Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that the best way to sound like a noob here is to ask what the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper are about?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Chilling songs, but not to chill with  (Read 5400 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 09:33:13 pm »

No Surprises.



The first two VU albums.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2010, 09:33:34 pm »

When I first heard OK Computer I got goose bumps, not because it was creepy, but because it was so god damn good.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 09:49:52 pm »

I couldn't get my internet to work for a bit there, but I wanted to say:

Ark - you included some very nice things that I did not know about and thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 05:55:30 pm »

I spent a long time thinking about this, and realized that the only times I remember getting chills from music were when listening to "Post-Punk."

Joy Division, Pere Ubu. I can't remember specific songs at the moment.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 06:09:51 pm »

I was listening to last.fm's jazz tag station today and this little ditty by the Ink Spots came on. Immediately, my blood ran cold and I felt an overwhelming urge to reload my plasma rifle.

If you've played Fallout 3, you know exactly what I mean.

If you haven't, here's what I mean: Bethesda software licensed a bunch of old-timey jazz music for a game set in a post-apocalyptic urban wasteland, and if you choose to turn on your personal radio you can listen to it as you wander around shooting horribly mutated creatures and people who want to kill you. So now, whenever I hear one of these otherwise innocuous tunes, I get all twitchy and nervous. It is a great game, but it really fucks with your head.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

arkabee

  • VIP
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 153
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1280
  • i still hate the new forum software.
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 06:32:11 pm »

So yeah, this one still gets me right there.

You Can't Bring Me Down

Can't change what's inside my heart.

nicely done.  all i have is a best of Cassette Tape, but even as such i continue to not understand why Suicidal Tendencies isn't more popular.  motherfuckers brought PBR and trucker hats into being "cool" but these nitwit twit shit for brains with their size "fuck*ng large" black ##### and stupid hair cuts still think marillyn manson is role model for teen power. (edit- no nouns in the previous sentence refers to Suicidal Tendencies)

also,
walk with me, asherdan, around the lake.
tonight.
by my side?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSI-Wk00rVw
Logged
"God forbid I'd ever be separated from my Duran Duran for a single minute!"
-August West
"Maybe Hanson or the Jonas Brothers might finally lose their shit one day."
-Nabubrush

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 06:36:29 pm »

I was listening to last.fm's jazz tag station today and this little ditty by the Ink Spots came on. Immediately, my blood ran cold and I felt an overwhelming urge to reload my plasma rifle.

If you've played Fallout 3, you know exactly what I mean.

If you haven't, here's what I mean: Bethesda software licensed a bunch of old-timey jazz music for a game set in a post-apocalyptic urban wasteland, and if you choose to turn on your personal radio you can listen to it as you wander around shooting horribly mutated creatures and people who want to kill you. So now, whenever I hear one of these otherwise innocuous tunes, I get all twitchy and nervous. It is a great game, but it really fucks with your head.

Also, there was that surreal commercial which used it... was it for Chanel #5?  Something like that. Dude has a very unusual, ethereal quality about his voice.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 07:00:56 pm »

I was listening to last.fm's jazz tag station today and this little ditty by the Ink Spots came on. Immediately, my blood ran cold and I felt an overwhelming urge to reload my plasma rifle.

This song is on my latest mix disc.  Did I send you a copy?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 07:04:25 pm »

Also, there was that surreal commercial which used it... was it for Chanel #5?  Something like that. Dude has a very unusual, ethereal quality about his voice.

Dunno about the commercial, having not watched much commercial television for the last dozen years or so...but yeah,the haunting quality of the vocals is spot-on. Fallout used "Maybe" by the same artists in the intro film of Fallout 1 and it's available on the radio in Fallout 3 as well.

Here's "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" used in the teaser for Fallout 3. As you will be able to tell from the pan-out, it's set in the ruins of Washington, DC. Heartbreaking.

This song is on my latest mix disc.  Did I send you a copy?

Probably? I have an issue where I don't have easy access to an optical drive, and I haven't ripped any of the mixdiscs I've gotten through you guys onto my iPod yet. They are all in a stack on my desk waiting for me to handle them. It's a serious character flaw of mine, I apologize.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:16 pm »

Dunno about the commercial, having not watched much commercial television for the last dozen years or so...but yeah,the haunting quality of the vocals is spot-on.

Here it is.  Probably 25 years old.  Yeesh.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2010, 07:33:09 pm »

Ummmm, yeah. That ran the year I was born, dude.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2010, 08:14:18 pm »

youre so last summer-taking back sunday

you would think that id be annoyed by music created by some slender, whiny, caucasian dudes, but when adam lazzara sings, "and the truth/is you could slit my throat/and with my one last gasping breath id apologize for bleeding on your shirt", it speaks to me on a certain level.  a certain passive-aggressive/self-depricating level that i dont like.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2010, 09:00:34 pm »

Ummmm, yeah. That ran the year I was born, dude.
I'm pretty sure Chanel went back to that particular well throughout the 80's at least.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 09:06:41 pm »

Don't remember it. Somehow I doubt they were running many "Chanel No. 5" ads during Muppet Babies and Sesame Street.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Chilling songs, but not to chill with
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 02:19:00 am »

The one I meant to put on my list and I forgot is Rocket from the Tombs: Ain't it Fun. The band split into Dead Boys and Pere Ubu, and both bands covered RFTT stuff. Crunchy version from '75, posted to YouTube by a guy calling himself "BryterLayter26", which is kinda fun by itself.

That song makes me feel bad, but I really like listening to it. Well, not like. I guess I should just say I really listen to it. I can't imagine what it would have been like to see it live back in 1974-1975. Probably sort of like watching Psycho in the original release in the theater in 1960.

Less said about the GnR cover the better.

"Ain't it fun when you feel that you just gotta buy a gun . . ."
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up