The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Nabubrush on September 12, 2010, 11:48:40 pm

Title: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: Nabubrush on September 12, 2010, 11:48:40 pm
In the spirit of my way-old favorites topic (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,75.0.html), I had an idea:

What are some songs that make chills go up and down your spine, so to speak? For me, a quick set of five(+), from my formative years:


Eh, anyway, I'd been thinking about making a post something like this for a long while - off and on since that first favorites post. So here goes - any responses? Paul?
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: pmcd9 on September 13, 2010, 12:16:09 am
Uh yeah, I can think of a few...

I have a similar feeling about Whole Lot of Love.  It doesn't affect me this way anymore, but the first time I heard the complete version at the age of 10-11 with the freakout middle section of cymbals, sirens, theremin, ah ah ah ahhhhhhhhhh, that really fucked me up.  You see, I had heard the song before quite a few times, but not the entire thing.  The original single was a shortened version that cut out the middle section.  so not only was it crazy it was totally unexpected.  I thought the rapture was about to take place.

Riders on the storm.  That song was a bit hit on the radio when I was 7 years old.  I clearly remember hearing this song while sitting in the back seat of the car in the grocery store parking lot at night while my mother was inside shopping.  That was scary.

Revolution No. 9 is pretty creepy.  I guess I've been hearing that "song" since it first came out when I was 4 years old. 


Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: AugustWest on September 13, 2010, 01:22:36 am
Aretha Franklin (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=ARETHA|FRANKLIN&sql=11:jifpxqe5ldke~T1): I Say a Little Prayer.

That made me think of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwErwvcIEbQ&feature=related) (jump to :45).  I heard this again a few years ago and it brought those chills right back from 1973.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: AugustWest on September 13, 2010, 01:25:41 am

(Honorable Mention to Sister Morphine (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=33:gxftxbeald0e[/url), which is just not a very fun song.) Shelter YT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcCTKtyzaXc), with shivers occurring around 3:20, Shelter live YT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CG1rbUdHKg), supposedly with audio from Altamont, Morphine YT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtz8qZz6s8s).[/li][/list]


I put this song on a mixdisc for the truck a couple weeks ago.  I'd never really listened to it, you know?  Whoa.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 13, 2010, 01:37:46 am
When I was little, "All Night Long" by Lionel Richie would creep me out whenever it came on the radio.

The Wikipedia article for "All Night Long" contains this vital piece of information: "According to an episode of Reading Rainbow in which Richie guest-starred, the song's theme is about a party that lasts all night long."
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 13, 2010, 05:01:56 am
Forgive some of the videos, they're not all official or... fortunate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I57Voojyao (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I57Voojyao) - Gabriel/Fripp "Here Comes The Flood"... kinda about the end of the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCNp1WDM4Q (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCNp1WDM4Q) - Ben Folds Five "Lullabye"... kinda full of whhhhhhist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBFGlmUt_U (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZBFGlmUt_U) - Elliott Smith "A Distorted Reality's Now A Necessity to Be Free"... kinda about the end of the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-URifHF7_fs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-URifHF7_fs) - Smasihng Pumpkins, "For Martha"... kinda about mourning, kinda epic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds9JN1XaBRA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds9JN1XaBRA) - Roger Waters "Amused to Death"... kinda about the end of the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxDT7gHLy1E (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxDT7gHLy1E) - Hayden "Skates"... kinda about the depths of mourning. Story song.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: Nabubrush on September 13, 2010, 02:00:39 pm
I could have probably added every Elliot Smith song I have ever heard. I'm not sure if it's all because of his songwriting. I gotta figure my brain includes his story every time I hear him sing. I thought about Ben Folds - and with him it's sort of even more jarring because he's almost Weezerlike in his poppishness. I could have done a few Stevie Wonder songs, too. Smashing Pumpkins . . . I get distracted by Corgan's voice, a little.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: jay-ell on September 13, 2010, 02:29:57 pm
Seriously? No love for "No More Tears (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O676EoWhIo)?" (The video is lame, sorry.)

Also, the full version of "Nights in White Satin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lazdg-eqmQ)." There was a local radio station that used to regularly play the extended version, but only after 9 PM. During the day they played the normal, truncated version. If you know the song but have never heard (or don't remember) the extended version, skip to 5:45.

Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 13, 2010, 03:24:30 pm
chicago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDRrqcZbdPU)-sufjan stevens (breathtaking)
creep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkzRNyygfk)-radiohead
diamonds and pearls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puvkVKngU-A)-prince
my hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVKDQgT_b-Y)-foo fighters
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 13, 2010, 05:10:22 pm
Quote from: jay-ell
Nights in White Satin

During the spoken word part, I like to imagine the intro to Star Trek instead.

Same rhythm but the Star Trek words.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: arkabee on September 13, 2010, 05:33:21 pm
The stark white bleakness of a post clear-cut northern wisconsin.  In the winter,
the cold will murder your family as you lay in your bed dreaming of permanence.
In the summer, the land itself radiates loneliness causing a yearning for the winter
deep inside your soul.

As translated by an angry young man from the center of politics in our nation of
lost idealism and dreams.  A young man who later grows up to become the one
thing most cherished in our culture, a father.  a Father of a Son.  A Father of a Son
who is slowly dying before his eyes, and all he is left with is blind hope and the
pressing importance of now.

hey, angel?
fly over. and bless me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap3L_NCZk4s



Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 13, 2010, 05:43:33 pm
Quote from: Nabubrush
Smashing Pumpkins . . . I get distracted by Corgan's voice, a little.

Remember, I'm the dude who is still able to forgive Axl Rose's voice. These things seem to not bother me. bwahaha.

Ben Folds' descent into poppiness isn't on a scale with Weezer, I think, because he hasn't descended into "whatever's popular right now" pop.

Mostly schmaltzy classic rock ballad pop. But yeah, every album and the good-bad ratio drops a little bit, for sure.

The collapse of Weezer will confound us all, forever.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: Nabubrush on September 13, 2010, 05:51:33 pm
I almost tossed in a couple Foo Fighters, too. I've got to say, and apologies to all the Cobain fans, but Dave is sort of gaining on him. I'm continually surprised by how moving his work is. Did anyone else see him play at the White House during McCartney's Gershwin prize deal? That was pretty awesome. All these people coming up, doing more and more dirgelike covers, and then Dave gets up there and just rips through "Band on the Run (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_uyuuJVlw4)" - if you don't enjoy Stevie grooving on Dave Grohl bellowing that song at the frickin' White House, well . . . you should check your pulse.

Seriously, if you haven't seen that yet, take five minutes and click the link - I think you will be pleased.



I could have done some Radiohead, too . . . Karma Police, maybe?
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: arkabee on September 13, 2010, 05:51:45 pm
dear $first love,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDl7Wrsd0qI

end in distortion

edit-

hello,
dreams.

goodbye,
dreams.

hello,
life.

goodbye,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w76_IzLRKkg&feature=related


edit2-
i have no pome,
this song just shoots sparks from my scalp to my soles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_XbYz9J4W0
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 13, 2010, 06:28:44 pm
Quote from: Nabubrush
I could have done some Radiohead, too . . . Karma Police, maybe?

See, I'd go "Airbag" off that album as again it kind of has that apocalyptic thing I'm into.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 13, 2010, 09:33:13 pm
No Surprises.



The first two VU albums.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: pmcd9 on September 13, 2010, 09:33:34 pm
When I first heard OK Computer I got goose bumps, not because it was creepy, but because it was so god damn good.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: Nabubrush on September 13, 2010, 09:49:52 pm
I couldn't get my internet to work for a bit there, but I wanted to say:

Ark - you included some very nice things that I did not know about and thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: theinevitable on September 15, 2010, 05:55:30 pm
I spent a long time thinking about this, and realized that the only times I remember getting chills from music were when listening to "Post-Punk."

Joy Division, Pere Ubu. I can't remember specific songs at the moment.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: jay-ell on September 15, 2010, 06:09:51 pm
I was listening to last.fm's jazz tag station today and this little ditty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7AZIvDD5Lw) by the Ink Spots came on. Immediately, my blood ran cold and I felt an overwhelming urge to reload my plasma rifle.

If you've played Fallout 3, you know exactly what I mean.

If you haven't, here's what I mean: Bethesda software licensed a bunch of old-timey jazz music for a game set in a post-apocalyptic urban wasteland, and if you choose to turn on your personal radio you can listen to it as you wander around shooting horribly mutated creatures and people who want to kill you. So now, whenever I hear one of these otherwise innocuous tunes, I get all twitchy and nervous. It is a great game, but it really fucks with your head.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: arkabee on September 15, 2010, 06:32:11 pm
So yeah, this one still gets me right there.

You Can't Bring Me Down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrctcJqfpXU)

Can't change what's inside my heart.

nicely done.  all i have is a best of Cassette Tape, but even as such i continue to not understand why Suicidal Tendencies isn't more popular.  motherfuckers brought PBR and trucker hats into being "cool" but these nitwit twit shit for brains with their size "fuck*ng large" black ##### and stupid hair cuts still think marillyn manson is role model for teen power. (edit- no nouns in the previous sentence refers to Suicidal Tendencies)

also,
walk with me, asherdan, around the lake.
tonight.
by my side?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSI-Wk00rVw
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2010, 06:36:29 pm
I was listening to last.fm's jazz tag station today and this little ditty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7AZIvDD5Lw) by the Ink Spots came on. Immediately, my blood ran cold and I felt an overwhelming urge to reload my plasma rifle.

If you've played Fallout 3, you know exactly what I mean.

If you haven't, here's what I mean: Bethesda software licensed a bunch of old-timey jazz music for a game set in a post-apocalyptic urban wasteland, and if you choose to turn on your personal radio you can listen to it as you wander around shooting horribly mutated creatures and people who want to kill you. So now, whenever I hear one of these otherwise innocuous tunes, I get all twitchy and nervous. It is a great game, but it really fucks with your head.

Also, there was that surreal commercial which used it... was it for Chanel #5?  Something like that. Dude has a very unusual, ethereal quality about his voice.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: pmcd9 on September 15, 2010, 07:00:56 pm
I was listening to last.fm's jazz tag station today and this little ditty (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7AZIvDD5Lw) by the Ink Spots came on. Immediately, my blood ran cold and I felt an overwhelming urge to reload my plasma rifle.

This song is on my latest mix disc.  Did I send you a copy?
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: jay-ell on September 15, 2010, 07:04:25 pm
Also, there was that surreal commercial which used it... was it for Chanel #5?  Something like that. Dude has a very unusual, ethereal quality about his voice.

Dunno about the commercial, having not watched much commercial television for the last dozen years or so...but yeah,the haunting quality of the vocals is spot-on. Fallout used "Maybe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBox8BPHfiU)" by the same artists in the intro film of Fallout 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkBNKa2KXZE) and it's available on the radio in Fallout 3 as well.

Here's "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" used in the teaser for Fallout 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxSdbSNckTQ). As you will be able to tell from the pan-out, it's set in the ruins of Washington, DC. Heartbreaking.

This song is on my latest mix disc.  Did I send you a copy?

Probably? I have an issue where I don't have easy access to an optical drive, and I haven't ripped any of the mixdiscs I've gotten through you guys onto my iPod yet. They are all in a stack on my desk waiting for me to handle them. It's a serious character flaw of mine, I apologize.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: AugustWest on September 15, 2010, 07:21:16 pm
Dunno about the commercial, having not watched much commercial television for the last dozen years or so...but yeah,the haunting quality of the vocals is spot-on.

Here it is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx3Na_7inPI)  Probably 25 years old.  Yeesh.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: jay-ell on September 15, 2010, 07:33:09 pm
Ummmm, yeah. That ran the year I was born, dude.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 15, 2010, 08:14:18 pm
youre so last summer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjcNgPGgaK8)-taking back sunday

you would think that id be annoyed by music created by some slender, whiny, caucasian dudes, but when adam lazzara sings, "and the truth/is you could slit my throat/and with my one last gasping breath id apologize for bleeding on your shirt", it speaks to me on a certain level.  a certain passive-aggressive/self-depricating level that i dont like.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: jaydub on September 15, 2010, 09:00:34 pm
Ummmm, yeah. That ran the year I was born, dude.
I'm pretty sure Chanel went back to that particular well throughout the 80's at least.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: jay-ell on September 15, 2010, 09:06:41 pm
Don't remember it. Somehow I doubt they were running many "Chanel No. 5" ads during Muppet Babies and Sesame Street.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: Nabubrush on September 16, 2010, 02:19:00 am
The one I meant to put on my list and I forgot is Rocket from the Tombs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_From_The_Tombs): Ain't it Fun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ain%27t_It_Fun). The band split into Dead Boys and Pere Ubu, and both bands covered RFTT stuff. Crunchy version from '75 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PExEDuGKDo4), posted to YouTube by a guy calling himself "BryterLayter26", which is kinda fun by itself.

That song makes me feel bad, but I really like listening to it. Well, not like. I guess I should just say I really listen to it. I can't imagine what it would have been like to see it live back in 1974-1975. Probably sort of like watching Psycho in the original release in the theater in 1960.

Less said about the GnR cover the better.

"Ain't it fun when you feel that you just gotta buy a gun . . ."
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: miles on September 16, 2010, 03:45:57 am
That old-time jazz song by the Ink Spots doesn't give me the chills, but I'm kind of obsessed with that shit. I was hooked after I watched the BBC series The Singing Detective, which featured a couple songs by the Ink Spots along with a whole bunch of other old-timey jazz. And also a version of "I've Got You Under My Skin" by Henry Hall and the BBC Dance Orchestra that I can't find ANYWHERE. Seriously, a can to anyone who can find me a copy of that. It's one of my favorite recordings, ever. ALSO: KUOW in Seattle has a decent program on Saturday nights called The Swing Years and Beyond. You could get the urge to kill every Saturday night, JL. (Edit: you can listen here (http://www.kuow.org/swing_years.php).)

The Mercy Seat by Nick Cave gives me the chills. I can't find the album version on youtube or anything, and the video mix doesn't really do it justice. Apparently this link (http://tiny.cc/jesy4) is good for one stream of the entire song. But yeah, that song. And a few others of his.

I saw Spiritualized perform "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space" at the end of July, and man, when they performed the title track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK4iR2Q-Ieg), yeah. I've always been sucker for the album, and this song in particular. The original version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB7E1D_3Na4).

Whoever suggested "Suspicious Minds" is correct.

Can You Get to That (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rrOdcnFbAY).

And also the version of "Like a Rolling Stone" from the Royal Albert Hall bootleg. Every. fuck*ng. Time. Couldn't find a clip, but it's officially released as Bootleg Series, vol. 4, and I'm pretty sure that there is a clip of it in that Dylan documentary Martin Scorsese did.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: miles on September 16, 2010, 04:10:30 am
Oh yeah. Those songs are mostly warm and happy chills (well, except for the Nick Cave song), but here are a few that give me the creepy chills.

Two from Brainiac:

Fresh New Eyes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPHkztXtnG4&)

fuck*ng with the Altimeter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9J-gmQZyD0&)

And two from Karin Dreijer Andersson:

From Off to On (The Knife) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i82MXuIHEOY)

Coconut (Fever Ray) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFN72I8jM4s)
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 16, 2010, 05:52:50 am
Oh man, so right about that Rolling Stone version.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: arkabee on September 16, 2010, 02:21:02 pm
possible best thread ever.
definitely best thread i've seen in a long assed time.


first time i heard this i spontaneously sat down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho

but then i relistened to the cd last night,
and, well, god damn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6cMQ6kBm0k


most of Hum gives me chills:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTl8HcvYRqg&feature=related

Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2010, 09:41:00 pm
first time i heard this i spontaneously sat down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho

I have a neighbor who is a British ex-pat.  Well I guess she's an ex-pat, don't know if she ever became an American citizen.  Whatever, she's in her 80s and grew up in London during the Blitz.  After the was she married a soldier who brought her to the USA.  She's been her ever since.

She loves to talk about her experiences during wartime, and I am eager to listen, she can be fascinating.  One time I asked her about Vera Lynn because I knew of her from the Pink Floyd song.  She told me she was the most popular singer in England during the war and she used to love to hear her sing because she always gave so much hope to the people.  She helped give them strength to carry on during the troubled times.

So I went out and bought a Vera Lynn collection.  She's quite good actually.  We'll Meet Again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY) was her biggest hit.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: theinevitable on September 17, 2010, 03:49:48 am
Nabu-- rocket from the tombs are so good. "Final Solution" makes me feel so bad about myself for liking it.

Also: Just realized that Los Angeles, which features some of my favorite vocal harmonies ever (I think the combination of John Doe and Exene Cervenka is like... such a good harmonic thing?) has the N word in it. In a way that I want to say "Bad!" but can't, because, mostly I guess because I never heard it until I read the lyrics.
Title: Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
Post by: Nabubrush on September 17, 2010, 01:42:39 pm
White guilt!

I have that problem with "Oliver's Army", the John Lennon song, the Patti Smith song, and that one 10cc song. It's not edgy, people, leave it to the gangsta rap where it is appropriate.