Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Cure  (Read 11787 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
The Cure
« on: September 24, 2010, 02:46:08 am »

Hypothesis: The Cure are the real-life musical act most referenced in achewood. Prove me wrong! I think that Onstad has a complicated relationship with The Cure.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:21:55 am »

charles mingus, johnny cash, billy idol

edit: also what dude's head in a jar

basically that hypothesis needs prooving before you demand disproving STATE YER CASE
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Cure
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 04:28:43 am »

keith moon/the who
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 04:52:00 am »

I guess I'm thinking of story arcs as a single reference (possibly).
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06262002
The Cure is silly.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01282005
The driftwood will remind him about eternity
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03102004
Kind of listenin' to The Cure and stuff
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02092005
We ain't listenin' to The Cure on the way [We are listening to Sugar Loadzz].
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05162006
Baths only
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03012007
The Cure is on the radio
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:33:19 am »

Man, who doesn't have a complicated relationship with The Cure?  Why couldn't they have just made 2 or 3 Boys Don't Cry and gone about their days.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

oball

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 128
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 507
  • In excess of seven ding dongs
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

The Cure made a lot of good music.
Logged
Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:23:01 am »

You missed one:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05242005
Inside the Volvo of Despair
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: The Cure
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 12:28:11 am »

I never had a Cure phase. No one I knew in high school had a Cure phase.

Suddenly, I got to college and knew all kinds of people who had Cure phases.

Is it just a thing that in the rural Northeast pre-internet there wasn't enough Cure penetration to evoke a critical mass of Cure phases?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 01:55:35 am »

So what's the verdict here, people?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: The Cure
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 04:33:06 am »

I am in the same boat with smets, I've only heard like three Cure songs on the radio and that's it, ever.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Cure
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 05:02:54 am »

I love Boys Don't Cry (or, Three Imaginary Boys, because that version of the album was 3$ cheaper when I was in high school and wanted to hear the cure.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: The Cure
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 05:37:32 am »

I didn't listen to a whole lot of Cure, but I didn't grow up in the 80s either.

See also, Depeche Mode.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: The Cure
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 01:30:33 pm »

The Cure's "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" was the first CD I ever purchased.  (Note that I am old enough to have used vinyl records, so it's not the first recording overall.)

So yeah, I had a bit of a Cure phase, along with Depeche Mode, the Smiths, New Order, all that bullshit.  The other night I was flipping channels, and VH1 Classic was playing "Just Like Heaven."  I watched for about 30 seconds, and thought "I am embarrassed that I ever actually liked this wussy crap."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: The Cure
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 03:42:16 pm »

I do not know if New Order and The Smiths belong in that category.

Johnny Marr, come on! That guitar!

New Order... well... I haven't listened to them a lot, but they could be pretty non-wussy when they were Joy Division.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The Cure
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2010, 04:05:33 pm »

New Order... well... I haven't listened to them a lot, but they could be pretty non-wussy when they were Joy Division.

it doenst get more wussy than depression.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up