The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: JorgeFabregas on September 24, 2010, 02:46:08 am

Title: The Cure
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 24, 2010, 02:46:08 am
Hypothesis: The Cure are the real-life musical act most referenced in achewood. Prove me wrong! I think that Onstad has a complicated relationship with The Cure.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Choop on September 24, 2010, 04:21:55 am
charles mingus, johnny cash, billy idol

edit: also what dude's head in a jar

basically that hypothesis needs prooving before you demand disproving STATE YER CASE
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 24, 2010, 04:28:43 am
keith moon/the who
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 24, 2010, 04:52:00 am
I guess I'm thinking of story arcs as a single reference (possibly).
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06262002
The Cure is silly.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01282005
The driftwood will remind him about eternity
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03102004
Kind of listenin' to The Cure and stuff
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02092005
We ain't listenin' to The Cure on the way [We are listening to Sugar Loadzz].
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05162006
Baths only
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03012007
The Cure is on the radio
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: KeithHernandez on September 24, 2010, 07:33:19 am
Man, who doesn't have a complicated relationship with The Cure?  Why couldn't they have just made 2 or 3 Boys Don't Cry and gone about their days.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: oball on September 24, 2010, 11:23:49 am
The Cure made a lot of good music.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: iron_felix on September 28, 2010, 12:23:01 am
You missed one:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05242005
Inside the Volvo of Despair
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 28, 2010, 12:28:11 am
I never had a Cure phase. No one I knew in high school had a Cure phase.

Suddenly, I got to college and knew all kinds of people who had Cure phases.

Is it just a thing that in the rural Northeast pre-internet there wasn't enough Cure penetration to evoke a critical mass of Cure phases?
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 28, 2010, 01:55:35 am
So what's the verdict here, people?
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: robot_god on September 28, 2010, 04:33:06 am
I am in the same boat with smets, I've only heard like three Cure songs on the radio and that's it, ever.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: theinevitable on September 28, 2010, 05:02:54 am
I love Boys Don't Cry (or, Three Imaginary Boys, because that version of the album was 3$ cheaper when I was in high school and wanted to hear the cure.)
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: pmcd9 on September 28, 2010, 05:37:32 am
I didn't listen to a whole lot of Cure, but I didn't grow up in the 80s either.

See also, Depeche Mode.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 28, 2010, 01:30:33 pm
The Cure's "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" was the first CD I ever purchased.  (Note that I am old enough to have used vinyl records, so it's not the first recording overall.)

So yeah, I had a bit of a Cure phase, along with Depeche Mode, the Smiths, New Order, all that bullshit.  The other night I was flipping channels, and VH1 Classic was playing "Just Like Heaven."  I watched for about 30 seconds, and thought "I am embarrassed that I ever actually liked this wussy crap."
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: theinevitable on September 28, 2010, 03:42:16 pm
I do not know if New Order and The Smiths belong in that category.

Johnny Marr, come on! That guitar!

New Order... well... I haven't listened to them a lot, but they could be pretty non-wussy when they were Joy Division.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 28, 2010, 04:05:33 pm
New Order... well... I haven't listened to them a lot, but they could be pretty non-wussy when they were Joy Division.

it doenst get more wussy than depression.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: theinevitable on September 29, 2010, 01:09:44 am
This fucktard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QLxLHQW_M) is a lot wussier than this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lEgoy-Kwu8), and has nothing to do with depression.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: miles on September 29, 2010, 01:42:23 am
Jorge, I think you are correct.

I like the Cure still, but, yeah. The Smiths are in an entirely different category. Joy Division too. But especially the Smiths. And even though I still like the Cure, especially Faith and Pornography, Robert Smith really bugs me. I agree that it is silly to like the Cure (and Depeche Mode for that matter, guilty on that charge as well), but liking the Smiths is just part of being a good person.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 29, 2010, 01:46:10 am
liking the Smiths is just part of being a good person.

i guess im just a dick, then.........

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/inmyskittelz/black_sheep-1.jpg)
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: miles on September 29, 2010, 02:02:30 am
Ha, that photo is so rad. That kid definitely hates the Smiths.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: theinevitable on September 29, 2010, 02:17:04 am
you can say whatever you want, but liking that first Cure album is not wussy at all.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: miles on September 29, 2010, 02:19:36 am
I wouldn't go so far as to say that it is wussy, and the early stuff isn't wussy by any definition of that word, but it's silly to like them. I'm silly.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: oball on September 29, 2010, 03:08:42 am
I just listen to whatever the fuck music I want and don't give a fuck what other people think about it.  I've found it is the best way.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: pmcd9 on September 29, 2010, 03:12:17 am
I bought a Paul McCartney album today.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: AugustWest on September 29, 2010, 01:51:27 pm
I just listen to whatever the fuck music I want and don't give a fuck what other people think about it.  I've found it is the best way.

I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter, good sir.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: pubdoggy on September 29, 2010, 02:57:56 pm
How about the Oasis http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07142003 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07142003) arc? They had a pretty good run.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: TripperDay on September 29, 2010, 03:59:59 pm
I bought a Paul McCartney album today.

Damn, son. You sure you want on the internet where anyone can find out?

What do y'all think the Tenmen sound like?
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: pmcd9 on September 29, 2010, 04:04:57 pm
I'm just sayin... I bought a Paul McCartney album and even I think it's silly to like the Cure.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: CortJstr on September 29, 2010, 04:32:16 pm
Damn, son. You sure you want on the internet where anyone can find out?

What do y'all think the Tenmen sound like?

There used to be two Tenmen songs on the Radio Achewood page. They... they were not good.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Harlock Hero on September 29, 2010, 05:25:05 pm
I'm with oball on these matters, so I fully admit to liking The Cure (particularly Boys Don't Cry/Imaginary-era, then the Pornography-Disintegration-Bloodflowers "trilogy")(actually wearing a Cure shirt right now -_- ) AND Oasis (What's the Story (Morning Glory)? is just a damn solid album).

(Stackin' parenthetical asides three-deep since 1983.)
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: wombat on September 29, 2010, 10:27:17 pm
OK, it's time to confess, I am not sure I have ever heard The Cure. How about somebody link to some song that's so famous that you're totally flabbergasted if I've really never heard it, and I'll check it out.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 29, 2010, 10:42:58 pm
This is probably their most famous:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvzlEfBYKVw
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: wombat on September 29, 2010, 11:13:38 pm
Nope. Never heard it. I think I spent most of the eighties playing medieval and Renaissance music.

I imagined something totally different from the pictures. Weird.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: miles on September 29, 2010, 11:15:29 pm
More like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRqvUDuXBQY)?
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 29, 2010, 11:18:45 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS_ux2H473I
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: miles on September 29, 2010, 11:21:51 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n2t7on6MR8

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX-Pd6NRK9s
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: wombat on September 29, 2010, 11:40:10 pm
More like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRqvUDuXBQY)?

Yes, that makes a little more sense.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: theinevitable on September 30, 2010, 03:33:56 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJLOr8S2d2E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbJwTyCcvYs&feature=related
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: arkabee on September 30, 2010, 02:41:06 pm
Is it just a thing that in the rural Northeast pre-internet there wasn't enough Cure penetration to evoke a critical mass of Cure phases?

you sound like a man in dire need of some Cure penetration.
/me puts the Boys Don't Cry single on the Victrola.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Nabubrush on October 01, 2010, 02:01:42 am
Jesus fuck who cares.

The Cure is pure wussy pop and it is fuck*ng awesome. I'll tell you what, you ask Sir Paul what he thinks about the Cure and he'd say it was pretty finely crafted music.

Of course, I only listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtnG6EHh1N4), over and over. My Mom turned me on to it.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: AugustWest on October 01, 2010, 01:33:05 pm
The Cure just ain't my thang.  It's cool if it's your thang, but it ain't my thang.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Choop on October 01, 2010, 03:04:44 pm
Beats me, man. Beats me why people like the Cure. Sure as hell ain't my scene.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 01, 2010, 04:06:21 pm
anthrax vs. the cure: discuss
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 01, 2010, 04:35:25 pm
Has The Cure ever done a collaboration with Public Enemy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBA-xi8WuCU)?
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: lprkn on October 01, 2010, 05:26:33 pm
Of course, I only listen to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtnG6EHh1N4), over and over. My Mom turned me on to it.

Long live drone.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: pmcd9 on October 01, 2010, 06:35:15 pm
Anthrax played in Houston on Sunday (http://www.flickr.com/photos/groovehouse/sets/72157624925037929/with/5032015284/).  I wanted to go so bad, but couldn't muster the coin.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 01, 2010, 06:59:40 pm
My favourite Anthrax song is, oddly, their cover of Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song".

This sounds like a recipe for dissonance but it just PUNISHES.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Nabubrush on October 02, 2010, 07:25:53 pm
My favourite Anthrax song is, oddly, their cover of Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song".

This sounds like a recipe for dissonance but it just PUNISHES.

I . . . had no idea this existed. I'm off to go find it, as Phillo is my favorite.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 02, 2010, 07:44:01 pm
It was the b-side for the Black Lodge single.

Of course, now that we're in The Future, we don't need to track down CDs anymore.

I kinda miss that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnY4D5jtMo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnY4D5jtMo)
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Nabubrush on October 02, 2010, 08:41:48 pm
Looks like it showed up on a Thin Lizzy covers album, too.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Nabubrush on October 02, 2010, 08:49:41 pm
Well, it's certainly faithful.

Edit: Jesus that tribute album is awful. What's with the metal bands fronted by Cookie Monster? Can that stop, please?
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: pmcd9 on October 02, 2010, 09:38:09 pm
Jesus that tribute album is awful. What's with the metal bands fronted by Cookie Monster? Can that stop, please?

How about indy bands that find virtue in not knowing how to play their instruments very well.  Can we do away with that too?
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 02, 2010, 09:54:19 pm
And cue Dan's speech about how the only good music is by people who don't know how to play their instruments.

Because they spent all their trust-fund stipends on Pabst Blue Ribbon and ironic tee-shirts from the Salvation Army.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Nabubrush on October 02, 2010, 10:53:08 pm
And cue Dan's speech about how the only good music is by people who don't know how to play their instruments.

Because they spent all their trust-fund stipends on Pabst Blue Ribbon and ironic tee-shirts from the Salvation Army.

I'm all for people who can't play their instruments. Hell, that's me.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 03, 2010, 12:14:29 am
How about indy bands that find virtue in not knowing how to play their instruments very well.  Can we do away with that too?

you dont like the ramones?
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 03, 2010, 12:35:28 am
I don't mind if part of your thing as a band is your pose.

I get it, I understand the deal, you get your following by getting a "scene" to identify you, that's fine.

But if ALL the band has going for it is the pose, the band sucks.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 03, 2010, 04:02:38 am
And cue Dan's speech about how the only good music is by people who don't know how to play their instruments.

Because they spent all their trust-fund stipends on Pabst Blue Ribbon and ironic tee-shirts from the Salvation Army.

You can have both mate
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Dangermoose on October 03, 2010, 04:10:33 am
I'm not too aware of any indie bands who are proud of sucking at music.  I know that was a punk thing, but these newfangled indie kids are generally downright precocious.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Choop on October 03, 2010, 05:36:50 am
question never heard: "what ever happened to math rock"
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 03, 2010, 05:38:21 am
And even if it were asked, people would totally assume you meant "Matlock".
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: oball on October 03, 2010, 01:21:50 pm
What's with the metal bands fronted by Cookie Monster? Can that stop, please?

Nothing wrong with cookie monster vocals.  For example, Opeth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB1NuL-8Dhc) and Swallow The Sun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6f_bv-aV8) both use them to good effect.

Although granted I do generally prefer the black metal rasp to the death metal growl.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 03, 2010, 02:20:05 pm
cobra commander vocal ftw
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: robot_god on October 03, 2010, 07:12:27 pm
Opeth is the one of the greatest live acts ever (edit: is the greatest), not the smallest reason being Akerfeldt's hilarious mic banter.  The performances are tremendous but it's like I'm happy when songs end because I can't wait to hear what he's going to say next.  Also once I did shrooms at the show:  brilliant.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: oball on October 04, 2010, 12:49:27 am
I've seen them live twice.  They are my favourite band.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Nabubrush on October 04, 2010, 02:34:25 am
Nothing wrong with cookie monster vocals.  For example, Opeth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB1NuL-8Dhc) and Swallow The Sun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6f_bv-aV8) both use them to good effect.

Although granted I do generally prefer the black metal rasp to the death metal growl.

I should have said "for me, the cookie monster-fronted metal band thing does not work. I cannot focus on the music without wincing."

You feel free to enjoy it, though.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: robot_god on October 04, 2010, 08:23:43 am
I've seen them live twice.  They are my favourite band.

Oh dang, now I see that you're an Aussie.  Did you see that Grand Final Replay?  St. Kilda, amirite?

Anyway, I saw 'em twice too, but once with the shrooms and the other time I didn't pay soooo... I think I'm kinda in the lead.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: theinevitable on October 05, 2010, 06:25:08 pm
I think I am increasingly realizing that any really "affected" vocal style drives me insane. Whether it's cookie monster, weird hardcore screaming, or cutesy joanna newsom/dirty projectors crap.
am I making an arbitrary distinction between singing, which is inherently an affected style, and the styles I dislike? probably.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 05, 2010, 07:57:32 pm
Dude, do you understand that so much of what I don't like about some of the bands you push is that their musical style is the painful affection that "playing your instruments well smacks of effort so we're gonna try really really hard to seem like we're not trying?"

I don't mind a band that plays simple things early on and grows their work as they get experience. That's fine by me, I like some minimalist stuff that is well-structured and considered in its minimalism.

But so many of the "we can't play!" bands are a fuck*ng POSE about how effort ain't cool and how off-the-cuff genius is all that matters and people who have to work hard to do good things suck, here we are just strumming away and we're fuck*ng amazing and we aren't even trying!

It is what I hate about the majority of the fuck*ng beatnik writers too. The fuck*ng POSE. "Oh, I just automatically wrote this shit and didn't edit it, you're assholes for trying, fuck you!"
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 05, 2010, 11:17:00 pm
Where the fuck did that come from?
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: wombat on October 05, 2010, 11:21:01 pm
Quote
Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Nabubrush on October 06, 2010, 12:05:19 am
Dude, do you understand that so much of what I don't like about some of the bands you push is that their musical style is the painful affection that "playing your instruments well smacks of effort so we're gonna try really really hard to seem like we're not trying?"

Relax a touch, wouldja?
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: theinevitable on October 06, 2010, 12:49:22 am
but, like, me liking these bands is not some sort of weird pose.

I'm not saying "oh man, Thee Oh Sees' guitarist plays like shit, and I love how much this pisses on the idea of being good at your instrument, I am going to play their music in my house/car all the time and try to ignore it."
I'm saying "oh man, I really like the brutal, noisy way that John Dwyer plays his guitar. I find a lot of guitar playing to be boring, but hooo boy, this is really fun to listen to. I like listening to this music, so I will listen to it."

If i enjoy listening to music that sounds like this, it does not seem like a huge jump to say that the reason they make it is because it is the kind of music they like.

I have also thought a lot about the whole concept of "lo-fi" recording lately, and I think I have realized something. I am going to discuss this in the "What I'm listening to" thread, I think.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: wombat on October 06, 2010, 01:33:59 am
"I like listening to this music, so I will listen to it."

It ought to be this simple.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Nabubrush on October 06, 2010, 02:34:58 am
Roll with it, inev. It's all good.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Dangermoose on October 06, 2010, 04:18:52 pm
Is there an affectation where in order to be a good writer you have to act difficult and cantankerous?

Oh, is it not an affectation?

Well, then maybe other things that appear to be affectations are just different approaches to music that don't sound right to you.  They might sound right to others.
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Choop on October 06, 2010, 04:21:43 pm
this just in: people with different concepts of good drawn to different styles of expression
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 06, 2010, 05:17:51 pm
oh yeah?!  well..... MY Jesus is better than YOURS!
Title: Re: The Cure
Post by: Nabubrush on October 07, 2010, 10:40:32 pm
oh yeah?!  well..... MY Jesus is better than YOURS!

You are just the kind of person who would like Jesus.