had to discover a lot of cool shit on my own.

Local H (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_H) is just bass and drums, in a way (bass pickups on his guitar). Have you discovered the Black Keys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Keys)? Sorta fierce. Stack Shot Billy is a pretty awesome song.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 13, 2010, 06:52:04 am
Local H (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_H) is just bass and drums, in a way (bass pickups on his guitar). Have you discovered the Black Keys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Keys)? Sorta fierce. Stack Shot Billy is a pretty awesome song.

i have a few black keys tracks.  theyre badass.  IIRC, local h had a radio hit back in the mid to late 90s...... ill check them out.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: Nabubrush on September 13, 2010, 01:51:32 pm
Yeah, Local H had a couple "hits" I think. I'm not endorsing them, I was just saying. I have definitely heard people say they are pretty good with a vehemence that I was not expecting.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: CortJstr on September 13, 2010, 02:22:24 pm
I will never stop liking the song Bound for the Floor (aka "that copacetic song"). Never!
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: theinevitable on September 13, 2010, 02:22:47 pm
JEFF THE BROTHERHOOD.

they are so good.

the guitarist has a signal-splitter or something, so that his guitar is coming out of a stack of mixed guitar amps and bass amps. At various times he will hit pedals to switch to only one or only the other. So it is never quite Bass, but it gets pretty heavy sometimes.

Oh man I really like them.

Their music videos are really not that good. I will look for a good live video.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: Nabubrush on September 13, 2010, 05:02:10 pm
That sounds pretty sweet. This isn't one of those bands where they are only available at local beer bashes and playing in your basement, is it?
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: CortJstr on September 13, 2010, 05:21:46 pm
Surprisingly often when I listen to eMusic's free daily download I think "I don't like this at all. I'm sure TI loves them and will be posting about them shortly." Examples: Jeff the Brotherhood, Wavves, Best Coast
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: Nabubrush on September 13, 2010, 05:52:02 pm
Surprisingly often when I listen to eMusic's free daily download I think "I don't like this at all. I'm sure TI loves them and will be posting about them shortly." Examples: Jeff the Brotherhood, Wavves, Best Coast

Z to tha ING.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: CortJstr on September 13, 2010, 06:07:12 pm
Z to tha ING.

I didn't mean to say those bands (or TI's tastes) suck. There's just a difference in preference. I mean, it's not like he's pimping Nickelback.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: jaydub on September 13, 2010, 06:24:17 pm
I didn't mean to say those bands (or TI's tastes) suck. There's just a difference in preference. I mean, it's not like he's pimping Nickelback.
This is why I could never get my wife to hang here.  Nickelback, 5-for-Fighting, Coldplay - these represent the hard edge of her taste in music.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 13, 2010, 06:27:34 pm
I mean, Coldplay are a guilty pleasure of mine, but...

They aren't hard.

They are a guilty pleasure because they're so fuck*ng soft.

That's wild.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: Nabubrush on September 13, 2010, 07:34:22 pm
I mean, Coldplay are a guilty pleasure of mine, but...

They aren't hard.

They are a guilty pleasure because they're so fuck*ng soft.

That's wild.

Obligatory "that's how I know you're gay" (or whatever the quote is). Full disclosure: I listen to Coldplay, and when they cover the band in the movie "Young at Heart" I almost burst out crying, and I was on an airplane! Of course, I was drunk at the time, but still.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 15, 2010, 06:12:24 pm
i dont feel guilty about it, but sometimes i enjoy the the beegees.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2010, 06:35:02 pm
I was reflecting the other day at work on how in the context of non-stop horrible music being played over the loudspeakers, songs I would normally not like so much make me get excited.

OH SHIT, STAYING ALIVE? I LOVE THIS SONG! YEAH!

Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: pmcd9 on September 15, 2010, 06:58:34 pm
Coldplay doesn't suck because they are soft, they suck because they suck.

I was Fooled by Coldplay (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,540.0.html).
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: Nabubrush on September 16, 2010, 02:02:11 am
The one guy seems amusing.

I don't know, I have a hard time anymore getting my ire up about a band. Unless the people are actually total cocks (Cake, I'm looking at you).
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: CortJstr on September 16, 2010, 02:06:54 am
The one guy seems amusing.

I don't know, I have a hard time anymore getting my ire up about a band. Unless the people are actually total cocks (Cake, I'm looking at you).

Hummina?
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2010, 02:18:40 am
Cake are cocks? I hadn't heard. Do tell.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: Nabubrush on September 16, 2010, 02:22:54 am
I've heard a couple stories, one from a guy I know whose band was "lucky" enough to be picked to open for them, and then was pretty much treated like shit and derided. He didn't enjoy the experience.

As opposed to a band like, say, BOC, who were just delightful to some other friends of mine who opened for them, really supportive and sharing various and sundry green room enjoyments with them - and this wasn't like last week, it was when BOC could still draw a pretty good crowd.

Anyway, not to derail - I just think that the whole "your fave band sux" meme is tired, even as a joke. And fuck it, I kinda like Coldplay.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: AugustWest on September 16, 2010, 03:04:01 am
BOC

Did you have the Schnappster  *DING!*?
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: miles on September 16, 2010, 03:08:29 am
One of my buddies at work has a Cake Are Cocks story. Something to do with how when he saw them...they were dicks or something, and...ah, fuck it. I'll ask him tomorrow.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: Nabubrush on September 16, 2010, 03:33:40 am
They also told me to shut the fuck up, but I think everyone who heard that song was told the same thing.
Title: Re: The Dead Weather
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2010, 04:38:00 am
They also told me to shut the fuck up, but I think everyone who heard that song was told the same thing.

Canned!