Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10  (Read 7737 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2010, 07:29:39 pm »

I just discovered that there's an Ondes Martenot on How to Disappear Completely.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 08:55:25 pm »

I don't normally get involved with these discussions, but the proper thread title is "Moaning Bucket of Tar."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2010, 11:39:05 pm »

For a bunch of people who whine so much about not having a new comic, we sure don't have a lot to say once we get one.

We're just takin' it slow.  We got all month to discuss it.
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 11:45:54 pm »

Not to mention that even next month when we get the next strip, the main jist will still be "the bear is being tortured in the van and I guess the cats will eventually shamble toward the goal of intervening".

So we got the heart of the next one covered already.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 12:29:45 am »

It is interesting how early inventors of electronic instruments didn't go straight for "it's a guitar, but electric" or "it's a piano, but electric." They went for these weird theremin-type things that mostly seem good for making weird noises.

maybe this has to do with the ways you make electric things make noise, I guess.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 12:46:23 am »

We're just takin' it slow.  We got all month to discuss it.

I would give you a thousand cans but I don't think Ash could take it again so soon.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 04:38:20 am »

I haven't said it as much, but I don't like the arbitrary 1000 can donations either.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 01:38:35 pm »

It is interesting how early inventors of electronic instruments didn't go straight for "it's a guitar, but electric" or "it's a piano, but electric." They went for these weird theremin-type things that mostly seem good for making weird noises.

maybe this has to do with the ways you make electric things make noise, I guess.

Early electronic instruments were made by and for people who were interested in electronic music. Weird, crazy, sound-scape kinds of things. They wanted a completely different sound from the "played out" mainstream instruments that they felt had already done any interesting thing they could do. They wanted experimental music, and computer-controlled oscilloscopes were the new frontier. Decades later, the mainstream discovered they could turn it into all key-tars and drum-sounding metronomes, and the rest is a sad shambles.

My "electronic music" class in college has REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS!
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »

Decades later, the mainstream discovered they could turn it into all key-tars and drum-sounding metronomes, and the rest is a sad shambles pure awesome.


FTFY.

Quote
My "electronic music" class in college has REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS!

Education.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 01:55:06 pm »

It is interesting how early inventors of electronic instruments didn't go straight for "it's a guitar, but electric" or "it's a piano, but electric." They went for these weird theremin-type things that mostly seem good for making weird noises.

This was in the 1920s before the guitar had been invented.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2010, 04:59:27 pm »

I haven't said it as much, but I don't like the arbitrary 1000 can donations either.

Good, because I never give arbitrary thousand cans.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2010, 05:01:10 pm »

My "electronic music" class in college has REAL WORLD APPLICATIONS!

Pedro thinks this board is the real world. Don't anyone say anything, OK?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2010, 05:03:22 am »

This was in the 1920s before the guitar had been invented.

Wait, what?  I am going to have to call bullshit on that.  Or was that a joke?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2010, 08:22:03 am »

Wait, what?  I am going to have to call bullshit on that.  Or was that a joke?

I think he means to say "Electric guitar".
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: I could call a picture like that... Sloplung! -- 10/18/10
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2010, 08:37:32 am »

But he was replying to this:

It is interesting how early inventors of electronic instruments didn't go straight for "it's a guitar, but electric" or "it's a piano, but electric." They went for these weird theremin-type things that mostly seem good for making weird noises.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up