The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: smick on October 18, 2010, 11:28:57 pm

Title: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: smick on October 18, 2010, 11:28:57 pm
I've been mad at David Lynch since Inland Empire.

I don't like that he has a hand in this.

(Though I appreciate the organ in early panels...)

Edited for Linkage by JL:

Diverting Peter C. (http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/one_strip?b=M^a11f09b8576e606bcb5038dfdb92fb821&u=http://achewood.com/comic.php%3Fdate%3D10182010)

Edited for exclamations of fucks by Smick: Whoops! 
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 18, 2010, 11:47:11 pm
The use of Bill Murray is strangely timely.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: miles on October 19, 2010, 12:20:46 am
"On my better days, yeah" is the perfect response to whether you know what suppurating means. The perfect Ray response, and a good phrase to have in your back pocket, just in case.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: CortJstr on October 19, 2010, 12:22:54 am
Just to save people some time: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suppurating
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: wombat on October 19, 2010, 12:57:45 am
I think Baltimore is a bad choice to represent a blank area in the national conciousness. Ray really needs to get this guy on track.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: smick on October 19, 2010, 01:06:08 am
Driving home I recalled that I had recently discussed about how I didn't enjoy the last David Lynch movie I watched. (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,3186.msg95340.html#msg95340)
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: wombat on October 19, 2010, 01:21:06 am
Wow, that's a great thread. Much better use of time than actually watching a movie.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 19, 2010, 01:42:13 am
Appropos of little, I just saw a facebook ad for the oft-delayed third Dark hoss achewood book.

Ship date of December 1st.

It just seemed worth mentioning.

EDIT: and mere minutes later, a namecheck in a Cracked article: http://www.cracked.com/article_18817_5-reasons-future-will-be-ruled-by-b.s._p2.html (http://www.cracked.com/article_18817_5-reasons-future-will-be-ruled-by-b.s._p2.html)
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: Choop on October 19, 2010, 03:26:27 am
i can't be the only one that doesn't want to link to assetbar.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10182010 (posterity)
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: CortJstr on October 19, 2010, 03:45:42 am
i can't be the only one that doesn't want to link to assetbar.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10182010 (posterity)

Can'd
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 19, 2010, 06:33:30 am
that dudes face looks like the johnny cash face ornstrode used.....
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: Lister on October 19, 2010, 10:16:27 am
Ray's phone is different each time he uses one.

Also, "So don't make that movie" is something that needs to be said more often to people. And those people should listen.

Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 19, 2010, 01:11:28 pm
Grant Lee Phillips!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVnWAkOGxK0
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: AugustWest on October 19, 2010, 02:45:56 pm
Wow.  That David Lynch, he's pretty kooky, huh?
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: Dangermoose on October 19, 2010, 06:52:28 pm
Just to save people some time: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/suppurating

suppurating is gross. 
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 19, 2010, 07:39:50 pm
Enjoyment of comic requires viewing of films I will probably never view. Looking forward to getting next comic for Christmas.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: greenkoolayd on October 19, 2010, 10:08:59 pm
Looking forward to getting next comic for Christmas.

like in those days when an orange was one of a kids most looked-forward-to gifts?
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: wombat on October 21, 2010, 02:17:59 am
For a bunch of people who whine so much about not having a new comic, we sure don't have a lot to say once we get one.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: smick on October 21, 2010, 02:40:00 am
It's kinda like... we're on a really long road trip... and we're still in Utah.   

Utah and this story line are pretty homogeneous. 

Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 21, 2010, 02:43:24 am
There kinda wasn't much to say.

It was a momentary diversion on the road to, hopefully eventually, a plot, y'know?
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: AugustWest on October 21, 2010, 04:02:34 am
There kinda wasn't much to say.

It was a momentary diversion on the road to, hopefully eventually, a plot, y'know?

This.

Although I will say that Onstad managed to capture the essence of a horribly mangled Bill Murray remarkably well.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: wombat on October 21, 2010, 12:47:00 pm
Sigh. Back when Phillippe was standing on it, no one griped about anything as mundane as a plot.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: arkabee on October 21, 2010, 04:35:11 pm
Sigh. Back when Phillippe was standing on it, no one griped about anything as mundane as a plot.

i agree completely. 

however, phillipe standing on it represents a one-off, non-arced story.  it was, and others of its type are, completely self contained.

the brilliance of the phillipe standing on it stories was that while 100% self-contained, the made reference to an immense universe of achewood that had not been told or storied.  the possibly retarded otter was both self contained and a portal to a universe.

regardless, the strip stood on its own.

as such, looking at, like as at a picture, i could see the entirety of it and comment on it.  hey, i could say, look! phillipe is standing on it.  hey, i could say, look! the mona lisa isn't very pretty.

with story-arc strips, though, i can look upon them and see much, but by their very inclusion into a story arc i respect the artist's desire for me to see them in continuity.  it is rude of me to appraise the strip of its complete value until i have viewed the entire arc.

if i wasn't to wait, why would i have been presented an arc?

if i were to partake of the strip as a singularity, it would have been presented to me as a big mac, modulated but complete, and not as a mc-dlt, which was separate.  one did not eat the cold side cold, and then, later, upon receipt of the hot side eat the hot side.  the mc-dlt was not 2 entities, separate, alone.  no, it was a series of sandwich halves which must be combined into a singular sandwich entity.

i may appreciate, say, the insane brilliance of the cold half, the bill murray representation.  i may appreciate, as it were, the hot side of ray's complete being encapsulated into the witty banter of a patty in a strip.

but, i may not conjoin the two and offer an opinion as to my meal until the chef has given me his full offering.

anything else would be uncivilized.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 21, 2010, 05:03:00 pm
If we weren't in the middle of a... glacial... plot, I'd completely agree with you, wombies.

But, like, it is clear that we aren't going to get out of this story and onto ideas (plotty or un-plotty) the author is even slightly interested in, we've gotta get back up on this plot and ride it out first.

At this point, I would have no qualms with the next strip being Ray stepping out of the shower and finding Phillipe freshly returned from his mother's house and freshly standing on it, everything since having been a Smuckles marihuana fever dream, ushering a long stretch of more frequent plotless one-offs. I would be pretty jazzed at that prospect, actually.

But the author does not seem like the kind of dude who would just admit defeat like that, even to get out of a floundering creative decision. It all just still feels like the end of the Phillipe's homeward bound arc was... the ending to MASH. Tidy, y'know? Alan Alda kills a baby he thinks is a chicken and everybody goes home but Klinger. Again. Tidy.

And yet, after MASH, some of the people still liked their steady jobs and so they made AFTER-MASH, just because they didn't know what to do next and... yeah.

Only television geeks even REMEMBER AFTER-MASH. I dunno. You all know what I mean.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: pmcd9 on October 21, 2010, 05:24:41 pm
Onstad used to abandon storylines all the time. 
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: washort on October 21, 2010, 07:17:50 pm
In case you were wondering, that's an ondes_Martenot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondes_Martenot).
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: smick on October 21, 2010, 07:21:14 pm
You're pithy and educational, for that I salute you.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: pmcd9 on October 21, 2010, 07:23:31 pm
In case you were wondering, that's an ondes_Martenot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondes_Martenot).

I did not know and I wasn't wondering.  I just thought it was a pretty organ.  Wow, I had no idea this existed.  Fantastic!!!
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 21, 2010, 07:23:36 pm
Only television geeks even REMEMBER AFTER-MASH. I dunno. You all know what I mean.

AFTERMASH should be a label for light-hearted rap albums and mashups.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 21, 2010, 07:24:47 pm
In case you were wondering, that's an ondes_Martenot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ondes_Martenot).

Can'd. Neat find.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: pmcd9 on October 21, 2010, 07:29:39 pm
I just discovered that there's an Ondes Martenot on How to Disappear Completely (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chE1_g3GAWw).
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: pmcd9 on October 21, 2010, 08:55:25 pm
I don't normally get involved with these discussions, but the proper thread title is "Moaning Bucket of Tar."
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: robot_god on October 21, 2010, 11:39:05 pm
For a bunch of people who whine so much about not having a new comic, we sure don't have a lot to say once we get one.

We're just takin' it slow.  We got all month to discuss it.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 21, 2010, 11:45:54 pm
Not to mention that even next month when we get the next strip, the main jist will still be "the bear is being tortured in the van and I guess the cats will eventually shamble toward the goal of intervening".

So we got the heart of the next one covered already.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: theinevitable on October 22, 2010, 12:29:45 am
It is interesting how early inventors of electronic instruments didn't go straight for "it's a guitar, but electric" or "it's a piano, but electric." They went for these weird theremin-type things that mostly seem good for making weird noises.

maybe this has to do with the ways you make electric things make noise, I guess.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: wombat on October 22, 2010, 12:46:23 am
We're just takin' it slow.  We got all month to discuss it.

I would give you a thousand cans but I don't think Ash could take it again so soon.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: pmcd9 on October 22, 2010, 04:38:20 am
I haven't said it as much, but I don't like the arbitrary 1000 can donations either.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 22, 2010, 01:38:35 pm
It is interesting how early inventors of electronic instruments didn't go straight for "it's a guitar, but electric" or "it's a piano, but electric." They went for these weird theremin-type things that mostly seem good for making weird noises.

maybe this has to do with the ways you make electric things make noise, I guess.

Early electronic instruments were made by and for people who were interested in electronic music. Weird, crazy, sound-scape kinds of things. They wanted a completely different sound from the "played out" mainstream instruments that they felt had already done any interesting thing they could do. They wanted experimental music, and computer-controlled oscilloscopes were the new frontier. Decades later, the mainstream discovered they could turn it into all key-tars and drum-sounding metronomes, and the rest is a sad shambles.

My "electronic music" class in college has REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS!
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: jay-ell on October 22, 2010, 01:52:30 pm
Decades later, the mainstream discovered they could turn it into all key-tars and drum-sounding metronomes, and the rest is a sad shambles pure awesome.


FTFY.

Quote
My "electronic music" class in college has REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS!

Education.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: pmcd9 on October 22, 2010, 01:55:06 pm
It is interesting how early inventors of electronic instruments didn't go straight for "it's a guitar, but electric" or "it's a piano, but electric." They went for these weird theremin-type things that mostly seem good for making weird noises.

This was in the 1920s before the guitar had been invented.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: wombat on October 22, 2010, 04:59:27 pm
I haven't said it as much, but I don't like the arbitrary 1000 can donations either.

Good, because I never give arbitrary thousand cans.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: wombat on October 22, 2010, 05:01:10 pm
My "electronic music" class in college has REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS!

Pedro thinks this board is the real world. Don't anyone say anything, OK?
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 23, 2010, 05:03:22 am
This was in the 1920s before the guitar had been invented.

Wait, what?  I am going to have to call bullshit on that.  Or was that a joke?
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: smick on October 23, 2010, 08:22:03 am
Wait, what?  I am going to have to call bullshit on that.  Or was that a joke?

I think he means to say "Electric guitar".
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 23, 2010, 08:37:32 am
But he was replying to this:

It is interesting how early inventors of electronic instruments didn't go straight for "it's a guitar, but electric" or "it's a piano, but electric." They went for these weird theremin-type things that mostly seem good for making weird noises.
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: pmcd9 on October 23, 2010, 03:50:42 pm
It was a joke. 

But what I should have said is that the people that created these instruments were trying to create something new to play serious music.  Music to be played in music halls alongside violins and cellos.  And at that time the guitar wasn't a serious instrument, it was primarily used for playing folk music and jazz.  There is no guitar in the symphony.

And simply making something electric is not the same thing at all as making something electronic.  If you just wanted to amplify something, well they already knew how to do that. 
Title: Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
Post by: Lister on October 27, 2010, 09:09:50 am
Quote from: Thomas Pynchon
"What's happening?" Oedipa whispered.

"That's by Stockhausen," the hip graybeard informed her, "the early crowd tends to dig your Radio Cologne sound. Later on we really swing. We're the only bar in the area, you know, has a strictly electronic music policy. Come on around Saturdays, starting midnight we have your Sinewave Session, that's a live gettogether, fellas come in just to jam from all over the state, San Jose, Santa Barbara, San Diego."

"Live?" Metzger said, "electronic music, live?"

"They put it on the tape, here, live, fella. We got a whole back room full of your audio oscillators, gunshot machines, contact mikes, everything man. That's for if you didn't bring your ax, see, but you got the feeling and you want to swing with the rest of the cats, there's always something available."