The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: JorgeFabregas on September 23, 2010, 12:01:28 pm

Title: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 23, 2010, 12:01:28 pm
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09232010

I had to look up Petra Verkaik.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: wombat on September 23, 2010, 12:03:44 pm
I had to look up Petra Verkaik.

What's the point of a Wikipedia entry for a nude model without a photograph?
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: wombat on September 23, 2010, 12:04:47 pm
Also: Correct thread title. I would also have accepted "We all from decades, you know."
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: miles on September 23, 2010, 12:06:57 pm
Also: Correct thread title. I would also have accepted "We all from decades, you know."

I was going to suggest that was the correct one, but I didn't want to be wrong. I'm going to try to use that today.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: wombat on September 23, 2010, 12:32:56 pm
I think the thread title is a better thread title, but the other is a phrase that the world definitely needed.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: AugustWest on September 23, 2010, 12:42:51 pm
IPE IPE IPE!
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 23, 2010, 12:55:42 pm
It took all that time to come up with "neck-breathin' earth gypsy."

Also:  KOODGE
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: CortJstr on September 23, 2010, 01:27:11 pm
I like how Ray is both delighted by the computer getting eaten and the dog being shot for doing so.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: oball on September 23, 2010, 02:11:12 pm
I liked "it was just a statement from the part of me that's how I am".
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 23, 2010, 02:51:37 pm
I think the long delays are hurting the continuity. First, Teodor's teeth marks were on a burger he never ate. Now Ray has no knowledge of this Known Breakfast Drink that is apparently legendary in its ability to wake him.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: jaydub on September 23, 2010, 03:09:23 pm
"Things that go 'cluck' in the night".
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: Choop on September 23, 2010, 03:09:33 pm
oh goddamnit damnit damnit how can today be monday i woulda swore yesterday was wednesday SHIT did i miss the weekend
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: jay-ell on September 23, 2010, 03:29:59 pm
I'm sorry, you're all wrong. The correct thread title is "Fix-a-Flat for the hard charging man-about-town."

The dialog is old-school 'stad style in this strip, but I think what really took him forever was the sheer length of the strip. This is a week's worth of updates right here -- 21 panels in 6 rows! I would be thrilled with once-a-week updates if they were as meaty as this one.

"We all from decades" is indeed awesome. Also, the Clue-style "[hot chick] in the [room] with the [sensual object]" method of problem-solving.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: pmcd9 on September 23, 2010, 03:57:19 pm
The dialog is old-school 'stad style in this strip, but I think what really took him forever was the sheer length of the strip. This is a week's worth of updates right here -- 21 panels in 6 rows! I would be thrilled with once-a-week updates if they were as meaty as this one.

How sad that a one strip a week schedule seems like an impossible dream at this point.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 23, 2010, 04:39:49 pm
Quote from: JorgeFabregas
Now Ray has no knowledge of this Known Breakfast Drink that is apparently legendary in its ability to wake him.

Not to be all No-Prizey but Ray is severely chemically-altered man of leisure which might lend itself to lost time/memories especially in a state of significant hangover.

Like a computer restarting in safe mode, without access to everything, because it understands Something Is Fucked.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: TripperDay on September 23, 2010, 07:23:39 pm
Ray is in Safe Mode.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: arkabee on September 23, 2010, 08:52:15 pm
don't fuck with abraham lincoln, dog.

Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 23, 2010, 09:46:00 pm
It seems worth pointing out, for the record, that it was more or less forty days between the last "storyline" strip and this one.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: Limmo on September 23, 2010, 10:37:46 pm
see you back here in November!
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: miles on September 24, 2010, 01:01:52 am
I think the thread title is a better thread title, but the other is a phrase that the world definitely needed.

You're right. But I'm also going to make it a point to call my friend a neck-breathin' earth gypsy this weekend when we're in Vegas.

In fact, a book could be compiled with Onstad's useful phrases and awesome insults.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: MagFlare on September 24, 2010, 01:58:21 pm
Man, "neck-breathin' earth gypsy" is a hell of a pejorative. There's a lot going on there -- it's a pretty concise yet poetic way of accusing someone of being an unlovable hillbilly with no concept of personal space.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: wombat on September 24, 2010, 02:15:14 pm
It is. I actually felt sorry for poor creepy Emeril.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: Death Ray on September 24, 2010, 07:14:49 pm
Anyone of y'all grok that the Known Breakfast Drink is what Jeeves prepares for Wooster at the start of their premier episode?
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: AugustWest on September 24, 2010, 08:12:31 pm
Anyone of y'all grok that the Known Breakfast Drink is what Jeeves prepares for Wooster at the start of their premier episode?

I didn't, but here's a can for pointing it out.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on September 24, 2010, 09:39:59 pm
Anyone of y'all grok that the Known Breakfast Drink is what Jeeves prepares for Wooster at the start of their premier episode?

It's mentioned in the alt-text for August 12th, of course.
Title: Re: You neck-breathin' earth gypsy! 9/23/10
Post by: Nabubrush on December 20, 2010, 05:15:46 pm
Late to the party as always, but I'm catching up and this gives me an opportunity to trot out a little "brush with greatness" shit. A really good friend of mine at work - like rare, life-changing friend - is married to Petra Verkaik's cousin. And, unlike Jorge, I knew who Petra was before I even met this guy.

Also, nothing against you, Death Ray, but I feel like you are using grok incorrectly here (and I am not a fan of that word, and am sort of having mixed feelings here pointing this out). Grok was supposed to denote some kind of terribly deep understanding. You seem to be meaning something more like "did anyone catch/note/realize" here.