The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: robot_god on September 16, 2010, 09:58:36 am

Title: Are you a gambler?
Post by: robot_god on September 16, 2010, 09:58:36 am
Ever since I went to a casino night with my parents when I was like... six... I thought gambling was the coolest thing in the world.  Now I realize it is exactly the third coolest thing in the world, which is still very good.

It's kind of interesting how some people have a serious aversion to gambling for seemingly no reason, while other people who do not even have addictive personalities are drawn to the addiction like a magnet.

Table games, sports betting, slot machines, lottery.  Knockout pools, pick 'em pools.  Can't get enough of that shit.  Poker used to be the hip game for real men until it blew up into some lowlife fratboy shit.  I probably played poker for a million hours before it was ever on TV.  When it was cool.  Dice games used to be big in the hood.

A friend of mine got into some real serious debt.  Shit is crazy.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Doc on September 16, 2010, 11:10:21 am
I never got into debt with it but when I used to go clubbing more regularly there was rarely a night that didn't involve the casino. I used to love roulette, I think it was the illusion that all the probabilities were completely transparent unlike, say, blackjack where you couldn't know where they are in a deck etc. I was just thinking about this the other day actually, but student me can't afford to lose money the way working me could.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: AugustWest on September 16, 2010, 01:10:47 pm
I guess I'm what you'd call a social gambler.

My parents used to take us to the racetrack when I was a kid, probably starting when I was 7 or 8.  I'd make a few $2 bets.  I still go to the race once a year or so.   I've been to a few casinos, but that whole scene doesn't do much for me.  I'm not sports savvy enough to be a serious sports bettor with a bookie and all, but I participate in office pools and such.

I think if I took a fancy to it I could become a good poker player.  Card playing is in my blood and I figure if I can become a decent bridge player than I ought to be able to do ok at poker.  But I need another hobby like I need another hole in my head...
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 16, 2010, 01:17:33 pm
I'm a gambler, but I'm definitely a low roller.  I like craps and blackjack, but I like $2 tables ($5 if that's all you can get).  I had a poker thing going for a while, but haven't been playing much lately.

Last month in Vegas, I watched a dude at Aria playing craps at $10K a pass.  He was on the main casino floor, but at a roped-off table with no minimum posted, just "Reserved."  (If you have to ask, you can't afford to play here!)  Just him and the four-man crew.  I didn't recognize the white chips with red and blue edging, and had to go to another table to figure out those were $5K each, and he was putting two at a time on the pass line.  And he did NOT appear to be doing well, in the time I watched him.

I lost $200 that trip, which is pretty much fine by me.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: jay-ell on September 16, 2010, 01:35:30 pm
I made extra cash in college by occasionally dealing blackjack for corporate parties and charity events, which was fun, but honestly I like watching other people gamble (even with fake money) much more than I like doing it myself.

Except that one frat party. All half-dressed floozies spilling beer from paper cups on my table felt, all getting hit on by popped-collar douchebags while their girlfriends weren't looking. No offense to anyone who was in a frat, this was no high-class establishment like the one A-Cap undoubtedly belonged to. I'm talking about every negative stereotype about fraternity houses all rolled into one big drunken clusterfuck.

So yeah, I have the addictive personality in other areas of life, but gambling has just never appealed to me the way other games do. I think I'm too much of a cheapskate to enjoy the prospect of potentially losing money.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: CortJstr on September 16, 2010, 01:38:21 pm
For many years my parents went to Vegas every year. I've only been twice, for my 21st and 30th birthdays. I'm a craps man. I like that the odds bet is the only true odds bet you can make in a casino, I like that most people don't understand the rules, I like that it's the only game where you don't tip the dealers directly, and I like how everybody at the table gets excited together even if only 1 or 2 people actually won money on that throw simply because the rest of us didn't lose.

But yeah, $3/5 tables all the way.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 16, 2010, 01:56:28 pm
and I like how everybody at the table gets excited together

This is a fun aspect of craps.  By and large everyone plays the pass line, so if you make a point, everyone is your friend.  I have never high-fived total strangers more often than at the craps table.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 16, 2010, 02:05:05 pm
i lost $40.00 at hollywood casino in hershey.  thats enough for me.  forever.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2010, 02:27:21 pm
When I got the bread to lose, I enjoy blackjack. The illusion of math being on my side.

I put a buck or two on the lotto when I think of it. Every time I'm in a new state, I try to collect a losing lottery ticket from that state.

That's about it. I'm a low roller at best.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Choop on September 16, 2010, 03:15:05 pm
five-buck single-shoe blackjack for me. i don't count cards, but i can keep track through a shuffle if there have been more high cards or low cards dealt. usually i come out close to even.

slots, though... i don't care for slots so much. it's too damned random, but for some reason, the only times i've won in vegas have been at slots. a couple times they've paid for the trip there.

but i will not go to a casino outside vegas ever again. every other casino i've been to has sent me busted quick and without even a decent cocktail.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: jaydub on September 16, 2010, 04:11:40 pm
Hate is probably too strong a word for the way I feel about gambling.  Strongly apathetic?  Anytime I'm in a situation where all there is to do is "go to casinos" I spend all my time thinking about the other stuff I could be doing.  Like folding laundry, sleeping, drinking beers in a hot tub - whatever.  Even worse if the people I'm with are into the one-armed bandits.  The images of the faces of the people I've seen there, woodenly feeding dollar after dollar into the machines & slapping the buttons on the cabinet (not even yanking the old-timey lever) - mix of desperation, boredom, and hope on their faces...it makes me think of the rats in addiction studies banging on the lever to pump more cocaine into their systems.

The main exception to the above is playing poker with buddies.  That's usually a good time, assuming there's no douche friend-of-a-friend along who's convinced he's the next big thing in the World Series of Poker or whatever.  All criticising my inept shuffling, "They'd shoot you in Vegas for dealing like that."  Whatever, dude.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Choop on September 16, 2010, 04:25:44 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbmkdD1rwGM
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2010, 04:44:52 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v1JEz3GvHI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v1JEz3GvHI)
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: side_show on September 16, 2010, 05:08:39 pm
I've always hated gambling.  My grandma was a gambling addict and a boy/friend when I was in knucklehead times had a mom who gambled away his and his twin bro's entire university fund.  I see plenty of destitute people who's money would be much better spent on basic needs gambling, and I hate it all the more.  I call it "a tax on people's dreams."

I spent too long not having cash.  It's hard for me to be cavalier about the dockets.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2010, 07:48:16 pm
I'm with Jaydub.  Gambling in a casino, to me, is tedious and boring.  I enjoy playing poker with some friends around the kitchen table, quarter ante.  Even that is only mildly amusing and is way more about being with friends and having drinks and conversation than the card game.  We could just as easily be having a game of scrabble or putting together a puzzle, whatever.  I'm always up for that, I should invite some friends over, it's been awhile.

But gambling in a casino, I'll pass.  Ha ha, get it.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Choop on September 16, 2010, 07:50:26 pm
20 bucks lasts a lot longer at the pinball museum than at any casino.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2010, 08:06:53 pm
I... think I spent a lot more than that at the Pinball Museum the one time I was in Vegas.

Because I am a huge nerd.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 16, 2010, 08:08:20 pm
I have a story vaguely like Asherdan's.  On my second trip to Vegas, we went to the Rio relatively early Saturday morning in order to meet friends for brunch.  We had some time to kill, so I played some blackjack.  I was betting progressively--$5 first, then every time I won I added $5 to the bet, but if I lost I started back at $5.  (I realize this makes no difference in the long run, but it's fun sometimes.)  At one point I won or pushed on something like 12 hands in a row, so by the end of the session I was up $200.  Combined with the $100 I had won the night before, I was rollin'.  (At this point in my life, $300 was a TREMENDOUS sum of money.)

I also drank a lot of toasted almonds during that session.  When the rest of the crew showed up, I gave my roommate the $100 I owed him (as a $100 bill), and said "No matter what happens the rest of this trip, do NOT give this back to me.  We're even."

After brunch I paid for everyone to go on one of those eight-seat auto-racing games in the arcade where you all race simultaneously, and I proved once and for all that you should not drink and drive.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2010, 08:19:51 pm
20 bucks lasts a lot longer at the pinball museum than at any casino.

I'd much rather play pinball that gamble.  I'd actually like to visit Vegas again because that's the home of the Pinball Hall of Fame (http://www.pinballmuseum.org/).

Is that where you were Mets?
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Choop on September 16, 2010, 08:25:44 pm
that pinball hall of fame is exactly where i am talking about. fantastic. they also have orange crush in glass bottles in their vending machine. it doesn't get much better.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Nabubrush on September 16, 2010, 08:27:36 pm
Anything anyone has ever been addicted to, I will get addicted to. It ain't good. I don't like gambling for real money against the house (although I don't have a problem with gambling with friends).
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2010, 08:33:28 pm
The Pinball Hall of Fame is basically the best thing in the world other than ladies.

Holy crap, yes.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2010, 08:41:09 pm
One of the best times of the year for me is the Annual Arcade Expo (http://www.arcadecenter.com/).

It's so much fun.  They turn a hotel conference hall into an old school game room just like I remember from the days of my youth.  They turn the lights down low and put up a disco ball and some neon.  Play some old tunes from those times.  I go in there and feel like I'm 16 again. 
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Nabubrush on September 16, 2010, 08:44:30 pm
The Pinball Hall of Fame is basically the best thing in the world other than ladies.

Holy crap, yes.

We are just wrapping up a remodel of our basement, converting a big empty cement room into a band room and bar. I want to have a pinball machine in there within 365 days.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Choop on September 16, 2010, 09:01:49 pm
most towns have companies that rent out games. it's probably not as fiducially responsible but you could swap out rentals every couplefew months.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2010, 09:02:41 pm
Yeah, if I had Stupid Money, I would definitely own a small arcade of my own.

I've probably posted my wish list somewhere here, over the years, in fact.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2010, 09:22:55 pm
Y'know, the pinball machine at home always sounds awesome but...you'll get tired of the same game. Your guests and friends won't, so if that's the plan then tally-ho...but...I got tired of mine about the time I started having to replace bumper rubber and bulbs and relays and such. They're not rocket science to work with and maintain but they get to be like having the exact same slice of pizza everytime, y'know.

The pinball machine collectors I know are always buying/selling/trading their machine.  When a machine starts to get boring, trade that sucka for another one.

Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Choop on September 16, 2010, 09:37:34 pm
smets if funhouse ain't on your list then your list ain't complete
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2010, 10:01:55 pm
Funhouse is up there, for sure. My selections would be largely sentimental to my age, though, not just for quality of play.

Twilight Zone pinball, Addams Family pinball, Getaway pinball. Cyclone pinball! Maybe the Mars Attacks-ripoff hybrid pinball-videogame rig for novelty.

Gotta have the four player Simpsons and Ninja Turtles video games, the six player X-Men, the Terminator 2 shooter. A Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga split-box fersure.

Coupla lanes of old school woodball skeeball. Some Fascination or Pokerino rigs would fuck*ng rock, real old old old school boardwalk goodness.

That Slugfest game that was kind of a pitch-and-hit pinball game, that's fuck*ng rad as hell.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2010, 10:09:29 pm
I love 'em all (http://www.ipdb.org/)
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Nabubrush on September 16, 2010, 10:27:23 pm
I also considered an old-school pachinko machine, such as my folks brought back with us when we moved back to Alaska from Japan in '72 or thereabouts.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: jay-ell on September 16, 2010, 11:18:53 pm
Addams Family pinball

YES YES YES OMFG YES.

I have to go change my panties now.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 16, 2010, 11:23:44 pm
I liked to hit the flippers to match Thing's snaps, even when the machine didn't do it automatically.

Because...

I am a huge nerd.

"HAVE A NICE SWIM!"
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: miles on September 17, 2010, 12:06:59 am
See, my take on gambling is that you have to know when to hold them, but also know when to fold them. It's pretty complicated shit.

But pinball, FUCK YES! Going to Vegas next weekend. I'll see if I can talk my friend into spending some time at the museum. I love that place. Who knows, maybe I'll take some photos.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: theinevitable on September 17, 2010, 12:10:18 am
I am really bad at every game in the world except for Settlers of Catan. I don't really gamble.

My radio station has the simpsons arcade game. Also Off Road, but it's been broken for a billion years.

The traditional first question during General Manager elections is "when will you fix Off Road?"
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: miles on September 17, 2010, 12:14:05 am
My radio station has the simpsons arcade game.

The Simpsons pinball kicks ass. I would buy that if I had the cash and the space.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: robot_god on September 17, 2010, 12:23:31 am
I'm very glad you all are craps players.

Pinball?  The Who's Tommy.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 17, 2010, 01:19:16 am
TOUAMB meetup in Vegas!  With expeditions to the craps table and the pinball joint.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: side_show on September 17, 2010, 01:44:45 am
Pinball.  Yes.

I remember once, I was playing some rad pin ball machine, and it malfunctioned in the most wonderful way - I just wouldn't stop giving me balls.  First is shot out every ball it contained, then every time I sank one, it was shot back out again.  That was good times.  Eventually my parents made me leave, which was something I did not want to do.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Nabubrush on September 17, 2010, 02:12:30 am
The one thing I really liked in Vegas was the car museum, but then again I didn't go to the pinball dealie.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Choop on September 17, 2010, 02:57:25 am
which car museum? i saw the collection at the old imperial palace years back, heck of a lot of heck of awesome cars from deusenberg to shelby and zonda-- but construction made a ridiculous path through the hotel and garage to get there.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: AugustWest on September 17, 2010, 03:06:59 am
I was all about Silverball Mania (http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2156&picno=36193).
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Choop on September 17, 2010, 03:19:38 am
sorry sir didn't mean to step on your lawn
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: AugustWest on September 17, 2010, 03:33:04 am
sorry sir didn't mean to step on your lawn

Hey!
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Choop on September 17, 2010, 05:27:47 am
lol you know i'm just joshin
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2010, 05:41:10 am
I'm very glad you all are craps players.

Pinball?  The Who's Tommy.

I played that at the expo kickoff party a couple of weeks ago.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Nabubrush on September 17, 2010, 01:57:54 pm
which car museum? i saw the collection at the old imperial palace years back, heck of a lot of heck of awesome cars from deusenberg to shelby and zonda-- but construction made a ridiculous path through the hotel and garage to get there.

That was probably it. It looked like one big floor of a parking garage right in the middle of some old beater hotel there. They had a bunch of shit like Hitler's staff car and all that, but also a bunch of Doozies like you mentioned. Those are awesome.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2010, 05:45:04 pm
My favorite growing up was King Kool (http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1371&picno=1299).  I keep hoping that it will show up at the expo.  I wonder if they have that one at the Hall of Fame in Vegas.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 17, 2010, 07:19:19 pm
If only I had the bread to travel like that, I would highly advocate a TOUAMB meet-up thing in Vegas centred around the Pinball Hall of Fame.

When I was there, it was right across the street from the Liberace museum, too. Though I think the Liberace Museum might move often.

Everybody get a room in some cheap-but-safe almost-out-of-town place and gawk at the local addicts instead of the idiot tourists, only going into Actual Vegas to hit Circus Circus and fight rats with a rake. Document the ghost towns that used to be the residential areas.

But mostly play fuck*ng pinball. Days of fuck*ng pinball.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2010, 08:14:48 pm
I'm down with that plan.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Lister on September 17, 2010, 10:02:20 pm
It seems I must organize a trip to this... how you say, pinball museum, if work takes my company back to Las Vegas.

Also for some reason I prefer slot machines to table games, even though I know the math on them.  They are shiny!  Fortunately I am also cheap, so I haven't ever lost more than I budgeted for entertainment.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 17, 2010, 10:13:06 pm
They got everything from the weirdest old shit to the weirdest new shit.

Hybrid games with, like, a vertical secondary game up top. Half-video game half-pinball shit.

Shit with twenty flippers. Popeye's face goin' all nuts.

A+++, Must Go Again, Great Shipping.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Choop on September 17, 2010, 11:05:36 pm
also they got O.G. machines including one that's craps in disguise "no officer see we're playing pinball" and a couple mechanical shooter games. pinball baseball is odd and oddly entertaining.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Nabubrush on September 18, 2010, 05:36:46 pm
Any of you get to Portland, I'll take you Ground Kontrol (http://www.groundkontrol.com/). It's where I went to my first MetaFilter meetup and met all the folks. They're nice. (I'm pretty sure I've linked to it before.)
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: miles on September 18, 2010, 06:22:35 pm
That place is so dope. Drinking beers and playing pinball.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Nabubrush on September 18, 2010, 06:24:41 pm
Since there was a ref to it, the Liberace museum is closing, I guess (http://www.metafilter.com/95830/a-towering-glittering-icon-from-an-era-now-past-mumbles-a-barely-heard-farewell-as-he-slips-out-the-back-door).
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: robot_god on September 19, 2010, 04:59:20 am
We got the Barcade over here in Brooklyn, they have a slew of retro games, about 30, and a really outstanding selection of microbrews.  It was the hipster mecca of the world for like almost a year.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Doc on September 19, 2010, 05:32:46 am
Mana bar (http://www.manabar.com.au/) opened last year in my town and it's doing pretty well. No arcade machines but flat screens down each wall and a 360, Wii or PS3 attached to each all loaded with cool party games. It's a pretty good time.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Drygioni on September 19, 2010, 08:36:10 pm
Won £40 at the casino last night, fuck yes do I gamble
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: fanta on October 17, 2010, 02:56:16 pm
this book, _How We Decide_ by Jonah Lehrer provides insight into why people gamble, among other things...  the below interview summarizes:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122854276
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Mr Trout on October 24, 2010, 05:00:41 am
Mana bar (http://www.manabar.com.au/) opened last year in my town and it's doing pretty well.

That was opened by the dude that does Zero Punctuation, right? I remember perusing the forums when it opened and people were always complaining about a line to get in. I'm glad a place that nerdy can do good business.

Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Doc on October 24, 2010, 12:43:38 pm
That was opened by the dude that does Zero Punctuation, right? I remember perusing the forums when it opened and people were always complaining about a line to get in. I'm glad a place that nerdy can do good business.

That's the one. It's only been open about a year so we'll see how it does long term. I've never had to wait in line to get in but I've only been a couple of times. I think combination of a fairly small space not on the main drag keeping their rent down and a fairly loyal customer base gives them a fighting chance. I imagine they have some good industry contacts too, they seem to have a different event or pre-release demo going on every other week.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: jay-ell on October 24, 2010, 01:48:05 pm
Wow, I think my crush on Yahtzee Croshaw just grew three sizes. I want to go to there.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Doc on October 24, 2010, 02:08:46 pm
You come visit JL and I'll even buy the drinks.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 01, 2010, 03:13:44 pm
Is this the topic where Paul was going on about pinball?

Anyway, National Pinball Museum opening in DC this week.  w00t

http://www.nationalpinballmuseum.org/
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 01, 2010, 04:24:13 pm
Is this the topic where Paul was going on about pinball?

Anyway, National Pinball Museum opening in DC this week.  w00t

http://www.nationalpinballmuseum.org/

It's unclear whether you will be allowed to actually play the games.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 01, 2010, 05:32:53 pm
They wouldn't let me drive the Deusenbergs at the car museum, either. Fascists.
Title: Re: Are you a gambler?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 01, 2010, 06:31:03 pm
It's unclear whether you will be allowed to actually play the games.

They have a "pay-to-play" area with tables you can actually play.  I'm assuming some of the older/more historic models are off-limits.